• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh. It's big the cat. Hmm

Edit: This is looking way more Trailblazers than I expected it to.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strange... Very underwhelming trailer I must say.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Need to see more tracks looks alright just so far some parts of tracks maybe bit too barren and boring to look at needs more stuff to look at even outside of the track make it a spectacle to race through each track

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please stop putting Wisps in Sonic games? They were ok in Colors but outside of that they don't really make the gameplay all that more interesting or fun.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Can we please stop putting Wisps in Sonic games? They were ok in Colors but outside of that they don't really make the gameplay all that more interesting or fun.

Wisps are a good replacement for items. Good ass game as it was, the items in SASRT were generic as hell and the usage of wisps could have helped to give them a lot more flavor.

I'm reserving judgment for now, but I'm not really feeling this.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup

This game will go down as a misstep. No one asked for this.

Speak for yourself, I am looking forward to playing the game and have it pre-ordered.

Wisps are a good replacement for items. Good ass game as it was, the items in SASRT were generic as hell and the usage of wisps could have helped to give them a lot more flavor.

Agreed, for a game that was laden with Sega references the weapons simply didn't reflect that, nor did they feel useful.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it will sell okay....

Then how will it go down as a mistep.

Games i'm not fond of are not missteps, they are just... games i'm not fond of. I'm sure this has an audience and it will do quite well. Mistep implies that something went wrong, no. You might not be the audience for this, that's ok. And there might have been wanting sometype of sonic only racer, or at least something more simplified than transformed

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then how will it go down as a mistep.

Games i'm not fond of are not missteps, they are just... games i'm not fond of. I'm sure this has an audience and it will do quite well. Mistep implies that something went wrong, no. You might not be the audience for this, that's ok. And there might have been wanting sometype of sonic only racer, or at least something more simplified than transformed
It will go down as a misstep like lots of games do. Years from now when people say "how were those Sonic Kart racers?", people will respond with "first one was good, second one not so much".

The new ideas in this sequel do not look like fun additions to the formula. They look like unnecessary stuff that will get in the way of the fun.

Sales have nothing to do with a game being labeled a misstep.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It will go down as a misstep like lots of games do. Years from now when people say "how were those Sonic Kart racers?", people will respond with "first one was good, second one not so much".

The new ideas in this sequel do not look like fun additions to the formula. They look like unnecessary stuff that will get in the way of the fun.

Sales have nothing to do with a game being labeled a misstep.

This just sounds like you not being able to accept not everything is for you and can find success outside of yourself. But whatever man, i'm not one to write off something as a misstep before its released because maybe a bunch of other folks will enjoy it even if I don't. But I guess i'm just a different kinda dude

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Game still looks fine. I'm really not worried about the team mechanics, and they've already confirmed standard "free-for-all" racing, so I'm mostly looking forward to more interesting tracks.

But seriously, what is up with Knuckles' voice

I have a reasonable assumption for why it's not Travis Willingham but what is going on

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Game still looks fine. I'm really not worried about the team mechanics, and they've already confirmed standard "free-for-all" racing, so I'm mostly looking forward to more interesting tracks.

But seriously, what is up with Knuckles' voice

I have a reasonable assumption for why it's not Travis Willingham but what is going on

Maybe he was busy during the recording of this?

More speculative: I figure it might be about time for voice actors to change and maybe this is a weird transition period. Like next sonic game, a bunch of other characters might have different voices

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he was busy during the recording of this?

More speculative: I figure it might be about time for voice actors to change and maybe this is a weird transition period. Like next sonic game, a bunch of other characters might have different voices
My assumption had to do with his and Laura Bailey's newborn child

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I admit I've not been keeping up with this game but this trailer looks like you have to rely on ai partners for several important mechanics, which doesn't strike me as a good decision...

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looks good in my opinion - excited.

I kinda hope they offer this at a lower price though. $40 would be perfect for that kind of game.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I agree for the most part, but in the context of a Sonic themed racing game, they actually kinda make sense as items.

Looks good in my opinion - excited.

I kinda hope they offer this at a lower price though. $40 would be perfect for that kind of game.
That's probably going to be the price, tbh. Mania Plus physically is $30, and Forces launched at $40. If there's one thing Sega's been somewhat reasonable with in regards to the series as of late, it's the pricing.

Oct 27, 2017
Based off past releases, I'm betting those framerate drops are not going to be addressed very well. This does not look good.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Looks like a mess of ideas throwed at same time in order to make the game looks different.

I agree for the most part, but in the context of a Sonic themed racing game, they actually kinda make sense as items.

I disagree. Mostly because everytime you get a box the same guy from Colors say the name of wisps. Sounds more like rerere-using stuff...they could at least change that.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. Mostly because everytime you get a box the same guy from Colors say the name of wisps. Sounds more like rerere-using stuff.
The announcer in Colors was a fun thing that made the game feel arcade-y, and again makes even more sense in the context of a racing game.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Knuckles voice is just...what?

Rest looks decent to me. Still sad they took away the all stars though and just using Sonic characters.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Takkng a 'Wait and See' approach with this, given who the team behind this are.

I have no problem with Wisps as power ups, as far as Sonic Team's problems go they certainly aren't near the top.

They were the funner parts of Forces. And made Colours more replayable.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The announcer in Colors was a fun thing that made the game feel arcade-y, and again makes even more sense in the context of a racing game.

Agreed, it made using the Wisp fun. Sonic Colours was a really good game with the Wisp mechanic and it's disappointing to see that both Lost World and Forces struggling to understand what made the Wisp fun in the first place.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
While i trust Sumo gameplay wise, im still bummed that this is a "Sonic only" game.

Might buy it either way, but the lack of other sega IPs is a big strike on this game for me.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I'll buy it, but yeah, I'm also in the camp that thinks this is going to be a big drop off from Transformed.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand why visually it doesn't look like a step up from Transformed which was released on PS3 and 360.

I mean it's 2018. Anyway, all that matter is it is good fun I suppose.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played a mainline 3D Sonic game since Sonic Heroes so please forgive me but did they kill off Cream? I can't think of any other reason to replace her with random neutral chao.

Oct 27, 2017
Did...did Knuckles get a new voice actor?

Also, wow, does this team stuff look extra convoluted and something I don't want to do.

Honestly, the gameplay looks great, but everything else seems off. Tracks look really bland, the UI looking clunky, and again with the wisps? This whole thing feels like it was planned to be a mobile game, but SEGA probably decided for some reason to make it for consoles instead.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a mainline 3D Sonic game since Sonic Heroes so please forgive me but did they kill off Cream? I can't think of any other reason to replace her with random neutral chao.

Outside of the mobile games, she's been gone since Generations.
For some reason, ever since Generations, a lot of Sonic games and media sort of don't really acknowledge the Dreamcast era of Sonic games and their content. Been seeing a lot of Colors and Lost World stuff though, unfortunately.