• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Cursed blade gunslinger comps are still insane according to those patch notes. Hopefully bigger nerfs come 9.15

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Cursed blade gunslinger comps are still insane according to those patch notes. Hopefully bigger nerfs come 9.15

there are tons of 'insane' comps. The worry is that that the meta gets saturated with 'broken' comps (voli+akali).

now that they've both been nerfed things might be pretty balanced. I'd say there are still like 5 OP comps to go with.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
there are tons of 'insane' comps. The worry is that that the meta gets saturated with 'broken' comps (voli+akali).

now that they've both been nerfed things might be pretty balanced. I'd say there are still like 5 OP comps to go with.

Gunslinger is prob the most insane. People at high elo hyper roll, they don't level up and by the time they are level 6, they have at least 1 or 2 3 star units. Since pirate gunslingers are not very good early on, they are also losing their matches which gives them access to the carousel.

4 gunslinger
3 pirate
3 blademaster

This is the build most people tend to run making tristana a blademaster and putting curse blade on her; she attacks so many targets, the proc rate of cursed blade doesn't really matter

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Raptors will now always properly drop a loot box.
The Guardian trait no longer fades when a guardian dies.
Redemption will now properly heal 1000HP.
Guardian Angel will now trigger in all cases.

I play enough to have seen these a lot. Redemption working properly is actually a huge buff.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Gunslinger is prob the most insane. People at high elo hyper roll, they don't level up and by the time they are level 6, they have at least 1 or 2 3 star units. Since pirate gunslingers are not very good early on, they are also losing their matches which gives them access to the carousel.

4 gunslinger
3 pirate
3 blademaster

This is the build most people tend to run making tristana a blademaster and putting curse blade on her; she attacks so many targets, the proc rate of cursed blade doesn't really matter

Sins/Ninjas or Glacial is usually the answer. I wonder how much Sins have really been nerfed

I play enough to have seen these a lot. Redemption working properly is actually a huge buff.

How so? Before it would heal to full health because it was 1000%. Now it will barely heal some 3stars for half health.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite comp of the 6 yordles + morgana just got buffed quite a bit and it was already strong against stuff that is getting nerfed today (assassins and volibear), but precisely because of that, people might start playing other compositions that are good against yordles.

I wonder if wild + shapeshifter is a thing now. It seems like it should be with two characters being wild and shapeshifters, but wild was just not good enough to be worth it.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite comp of the 6 yordles + morgana just got buffed quite a bit and it was already strong against stuff that is getting nerfed today (assassins and volibear), but precisely because of that, people might start playing other compositions that are good against yordles.

I wonder if wild + shapeshifter is a thing now. It seems like it should be with two characters being wild and shapeshifters, but wild was just not good enough to be worth it.

Shapeshifters was definitely already a thing. A stacked Shiv that is allowed to transform is immortal.

Yordles biggest weakness is Demons and RFC (and the above mentioned Shiv actually). It's all about how the game balances itself around the rock paper scissors construct.

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
good patch, glad to see the incremental number changes in the off-weeks

should be fun seeing the cool stuff they add next week for the number patch

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What's the counter to an assassin comp?

In addition to the other suggestions on comps and items, don't forget positioning. I feel like a ton of people (at my ELO at least) don't bother mixing up their positioning.

I beat a 6 stack of assassins last week by just flipping my whole team backwards and "frontlining" with my ranged DPS with my tanky boys in the "backline." Assassins all jumped in the back, and I got exactly the fight I wanted.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Shapeshifters was definitely already a thing. A stacked Shiv that is allowed to transform is immortal.

Yordles biggest weakness is Demons and RFC (and the above mentioned Shiv actually). It's all about how the game balances itself around the rock paper scissors construct.

Yeah, shapeshifters are good with either demons or elementalsl, but there's this natural synergy with wild that didn't pan out because wild sucks. Or maybe not anymore.

Dyscord

Oct 27, 2017
How do you ping the question mark? I know you can ping the exclamation point with ctrl + left click but I can't figure out the question mark.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Got 2nd on my first game tonight. It was really close between me and the last person, we each took a few off each other back and forth but I had lower starting health and lost.

