• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
footage has started to come out today. I know it's early but I'm pretty disappointed, looks very bad in comparison to DAC and even underlords IMO

For what it's worth, the default visual settings for the recording session Riot put on was apparently the lowest graphics settings and most the people recording footage at the event didn't realize that and didn't change the settings. Kripp did adjust the settings so his video will give a bigger idea as to how the game will look on higher settings:

The game does look a bit rough even ignoring graphical fidelity, I guess their philosophy with the mode was that they would allow the community to get their hands on it as soon as possible and that they'd build the mode with the community. To that end there have been a couple or Riot employees that have been super active on the official Subreddit for the game, (https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamfightTactics/) but especially given that Underlords is also already out and in a more polished state then TFT seems like it's stumbling out of the gate. The game is missing a lot of polish from a technical perspective.

The good part though is that a lot of the major issues people have been having with the game are things that are reasonably fixable and Riot seems to really be putting a lot of support behind the mode. Riot is a pretty massive company and basically perfected the Fortnite model of updates years before Fortnite BR was a thing. They've actually had a problem in the past couple years that they were pushing too many major updates to the game too quickly and people were having issues keeping up. IIRC the build they showed off they came up with in less than 2 months, so even if the game isn't great to start with they can potentially update it very quickly and get it into a better spot in the weeks and months to come. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the biggest issues that people are currently having with the game are fixed by the time they ship the game to everyone next week.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of surprised that this thread isn't gaining much traction because I feel like this mode can easily become the next big thing. Auto Chess is a super popular mode in Dota 2, to the point where it caused Dota to reach its highest player count in 2 years. I think that Auto Chess is very well-positioned to become the next big genre in multiplayer. Epic, Riot, and Valve if the leaked info is true, are all trying to make their own version of Auto Chess to capitalize on the emerging genre. And of those 3 I think that Riot is by far the best-positioned to succeed. They're getting the the market far sooner then their competitors, they have more resources then the other teams, and they already have a collection of characters that people are already attached to with a client that people already use. The fact that Riot is already going to be implementing a ranked mode just a couple weeks after the game drops leads me to believe that Riot has a lot of faith that this will succeed, Riot pretty much never adds in ranked for their side modes.
From what I've seen the original Dota Auto Chess is the most fun out of all of them and it's free - no keys, out now.

Made a post in the DUL thread about how to join the PBE edition whenever it launches (today?)
So if anyone wants to play Teamfight Tactics (Riot's Auto Chess) you need
- LoL (Rito account)
- additional sign up to Public Beta Environment (PBE)
- no bans
- honor level 3+ (New account start at 2)
- account verified required (I'm sure they are getting hammered for requests)
https://pbesignup.na.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/pbe

https://dotesports.com/news/how-to-get-a-pbe-account-for-league-of-legends
- 12 GB extra d/l (on top of LoL 12-15 GB)
- PBE is Chicago server only
- smaller capacity (wtf sometimes take an hour to log in, I assume it's going to get hammered June 18-25)

Said to be launching on PBE with 9.13 on June 18 (time ?)

Full access for everyone June 25 (time ?)
t1561478400z4.png

Service Status

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Servers are "up" right now, but the test server (which usually has less then 1000 people on at a time) is from what I can tell at max capacity and so it's going to take an eternity to log in. They're apparently looking into increasing the server capacity (they're slowly increasing it right now) but it's moving very slow so don't get your hopes up. I got in initially, played a game, then had my client glitch out so I tried to relaunch to fix it and now I've been stuck in a login queue for 15 or so minutes now with no indicator when I'll actually be able to log back in.

The one game I played was fun enough, I feel like the biggest problem I had was that I feel like most players just piled all their units into a back corner due to the rows only being 3 deep. Also I really hope they have a damage graph up and running soon as that would be pretty nice to have. I won my game, but one of the players glitched out and it looks like he didn't end up matching up with an opponent for like half of the game . Probably the other big issue is how insane the damage gets late-game. I get that they want faster matches but it's silly that losing a round by 5 units early on does like 10-15 damage whereas losing a round by 3 units late-game can easily do 25+ damage. I feel like attacks should be normalized a bit so early losses deal more damage and late losses deal a bit less.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that they want faster matches but it's silly that losing a round by 5 units early on does like 10-15 damage whereas losing a round by 3 units late-game can easily do 25+ damage. I feel like attacks should be normalized a bit so early losses deal more damage and late losses deal a bit less.
A popular strategy is to lose intentionally early to amass gold.
Remember it's a "gambling" game, not a pure tactics game.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game. Need them to add more heroes. Ran an insane assassin squad that wiped everyone out late game with my mana Regen Katarina being the key piece.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I think this is the one that's going to eat the cake if only for all that LoL traction.

