• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
didn't know there was a new patch, goes in TFT game see's the soulbound things do Senna 3 mages 2 ocean
gets 2 star Senna
gets 2 star Kindred later
Shadow Lux pops swap straight to 6 shadow asap
get Lucian
gets 2 star Shadow Lux
get 3 star Veigar on 6-1
win with 73 hp
Senna had Rageblade, Morello's, deathcap
6-shadow-2-star-lux-win.jpg

6-shadow-2-star-lux-win2.jpg

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

still forcing Senna every game but to more middling success overall, got a bunch of 6th place finishes in between my last 2 wins forcing Shadow comps, yi had an axe for serkers 3

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
amumu 2* + spear of shojin is insane also 6 Warden 4 Cloud clowns blender.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
econ is back on the menu and then get hella lucky, the cloud trait was luckier than getting her to 2* though since my last 2 opponents where blender

Amumu permastunned half the team at times.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
dude just murderized everyone using triple locker on a volibear and 6 berserkers Then got a 2 star Electric Lux

if no one goes Mages you can win with generic 6 wardens

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

new patch guess just rush to 8 and then play all the legendaries, ash had a giant slayer and a shiv to explain her damage unbelievable that I never upgraded her

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
vlad still carries ocean mages imo but oceans are mostly useless outside of that, sides getting ocean 2 with nami + a warden or quiyana

I was mostly amazed at how much damage ashe 1* did

also the way zed works with spat items is stupid, I made zed a warden and regularly had warden 4 bonus going

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ezreal carry is such a sweet thing. Just need a ability can critical then IE and he can hit for 1k at 2 star. then just need a bunch of shit to take all the hits. bonus if you can squeeze in 2 ocean
I got that set up with Berserkers and Zeke's and Lockets then got a death cap from roulette to put on him. if he lived I auto won. almost lost to some Mages but had room to put in a 2 star Yi and Nami. had such a HP lead I saved up to rush to level 9 only a few rounds after rushing lvl 8
Silver 1 after that 1st place

2 star Amumu is scary

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
have just now someone got 2 star Crystal Lux for 4 Crystal bonus before 5-1

crystal dude lost to sheer brute Force from a 7 Mage, 6 Ocean buld, Quiyana and Nami Mage Caps,

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
My one big issue with this game is the carousel. The fact that you cannot mouse over and see what heroes they are is just dumb.

I just downloaded this game today to find something with more depth than HS BG;s and this is my huge complaint. The game is annoying as fuck to try and learn. Beta or not what in the hell man...

Its like it assumes that you know every units name etc. I cant tell if this unit is one I have 1 of without mousing over wasting time checking the name thats not hovering overhead for some reason... I dunno this shit is sloppy. Carousel is useless because guess what. I cant tell what the units do, and I cannot even tell what the items they are carrying do either. Theres a spatula and with some sort of flavor text that tells me absolutely nothing about its function.

UGGGGGHHHGHGHH

Its been about 3 hours of frustration trying to learn this game. Oh and why cant I at least hit the button during the carousel and mouseover my units back at home and see their names and items? It would help me to learn the names of all these units since thats so important.

I just.

Goddamn it really made me appreciate some of the design choices other studios have made with their games for new players.

Oh and like what 3 button clicks to join a game. Click to Queue, click to join a game, then a new pop up "GAME FOUND ACCEPT!?" Bruh really?

I know its beta, but still that shit is hugely frustrating. Game itself seems fine, its the presentation that annoys me to death.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah I have the same feeling.
They really need to do something about the overall visibility and UI for it.
Underlords does it waaay better but I do like the weapon combo's for this. Just show me a quick recipe of what I can make when I highlight 2 items or something.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Theres overwolf or blitz you can download for an overload that helps with item combinations and such but champs you'll just have to learn.

TFT is definitely the least welcoming of all the auto battlers I've played but it's also the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I just downloaded this game today to find something with more depth than HS BG;s and this is my huge complaint. The game is annoying as fuck to try and learn. Beta or not what in the hell man...

Its like it assumes that you know every units name etc. I cant tell if this unit is one I have 1 of without mousing over wasting time checking the name thats not hovering overhead for some reason... I dunno this shit is sloppy. Carousel is useless because guess what. I cant tell what the units do, and I cannot even tell what the items they are carrying do either. Theres a spatula and with some sort of flavor text that tells me absolutely nothing about its function.

UGGGGGHHHGHGHH

Its been about 3 hours of frustration trying to learn this game. Oh and why cant I at least hit the button during the carousel and mouseover my units back at home and see their names and items? It would help me to learn the names of all these units since thats so important.

I just.

Goddamn it really made me appreciate some of the design choices other studios have made with their games for new players.

Oh and like what 3 button clicks to join a game. Click to Queue, click to join a game, then a new pop up "GAME FOUND ACCEPT!?" Bruh really?

