• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
How often do you cycle out your starting units, even if they're 2 star? I think I am just hanging on to my early units too much

Here's my ending screen for a game I just played, you can kinda see what I had.
v2jDSwJ.jpg
It looks like you had a fine team comp there, hard to say why you lost without even more info. It looks like there were a few others that also went partial Wild comps above you and they probably absorbed more some of your potential. My understanding is that there are a limited number of each champion in the game and that everyone is drawing from that pool. So if you have three or four people going Wild, it makes it less likely to draw those champs in your refreshes.

I also find that the most useful thing for low-level 3-stars is to not actually put items on them. You want to save items for your Gnar or Aurelion Sol or Morgana/Lulu. I tend to put items on champs I intend to sell early on in the game and then transfer them over to the higher star champs as I get them. Like I might have a Rage Blade on Kass early, but I would sell Kass once I started losing and move that to Lulu or even Gnar.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It looks like you had a fine team comp there, hard to say why you lost without even more info. It looks like there were a few others that also went partial Wild comps above you and they probably absorbed more some of your potential. My understanding is that there are a limited number of each champion in the game and that everyone is drawing from that pool. So if you have three or four people going Wild, it makes it less likely to draw those champs in your refreshes.

I also find that the most useful thing for low-level 3-stars is to not actually put items on them. You want to save items for your Gnar or Aurelion Sol or Morgana/Lulu. I tend to put items on champs I intend to sell early on in the game and then transfer them over to the higher star champs as I get them. Like I might have a Rage Blade on Kass early, but I would sell Kass once I started losing and move that to Lulu or even Gnar.

Yeah, that sounds a bit right in regards to what other people are choosing. I have started doing that with the items though, and found it helped.

I did just have a good game where I went full sorcerer, got 6 on my board and went on a massive win streak after almost losing at 6th or 7th. I did unfortunately place 4th, but it was pretty close.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
i actually hope riot doesn't dilute the champion pool too much in TFT

it's nice being able to 3-star most units and helps keep the aggression up compared to other auto chess games

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I got Ashe with Spear of Shojin + Ranger bonus + Glacial
She became a nightmare <3
It would be perfect if I was able to build more attack spead ...
I don't know what happened in the final match but she disappeared after I got one more champ while full
If the board is completely occupied I recommend not picking up a champion from the selection screen.

You are absolutely right, I was trying too hard to use the same strategy

Shen + Guardian buff + Glacial worked great. The last guy had nidale lvl 3 + really big ranged attack, she just stayed in the corner attacking wtf.
I lost 3 times in a row
When I got Anvia lvl 2 and Glacial (4) I was finally able to beat him.
It is cool realizing that no matter how powerful your enemy is if he cant hit you. Shen's ultimate works so perfectly in these moments
disarm + silence + attack speed item on a gunslinger/blademaster for some damaging disabling fun

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my second first place with some assassins, what a fun comp it's just insane how fast the rounds are.
CjloTkN.png

Felt good cause the second place was some dipshit that kept going "OH" "OH" "YOU SUCK NOOB" or some shit in chat after EVERY SINGLE ROUND since he didn't start losing until the end.

Was diluted assassin's at that but I mean, 3 star draven and kat was too good not to kind of rotate to, and chogath was just a last second pickup to tank alongside the kassadin for the last 2 rounds.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i avoid going assassins with a passion and i probably will always do so.

the moment you see someone go elementalist or protect the twitch comps get red buff item on 2 units or 1 and a vayne tho vayne attacks too dam slow. still saddens me how useless Morde is outside of him trigger phantom buff

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i want to rank the top 5 weakest units in terms of usefulness at current values
  1. Fiora
  2. Kat
  3. Morde
  4. Shyv
  5. Reksai

just had my favorite thing happen that's been happening a lot in 9.13
bugsplat during round
then bugsplat sending the 1st bugsplat

seriously pyke's stun shouldn't be 3 hex wide

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If there is one thing I'd like them to change is to make item drops work like in Underlords. Right now it's too random; for example, last time I only won because in the chicken round (or whatever that monster that becomes stronger is called) the enemies dropped 2 spatula, so basically I got a free unit, which allowed me to finish my 6 nobles + 2 rangers combo. On the other hand, sometimes the enemy monsters will drop literally nothing, which is quite bs.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
The patch on PBE right now is awesome. They listened and got rid of XP from mystery boxes and fixed a lot of things. Can't wait to see how it plays out when the patch is out.

Patch 9.14 Patch Notes

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
Patch notes are up:

Some pretty meaningful changes if you played a ton, specifically regarding PVE rounds, XP rolling mechanics, popular & unpopular traits, and items. Far more champs buffed than nerfed, andI'm super excited to see how Twisted Fate makes building pirate & sorcerer more accessible in early game.