I had a full Yordle comp so I think the variability just came down to the probability on the dodges and he managed to get my Kennen before I had a good ult.

Promoted me to Silver III 78 LP though!
How do you ping the question mark? I know you can ping the exclamation point with ctrl + left click but I can't figure out the question mark.
G + Left Click

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Been on a losing streak since reaching diamond. Competition obviously tougher. No time for econ. By the time I reach 50 gold, already at 20 life or less.
Will have to rethink how I play completely.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Been on a losing streak since reaching diamond. Competition obviously tougher. No time for econ. By the time I reach 50 gold, already at 20 life or less.

lol, this is where I'm at. The mad spending needed for this meta is insane. Don't think, just spend!

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
been having some success just staying at level 5 for as long as possible and trying to get 3 buffs going at best

Double Rabadon Blitcrank is hilarious. Toss on a Spear for added hilarity!

Think I needed to build Sorcerers, though - full Wild and Brawler synergies were good, but I didn't get the items I needed for Voli carry, and that full Sorc bonus on Blitz would've had him hitting for 4k.
deathcap, staff, 15% mana attack item, just pulling constantly if you can also get his attack speed up a bit

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
it's weird that Riot's version of "low chance" was actually 25% for cursed blade that 5% ain't gonna stop people building multiples to win with almost ease

still not reduced healing from Noble buff while under Red Buff effect

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
3 star trist with rageblade and silence, 3 star WW with silence was slow waking to a 1st place spot...ran into Raid Boss Veigar aka 3 star's with all the mana items and that bitch was rapid firing his ult

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I had a tough night of games last night. Ended with maybe my most frustrating game I've had in the mode.

I picked a Varus w/ Needlessly out of the first carousel and immediately got a second Varus in my first hand, so I was like cool, gonna go Demon + Ranger comp and beef up my Varus. WRONG. I went the whole rest of the game without drawing another Varus. I ended up moving into a Demon + Shapeshifter + Elementalist comp with a 3-star Elise (the only thing I had any luck drawing). I was drawing JUST TWO of everything I needed... Varus, Gnar, A Sol, Shyv, Kennen, Brand, Eve, Morgana... I did eventually get a 2-star Shyv on my last draw, but it was too little too late.

On the second carousel, I went for a Spatula thinking I would have a shot of getting another later for an extra slot. WRONG AGAIN. I go through three more carousels and there are no Spatulas in any of them and the only item drops I got all game were BF Swords, which were mostly useless on my comp that was going to rely on spell power/tank, not autos.

Got knocked out by a guy with a full ass 3-star Varus/Ranger comp, which told me where all the Varus' went.

The synergies on my comp were enough to squeak me in at 4th, but I was pissed. I think I played five games and got 2nd, 4th, 4th, 6th, and 7th.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I had a tough night of games last night. Ended with maybe my most frustrating game I've had in the mode.

I picked a Varus w/ Needlessly out of the first carousel and immediately got a second Varus in my first hand, so I was like cool, gonna go Demon + Ranger comp and beef up my Varus.

aka bait. Such a weird concept in a game like this, but sometimes "it be like that". If you ever have this weird feeling in the back of your head when you make a call that says "Alright, I'll rely heavily on RNG to make this work" then it's usually bait.

Not selling your first 2 star unit from carousel is usually always bait. I think the only time I'd ever stick with it is if I got a Pyke with a tear or something.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
aka bait. Such a weird concept in a game like this, but sometimes "it be like that". If you ever have this weird feeling in the back of your head when you make a call that says "Alright, I'll rely heavily on RNG to make this work" then it's usually bait.

Not selling your first 2 star unit from carousel is usually always bait. I think the only time I'd ever stick with it is if I got a Pyke with a tear or something.
It wasn't that singular bait that pissed me off, it was the subsequent... ten baits or so. But yeah, sometimes it really be like that.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
New best comp right now? https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...d_out_the_souless_comp_for_fun_ended_up_with/

Just played one game with it and was getting kinda screwed with RNG; couldn't level up any of my starting units and didn't see any early Lulus or Morgs so it took a while to get the build online and I was at 11 HP. But when I finally got it, I then breezed to a number one finish.
Might try this when I get home. Hopefully it doesn't pick up too much steam before then.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
That comp only half worked for me. I couldn't pull good early game together at all with it, it only started working when I was down to 10 hp once I had finally gotten a 2-star Aatrox and Lulu. Then I lost to an RFC gunslinger comp and came in 4th.