I know its beta, but still that shit is hugely frustrating. Game itself seems fine, its the presentation that annoys me to death.
they've been slowly adding some new user and userablity features since he initial 1.0.
the home square user thing on seeing champion name/origin/type seems like it's something easy to fix maybe caylen could at least suggest for us

Yeah I have the same feeling.
They really need to do something about the overall visibility and UI for it.
Underlords does it waaay better but I do like the weapon combo's for this. Just show me a quick recipe of what I can make when I highlight 2 items or something.
if you do pick up a item and hover over it to another it will show you what they make without doing the combine

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You can combine items? Good lord.

I dunno, theres just so much discovery that it seems theres no hints too.

I like the game though. I really do. I got some sparkly card yesterday at the end of my first session that carried me to a 3rd place. She shot a big ass laser when she got full mana. I got 2 of her. I was praying to get a third to see her triple up but I died first lol.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I think there are keyboard shortcuts that bring up a summary of info on the champion when you are mousing over them, but i forget what it is. After reading some kb shortcuts I found it a lot easier to play. The first time I played it and the carousel happened I had no idea what was happening. I kind of hope they ditch it when it comes to mobile.

Speaking of mobile, it runs really badly on my old laptop, I really hope they have an open beta or something soon.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To an extent, TFT being "for" League players is sort of informing its UI and design decisions on stuff like this. A League player sees a BFS, they know what that does. The heroes all use their in-game abilities, too, so the synergies and stat particulars are all you really have to pick up once you know which ability is being used.

I figure when they put out the mobile version the learning issue will crop up more and they'll get that QoL stuff in.

edit: Played my first match in a little while and hit 2 life before getting 6 infernal on the board. Ended up in second. Goddamn that's strong stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
To an extent, TFT being "for" League players is sort of informing its UI and design decisions on stuff like this. A League player sees a BFS, they know what that does. The heroes all use their in-game abilities, too, so the synergies and stat particulars are all you really have to pick up once you know which ability is being used.

I figure when they put out the mobile version the learning issue will crop up more and they'll get that QoL stuff in.

edit: Played my first match in a little while and hit 2 life before getting 6 infernal on the board. Ended up in second. Goddamn that's strong stuff.
Amumu does some work if he survives to get his ult off

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

I was 1 singed away from 3*
I love Amumu with a Shojin so much, gave him a runan's as well to spam his ult even more
also my lvl 7 rolls were absurd I hit every legendary except Zed, took me a bit to incorporate them all

almost back to plat IV where I ended in Set 1

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I got a third place today. I dont seem to be good at the end game at all. But Im learning the first few names of the first few tiers, and I discovered some of them are good tanks to protect the casters/weaker ones so with that + some lucky item combos + understanding the gold interest system now I managed a 3rd place.

I was nowhere close to the other 2 though. They smoked me and it wasnt even close.

Oh, and a guy helped me in game chat by pointing out one of my guys had an aura for adjacent units but I had him off in the corner by himself, so I repositioned and that was nice. lol.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
8rHXzuK.png

Yess!!

Some of my boxes on the score screen are blank. I think that's because I didn't level up enough? I spent all my gold trying to upgrade the first few units I started with, then tried to hash out some sort of synergy by the end. Best I've ever done.

The other guy smoked me though.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
8rHXzuK.png

Yess!!

Some of my boxes on the score screen are blank. I think that's because I didn't level up enough? I spent all my gold trying to upgrade the first few units I started with, then tried to hash out some sort of synergy by the end. Best I've ever done.

The other guy smoked me though.
getting 2nd while staying level 6 is impressive I'm assuming that Mundo was doing the work

and of course he beat you here had 3 hire units than you, you'd have to have a perfect set up to win that outnumbered

someone disconnected finishing 6th is wild

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Lunar/Soulbound/Assassin (Lunar being a long-term scaling buff that helps assassins means you want Soulbound to prolong the match and Assassin to capitalize on the crit bonuses) strikes me as something that'd be real good, but I'm not sure the pieces are all there without spats.

Also, I got my first first place in a while abusing Soulbound with a GA and Morello on Senna. That shit is broken. If only I could've gotten a second GA for Lucian...

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Today is TFT day, any chance we get the mobile version? I mean there's always a chance right?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Today is TFT day, any chance we get the mobile version? I mean there's always a chance right?
Mobile version and set 3 coming in mid-March, apparently.

Addendum:

unknown.png

Dabs furiously

(Ocean map. Was going to deploy a third Assasin, then I got a Warden's Mail off the Dragon so I grabbed Malph)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
LeBlanc with Iceborn is my new hotness since the change. since it stuns for 1.5 seconds after casting a spell that freezes them long enough for the stun to trigger so you get 3 seconds of CC

also too many people stick around longer now so many games where everyone is still in by 5-1

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it on PBE and it's quite fun, Chrono imo is a bit overtuned with just 2 applying a stacking buff to all your units

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
getting 2nd while staying level 6 is impressive I'm assuming that Mundo was doing the work

and of course he beat you here had 3 hire units than you, you'd have to have a perfect set up to win that outnumbered

someone disconnected finishing 6th is wild

Thank you, I just realized that someone disconnected... that makes it a little less impressive lol. How did you know what level I was? Is it the empty blocks on my line? That means I didnt level up enough to get extra unit spaces right?

