• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Online is not going to improve, right? Some people were theorizing that maybe there was something wrong with it since the game is dead on all platforms (despite apparently not selling that terribly). But this is it, isn't it? It's honestly baffling that apparently it did well on Switch and yet there's no one playing it. I really like this game but it's been mostly an offline experience for me.

Silverstoned

Dec 28, 2017
North California
I know this is a silly question but I'm going to ask....

Is the catchup/rubberbanding as bad as the previous games?

Can we turn it off by any chance?

Why did I even ask those questions?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
This game got me to rebuy Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing on PS3, and wow, I kinda forgot how different the returning tracks are from their original debuts....it also reminds me that I need to find someone to play online to get the last few trophies.

It also reminded me I really should replay through Transformed one of these days as well. Considering how well this seems to be selling, I wonder if they'll do something like Team Sonic Racing Transformed.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
NPD results are terrible. The game debuted at 19th and isn't in the top 10 of any consoles. Not even Switch. Sigh. Sega really fucked up the release and it shows.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Game is dead and Crash is making sure it stays down. The game is fine, but some decisions really out some people off.

Unfortunately. I'm more worried about Sega deciding this means the next mainline game should have an even lower budget. Their strategy of lower budget game is not working and killing the franchise since Lost World.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Unfortunately. I'm more worried about Sega deciding this means the next mainline game should have an even lower budget. Their strategy of lower budget game is not working and killing the franchise since Lost World.
Yeah the last time they tried putting more money in the franchise was Unleashed. Afterwards you can easily see the decline in budget compared to that game.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah the last time they tried putting more money in the franchise was Unleashed. Afterwards you can easily see the decline in budget compared to that game.

Even Forces feels lower budget compared to Lost World. It's ridiculous. Mario&Sonic looks like it's high budget and I hope that Sega takes that opportunity to advertise Sonic and have a decently big budget for the next game.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. And it's really baffling that a team based MP game as how TSR was conceived, it had 0 post-launch support. With a solid content schedule this game could be amazing.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yeah. And it's really baffling that a team based MP game as how TSR was conceived, it had 0 post-launch support. With a solid content schedule this game could be amazing.
It's a real shame. It's a great racing game even if you're not into Sonic at all (once you learn to stomach the characters at least, I think I don't detest Tails!).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is a silly question but I'm going to ask....

Is the catchup/rubberbanding as bad as the previous games?

Can we turn it off by any chance?

Why did I even ask those questions?

Kind of.
Each team has a group ultimate meter that fills up over time, which basically gives them the equivalent of the star from Mario Kart, so you can win and lose races solely due to that. In general it doesn't feel as bad as Transformed however.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for Crash, but still cant shake off feeling like this would be more fun for 4 player split screen thanks to the team mechanics. It's really a bargain bin price and Sega's support to add content/fix bugs that turns me off at this point

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Its a pity post launch support has been so dry. I got back to this game today and aside from some pretty big FPS drops on the destroy Eggman Badniks" missions its fantastic. Super addictive, great course design and just the right amount of challenge (on medium difficulty). It definitely deserved better.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What is bad is that they haven't really fixed the Multiplayer with letting you enter rooms in-progress. It's such a no brainer that I just don't get it...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
One whole month. Beenox had a completely broken online and fixed it in a day.

I can't shake the feeling that SEGA was confident on the drought of kart racers continuing and the CTR announcement took them by surprise. Hopefully the new players from the sales stick :/

The whole release was a disaster. The CTR announcement for sure took them by surprise and they didn't adjust for it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The whole release was a disaster. The CTR announcement for sure took them by surprise and they didn't adjust for it.
I think they can still save it, though. Before anything, they should iron all the online issues. Right now the game has a ton of gamemodes, it has a rank system already implemented, they "just" need to get the netcode and lobbies right. They could also do something like this:

- If they have anything planned at all they have to announce it ASAP. One of CTR's main draws is the seasons they have already announced.

