• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah item stacking combined with the insane drop rng is a real problem. The "floaty" unit movement also is an issue because it makes it harder to rearrange your units based on movement pattern.
Also the UI is very bad. It takes to many clicks/mouse overs to get the information needed.
I do love the match times, draft and the fact that battles happen on a shared board.
But I do think Underlords is a straight up better game design.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Been playing this all morning and loving it, just made a comeback from last place at 3 hp to victory.. So good. I havent played Dota Underlords or Auto Chess but i have watched AC on twitch since it blew up, Underlords and AC seems more polished overall but im sticking with TFT since im a big Lol fan.

Riot have said that they are working on the item system to make it less RNG so i hope the patch comes out soon.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this all morning and loving it, just made a comeback from last place at 3 hp to victory.. So good. I havent played Dota Underlords or Auto Chess but i have watched AC on twitch since it blew up, Underlords and AC seems more polished overall but im sticking with TFT since im a big Lol fan.

Riot have said that they are working on the item system to make it less RNG so i hope the patch comes out soon.

I am sure it will. Both Valve and Riot seem to be all in on these games. I honestly hope both games get a healthy amount of players.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty typical Resetera here, the biggest game in the world right now and virtually no talk about it.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty typical Resetera here, the biggest game in the world right now and virtually no talk about it.

To be fair, it isnt like the Underlords thread is off the charts with replies or anything. Auto Chess just doesnt seem to be like majority era's cup of tea. And honestly, Auto Chess itself is not very welcoming to new players.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played probably about 10 matches of this now. I think the main thing I really like is how much room there is for adapting and trying out new things with the items. The ability to combine them into different things really opens up a dynamic strategy to the game. I had a Kassadin who I put a Rageblade and Phantom Dancer on and if he had a few seconds to attack he'd become invincible since he was building up so many shields with the attack speed.

The main thing i'd want to see changed with it is guarantee everyone gets items, even if they're random items. Make people deal with the hand their dealt but it feels bad if one person gets a spatula and a BF sword and needlessly large rod and you get nothing. This seems like something they're testing internally and plan on changing thankfully.

Something feels off about the unit movement that I hope they continue tweaking. It feels like I have a much weaker grasp of how units will move in this as opposed to the others, which feels exasperated by the annoying bug where a unit will just AFK in the back and do nothing until all your other units are dead and it finally gets attacked.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I missed the beta/playtests for this, but finally tried it yesterday for the first time hands on. Even though Im sure there's lots of improvements to come my first game felt super fun, I can already tell this is something I'm gonna be playing a lot this year. The carousel is hilarious. I just hope we can make Reksai less lazy (I lost a fight once because she was just chillin in the corner watching her comrades die)

Yeah, it has always felt like ERA is rather quiet about things like Dota and League in my long time here (even in the before-place). But that's ok, there's plenty of really big dedicated communities for that stuff elsewhere, which makes this place nice for everything else in one spot!
the force queue time didn't help

anyone know if that bullshit 1 1/2 hour wait is still happening i'm still out of town til tomorrow

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
You can make some insane comebacks in this and I'm loving it.

I only have one huge gripe. Getting no items during neutral rounds. It can set you back so much it makes some games a sack fest.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I've played probably about 10 matches of this now. I think the main thing I really like is how much room there is for adapting and trying out new things with the items. The ability to combine them into different things really opens up a dynamic strategy to the game. I had a Kassadin who I put a Rageblade and Phantom Dancer on and if he had a few seconds to attack he'd become invincible since he was building up so many shields with the attack speed.
I did the same thing on Kass! It was the only thing that kept me in the game that time for a long while haha. I think I'm terrible at deciding how to move into the endgame, I've gotten in the top 3 a bunch of times but can't ever seal the deal :(

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did the same thing on Kass! It was the only thing that kept me in the game that time for a long while haha. I think I'm terrible at deciding how to move into the endgame, I've gotten in the top 3 a bunch of times but can't ever seal the deal :(

That's my main issue as well. I'm not great at deciding which 1*s to replace to stay relevant in mid/late game. I think I get too fixated on my synergies I already have and don't pivot well enough when new options are available.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Finding ridiculous combos is half the fun. Even though I don't think it's optimal, but whenever I go with gunslingers I try to give three items to Graves and put him as a frontlaner. Red buff, hydra, phantom dancer and bloodthirster allow him to melt the front and backline at the same time. I even tried giving him infinity edge and putting him on the side. He was almost oneshotting three squishies at a time.