Although I hope Underlords does well too, because I like that one better and I hope there will be enough people to play with and keep it healthy. If there isn't... well, Teamfight it is.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
If you've played autochess, how does it compare?
They actually feel quite a bit different even if their a similar game. It is very easy to steamroll in TFT once you get one or two really strong characters. In Underlords it seems like it mostly stays relatively balanced until the game end. So for example with this Katarina build I did she was critting for around 1.2-1.3k on top of getting a full mana bar every 3-4 attacks which would proc her huge aoe that would just shred the enemy team. On top of that if she died she healed everyone around her for 1k which was a benefit for the whole team. I ended up winning this game with I believe around 80+ hp left most of which was lost in the first couple rounds trying to get it off the ground. It is a bit easier to catch up in TFT also though with the ability to make your own items if your looking for a certain build/playstyle and the carousel giving you a change at really good characters and items if your in a low ranking. I couldn't find a way to unequip items in TFT which Underlords has although Underlords has dmg meters to see who is performing while TFT does not. The monster rounds in TFT also feel alot easier then the ones in Underlords. TFT has a sort of battlepass system already in place along with dailies while Underlords does not. Team synergy seems about the same in both while itemization is alot better imo in TFT with the ability to combine items to either give yourself an extra character on the board, an very nice power boost through the item itself, or even add an extra class to your character. So far I'm liking TFT a bit better just due to the itemization aspect and the ability to really steamroll if you set up your team right.
OLWzOUF.jpg

Is there a ban phase or do you just roll with whatever?

No ban phase you get the carousel at the start of the game and the 8 players have a chance at picking a character with an item to start off.

If anyone has anymore questions about either game just let me know. Also should have some Underlord keys if anyone wants to try it out.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How is it that there is no ability to progress how far you are from level 3 honor in LoL? Currently trying to get there to be able to get in and try TFT, and getting quite a few recommendations but still at level 2 and there is no way to see your progress. Baffling design.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that there is no ability to progress how far you are from level 3 honor in LoL? Currently trying to get there to be able to get in and try TFT, and getting quite a few recommendations but still at level 2 and there is no way to see your progress. Baffling design.
It takes a long time to progress to begin with. I think there's like 2 or 3 levelups for honor until you get honor 3 from honor 2, and each levelup will take a couple weeks to a month if you play a decent amount of the game. It's way too slow to target level honor.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It takes a long time to progress to begin with. I think there's like 2 or 3 levelups for honor until you get honor 3 from honor 2, and each levelup will take a couple weeks to a month if you play a decent amount of the game. It's way too slow to target level honor.

Ahh okay. Well Ill just have to wait then :) (I might still keep on playing more LoL though, havent really dabbled in that before)

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Riot designed the honor system in a way that you will max it out late in the season, so it's pretty slow. Like, right now I'm Honor 4 checkpoint 1.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Riot designed the honor system in a way that you will max it out late in the season, so it's pretty slow. Like, right now I'm Honor 4 checkpoint 1.

Which is fine, but having a way to track progress would still be better. Hence why FFXIV's commendation system works so well.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the one that's going to eat the cake if only for all that LoL traction.

Although I hope Underlords does well too, because I like that one better and I hope there will be enough people to play with and keep it healthy. If there isn't... well, Teamfight it is.
Underlords has the advantage of also being a mobile game.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This game is cleaner than Dota Underlords. Dota Underlords looks like a mobile game on pc which means the mobile version is basically done which is good for them but TFT looks like the better pc game. I gotta be honest I think TFT will come out on top. I say this entirely based on streams though as I haven't played anything but normal auto chess mod.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is cleaner than Dota Underlords. Dota Underlords looks like a mobile game on pc which means the mobile version is basically done which is good for them but TFT looks like the better pc game. I gotta be honest I think TFT will come out on top. I say this entirely based on streams though as I haven't played anything but normal auto chess mod.
What do you consider coming out on top though? DotA 2 and LoL exist simultaneously.

Also, do we even know how TFT is being monetized? Do existing LoL skins work in it?