Looks great. I'm not sure the gold change for items is enough, but I'll give it a shot. Other changes all make sense.

Edit: Added a threadmark for those patch notes.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, lots of bugs I hadn't noticed. Wonder if they were prominent enough on their Champs that it seriously effected their performance?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned anything about letting us use champion skins for those that are in the mode?

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
So, there will be unit rotation or they will just be adding stuff? (I feel like adding more units will just make the game more complex)

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
So, there will be unit rotation or they will just be adding stuff? (I feel like adding more units will just make the game more complex)

I'd think at some point they'll need to make certain units randomly not show up in a game. More champions definitely hurts the competitive gameplay as you can't counter pick as effectively when there are two or even three options to fill a last slot instead of just one.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's been said that they'll be rotating out units and even entire synergies as time goes on. Too many units and you'll never be able to build anything coherent, let alone counter build.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It would be nice to have a way to check which quests you have available during a match. I always forget to check before.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just had the most disgusting team comp I've ever seen in TFT. I was winning every round at the end of the game with 7 or 8 champs still alive. I think I knocked out 5 people on my own.
t0TNA1d.png

For those counting, that is (6) Nobles, (4) Knights, (2) Guardians, (2) Rangers, and (2) Glacials. I also had two Lockets on the Guardians in the center of my comp.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've had some decent fun and even got first once, but I agree the randomness can feel too unforgiving at times. I've rolled literally 5 times in a row and still didn't get any beneficial unit. I have no idea how some people get three star units by the second stage sometimes. And more info for the player would be nice. Like what each class does without me having to purchase it.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some decent fun and even got first once, but I agree the randomness can feel too unforgiving at times. I've rolled literally 5 times in a row and still didn't get any beneficial unit. I have no idea how some people get three star units by the second stage sometimes. And more info for the player would be nice. Like what each class does without me having to purchase it.

That's why you have to take care of your economy and not bother with this early on.
I only start rerolling when I'm at 50 gold and then I only reroll down to 50. This makes for awkward early games, but when I get it, I start at a steady 3-4 rerolls per round, which usually gets me what I am looking for.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
That's why you have to take care of your economy and not bother with this early on.
I only start rerolling when I'm at 50 gold and then I only reroll down to 50. This makes for awkward early games, but when I get it, I start at a steady 3-4 rerolls per round, which usually gets me what I am looking for.

Yeah the alternative is to reroll hard early and steamroll everyone. Both work but playing the economy seems better.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah it was late game when it happened. I rarely reroll before level 6. It's only level 8 when I got that frugal since 9 was the max and you usually get a ton of money by then.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
i personally value health above everything else

i'm not afraid to blow some econ to maintain a strong team and health lead early. TFT is ridiculously aggressive compared to other auto chess games. 30 is the new 50 yo

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I have been getting better, but still no wins yet. I've gotten two 2nd place finishes, and a few more 3rd place. I was forcing probably non-optimal team comps to get weekly mission points, and still placing 3rd - 5th.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
learning how to save gold is a huge boon to one's gameplay and will probably comfortably get you to whatever the bishop or rook equivalent is i'd say

learning how and when to spend gold is what will separate the rooks and the queens when ranked comes out

For sure, I really need to start focusing on other players builds and making the right pivots to win. Consistent top 3 feels good but I want those W's

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
I went for the 6 yordles and it was a lot of fun, first place for second time. I feel I was some lucky with the item drop and champion roll so I did a lv 3 champ in the first rounds. It's like luck has too much weight in this mode...
Anyway I play most for fun and try exotic combinations, so I don't think I will go very well in ranked...

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else using the Blitz App to track your stats? Once ranked comes out tmrw, will there be an official tracker or are we going to need to keep using it?

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
When is the patch coming? I see people playing on the test server and I'm like "ooh, I want that"
-
Oh, apparently right now. lol
-
Top 4 to win points seem fair.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, I really need to start focusing on other players builds and making the right pivots to win. Consistent top 3 feels good but I want those W's
It was funny, I played a game last night where I was cruising early and crushed this person in last place, put them down to 18 hp. Their comp made no sense, they had almost nothing put together. I play against them again a few rounds later and they have a fully built out Elementalist + Sorceror comp with decent economy and items.

They knocked me out fully later on because I couldn't find a Gnar to round out my Yordle comp to save myself, they were still at 18 hp.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm reminded why I stopped playing League. This client is fucking garbage. First three placement games glitched out with "game still in progress." bug or whatever.

Great start to ranked.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
To borrow a turn of phrase from Magic, the only point of health that counts is the last.