Oct 28, 2017
I played against a Kass I couldn't attack. Every attack was a miss. What caused that? I won the game in the timeout with 1 health remaining so it was a really close call.

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up with such an amazing assassin comp and the last bastard had glacial and I just couldn't quite finish them off.

Was also really happy with how quickly Riot handled the AP Yasuo issue earlier today. I saw Dog do it and then did it myself in a game and god damn did it ever break the game for like 4 hours lol

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Addicted to this atm. Get to show my love for league without the moba aspect that i played for 5 yrs back in the day

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i was pretty addicted to this for the first week and a half but now ive reeled it back a bit

its still my main game/only thing i feel like playing but I just have regained a semblance of a life as well. very fun

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Not to toot my own horn, but I seem to be very good at this without looking up any strats or watching many streamers. I win just about every other game going with pretty random builds.

I played once tonight and won with a Ranger + Void combo, I got lucky and managed to grab Kindred on three carousels and ended up with a three-item, Level 3 Kindred and Varus.

Yesterday I won with a Demon + Brawler + Blademaster combo, I put an RFC on Aatrox and he was wrecking fools.

I have also previously won with Glacial comps a few times and if I have to pick up an Ahri early the Wild into Sorceror late game seems really really strong.

I can't seem to make an Assassin comp work, I think other people tend to go Assassins and it takes up a lot of the resources to make it worthwhile as you are all fighting for the same pool of draws. Same with Nobles... that comp just bores me too unless I get a really fed Lucian going.

Edit: I also won with a straight Yordle comp recently which was really fun! I was losing most of the game because I couldn't find a Poppy... until I realized that I had her in my hand and forgot about her.

Oct 28, 2017
Noble is good when it works but getting the Kayle can sometimes be a problem. I've had multiple games where she never showed up even at level 8.

I think Assassin pathing is a little iffy.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Noble is good when it works but getting the Kayle can sometimes be a problem. I've had multiple games where she never showed up even at level 8.

I think Assassin pathing is a little iffy.
I had a friend pull three Kayles in one draw, he immediately sold off some other champions and got her two items and was basically perma-ulting.
Nidalee with RFC can melee attack from across the board, lol
I've seen this before! I haven't had a successful Shapeshifter comp yet, I think I did get a Shyv, Gnar, and Swain out on the board at one point though.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
just faced a bullshit ass bug where a person with 6 Noble buff got insane heals even through my attack burn that's suppose to stop or reduce healing. Garen gained 1k hp when started his spin

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no
I am enjoying this game way too much.
:(
-
Also, I managed to make a team with 6 assassins and three... of those weird monster things that together make your characters ignore armor.
And I crushed all the puny nobles. No chance at all for them.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I had a friend pull three Kayles in one draw, he immediately sold off some other champions and got her two items and was basically perma-ulting.

I've seen this before! I haven't had a successful Shapeshifter comp yet, I think I did get a Shyv, Gnar, and Swain out on the board at one point though.

For me, Shapeshifter is almost always desirable in the late game if I'm either in Wild, Yordle or Imperial for my damage sources & I've got a silver Gnar on the front line. It's pretty hohum in my experience up until round 5 - but giving that much HP to a Gnar/Shyvana on the frontline & a Swain on the mid/back can really buy you some absurd amounts of time.

I have friends that swear by rushing Shapeshifter if you get an early silver Elise, but I have never made that work personally.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Shapeshifter is almost always desirable in the late game if I'm either in Wild, Yordle or Imperial for my damage sources & I've got a silver Gnar on the front line. It's pretty hohum in my experience up until round 5 - but giving that much HP to a Gnar/Shyvana on the frontline & a Swain on the mid/back can really buy you some absurd amounts of time.

I have friends that swear by rushing Shapeshifter if you get an early silver Elise, but I have never made that work personally.
Yeah, if you can get a late game going with lvl 2 Shyv/Gnar and potentially a Swain, that could be strong. I might try that out if the RNG gods bless me.