- One of the biggest complaints of TSR was the lack of SEGA characters. I think they could release one or two "bonus teams" for free with like, idk Beat, Ulala and Kiryu

- Maybe drop down the price to $30. That worked wonders for Gran Turismo Sport after its rough start

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I think they can still save it, though. Before anything, they should iron all the online issues. Right now the game has a ton of gamemodes, it has a rank system already implemented, they "just" need to get the netcode and lobbies right. They could also do something like this:

- If they have anything planned at all they have to announce it ASAP. One of CTR's main draws is the seasons they have already announced.

- One of the biggest complaints of TSR was the lack of SEGA characters. I think they could release one or two "bonus teams" for free with like, idk Beat, Ulala and Kiryu

- Maybe drop down the price to $30. That worked wonders for Gran Turismo Sport after its rough start

Dropping the price won't be enough if people don't know the game exists. Word of mouth is good but marketing would go a long way. If they want to bring attention to the game and want to add SEGA characters, it should be from series that are relevant at the moment like Persona 5 or Yakuza so more people come in. Other characters can come later once a playerbase is established. I doubt they're gonna do any of that and I don't think they have anything planned for the game either :( .

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would love to see something like this but I think Sega is done with TSR. A shame really.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Dropping the price won't be enough if people don't know the game exists. Word of mouth is good but marketing would go a long way. If they want to bring attention to the game and want to add SEGA characters, it should be from series that are relevant at the moment like Persona 5 or Yakuza so more people come in. Other characters can come later once a playerbase is established. I doubt they're gonna do any of that and I don't think they have anything planned for the game either :( .
Well, yeah that's a given as well :P. I don't want to hope for content and it'd be better to accept that the game is likely going to have another patch to fix some issues and that's it, but maaaaaybe if they see what CTR is doing...

I would love to see something like this but I think Sega is done with TSR. A shame really.
I hope they have a sequel in the works at least. There was around 2 years between the original SASRT and Transformed, and if TSR was originally a 2018 game maaaaaybe they could have something releasing on holidays 2020 for basically every console.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they have a sequel in the works at least. There was around 2 years between the original SASRT and Transformed, and if TSR was originally a 2018 game maaaaaybe they could have something releasing on holidays 2020 for basically every console.

If that's the case, I hope it will be a sequel of Transformed. Or maybe a combination between TSR and S&SASRT :O

Anyway, for now I'll chase those missing keys on TSR and I'm gonna wait for next Sonic game reveal. Probably they show the next 3D Sonic before end of the year?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Well, yeah that's a given as well :P. I don't want to hope for content and it'd be better to accept that the game is likely going to have another patch to fix some issues and that's it, but maaaaaybe if they see what CTR is doing...

Yeah... maybe.... Sigh, I wish SEGA was better at managing their stuff. So many of their IPs could do better and Sonic could be as big as Mario or even bigger because he's on all platforms.

Concerning a sequel, they probably need a spin-off so it could work. We also have to consider that 2020 might finally be the MK9 year haha.

If that's the case, I hope it will be a sequel of Transformed. Or maybe a combination between TSR and S&SASRT :O

Anyway, for now I'll chase those missing keys on TSR and I'm gonna wait for next Sonic game reveal. Probably they show the next 3D Sonic before end of the year?

Sounds to me like they're targeting 2021. I'm a bit annoyed because Forces really wasn't worth the wait. On the other hand, I hope they actually use their extra time this time around. Also, I was skeptical about SA1 remake being the next game because I expected it to target 2020 but 2021 makes me think it might be what they're actually going for.

They'll probably have some kind of spin-off for 2020 or maybe Mania 2 which would be very welcome.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

They've kinda confirmed they'll be releasing it on 2021 (link here) so I wouldn't expect to see it this year. Chances are it'll be at SXSW 2020 if they keep the tradition going. The comment about it being a "Generations-like" title really worries me though, I'm tired of going through past zones. The next one needs to have fully original locations.