The second game I went down to 1 hp with a cobbled-together Demon comp and stayed alive long enough to come in 2nd, never drew a Pyke until really late in the game. I had a strong Morgana + Lulu + A Sol combo going and lost to a guy at the end with 100 hp still.

Edit: Actually stomped my next one, got a three item Kennen with Gunblade + Mr/Armor + Morello's, it was disgusting what happened to teams.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
brute forcing locket stacking with sheer attack speed increase on my whole team
trist with zeke rfc, divine
nid with zeke rfc
vs 2 sets of people doing Yordles

got 2nd place b/c someone pivoted into 6 demons including a MF demon

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
So playing around with this Demon stuff and I think Atrox is the key to the whole thing, his items and positioning make or break so many rounds for me.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
I tried that Soulless build... first game was a brick city, couldn't get anything going and ended up finishing last. :|

Second game seems me getting down to 8 HP before the full comp comes online, but it's good and I end up riding it all the way to 2nd, losing to someone who was running a hybrid Yordles comp who had the bench to go full Yordles once I womped him in the first head-to-head.

Third game, early game went more smoothly and this build still wrecks shop, but I run face-first into a big gunslinger/cursed blade comp and eat it, finishing 2nd again.

In short: it's funny to call a build that requires a spatula consistent... but it works.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I got demoted trying this comp, lol.
Had to resort to yordles to climb back up to diamond.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017
I just played what I normally do, picking what's open, and happened into a Soulless build minus the Sorcerer buff (Shapeshifters instead). It was pretty damn strong. At two demons I stopped losing and went on a 14 win streak to take it. I was hitting everyone I beat for over 20.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I just played what I normally do, picking what's open, and happened into a Soulless build minus the Sorcerer buff (Shapeshifters instead). It was pretty damn strong. At two demons I stopped losing and went on a 14 win streak to take it. I was hitting everyone I beat for over 20.

Yeah, the Demon buff is OP. Once you get the 4 Demon buff, it's pretty much GG EZ win.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So playing around with this Demon stuff and I think Atrox is the key to the whole thing, his items and positioning make or break so many rounds for me.
Aatrox is like Morde 9.0 and is the best melee unit in terms of damage, triggering useful buffs

the build i keep trying to do is get a 2 star or 3 star Fiora with demon, disable, shrink (or static shiv) just for her high attack speed

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I had a game last night where the top four were all running 2-star Aatrox comps. Absolutely stupid.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Aatrox needs a heavy nerf. It's like he doesn't belong in the game with his insane damage. He out classes so many champs by an INSANE margin. It's crazy.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
man this draven is glitched as fuck it was getting double attack speed on a single hit with only RFC and rageblade, it was hitting 3.5-4.5 attack speed

RIP TFT, it took me 30 seconds to find a match

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just got into Gold on my last game I can play until the next patch. I came in first but my unstoppable Noble comp ran into an unkillable Shyv that meant I literally fought to a draw 7 rounds in a row, but since I had more surviving each fight due to a Kayle keeping people alive I beat the person in a battle of attrition without ever fully losing a round the whole game.

I even had a Cursed Blade to reduce the 3-star Shyv down, but I couldn't cut through a Warmogs, Thornmail, Hextech Gunblade, and the dragon buff.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting consistent 3rds and 4ths places on diamond IV today and I see I am having strong early and mid-games, but I really stumble when transitioning into final compositions involving either 9 units or lvl 5 characters.

A consistent composition I found today was actually wild(with ahri instead of the assassin)-brawler-shapeshifter where you can have both voli and the dragon lady as powerful carries.
Brawler-wild is one of those synergies that just make sense. Brawler makes your 4 tanks beefier and wild makes everyone attack better, so you have good defense and offense, then you throw in the dragon lady along with the tiger lady and gar (gnar?) and you extra oomph for when the battle is dieing down.

I dunno, it just clicked when I did it. You have people on the front taking damage, people on the back doing damage and then your shapeshifters kicking in with healing, extra damage, stun...