I haven't gone an Imperial build yet because the champs seem so disjointed, not sure what to do with a Darius, Kat, Swain, and Draven. Maybe a soft Imperial into Shapeshifter would work, but it relies so much on getting Swain.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just won my first game tonight also. I had a hybrid comp because I was winning almost every round at the start without spending much. Ended up with the following:

(1) Ninja - lvl 3 Shen
(3) Shape Shifters - lvl 2 Gnar, lvl 2 Swain, lvl 2 Shyvana
(4) Demons - lvl 3 Aatrox, lvl 2 Varus, lvl 2 Brand, lvl 2 Swain
(2) Rangers - lvl 2 Varus, lvl 2 Ashe
(3) Blademasters - lvl 3 Shen, lvl 3 Aatrox, and Varus w/ Spatula + Recurve

I think Varus may be the strongest early game champ in the game, get some attack speed/Mana on him early and he wrecks whole teams. I really like Shen for tanking too, if you can get defensive items on him he absorbs so much and with the solo Ninja buff he can dish some damage too.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just me posting in this thread... won my 4th game in a row. I stacked 3 (!) red buffs on a lvl 3 Shyv, went Demon/Shapeshifter again.

I think going on a losing streak early on is a scam that everyone is telling each other. Picking a strong comp/items early is really important and there is little benefit to losing a bunch of health upfront, it takes away your ability to be flexible later on and flesh out your comp.

Edit: Just came in 6th, which ends my streak. I couldn't put together anything early.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's just me posting in this thread... won my 4th game in a row. I stacked 3 (!) red buffs on a lvl 3 Shyv, went Demon/Shapeshifter again.

I think going on a losing streak early on is a scam that everyone is telling each other. Picking a strong comp/items early is really important and there is little benefit to losing a bunch of health upfront, it takes away your ability to be flexible later on and flesh out your comp.

Edit: Just came in 6th, which ends my streak. I couldn't put together anything early.

Yeah I tried tanking my health for the last couple days and I don't feel I've been much better off. There's almost always a decent item available. I do think losing one on purpose might be good.

Does red buff even stack?

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Finally won my first game last weekend! I feel like a huge missing thing that I didn't think about was that not only do you get more high level cards as you level up, you also DON'T get lower level ones. I spent so many games hanging on to hope to finish a 3 star and wasting all my gold lol....

Anyways, I feel like Phantom is very underrated. Mord is good enough to stay around until you get Kindred,which can then carry you into karthus late game. Its basically "-1 units" for the other team as far as I'm concerned, hehe.

OP
OP
spootime

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I"m still obsessed with this game, cant wait for the PBE fixes to item RNG to go live.

Finally won my first game last weekend! I feel like a huge missing thing that I didn't think about was that not only do you get more high level cards as you level up, you also DON'T get lower level ones. I spent so many games hanging on to hope to finish a 3 star and wasting all my gold lol....

Anyways, I feel like Phantom is very underrated. Mord is good enough to stay around until you get Kindred,which can then carry you into karthus late game. Its basically "-1 units" for the other team as far as I'm concerned, hehe.

Yeah, the best way to mitigate item and hero RNG is to build a strong economy and stay flexible. Build a few strong two-stars with decent synergies to stay in the game. Once you get to 40-50 gold you can start building towards your late-game comp.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Yo we need an OT for this STAT. Playing so much I'm losing sleep. First time in a long time that's happened to me

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
So for people who are playing this, how do people get so many 2 stars? Are you constantly refreshing the store to get 3 of the same?

Usually, you hoard t1 units in the first few rounds in order to get some 2 stars. Then you have to balance rerolls with saving for interest because you can't econ hard in TFT unless you are very lucky. When you reach 50 gold, you usually spend most of your gold on rerolls except for the occasional level up.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i also notice you can somewhat cheat the RNG since it's not actually random by buying unwanted higher rarity heroes then sell them. lower rarity champs when sold will highly re-appear but higher rarity will instead force the RNG to try and re-roll something near it's rarity (the same rarity or 1 lower)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Usually, you hoard t1 units in the first few rounds in order to get some 2 stars. Then you have to balance rerolls with saving for interest because you can't econ hard in TFT unless you are very lucky. When you reach 50 gold, you usually spend most of your gold on rerolls except for the occasional level up.

I just never see the same units to get 3 of the same. Each game I've only gotten a total of 3 two star. So far I haven't finished higher than 6th place.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I just never see the same units to get 3 of the same. Each game I've only gotten a total of 3 two star. So far I haven't finished higher than 6th place.
game will try and force you towards certain champs starting round 3. you either follow it or force what you want. easiest way to get out of what it tries to forces you is to just go 4 rangers and any CC tank you can grab

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
i also notice you can somewhat cheat the RNG since it's not actually random by buying unwanted higher rarity heroes then sell them. lower rarity champs when sold will highly re-appear but higher rarity will instead force the RNG to try and re-roll something near it's rarity (the same rarity or 1 lower)

Even if that were true, and it isn't, you wouldn't have a large enough sample size to deduce that. Nothing you are saying makes any sense.