This does leave 2020 kinda barren though. Wonder if the rumored Adventure remake will launch in 2020 and then we'll get a new game in 2021.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
They've kinda confirmed they'll be releasing it on 2021 (link here) so I wouldn't expect to see it this year. Chances are it'll be at SXSW 2020 if they keep the tradition going. The comment about it being a "Generations-like" title really worries me though, I'm tired of going through past zones. The next one needs to have fully original locations.
This does leave 2020 kinda barren though. Wonder if the rumored Adventure remake will launch in 2020 and then we'll get a new game in 2021.

Fuck getting Gens 2. SA2 wasn't a retread on classic games and it was an anniversary title. I personally hope they announce it at more high profile events so it can get more coverage. Stuff like a Nintendo Direct or an E3 conference. I still don't understand why they announced M&S themselves instead of via a Direct.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Fuck getting Gens 2. SA2 wasn't a retread on classic games and it was an anniversary title. I personally hope they announce it at more high profile events so it can get more coverage. Stuff like a Nintendo Direct or an E3 conference. I still don't understand why they announced M&S themselves instead of via a Direct.
A Nintendo Direct would be perfect actually. Sonic games aren't really in a place to have big E3 announcements, and they can kinda get drown between all the heavy hitters. A Nintendo Direct would show the game to Switch players which are the focus now and unless they announce something like Mother 3 it'd probably be one of the biggest news of that day.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A Nintendo Direct would be perfect actually. Sonic games aren't really in a place to have big E3 announcements, and they can kinda get drown between all the heavy hitters. A Nintendo Direct would show the game to Switch players which are the focus now and unless they announce something like Mother 3 it'd probably be one of the biggest news of that day.
Sods law dictates that if Sega did go with announcing a great new Sonic game that way, Nintendo actually would finally announce Mother 3! But yeah, I do agree that a Direct would be a great way to go.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018

You're absolutely right that most Sonic announcements would get overshadowed at E3 unless it was a huge effort like SA3 or an SA1 remake. i was just thinking that an announcement at Microsoft's E3 would be possible because they seem to be buddy buddy with SEGA.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... maybe.... Sigh, I wish SEGA was better at managing their stuff. So many of their IPs could do better and Sonic could be as big as Mario or even bigger because he's on all platforms.

Concerning a sequel, they probably need a spin-off so it could work. We also have to consider that 2020 might finally be the MK9 year haha.

Sounds to me like they're targeting 2021. I'm a bit annoyed because Forces really wasn't worth the wait. On the other hand, I hope they actually use their extra time this time around. Also, I was skeptical about SA1 remake being the next game because I expected it to target 2020 but 2021 makes me think it might be what they're actually going for.

They'll probably have some kind of spin-off for 2020 or maybe Mania 2 which would be very welcome.

2020 Adventure 1 remake and 2021 next main title sounds about right.

In the other hand, It's getting annoying Iizuka's obsession with anniversaries. Just make a regular schedule of game development ffs!!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I tried a non-Tails character for the first time and I really miss being able to go outside of the track without slowing down, lol.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I tried a non-Tails character for the first time and I really miss being able to go outside of the track without slowing down, lol.
I'm the opposite. Never used a technique character during the adventure mode, so when I'm using Eggman I forget he can go off-track :P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Damn team mate AI being shit in elimination races. Your letting me down Knuckles (meh, what else is new). Otherwise, progress going well. Almost done with chapter 5 now, cleared almost all the courses with 3 stars, I see myself having to go back and grab a few keys later though, while most are easy to get, I've missed a couple here and there.
All round, loving the game. Annoyed that its flying under the radar as its a game that even I didn't expect to enjoy until I actually played it.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Been playing a bit this morning - just got to chapter 5 in adventure mode.

Enjoying the game more and more as I learn the mechanics.

Am I the only one that absolutely hates the Goal post and collect ring missions? Fuck those... I either suck or just can't figure them out. I can get 1st place easily in the races but those other ones even getting the bronze medal seems impossible.

