• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
MetaCritic - 73

PushSquare 7/10
"We don't want to drag Team Sonic Racing down for ultimately quite trivial points. At the end of the day, Sumo Digital has served up a solid kart racer that succeeds in bringing something new to the table. It won't be to everyone's tastes, but the cooperative racing adds a nice layer of rapid fire strategy. It's implemented well, to the point where standard races feel distinctly secondary. It might be lacking the wow factor SEGA's other IPs brought to Sumo's other racers, and it's a shame performance is a little rocky, but this is a good option for PS4 players who want some arcadey thrills."
https://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/team_sonic_racing

IGN 8.5/10
"Team Sonic Racing nails what matters most: speed and finesse on the racetrack. The new team system is a fantastic evolution of the arcade racing formula that gives you a real reason to work together, and there's a litany of customization options to keep you coming back to these excellent tracks to earn more. Even though the small roster and annoying Adventure mode story could be better, Team Sonic Racing is an addictive and inventive evolution that proves Sumo Digital is at the top of its game."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/17/team-sonic-racing-review

Gamespot 7/10:
"The essence of Team Sonic Racing is good; its handling feels tight and smooth, drifting has a good flow to it, and the items are fun to use, as are the tracks to race on. It doesn't bring much new to the genre, but it delivers where it counts. The racing is fast and fun, and the team aspects offer enough of a change to the formula to make Team Sonic Racing the endearing arcade racer it is."
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/team-sonic-racing-review-something-borrowed-and-bl/1900-6417143/

Dualshockers 8/10
"Team Sonic Racing is one of Sonic's best spin-off games to date. Even with the handful of problems I had with the game, I found I was easily able to overlook them because of the pure fun I was having. Team Sonic Racing is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for your next kart racing craze."
https://www.dualshockers.com/team-sonic-racing-review/

Destructoid 7/10:
"Plenty of folks will enjoy the Sonic focus and many of the tracks would have been fantastic as Transformed DLC. I just wish it wasn't as limited in scope out of the gate."
https://www.destructoid.com/review-team-sonic-racing-552870.phtml

Trusted Reviews 6/10
"Team Sonic Racing is fun yet ultimately underwhelming kart racer. It's innovative team-based mechanics can make the solo campaign a joy, but aren't fleshed out enough to prevent things becoming repetitive. Combine that with finicky handling alongside performance issues and you've a package that fails to live up to what came before it. Although, given its budget launch price, hardcore Sonic fans could find something to love here. "
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/team-sonic-racing-2

Shacknews 9/10
"Team Sonic Racing is a strong return to form for Sumo Digital's kart racing spin-off series. Built on a solid foundation of gameplay, the risks taken with the implementation of the team dynamic pay off big time and sets Team Sonic Racing apart from other available titles in its class. Although it could use some beefing up in terms of side content, Team Sonic Racing is a versatile experience that fans of the franchise will adore."
https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...y-drift?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Attack of the Fanboy 7/10:
"While Team Sonic Racing maintains the core kart racing gameplay you know and love intertwined with fun new team-based mechanics, a laundry list of the best race types are left entirely out of local play with friends, instead being only available in Team Adventure and online modes, which partially ruins what is still a good game off the track before the finish line."
https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/team-sonic-racing-review/

Gameblog.fr 7/10
"Team Sonic Racing gives players a whole new take on the "Kart Racer" genre thanks to its team gameplay mechanic. It works and it allows less skilled players to enjoy competing against other human players. It's just too bad that SUMO got rid of the transformations and the SEGA All-Stars."
http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/3401-team-sonic-racing-ps4

Eurogamer: Recommended
Here's hyperbole for you. Just as Sonic Mania saw a group of talented fans going wild with Sega's icon to create something as good as, if not better than the very best 2D Sonic games, then the enthusiasts at Sumo Digital have worked similar magic here. Not that it's saying particularly much, but this might well be the best 3D Sonic in a generation or two.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...view-smart-spin-on-the-character-kart-formula

USGamer 7/10 (3.5/5)
Sumo Digital is back to hit you with that fantastic Sonic Racing action. Team Sonic Racing has a new focus on team-based mechanics, but it ultimately feels like a step back from the excellent Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. The tracks are great, there's a whole of new customization options, and Team Adventure's challenge courses do well to differentiate the game from its peers, but it's a rebuilding year.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/team-sonic-racing-review

VG247: Recommended
So, there we have it – an extraordinarily competent racer, which makes sense. The follow-up to a game as good as All-Stars Racing Transformed was almost certainly going to be good – though it does feel as if something of the x-factor that made that game truly special isn't quite present here. Kart racing fans or families are sure to have an absolute blast with this, however – and it's an easy recommendation as a result.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/17/te...-competent-karting-lacking-magic-predecessor/

GamesRadar 5/10 (2.5/5)
Sonic is in a rough space with it's latest game, movie, and spin-off all failing to meet the low expectations given them. Team Sonic Racing could be a fun experience if it's core mechanics were tweaked to be tighter, fluid, and far more arcadey. There are bits of polish than shine through every now and then, but the entire game feels like it was rushed through development.
https://www.gamesradar.com/team-sonic-racing-review/

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed had around an 80 between all platforms, for comparison. People liked the team mechanics more than I thought, too.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sweet. Think I'm gonna pick this up with some buds. We loved Transformed.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Basically what I expected - solid gameplay, not much content. I still imagine I'll have a more enjoyable time with it than I did with MK8 Deluxe, though. Some side content is better than basically none.

