• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA recently had a showing of Team Sonic Racing at TGS, where they finally showed off some gameplay of the Market Street (aka Rooftop Run) track as well as more of Wisp Circuit. Unfortunately the person playing is godawful at the game, but you can at least get a good look at the course.

Dr. Eggman can be seen in the footage, and at an EGX panel earlier today, Metal Sonic was apparently shown to the audience.

This leaves one more character to be revealed. Could possibly be Egg Pawn, but seems unlikely that the final character reveal would be a generic enemy we saw in the very first game footage.

Bonus: a slide from the aformentioned EGX panel showing more details on how the character types work.

lsgcQtA.jpg

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Does this game still not have a release date? I am ready to buy after Metal Sonic revealed lol

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to describe it. It looks so...sterile compared to the last one.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
What heck is going on on Silver car lol so much glowing it blinds me lmao

Also what speed the guy is playing? Seems pretty low.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Speed'
'- Well-balanced handling'
Makes sense...

Those trashtalking reminds me Mickey Speedway USA.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
How do you put Rooftop Run in your racing game and not have part of the track go around/up the clock tower?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the best track they've shown so far. I really hope they show a higher speed setting soon.

How do you put Rooftop Run in your racing game and not have part of the track go around/up the clock tower?
Each theme has multiple tracks. I imagine that another Rooftop Run track will have the clock tower.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll cross-post what I told my friend after playing at EGX and Watching the Presentation as well.

Game isn't that bad from what I played. Team Play seems important like your team all gotta place high as all your points are tallied up. And your team has slipstreams and if you follow your teammates path, you get a boost. You can also hand your teammates weapons, which are stronger when they get it. So it's like "Should you use the boost or give your teammate one to get them 3 boosts?"

Plus if your teammate drives past you after you get hit and slow down, you get your speed back.

Plus all the team skills build up a Skill Meter and then you can use a "Team Ultimate", which is a speed boost where you also invincible. But because the game is all about teams, if you use the Ultimate at the same time as your team, then it more powerful. They say it is meant to aid communication, such as if I wanted to use my Ultimate, but you wanted to use it the same time as me, but you were going round a corner, so you could tell me to wait until you pass the corner and we could then activate together lol

I hope it ain't a Rush-Job as it has some good ideas tucked away.

Hell, I'll throw in my worse part about the game.

Here are the points they hand out:

And here is after me, Sonic and Knuckles finished 3rd, 4th and 5th:

As you can see...if you place 1st and 2nd in a race (like Blaze and Silver) and a teammate finished last (like Vector)...you'll win anyway.

Now people might not mind this, but that is not fine for me as my team did well, dammit!

BONUS: This is what happens when I'm in 1st and Sonic is 12th on the last lap, so I just offer every item I get (all homing weirdly):

That is what teamwork is!

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to describe it. It looks so...sterile compared to the last one.

I feel like we've yet to see any footage that properly demonstrates good use of the various team mechanics that set this apart from your typical kart racer. Speaking of which, I'd also like to finally see some gameplay that's not on what I assume is the game's equivalent of 50cc.

Painfully underrated game, too.

Seconded, one of my favorite kart racers!

Has he actually been dismissed? He's perfect for the villain team.

Iizuka has stated that characters from Classic-era games like Mighty and Ray will not appear in Modern games, so his chances aren't good.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Small bump as last night they had one more Team Sonic Racing panel, after which Jun Senoue played a mini-concert featuring the music for the 3 currently revealed tracks: Wisp Circuit, Ice Mountain, and Market Street.

I thought it was a little weird that the theme for Wisp Circuit didn't seem to be a remix of any Planet Wisp tune, but it turns out there's a little snippet of Act 1's intro near the end of the song. Supposedly Ice Mountain's music is also a remix of Holoska from Unleashed, but I'm not hearing it. And of course, Market Street is just straight up Rooftop Run.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
The game looks good, but I still can't get over that they went backwards and got rid of all the Sega characters and themed tracks.

and of course Metal Sonic will be in it, he was in the previous games.

Transformed was such an amazing kart racer. I was hoping they would have expanded upon that.

Limiting it to only Sonic characters is lame. Half of the roster is embarrassing enough to look at while you're racing, let alone play.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm warming up to this game but I still hope some other Sonic Team reps can sneak in (Nights, Ristar, Carbuncle, etc).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game does seem to have potential, I just wished they showed the faster speeds for races already. Maybe they'll do so in one of their Sonic streams from the US office?

I'm guessing the last character will be Infinite or the new bad guy from the story.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
A lot of these mechanics seem quite unique.