I hope they go back to Sega characters and tracks for the next one and can lose the team gimmick - that should be a one and done with this game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a bit this morning - just got to chapter 5 in adventure mode.

Enjoying the game more and more as I learn the mechanics.

Am I the only one that absolutely hates the Goal post and collect ring missions? Fuck those... I either suck or just can't figure them out. I can get 1st place easily in the races but those other ones even getting the bronze medal seems impossible.

I hope they go back to Sega characters and tracks for the next one and can lose the team gimmick - that should be a one and done with this game.

The goal post stuff - make sure your drifting on the red side, and also make sure your getting your whole car inside the red area for maximum points - as the amount of points you get (from 0-50) depend on how much of your car is inside that red area when you pass through. You get a base 20 points for drifting through the goal post and if you drift on the red side, you also get a multiplier boost (maximum 1.5x)
The rest is just replaying over and over. Spec your car out (I use Sonic) for max speed and accel for best results, but it'll still take several tries to nail those plats.

Now the rings - drifting through rings gives you more time, and using a character like Tails, Rogue etc. draws rings slightly closer to you so again spec their cars out and use them. The rest, unfortunately is just trial and error, figuring out the best paths through the rings. Always make sure your hitting the long strings of rings in a drift as these are essential for getting lots of time back and will be a large source of your ring target. Other than that, if you miss too many rings just restart. Out of all the challenges, these two are definitely the ones that take me the most time to complete, as its all down to memorisation essentially.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I have a friend coming over to play co op games and I want to buy this for the sale.

I have a PS4 regular and a Switch. Is the 30 FPS that noticable on Switch vs a regular PS4? It seems like a game that would be fun to bring to a friend's house but if a non-pro PS4 runs it that much better than maybe it's worth sacrificing portability.

Which one do I get?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After putting a fair amount of time into Crash, I feel like I was too hard on this game.
Most of my gripes still stand but in turn I appreciate what it does right a lot more.

This isn't so much a dig at Crash by the way, just that something else to compare and contrast to helped highlight the stronger sides of TSR.
Shame they reused so many tracks really, if only it also had an upcoming free DLC spread.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
I have a friend coming over to play co op games and I want to buy this for the sale.

I have a PS4 regular and a Switch. Is the 30 FPS that noticable on Switch vs a regular PS4? It seems like a game that would be fun to bring to a friend's house but if a non-pro PS4 runs it that much better than maybe it's worth sacrificing portability.

Which one do I get?

I'm playing the Switch version and find it fine. I haven't played the ps4 though to compare.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
After putting a fair amount of time into Crash, I feel like I was too hard on this game.
Most of my gripes still stand but in turn I appreciate what it does right a lot more.

This isn't so much a dig at Crash by the way, just that something else to compare and contrast to helped highlight the stronger sides of TSR.
Shame they reused so many tracks really, if only it also had an upcoming free DLC spread.

This game would be great if it was not hamstrung by a non existent budget. I like Sonic characters a lot more than Crash characters, and I also think Sonic has a deeper pool to draw track ideas from than Crash. It just sucks that Sega treated this game like an after thought. We still haven't gotten a patch on PC or Switch that gives us parity with the PS4 version and the game has been out for almost two months! In contrast look how fast Crash was patched on day 1!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Feels so good to play again!

Yeah, have to be honest, I had much more fun instantly with TSR than CTR at the moment. Crash feels like homework that's fulfilling once you get it right, but it's not quite the bliss that this game is.

Honestly if this game had the budget that Crash had, it could have easily been a contender, as more people would gel to it a lot easier and would have had the visuals and content to keep them around. Such a shame.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sky Zone target attack did my head in yesterday night. Keeping your combo going in certain parts is basically all down to shooting blindly and hoping... that said, even without that I still just managed it, took a heck of a lot of tries to get it though! My 3 star dream lives on!