• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I usually don't get caught up with graphics but in this "auto-battler" genre you're literally watching more than anything else so visual appeal is important. The problem I have with TFT is the models already look about a decade/generation behind and I can't imagine it getting much better unless Riot does an engine overhaul.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For me the changes are not substantial enough to change my opinion. It just looks like the mobile version was the priority, which makes sense, and the pc version is a port if you will, which they are adjusting. TFT looks like an actual pc game through and through and I like that and think it will make for a better tourney and streaming scene. We'll see but I think I'm right.

Definitely this was made from a mobile and then converted. Basically because it's easier to program that way. Going Pc First and then changing it down to mobile is way harder.
Graphics wise the units have more fidelity in Underlords currently. I expect the graphics to be improved in TFT though, especially unit animations are effing bad in TFT right now.

I definitely agree that TFT will probably win the stream war simply because LoL is so massive. Tournament wise I don't know. I really don't watch any Riot tournaments so I couldn't say.

I think it's safe to say the big looser will be Epics product though.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I actually didn't know Epic were making one lol oh ya rip that game. With such a head start Underlords and TFT will be tough to beat and we will have a Dota vs League situation again where they are both successful but everyone else is frozen out. Both Underlords and TFT are very early access so who knows where I'll stand when they are both complete. I don't play any MOBA so I have no love or knowledge of most of the characters just ones I know from watching streams over the years. I also really hope Blizzard isn't making one too lol.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I actually didn't know Epic were making one lol oh ya rip that game. With such a head start Underlords and TFT will be tough to beat and we will have a Dota vs League situation again where they are both successful but everyone else is frozen out. Both Underlords and TFT are very early access so who knows where I'll stand when they are both complete. I don't play any MOBA so I have no love or knowledge of most of the characters just ones I know from watching streams over the years. I also really hope Blizzard isn't making one too lol.

Tencent basically bought the rights to Drodos Auto Chess pc version.

I have played a ton of Dota 2 back in the day and a lot of Hots.
But will keep playing both Underlords and TFT. Both games have their unique strengths that appeal to me.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Would LOVE to play this game mode but my league account got banned like 4-5 years ago ;(

Oct 25, 2017

You're probably right. I occasionally am loading up Auto Chess Origins on iPhone -- honestly, it's a pretty good version -- and it turns out they are doing "reservations" for the PC beta right now and all of 0 people have mentioned it, since it's be on EGS.

I'd give the tilt to Dota Underlords right now.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
i'll try TFT for sure, if only just to play with new units / alliances compared to autochess / underlords which are pretty similar to each other

TFT looks pretty fugly though not gonna lie

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Just from watching streams, this game is gonna be huge. Looks like ill need a new league account to play it

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Riot just kinda needs to do model/animation updates in TFT, which shouldn't be too hard if people keep calling them out on it.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
one thing i really like about TFT are the social aspects

courier memeing, traveling to other boards, etc

reminds me of DAC whereas underlords can be a little lonely sometimes

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
I usually don't get caught up with graphics but in this "auto-battler" genre you're literally watching more than anything else so visual appeal is important. The problem I have with TFT is the models already look about a decade/generation behind and I can't imagine it getting much better unless Riot does an engine overhaul.
LoL is huge in developing countries. I don't know if they have ever outright said it but they can't afford leaving potato PCs behind.

Hell that's the only reason I still play lol over other things. Sorry that my poverty hinders the game's development.

Gold

Oct 27, 2017
Yea not feeling it, played a few games and not that interested. Will try the other versions once they have a open beta.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I played some autochess game on mobile and found it hard to enjoy. What's the appeal for you folk that play? While I only played for a short while, it didn't seem like I had that much control in what happened.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017

Tencent basically bought the rights to Drodos Auto Chess pc version.

I have played a ton of Dota 2 back in the day and a lot of Hots.
But will keep playing both Underlords and TFT. Both games have their unique strengths that appeal to me.

Epic is not making an Auto Chess, it is just publishing the original on the EGS. The original has the biggest playerbase on mobile, it's still in a good position to take the top spot.

Tencent tried to trademark Auto Chess, but they haven't announced anything related to it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Epic is not making an Auto Chess, it is just publishing the original on the EGS. The original has the biggest playerbase on mobile, it's still in a good position to take the top spot.

Tencent tried to trademark Auto Chess, but they haven't announced anything related to it.