I'm sure TFT (The Frozen Throne?) will have a mobile version pretty soon too. Not at launch, but soon.
Really? That's a surprise considering LoL never got one (right?)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
What do you consider coming out on top though? DotA 2 and LoL exist simultaneously.

Also, do we even know how TFT is being monetized? Do existing LoL skins work in it?

I think it's more appealing to watch than Underlords and the graphics are better which makes for a better viewing experience on streams or in tourneys. Frankly I think Underlords is a little ugly. As for skins I don't think there will be any overlap for either of them as they will want people to buy into these games. I do think both games will have skins as I can't think of any other way to monetize them.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I think it's more appealing to watch than Underlords and the graphics are better which makes for a better viewing experience on streams or in tourneys. Frankly I think Underlords is a little ugly.

Really? The color palette is so bland and monotone it's hard to follow the action. Besides that, the models have this amateurish ugly Chinese knockoff look and the animations are terrible.

Not only is it bland looking, it's hard to tell what's going on. It's a terrible viewing experience.

In comparison, Auto Chess and Underlords are colorful, with clearly defined models, good animations, and good particle effects. They're pretty easy to watch.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more appealing to watch than Underlords and the graphics are better which makes for a better viewing experience on streams or in tourneys. Frankly I think Underlords is a little ugly. As for skins I don't think there will be any overlap for either of them as they will want people to buy into these games. I do think both games will have skins as I can't think of any other way to monetize them.
I can understand preferring League's artstyle, but DOTA Underlords definitely looks better graphically, and it's way more entertaining to look at from what I've watched from both.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Underlords new PC UI is great. Very easy to navigate while having a perfect size for pc.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Really? The color palette is so bland and monotone it's hard to follow the action. Besides that, the models have this amateurish ugly Chinese knockoff look and the animations are terrible.

Not only is it bland looking, it's hard to tell what's going on. It's a terrible viewing experience.

In comparison, Auto Chess and Underlords are colorful, with clearly defined models, good animations, and good particle effects. They're pretty easy to watch.
I like neither artstyle too much. Honestly dota's artstyle is really good for gameplay in my opinion even if I've gotten bored of it over the years and can't stand the cosmetic noise but the base silhouettes are great, I would still kind of describe it a bit ugly but it's super functional.

That said I think people underestimate the mass appeal of the league artstyle. It's not for me but from what I've seen it appeals way more to mainstream sensitivities than dota. There is just more cute stuff within the league visuals. Feels a bit like how wow used to have horde and alliance imbalances because of these aesthetic reasons hence they introduced bloodelves for the horde.

Like I've seen that weird pinguin courier thing and that just screams cuteness pandering.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand preferring League's artstyle, but DOTA Underlords definitely looks better graphically, and it's way more entertaining to look at from what I've watched from both.
I think the graphics is kind of a taste thing. Dota underlords looks really cartoony and has nicer animations right now. Outside of the animations it's just a matter if you prefer cartoony graphics.

Most people seem to think teamfight tactics is more entertaining just from looking at twitch viewer numbers. TFT has like 20x the viewers of underlords right now.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I think the graphics is kind of a taste thing. Dota underlords looks really cartoony and has nicer animations right now. Outside of the animations it's just a matter if you want cartoony graphics.

Most people seem to think teamfight tactics is more entertaining just from looking at twitch viewer numbers. TFT has like 20x the viewers of underlords right now.
LoL community is much larger and to get into the UL beta there's multiple easy ways while for TFT you have to fit multiple criteria and still get lucky.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on that fighting game...

Shame about there not being a mobile version though

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
LoL community is much larger and to get into the UL beta there's multiple easy ways while for TFT you have to fit multiple criteria and still get lucky.
You just need honor 3 to get into PBE, which the overwhelming majority of active league players will already have. It's way more difficult for non-league players since you can't just buy yourself into it like Underlords.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm going to try TFT when it's available but my dislike for the visuals and aesthetic is going to be difficult to overcome. The washed out pastels and over-the-top cuteness is off-putting.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the graphics is kind of a taste thing. Dota underlords looks really cartoony and has nicer animations right now. Outside of the animations it's just a matter if you prefer cartoony graphics.

I wouldn't draw that conclusion. League has far more viewers than DOTA does as well. Granted, it's 2x and not 20x (thought you were exaggerating and checked - it's actually 20x the viewers).

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

I don't think it's taste. I think it's objective design:

maxresdefault.jpg

These units are indistinct and hard to visualize even when not in motion. In motion the game looks like a garbled mess.