I just don't have faith that the quality will be there.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do the rings look so terrible? How has development gone so far and the rings still look like that? Rooftop Run also looks like the most boring possible adaptation they could have tried to do. Perplexing. It's like they made a generic track and then tried to make a Rooftop Run skybox around it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still wanna see A Class/S Class speed levels. The Transformed Demos at least let you chose between C/B/A so selecting A gave you a good sense of speed. Being stuck in C just makes it feel slow.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A few observations and thoughts:
- Rooftop Run track looks alright
- show off some faster speeds you cowards
- the music playing during the score tally at the very end is definitely a Jun Senoue remix of Sonic Mania's Competition Results. That's exciting to me
- mostly unrelated but I'm curious about the implications of Rooftop Run being an iconic Modern Sonic stage in a post-"Sonic's World" world. Are they gonna keep acting like humans don't exist on "Sonic's World" despite pulling from real-world locations from the game with the best portrayal of humans in Sonic?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Its kinda impressive that despite Transformed having to get nascar to pay for half its budget that it still looks better than this game.

Why cant this series go all out with sega fanservice AND have a budget? All 3 games feel made on the down low in various aspects.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Good lord, can we please get gameplay footage from someone competent at kart racers!? It's one of the simplest genres around and yet no one decent at it has been recorded playing this game.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Why do the rings look so terrible? How has development gone so far and the rings still look like that? Rooftop Run also looks like the most boring possible adaptation they could have tried to do. Perplexing. It's like they made a generic track and then tried to make a Rooftop Run skybox around it.

Worth mentioning that this game takes the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing route of having multiple tracks based on the same theme. There are 21 total tracks across 7 Zones, so Market Street is just one of 3 courses based on Rooftop Run. A pre-rendered scene in one of the trailers shows that another course takes place on a floating glass road in the skies above Spagonia.

- the music playing during the score tally at the very end is definitely a Jun Senoue remix of Sonic Mania's Competition Results. That's exciting to me

Oh that's awesome, I thought it sounded a little like the Mania theme.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Worth mentioning that this game takes the Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing route of having multiple tracks based on the same theme. There are 21 total tracks across 7 Zones, so Market Street is just one of 3 courses based on Rooftop Run. A pre-rendered scene in one of the trailers shows that another course takes place on a floating glass road in the skies above Spagonia.

Oh that's awesome, I thought it sounded a little like the Mania theme.

That really sucks. There's no other franchise with as many eye-popping environments as Sonic and to only have 7 different locales is a complete waste.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game needs a high level gameplay video like this that was uploaded for Sega itself as marketing material

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks. There's no other franchise with as many eye-popping environments as Sonic and to only have 7 different locales is a complete waste.

It is what it is. This game obviously has a much lower budget than Transformed but they're making the most of it. That being said, if they waste a zone on Seaside Hill I will riot.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is what it is. This game obviously has a much lower budget than Transformed but they're making the most of it. That being said, if they waste a zone on Seaside Hill I will riot.
Same. If they pick a Heroes stage for the game it should really be something that's underused like Mystic Mansion/Hang Castle.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's so odd that this has a low budget, when Transformed was a massive hit, even on PC (million seller!).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah dang, they are going that older route of multiple tracks based on the same zone? Eh...well maybe we could get tracks with different tropes like Billy Hatcher in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing lol.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
The game looks good, but I still can't get over that they went backwards and got rid of all the Sega characters and themed tracks.

and of course Metal Sonic will be in it, he was in the previous games.

Transformed was such an amazing kart racer. I was hoping they would have expanded upon that.

Limiting it to only Sonic characters is lame. Half of the roster is embarrassing enough to look at while you're racing, let alone play.
How are the characters any worse than the other Sega ones? As far as mascots go the characters are pretty run of the mill, could be in any Pixar movie and no one would bat an eye(of course that would also include better writing and voice acting).

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I see that the game has videos uploaded in 1080p 60fps. Has any of the versions been confirmed to be 60 fps? Also, has anyone played the Switch version?

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Nack the Weasel and the Sonic Mania characters would be excellent additions.

The ultimate DLC packs:

Team Mania: Classic Sonic + Mighty + Ray
Team Hooligan: Fang/Nack + Bark + Bean
Team Rogues: Jet + Wave + Storm

they would be amazing and sell very well, which is how you know they won't do it

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Stop bringing back Rooftop Run please, that stage is so played out by now and Unleashed has plenty of beautiful environments to choose from.

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
Unleased has a lot more interesting stages than freaking Rooftop Run... Like Dragon Road for example.