You must be doing something wrong because it's almost impossible to get so few 2-star champions unless you are intentionally sabotaging yourself :P

Your first few levels should go like this:
  1. Get a t2 from the carrousel (with a spatula or bow if available)
  2. Sell it after the first minion round and buy four of the champions presented (looking for synergies, so trying to pair wilds/nobles/voids/knights).
  3. Keep buying t1 champions and filling your bench. At the end of the three minion rounds, you'll usually have one or two 2-stars.
  4. Without rerolling at all, by the time you reach golems having three 2-stars (hopefully with some synergy) means you are doing okay. If you don't have those three, level up because otherwise, you won't kill golems.
  5. Now by 3-1 you can just spend all your money rerolling for t1 champions, but that strat has been nerfed by the last probability changes. If you do, though, you can get one or two 3-stars fairly early.
After that, keep trying to hit interest milestones (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) while rerolling a bit for the champions you need or the champions you already have, depending on how well you are doing.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Just started playing this about a week ago and I am hooked. I had no idea what I was doing the first few games, having never played any autochess game or League before. I was just blindly picking champs and items based on how "cool" they looked. Didn't even realize you could combine items until like my fourth or fifth game. šŸ˜‚ But now I'm consistently finishing top 4 with even a couple #1 finishes in my last several games.

Is someone working on an OT for this? I was thinking of doing one and posting it around the time ranked launches, but if someone else is working on it, I don't want to step on their toes. Also, I'd love to add some friends from Era, if people want to post their friend code/username/whatever, that would awesome.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this about a week ago and I am hooked. I had no idea what I was doing the first few games, having never played any autochess game or League before. I was just blindly picking champs and items based on how "cool" they looked. Didn't even realize you could combine items until like my fourth or fifth game. šŸ˜‚ But now I'm consistently finishing top 4 with even a couple #1 finishes in my last several games.

Is someone working on an OT for this? I was thinking of doing one and posting it around the time ranked launches, but if someone else is working on it, I don't want to step on their toes. Also, I'd love to add some friends from Era, if people want to post their friend code/username/whatever, that would awesome.
I'll try to make one tomorrow.
Sounds like Carthago is making one.

My tag in League is "Chronos". I'm on playing with friends most weeknights. I'm pretty busy this weekend, but I might be on Sunday.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
You must be doing something wrong because it's almost impossible to get so few 2-star champions unless you are intentionally sabotaging yourself :P

Your first few levels should go like this:
  1. Get a t2 from the carrousel (with a spatula or bow if available)
  2. Sell it after the first minion round and buy four of the champions presented (looking for synergies, so trying to pair wilds/nobles/voids/knights).
  3. Keep buying t1 champions and filling your bench. At the end of the three minion rounds, you'll usually have one or two 2-stars.
  4. Without rerolling at all, by the time you reach golems having three 2-stars (hopefully with some synergy) means you are doing okay. If you don't have those three, level up because otherwise, you won't kill golems.
  5. Now by 3-1 you can just spend all your money rerolling for t1 champions, but that strat has been nerfed by the last probability changes. If you do, though, you can get one or two 3-stars fairly early.
After that, keep trying to hit interest milestones (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) while rerolling a bit for the champions you need or the champions you already have, depending on how well you are doing.

Well, I guess I just had bad luck. Game right after I made that post I had like 5 2-stars by round 8 or so. However shortly after that I just ended up losing most rounds. I've still yet to place higher than 6th.

I do your step 2 and 3, but the problem is I run out of gold. I either can't buy more units, or I can't level.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess I just had bad luck. Game right after I made that post I had like 5 2-stars by round 8 or so. However shortly after that I just ended up losing most rounds. I've still yet to place higher than 6th.

I do your step 2 and 3, but the problem is I run out of gold. I either can't buy more units, or I can't level.

Levelling early is usually a bad idea unless you are so behind that you need five champions to kill golems.

Sounds like you are picking the wrong champs given what you get or you have other problems (like composition or positioning).

I'd suggest watching scarra's guides or watching educational streamers like him or Hafu.