Auto Chess and Underlords have a more cartoon style, with bolder colors, and more distinct models. The animations are better as well. It's easier and faster to visually parse what these units are:
DU1.jpg

Last night I noticed streamers like Dog and Hafu taking a long time to visually recognize what units were what during the round-robin unit selection phases, the one where everyone goes and grabs a unit. You could argue that's unfamiliarity with the units but I think it's also an effect of the indistinct, muted art design of TFT.

IMO

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So are there any good tutorials for this yet? I played a few rounds and finished 4th once, I have some understanding of how it all works like if you buy three times the same unit they for one ranked up unit but can you rank up already ranked up units again? And the synergy between all the classes and races is lost to me too for the moment.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks kind of... bad? I don't play Dota or League so I don't really have a dog in this fight outside of just really enjoying the Auto Chess genre. This just looks really bland and uninteresting compared to the other two games.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't draw that conclusion. League has far more viewers than DOTA does as well. Granted, it's 2x and not 20x (thought you were exaggerating and checked - it's actually 20x the viewers).
That's fair I suppose, it's hard to tell what viewership will end up on and viewership might be inflated since it's so new. Underlords is also a really new game though and it has already dropped from its peak at around 60k viewers to the 5k it is at right now. It'll probably take a couple weeks or months to see what people prefer.
I don't think it's taste. I think it's objective design:

maxresdefault.jpg

These units are indistinct and hard to visualize even when not in motion. In motion the game looks like a garbled mess.

Auto Chess and Underlords have a more cartoon style, with bolder colors, and more distinct models. The animations are better as well. It's easier and faster to visually parse what these units are:
DU1.jpg

Last night I noticed streamers like Dog and Hafu taking a long time to visually recognize what units were what during the round-robin unit selection phases, the one where everyone goes and grabs a unit. You could argue that's unfamiliarity with the units but I think it's also an effect of the indistinct, muted art design of TFT.

IMO
I think it's mainly unfamiliarity with the units. I have no issues telling the league units apart, but then again I do play league. Even if you think the colors are really muted every champ has a distinct silhouette. I can tell underlord units apart from each other, but I couldn't tell you which is which from a glance - which is just unfamiliarity with the units for my part.

I disagree about the "objective design" part, there's nothing objective about it.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They removed the cartoon outlines a few days ago, they're optionals. Also TFT is that much more popular because it's a side mode from League, which is way more popular than DOTA, so it's gonna have more visibility. It's not because the game looks better, League was ugly as hell before they remade the map skin and started doing champ reworks. It became that much more popular because of its accessibility and because it came way before DOTA2 to the market. Also a lot of the big streamers that were playing Underlords are now trying TFT because they want to try all the new Auto Chess games, so factor all of these and it explains why TFT is at the top right now.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
They removed the cartoon outlines a few days ago, they're optionals. Also TFT is that much more popular because it's a side mode from League, which is way more popular than DOTA, so it's gonna have more visibility. It's not because the game looks better, League was ugly as hell before they remade the map skin and started doing champ reworks. It became that much more popular because of its accessibility and because it came way before DOTA2 to the market. Also a lot of the big streamers that were playing Underlords are now trying TFT because they want to try all the new Auto Chess games, so factor all of these and it explains why TFT is at the top right now.
It still looks really cartoony to me without the outlines.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I know that you're not using it as a pejorative term, it's just weird that this is a point for you about DOTA while League's art style is way more cartoon
I don't think it's weird. Tft has more muted, washed out colors while underlords has more bright, saturated colors. That's what makes it look more cartoony to me.

For what it's worth, I don't think dota 2 looks as cartoony as underlords.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's uglier than TFT.

That's not really what you originally said. You said it looks like a mobile game. And that TFT's UI is cleaner.
Whatever is ugly is highly personal. But saying that the new Underlords UI looks like a mobile game is weird. In fact with the big hero selection pictures and the stocky washed out heroes I would say currently TFT's pc UI would be more mobile friendly. Are you not thinking of the old Underlords UI?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
That video was made before the new UI was patched though?

For me the changes are not substantial enough to change my opinion. It just looks like the mobile version was the priority, which makes sense, and the pc version is a port if you will, which they are adjusting. TFT looks like an actual pc game through and through and I like that and think it will make for a better tourney and streaming scene. We'll see but I think I'm right.