• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DbECzLB.gif

z36d6HO.png

Release Date: 5/21/2019
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PC (Steam), Xbox One, Playstation 4
Price: 39.99$ USD
Players: Up to 12 online, 4 players offline
Developer: Sumo Digital
Composers: Jun Senoue, Tee Lopes, Tomoya Ohtani, Hidekuni Horita
Media: Physical + Digital for PS4, Switch, XBO | PC Digital Only
System Requirements PC:
  • CPU: Intel i5 5th gen @ 2.7Ghz
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit or newer
  • Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 (2 GB)/AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 GB)

The game offers classic races in which the players compete against each other for first place. However, it differs from traditional kart racers because of its focus on cooperative gameplay: the player is part of a team of three racers and they must work together.

Much like its predecessors, Team Sonic Racing is a kart racing game where characters compete in races in sports cars. Unlike the previous games, the cast and locations are entirely from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Players can also achieve speed boosts by successfully drifting around corners or by performing tricks while in midair.

0fJJvRD.png

An alien tanuki named Dodon Pa sends invitations to Sonic the Hedgehog and several of his friends, inviting them to compete in a series of team-based races. He builds cars outfitted with advanced technology for each of the racers, offering them as a prize for the winning team. Though they are skeptical of Dodon Pa's motivations, Sonic and the others agree. The competition takes them across the world, with Dodon Pa pitting them against increasingly difficult challenges.

During the competition, the racers remain suspicious of Dodon Pa, believing him to be working with Doctor Eggman. Investigating further, they discover he is king of the planet Donpa Kingdom and the president of the Donpa Motors automotive corporation. The company is constructing an Ultimate Energy Engine, which gains power from Ultimate Team Energy generated by teamwork. Intending it for philanthropic use, Dodon Pa had been using the races to gather research data for the engine and generate energy to power it.

Dodon_Pa.jpg

b7OnZx5.png

Lvy8i6y.jpg

CCqLRsK.jpg

8qGRqBHl.jpg

CCqRbCG.png

Vehicles have customization options as well that adjust the performance and appearance of a playable character's vehicle, with new parts for cars unlocked as the player progresses through the game. Each character gets nine parts to choose from divided into three each for the vehicle's front, rear, and wheels, giving a total of 135 parts in the game. Parts modify cars' handling, boost, acceleration, defense, and top speed, and players can also make aesthetic changes such as paint jobs and horn sounds.

61jgPUT.gif
IYawQ6I.gif

NuIhypP.png

The Wisps now function as the power-ups in the game, and racers can use up to 14 kinds of Wisps to help themselves or to hinder their rivals, such as using White Wisps for a speed boost, using Orange or Crimson Wisps as projectiles to throw at rivals, or Blue and Black Wisps to drop behind their car.

46aUx2c.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed by the name of the OT.

In other news, I'm hyped to finally play this tomorrow. Shame the steam release is not at midnight.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Would love impressions of switch docked split screen. Sounds like performance sub-60 on PS4 so I'll go for switch if it's not like 15fps

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I haven't played a racing game in many years, this one looks interesting enough. Thanks for the OT, OP.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nice OT, but the gifs are gonna kill my phone :p

Would love impressions of switch docked split screen. Sounds like performance sub-60 on PS4 so I'll go for switch if it's not like 15fps
PS4 is around 60 most of the time, with some drops in some tracks and heavy drops with the team ultimates. Switch is 30FPS overall, but there isn't footage of 4 player split screen there I think.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How do you even buy this game? I can't find it on UK PSN. There's no preorder page?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
The previous games never really grabbed my attention but this one looks pretty damn promising. Seems very interesting.

Great OT! Love the gif at the top

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
"why is sonic in a car though"
I know that you're joking, but in the story they explain why they're all using cars :p

Edit: BTW, to anyone who actually wants to watch the story, you have to start the events with Square / X (on Xbox) / Y (on Switch). Otherwise, you'll just skip the cutscene.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Nice OT, but the gifs are gonna kill my phone :p

PS4 is around 60 most of the time, with some drops in some tracks and heavy drops with the team ultimates. Switch is 30FPS overall, but there isn't footage of 4 player split screen there I think.
PS4 is capped at 30 in split screen and it seems to drop into the 20s pretty much constantly, so Switch probably isn't gonna be great with it.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100%ing Transformed's career mode in anticipation. Just one star left to go on this Curien Mansion boost race before I get all 232!

Oct 28, 2017
Downloading on Switch now. Went with this over RE4. Absolute insanity that the day portable RE4 comes out I choose something else instead. See Capcom if your pricing wasn't so insane this wouldn't have happened. Looking forward to playing this. I expect it to be very good but not as good as Transformed.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still wrong they didn't include Cream. Here's how I would have handled including Cream and 2 more characters. Add Espio and Charmy and move Vector to form a proper Team Chaotix, and put Cream on Blaze and Silver's team as a technique character and make Silver a power character. Cream and Blaze on the same team makes sense because they were best friends in Sonic Rush.