Eurogamer's a Recommended too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the game is as good as ever gameplay wise but lacks on side content and characters.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
rocky performance? meaning what, framerate issues? tearing? only on base or also on pro?
edit: nevermind, i watched the gamespot 8 minute gameplay video from the ps4pro version. yeah, no thanks. the stutter in the corners is just too much.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More or less what I expected. With CTR soon I'm not gonna invest a relatively high price in both, so I think I'm waiting for a sale on this one.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Guess I'll be picking this up at some point. I loved Transformed primarily for its gameplay and soundtrack so it sounds like I'll probably enjoy this game as well.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Reviews are about what I expected. Still psyched to play this day 1.

Thanks for making the thread OP, I'd forgotten the reviews were going out today.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm was hoping for a bit better given the polish that the delay had added but I'm sure I'll pick this up down the line.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Accounting for bias against Sonic and salt over Sega's extras not being included, this looks like a really easy day one purchase.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
It's a 7/10 for me as well. The team system is cool, graphics and art design of tracks are good (just some framerate problems here and there but nothing serious), gameplay is fun and the music is delicious but I really miss the Transformed formula, plus the crossover aspect.

Also, tracks are good looking but a little too simple so the racing itself isn't really challenging. Less than 20 characters and only 8 themes for the circuits (for exemple, there is 3 tracks based on Seaside Hill) is a little bummer.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good scores. Seems to be well worth the £21 I managed to snag the Switch version for.

Sep 28, 2018
Game is going to suffer in review scores based on not having SEGA characters and nothing to do with in-game mechanics - a real shame.

If you liked Transformed, this one plays basically exactly the same without the boating/flying.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Seems gauche to not include direct links to the articles being quoted.

What's the best one to read for a PS4 switch comparison?

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm picking it up day one, mainly because I want a arcade racing game to play, but I have to say - a lot of these scores are surprising (but it seems like it's been massively improved since it's E3, which was....not good)

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Impressive scores for a game like this. CTR has it beat on content girth though, so I'm going with this

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Game is going to suffer in review scores based on not having SEGA characters and nothing to do with in-game mechanics.
Pretty much. I feel like on one hand that's Sega's fault for once again not understanding what half of the allure of these racing games are, but on the other I'm not sure if people are lowkey reducing a number score based on that which this game seems moreso a sequel to the first All Stars Racing then Transformed.

I am curious if there's a reviewer that preferred ASR to Transformed and their take on this game.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
7/10 is about what I expected for this, and that's fine by me. I'm a bit stuck between platforms though. On the one hand, PS4 Pro has 60fps but it's only 1080p. On the other, Switch allows for portability but it's only 30fps and we don't know the unlocked resolution yet.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
God damn it. If anyone else had written the Eurogamer review I'd be dubious. But Martin Robinson has taste, and I didn't want to like this over Transformed. Ugh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Super stoked for this game. It's been a long five years since Mario Kart 8 and I didn't realize how much I miss racing games.

Loved Transformed to bits but I'm totally okay with the game dropping the bizarre water and air sequences.

R09DohEl.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Delaying the game 6 months for a 71% isn't great, but I guess that's more than good enough for Sonic.

Imagine it sounds pretty good for those that just want more sonic racing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fully expected. Game looked OK but rather rough since day one. There was definitely some improvement after the delay, but still far from a deluxe-quality experience.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Content was always going to be the biggest hurdle for this game, 15 Characters, 12 new tracks and 9 returning ones seem small, especially with Crash coming in with at least 25 characters with much more customisation options, 31 tracks (primarily old) and 12 battle arenas at minimum a month later.

Still it sounds like they nailed the gameplay so that's great for me.

Also Racing Transformed only scored 80? Wow, game deserves much higher scores than that, but I recall the Wii U version was especially buggy at launch.

Sep 28, 2018
Delaying the game 6 months for a 71% isn't great, but I guess that's more than good enough for Sonic.

Imagine it sounds pretty good for those that just want more sonic racing.

Mechanically, it's more of the same of Transformed - which to me is the best very best Kart racer experience in terms of gameplay.

The problem is that it's a Sonic game. Had it been SEGA All-Stars it would've scored higher... Had it been called Team Mario Racing and featured the Mario cast but been otherwise identical it would score higher still, I'm quite positive.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of 7/10s as expected. Pretty good considering the All-Stars Racing games hover around the high 70s / low 80s mark on Metacritic.

Did Sumo ever explained why they went with Sonic only instead of All Stars?

It wasn't their decision, Iizuka (head of Sonic Team) wanted to do a Sonic racing game and they chose to have Sumo develop it.