Yes they are publishing it. I think Tencent will be making it. From what I understand Drodo is not involved in development of the EPIC store one. They simply sold the rights.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they are publishing it. I think Tencent will be making it. From what I understand Drodo is not involved in development of the EPIC store one. They simply sold the rights.

Dragonest and Drodo are developing it, same as the mobile version (it's probably just an adaptation to UE4, they don't really need to change much). Tencent has nothing to do with Auto Chess as far as it is publicly known.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dragonest and Drodo are developing it, same as the mobile version (it's probably just an adaptation to UE4, they don't really need to change much). Tencent has nothing to do with Auto Chess as far as it is publicly known.

Weird...I have heard Drodo only sold rights to an exact copy and that they would be focused on the mobile version.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I played some autochess game on mobile and found it hard to enjoy. What's the appeal for you folk that play? While I only played for a short while, it didn't seem like I had that much control in what happened.
It kind of taps into the essence of what makes drafting a deck in something like hearthstone arena fun.
It basically takes that drafting element and makes that the core gameplay. So all you're doing the whole game is making draft consideration (composition, percentage of a piece showing up, economy).

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

it is similar to drafting magic the gathering or 7 wonders - where you are all competing for a pool of resources. trying to figure out what you can put together while others do the same is the game itself.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So I gave DOTA Underlords a spin since it's so hard to get on the PBE and honestly while it was fun it just had me yearning for more Teamfight Tacticts. Due to my unfamiliarity with DOTA and my familiarity with LoL, TFT is just way more appealing to me. Thursday can't come fast enough!

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
watching both and not having any experience with either Dota or LoL, TFT looks better imo. Something about it just screams more 'fun'.

this new genre is pretty cool. Reminds me of MTG which I was hugely into back in the day.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
watching both and not having any experience with either Dota or LoL, TFT looks better imo. Something about it just screams more 'fun'.

I've only managed to play one TFT match, but I've watched streamers like Toast and Forsen, and it definitely looks more fun. I think it's the combos with stronger items being more fun in a ridiculous way, kind of like Isaac vs. Gungeon.

Also, the carousel, on top of being an interesting comeback mechanic, gives it more of a feeling of a party game.

If they work on those two aspects and reduce game times a bit further, it might replace AC for me.

Oct 28, 2017
So this is still on track to launch tomorrow, yeah? Can anyone share their thoughts? I've been following along a bit on Twitch and I like what I see.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
What i want to know is what level you have to be with the launch. Can I start a new account and jump straight into TFT? Or do i have to be level 30

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Unless someone makes one then it will be instead of an OT I guess.
So this is still on track to launch tomorrow, yeah? Can anyone share their thoughts? I've been following along a bit on Twitch and I like what I see.
It's gonna release during the patch that goes up during tomorrow night, but TFT might not launch immediately after the patch. It might get unlocked a couple of days after the patch is live.
What i want to know is what level you have to be with the launch. Can I start a new account and jump straight into TFT? Or do i have to be level 30
I don't think we know this yet. I think Riot would be dumb to not allow people to play TFT with a fresh account.

Oct 28, 2017
Unless someone makes one then it will be instead of an OT I guess.

It's gonna release during the patch that goes up during tomorrow night, but TFT might not launch immediately after the patch. It might get unlocked a couple of days after the patch is live.

I don't think we know this yet. I think Riot would be dumb to not allow people to play TFT with a fresh account.

I'll make an OT for it if no one else is interested. I'll wait til release though.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

Trailer is up. Hopefully it launches sooner rather than later since the patch comes tonight.

Also some more info:

New to league?

No worries, just download League of Legends, tell us you're here for Teamfight Tactics, and start playing.

So that probably means you don't need to level up any accounts at the very least.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this released today, and seems to be blowing up. First time i've seen a queue when logging into League -- as least in a very long time.

Really excited to finally give it a go!

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Absolutely crazy that there's been almost zero discussion of TFT on Era. This shows that we're just a narrow slice of the overall gaming ecosystem.

I hope Riot considers porting this to mobile in the future. I'd love to chill out on the couch with my iPad rather than sit up at a PC.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely crazy that there's been almost zero discussion of TFT on Era. This shows that we're just a narrow slice of the overall gaming ecosystem.

I hope Riot considers porting this to mobile in the future. I'd love to chill out on the couch with my iPad rather than sit up at a PC.