Good OT title by the way.

Oct 28, 2017
Still wrong they didn't include Cream. Here's how I would have handled including Cream and 2 more characters. Add Espio and Charmy and move Vector to form a proper Team Chaotix, and put Cream on Blaze and Silver's team as a technique character and make Silver a power character. Cream and Blaze on the same team makes sense because they were best friends in Sonic Rush.

But then we wouldn't have room for Zavok, and we know he's everyone's favourite character.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I've got my qualms about the roster. Even without the SEGA stars, I wish they had gone deeper with the Sonic cast. I suppose they chose the characters that they deemed "relevant" to the modern series, but I'd love to see Classic Sonic, Chaos Zero, Tikal, Espio, Charmy, etc. Here's hoping for a DLC plan.

That said, I can't wait to play this. I've been looking for an arcadey game to play since I 100%ed Days Gone and needed a little less of... that for a while. Absolutely picking it up digitally at midnight.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019

This. I really don't get why they decided to cut off these characters. It would make so much sense to have Sonic Heroes teams back in here, and people would complain much less about the absence of (sonic) characters.

Like others I am still not sure if I should pick it for Switch or base PS4. I only play Switch docked, but still I tend to buy most of my multiplats for it (also, have no reason to subscribe for ps+ these days).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Played a few rounds on Xbox One X.
  • Driving feels great, drifting very satisfying
  • I would say it runs close to native 4K, looks very crisp and vibrant
  • Solid 60fps so far
  • Music is absolutely amazing
  • There are actual ranked online modes, that's great to see
  • Not enough control setup options
  • Tracks so far feel good to drive on

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Played a few rounds on Xbox One X.
  • Driving feels great, drifting very satisfying
  • I would say it runs close to native 4K, looks very crisp and vibrant
  • Solid 60fps so far
  • Music is absolutely amazing
  • There are actual ranked online modes, that's great to see
  • Not enough control setup options
  • Tracks so far feel good to drive on
How much GB does it take?

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Nice OP. My Pro copy is on the way. I love arcade racers and colorful visuals. Even though Days Gone and Dreams both use all of my gaming time, I should be able to squeeze a bunch of races here and there. :)

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Probably a hyper specific question, but can you play the main campaign in online coop?

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Kind of hoping there's a bit of a post-release schedule, but I've no idea. Adding the Babylon Rouges, Classic Sonic Teams. They added a lot of characters to the PC version of Transformed, I'm sure it's a lot easier to deal with nowdays across platforms. Can't see them really adding more tracks, they've basically run out of Sonic-based tracks from previous games to pilpher from, outside of the Colors Track.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hoping there's a bit of a post-release schedule, but I've no idea. Adding the Babylon Rouges, Classic Sonic Teams. They added a lot of characters to the PC version of Transformed, I'm sure it's a lot easier to deal with nowdays across platforms. Can't see them really adding more tracks, they've basically run out of Sonic-based tracks from previous games to pilpher from, outside of the Colors Track.

It's unlikely, but there's still Ocean Ruin, Sanctuary Falls, Galactic Parade, and Egg Hangar that they could bring back as DLC.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will grab this at some point soon hopefully, was hyped to see Vector made it in.

Oct 25, 2017
So annoyed that this isn't available on the PSN store yet. I'll barely get to play by the time I get it downloaded tonight :/

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to play tomorrow!! I enjoyed the Sonic & SEGA racing games, but I much prefer a more cohesive package like this that focuses solely on the Sonic franchise, so I'm very hyped! I absolutely love how they're using Wisps for the items, too (the items were so terribly generic in the Sonic & SEGA games...).

Silver doesn't really make much sense as a Power type character, though. Really there's no good option for a Power type character to go with Blaze and Silver, so I understand them using Vector to fill that spot here. I'd like to see some of the missing characters too but I think the roster is just about the best it could be working under the restrictions of having 5 teams with 3 characters each of a different type.

Also, I wonder if it's not a coincidence that the three biggest characters that were left out (Cream, Charmy, and Espio) all happen to not have their own theme songs like every other character that was included in the game, since every character uses a song they're associated with for their Team Ultimate. Team Chaotix only has their one titular song from Heroes that all three share, which was given to Vector in this game, and Cream has...nothing, really. So if any of those were to be in the game, I have no idea what they'd do for their Team Ultimates...

Last edited:

Brake

Feb 6, 2018
Oh god, this game screams for DLC, just 15 characters (considering that some of them are also things like Zavok and various Chao in a kart)? I would love a Classic DLC with a 'Team Mania' featuring Classic Sonic, Mighty and Ray, and tracks inspired by the game like Studiopolis.