• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a comparison of the Metacritic averages of the other Sumo racing games (excluding the scores for mobile/handheld versions of varying quality and ASR's lackluster PC version)

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - 76.66
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 80.25
Team Sonic Racing - Currently at 73

Transformed reviews were way too low.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm trying to find the best console version of Transformed in preparation for this game. Just booted the PS3 demo and my goodness, that frame rate...

What's the best console version of Transformed?

Also I'm still on the fence about this game. I'm hoping there's enough content there.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

360 I guess, but all of them are 30 fps. Transformed is so much better on PC. It's also the platform with more content (basically Ryo Hazuki and a bunch of nobodies, but still, Ryo).

A ton of people loved them too, myself included. You can't please everyone.

Yeah I don't get how people can hate the boat, it was so much fun and physics worked well!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find the best console version of Transformed in preparation for this game. Just booted the PS3 demo and my goodness, that frame rate...

Also I'm still on the fence about this game. I'm hoping there's enough content there.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sonic-all-star-racing-transformed-face-off

PC is the best version of the game. On consoles it's smoother on 360 (30fps) and it has better IQ on Wii U.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Plane sections were AWESOME in Transformed and whoever disagrees is wrong. The After Burner track, and that RPG-ish track which colapses on the last lap are just fantastic.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
360 I guess, but all of them are 30 fps. Transformed is so much better on PC. It's also the platform with more content (basically Ryo Hazuki and a bunch of nobodies, but still, Ryo).

Yeah I don't get how people can hate the boat, it was so much fun and physics worked well!
Yeah, and if there was ever a sequel, then Sumo could always improve upon the boat mode to make it more accessible and the plane mode by having more to interact with.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The boat was the worst part of Transformed IMO, still fun though.

The plane was the best though. That feeling when you chain together a bunch of risk boosts?

giphy.gif

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Plane sections were AWESOME in Transformed and whoever disagrees is wrong. The After Burner track, and that RPG-ish track which colapses on the last lap are just fantastic.
They were awesome but also very inaccesable for casual players. Threw off a lot of people i recommended the game to

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I absolutely loooove the After Burner track. An instant favourite, the moment I played it. The other one you're referring to is probably Rogue's Landing from Skies of Arcadia. It took me some time to master that one.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

XB1 with 360 BC.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The boat was the worst part of Transformed IMO, still fun though.

The plane was the best though. That feeling when you chain together a bunch of risk boosts?

giphy.gif
Dragon Canyon seemed pretty much designed with the express purpose of giving you that feeling as often as possible. What a fantastic track.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were awesome but also very inaccesable for casual players. Threw off a lot of people i recommended the game to
Yeah that game definitely had a difficulty curve especially some of the later levels you unlock. That burning rangers, nights, the first monkey ball level and the evening jet set radio stage, billy hatcher stage could be a fucking disaster nightmare for casuals

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I absolutely loooove the After Burner track. An instant favourite, the moment I played it. The other one you're referring to is probably Rogue's Landing from Skies of Arcadia. It took me some time to master that one.
The music in the After Burner level is perfect for the track, too. I want to play some Transformed now :x

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Transformed but I'm just not sure about this one, especially since MK8 has raised the bar and CTR is dropping in a month's time.

Will have to watch some more raw gameplay. Shame there's no demo.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate the boat sections but they were easily my least favorite part of the Transformed, especially when the collision got wonky. I liked the plane sections in some tracks like Carrier Zone and Dream Valley but they were the bane of my existence in Graffiti City and Adder's Lair. On the whole I'm glad they went back to straight kart racing.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really care for Boat/Plane sections either, but it and transforming stages are concepts worth revisiting. Maybe I just didn't care for much of the track designs.

I remember really liking Carrier Zone and that was just a straight Nascar loop.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Burning Rangers track was my favorite in that game honestly. All the turns, the music, the water level rising, so good. Was fun as hell to do time trials with as well.

Wait, TSR better have time trials!!

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Car and boat would have been cool if they kept those at least, but whatever.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I'm seeing this on Amazon for $32, might as well give it a shot. I've enjoyed the previous All Star Racing games and this looks like more of the same.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So if I love Transformed for mechanics and music is this a good continuation? I don't care about Sega or Sonic nostalgia.

The reviews in the OP all seem decent at a glance.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of content seems like a genuine shame given that by all accounts the game seems great even in spite of its lack of Sega memorabilia. I never minded them dropping that since Sonic has enough gas in the tank to carry a racer all with his own world and gimmicks.

Good thing the game is a budget release. Seems way more agreeable to jump in.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Burning Rangers track was my favorite in that game honestly. All the turns, the music, the water level rising, so good. Was fun as hell to do time trials with as well.

Wait, TSR better have time trials!!
It definitely has them, one gameplay showed them a few weeks ago. I think the confirmed gamemodes are:

- Team Racing
- Regular Racing
- Time Trials
- Elimination (last place gets eliminated every lap)
- Rocket mode (every Wisp is a rocket)
- Egg Pawn Rampage (You have to take out as many Egg Pawns as you can)
- King of the Hill (first place's team gets points for every second they're on the lead, it's up to the other teams to take them down)
- Daredevil (There's checkpoint poles around the track and the closer you drive to them, the more points you get
- Ring Trials (Get rings to add time to a countdown)
- The SASRT mode where you dodge traffic

I want to say drift trials are in too, but I don't remember. Some of these might be exclusive to the story mode.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It actually really looks good. Wish it wasnt team based though, and that still has me hesitant. Everything else is just what i want in a kart racer.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It actually really looks good. Wish it wasnt team based though, and that still has me hesitant. Everything else is just what i want in a kart racer.
You can race alone too, but I'd say give the team mechanics a try. The gamexplain review said they initially didn't want to play as teams but that the mechanics were a lot more fun that what they expected.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I love Transformed for mechanics and music is this a good continuation? I don't care about Sega or Sonic nostalgia.

The reviews in the OP all seem decent at a glance.
I'd say yes. (If you don't mind this being only kart racing. No plane, no boats)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely has them, one gameplay showed them a few weeks ago. I think the confirmed gamemodes are:

- Team Racing
- Regular Racing
- Time Trials
- Elimination (last place gets eliminated every lap)
- Rocket mode (every Wisp is a rocket)
- Egg Pawn Rampage (You have to take out as many Egg Pawns as you can)
- King of the Hill (first place's team gets points for every second they're on the lead, it's up to the other teams to take them down)
- Daredevil (There's checkpoint poles around the track and the closer you drive to them, the more points you get
- Ring Trials (Get rings to add time to a countdown)
- The SASRT mode where you dodge traffic

I want to say drift trials are in too, but I don't remember. Some of these might be exclusive to the story mode.

Oh wow, this was probably from the other Sonic livestream right? I didn't finish watching the VOD...thanks.

Traffic Attack being back....oh god.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The team mechanics are actually a lot more enjoyable than I thought. There's some neat ways you can leverage it during a race to maintain your momentum, even if you screw up or get hit during a race.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Transformed is one of the greatest of all time. With they carried that over but this doesn't look like the trainwreck we thought it would be.

I'll pick this up Black Friday or something.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Still a bit of a shame this isn't another All-Stars joint, but the core game is in tact and as solid as ever, so I'll pick it up.