In the meantime it should work well with Steam InHome Streaming or Nvidia Gamestream via Moonlight.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California

There is very little League discussion on era in general when it is one of the most popular games out there.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

There are lots of super popular games that barely see any discussion here. The Rainbow Six thread for example also seems to only have the same 5 people talking to each other.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played my first match, impressions:

Wow i'm really bad.

I love how it looks. I think the aesthetic and look is significantly smoother on my eyes than Underlords.

I wish the units changed when leveling up rather than just getting bigger.

I wish I could play this on my iPad, may have to look into Moonlight.

It feels good for some reason, can't pin why

Overall I really like it! Probably my favorite of the Auto Chess games so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Only played 1 game so far but like it quite a bit.

But as someone who has never played League I have a hell of a hard time knowing the character portrait from the character on the board and clicking the character on the board doesn't even bring up a portrait or anything. Guess it's just going to take a little time to learn that and all the items.

Looking forward to playing a lot this weekend, hopefully then the servers are up to par.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Only played 1 game so far but like it quite a bit.

But as someone who has never played League I have a hell of a hard time knowing the character portrait from the character on the board and clicking the character on the board doesn't even bring up a portrait or anything. Guess it's just going to take a little time to learn that and all the items.

Looking forward to playing a lot this weekend, hopefully then the servers are up to par.

You can right click the characters on the board (or was it left click.. i dont remember).. but either way it brings a little popup saying their ability/ name / items they are using, etc.

Mar 19, 2018
Out of the 3 auto chess games I've played (origins, underlords, TFT) this is easily the best one.

The item diversity + carousel is what does it for me. I also played league for 5+ years so that appeals to me as well.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I missed the beta/playtests for this, but finally tried it yesterday for the first time hands on. Even though Im sure there's lots of improvements to come my first game felt super fun, I can already tell this is something I'm gonna be playing a lot this year. The carousel is hilarious. I just hope we can make Reksai less lazy (I lost a fight once because she was just chillin in the corner watching her comrades die)

Yeah, it has always felt like ERA is rather quiet about things like Dota and League in my long time here (even in the before-place). But that's ok, there's plenty of really big dedicated communities for that stuff elsewhere, which makes this place nice for everything else in one spot!

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to give this game a go soon. I wish it was available on mobile because I'm not sure if my laptop can even run this.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think item drops make this literally one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. Two games in a row I've had ONE single drop from neutral mobs the entire game. What am I supposed to do? You literally just auto lose when I have 2 1/2 completed items versus half the lobby having 4-6.

Dyscord

Oct 27, 2017
I've having a lot more fun with this game than Underlords which I've put a lot of hours into.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I think item drops make this literally one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. Two games in a row I've had ONE single drop from neutral mobs the entire game. What am I supposed to do? You literally just auto lose when I have 2 1/2 completed items versus half the lobby having 4-6.
Item consistency seems to be the weakest point of this game, ye. Wouldn't say it made it worst game I played tho.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Visually speaking the game is harder to read then underlords and I spent much more time with league then dota. Item system would be cool if it wasn't the main reason for the games being so unbalanced. The rng drop rates need to go. Lastly I still cant get over how off the game looks. Idk why but it just looks worse then a regular league match to me, the unit sizes seem off or somthing kind of like they are floating on board, idk what it is but it bothers me.

Macattk15

Nov 4, 2017
I like Underlords MUCH more than TFT. The queue times are one of the reasons .... and Underlords just feels more polished to me.

Though shorter games in TFT are nicer if you're looking for that.

Sometimes I have AI just STANDING around doing nothing .... with nothing blocking their path to an enemy, yet they rather just stand there and stare. Happens in Underlords too with bad pathing, but not as much.

The item drops are handled MUCH worse in TFT. I do like being able to equip more than one item on a hero though.

Very familiar with the heroes in both games. I've played so much League and I was amazed in the first game I played that I couldn't tell who the hell some of the heroes were in the draft phase just by looking at them.

I've only played 3 games of TFT vs a ton more on Underlords. I placed 2nd, 5th and 3rd in the 3 games I did play. I'll give it more chances.

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Having fun but I'm finding both Glacial origin and item-stacking to be OP right now. The item RNG is way too impactful. If items are going to be this powerful there needs to be guaranteed drops. That at least ensures all players have the same number of items.