Damn. I havent played in weeks but this game is pretty neat for having to balance so many things to play it right. I didnt even think about making sure I didnt fall behind in levels.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I hadn't realized it was like Sorc or Mystic like that... okay, that's good. Almost always gonna be worth dipping in for 2 of 'em if they leave it like that.
Yeah that's what I see in basically all comps because I always place 2nd T_T

Got a neeko galaxy today and got a 3* Jhin then lost to my last opponent that survived at 1 HP.

Something that worked crazy well for me was getting demolitionist for Zigs and giving him a seraphim just permastuns through the early mid game

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this cause set 3 hit yesterday and Mobile hit today and both are aces. Set 2 feels so bad in retrospect, I love all the wacky nonsense you can get up to in S3. Only complaint I have so far is that Gangplank, MF, and Thresh might be overtuned (the last two especially) and Chronos as a whole are probably just too strong. But man, it's so much fun to try and build the perfect Mech Pilots team, or go for lower cost carries like Syndra. Good shit, Riot.

On the mobile front, the new interface works well, though the old "what the hell is this carousel thing what do these units do" problem remains.

Last edited:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this cause set 3 hit yesterday and Mobile hit today and both are aces. Set 2 feels so bad in retrospect, I love all the wacky nonsense you can get up to in S3. Only complaint I have so far is that Gangplank, MF, and Thresh might be overtuned (the last two especially) and Chronos as a whole are probably just too strong. But man, it's so much fun to try and build the perfect Mech Pilots team, or go for lower cost carries like Syndra. Good shit, Riot.

On the mobile front, the new interface works well, though the old "what the hell is this carousel thing what do these units do" problem remains.

And sadly it's not iPad optimized yet but even as a scaled-up iPad app it works well! :D

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Now that it's on iPad, I'll give it a try.

What are the major differences with Dota Underlords (that's where I come from)?`

EDIT : played the tutorial and I think I'm already done. Really disappointed that there's no proper iPad version, playing a zoomed in phone version makes the UI horrible and claustrophobic.
It also lacks a few user-friendly features that made Underlords easier to play, like the shop really highlighting alliances/possible hero level ups. Portraits instead of actual in-game models also make it hard for someone who doesn't know LoL characters. I just had a hard time accessing information I needed in just a few seconds.
Was looking forward to playing it so that's a bummer :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017

What are the major differences with Dota Underlords (that's where I come from)?`

EDIT : played the tutorial and I think I'm already done. Really disappointed that there's no proper iPad version, playing a zoomed in phone version makes the UI horrible and claustrophobic.
It also lacks a few user-friendly features that made Underlords easier to play, like the shop really highlighting alliances/possible hero level ups. Portraits instead of actual in-game models also make it hard for someone who doesn't know LoL characters. I just had a hard time accessing information I needed in just a few seconds.

You can pick up on the heroes relatively fast. Don't give up yet!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

They actually tried to swap to in-game models for the buy icons but people threw a fit, lol. I'd agree it'd be much better for people unfamiliar with LoL - and even for people who are, these are all skins. I certainly know I wasn't familiar with 'em all at first and I probably have hundreds of hours in League at this point.

The UI being bad on tablet is a bummer, but I'd encourage you to try and stick with it a while. You'll figure out the rest soon enough.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I admit I've been a bit harsh because of the UI problems due to the lack of a proper tablet version, I'll give it another try.
But yeah it made it kinda hard to play and follow.

The UI is easily the worst part of the game. Especially now, I have a hard time figuring out what's what. But you'll learn. Once you do, I think this is the best of them.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The highlighting potential alliances and upgrades in underlords is super useful, would help if they did that better here.

Still my favourite autochoss though. I don't understand why its not iPad optimised but I guess they were in a rush? bit odd.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i just played my first match. i had heard of auto chess a while back but never gave it much thought. i just saw it in the android app store today and downloaded it but couldn't remember my Riot details so just played it on PC (didn't even know the game was already installed lol).

i can see myself getting hooked on this but i have no idea WTF i'm doing. i'm getting absolutely destroyed.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
the on ramp for TFT has always been garbage. Only reason I stuck with it was that I was watching streamers 24/7, Hafu, Dog and Scarra primarily that told me what to do.
And I played all the previous auto chess at that point already. The UI is really bad at telling you what's what so you gotta work mostly of memory.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this for a week or so and I've been struggling just to remember what each unit is/synergizes with (didn't realize there was a big update this week so when I was finally getting the hang of things the update dropped and I had to start all over lol). Haven't played League so I'm still trying to learn names lol

I got second in one of my games just throwing shit out there and only trying to create team synergies (no thought to what items go where lmao), I couldn't even touch the person who eventually won, but it feels nice lucking into that.

Is all the stuff in the OP viable for this current season? It answers a lot of the questions I had. I know the unit cheat sheet isn't, but more like the strategies and items.