• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
yea... meta is AWFUL atm especially in diamond games

I've never seen so much purple in my life.

Time to take a break or play on a smurf account

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just curious, but for those of you in higher ranks, what is LP loss/gain like? I'm still making my way through the bronze ranks and I gain way more for 4th place than I lose for 5th place.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Plat and I think I gained 8LP for 4th place.

In the higher ranks losing is definitely bad. There's a reason all the top players/streamers make smurf accounts to keep playing w/o hurting their official ranks.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
this is what I think of your meta.
UkdTa0S.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Someday... someday I will get Carry Blitzcrank to work. Taking him every time he pops up on the first carousel with a Rod has to pay off eventually, right?

Maybe if I get 4x Wild going next time, along with the Sorc buff...

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I've won 3 out of my last 4 matches with the Souless comp. I'm guessing it won't be so easy to get at higher ranks, but down here in Silver/Gold, no one really knows what they are doing.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for next patch. Making the game less of a snowball seems a very good direction.
Right now a lot of games is like, trying to die last because there's one or two players who just got very lucky and they're dominating and the game will just end before you can do any late game strategy to counter them because you're losing more than 20 life each loss, so you're hoping other people will die before you to these lucky players.

One of the great things about this game is precisely the feeling that you can always comeback if you just get your comp online and start winning and, right now, that rarely happens because you die too fast.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for next patch. Making the game less of a snowball seems a very good direction.
Right now a lot of games is like, trying to die last because there's one or two players who just got very lucky and they're dominating and the game will just end before you can do any late game strategy to counter them because you're losing more than 20 life each loss, so you're hoping other people will die before you to these lucky players.

One of the great things about this game is precisely the feeling that you can always comeback if you just get your comp online and start winning and, right now, that rarely happens because you die too fast.

pretty much. The way to utilize the strategy of "not dying last" is by forcing the soulless meta. It will usually land you in 2-5th place (see the post screen cap above).

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
got my most satisfying win yet

WTWY0bx.png

Got zero item early, and very damn weak before forcing synergy with 2 spatula item, end up with 6 demon, 3 sorc and elementalist.. making comeback from last place with 30 hp quite early.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
got my most satisfying win yet

WTWY0bx.png

Got zero item early, and very damn weak before forcing synergy with 2 spatula item, end up with 6 demon, 3 sorc and elementalist.. making comeback from last place with 30 hp quite early.

Sick comp. Which heroes did you make demons?

I need to figure out a good comp to pivot to if/when Souless isn't working.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Sick comp. Which heroes did you make demons?

I need to figure out a good comp to pivot to if/when Souless isn't working.
Lulu to Demon.. and Brand into Sorc. Not sure about the last one because I'm in hurry assigning the comp mid turn.

Edit oh crap I think in the end Aviana also a demon

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is it just me or the the teamfight tactics tab at the top next to collection gone? I can still play the game from the play button, but can't see my rank or anything.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond 3.
Celebrating going from diamond 4 to 3 because I think it was harder than going silver, then gold, then plat, then diamond.
Shit is competitive.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond 3.
Celebrating going from diamond 4 to 3 because I think it was harder than going silver, then gold, then plat, then diamond.
Shit is competitive.

grats!

Once you get to diamond assume that everyone you're playing knows the meta, knows how to counter the meta, and is creative enough to come up with shit that might still be viable. It's a warzone.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
9.15 patch notes are out: https://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/patch/teamfight-tactics-patch-915-notes

This week we're giving the defensive Origins and Classes more beef. Knights, Guardians, and Nobles will now form a more solid frontline and/or give their defensive bonuses to your whole team, but beware of the reworked Void monsters looking to rip through your lines with true damage. We're also decreasing the amount of health players lose every round to open up more viable strategies around win and loss streaks. Rounding out the patch: Ninja trait has been reworked, Demons get nerfed, Dragons now care a little bit about magic damage, and Pirates make more money.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Class Breakpoints
We've added new breakpoints to a few Classes. For...reasons, just don't worry about it ok?
Gunslinger 6 ⇒ Gunslingers have a chance to fire 3 additional attacks.
Brawler 6 ⇒ All Brawlers gain 1200 extra HP
Shapeshifter 6 ⇒ Shapeshifters gain 120% Bonus Health on Transform
Blademaster 9 ⇒ Blademasters have a chance to gain 4 extra attacks. (This one is currently possible, good luck)

Oooooh
How many of each is that? An extra Brawler, Gunslinger, and at least one Blademasters?

Wonder who's making the cut. I could see Sivir and Irelia for Blademaster, Urgot would be a fun gunner/brawler, but it m drawing a blank on Shapeshifter.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why reduce the number of units on the carrousel, never even crossed my mind there was a problem there.
Reduced damage and less win/losses required for streaks are great.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
  • Dragon: 100% Magic Immunity ⇒ 83% Magic Immunity
  • Shyvana Armor: 20 ⇒ 30
This is actually a good buff to shy. You can actually use her pre late game now!

• Braum Armor: 25 ⇒ 75
  • Leona Armor: 55 ⇒ 100

what?! lol, is great.

OP
OP
Carthago Delenda Est
Oct 28, 2017

If you're into PBE shenanigans, I strongly recommend checking out how the new Hextech origin units feel alongside the patch changes. Jinx & Vi in particular have some saucy implications to team build paths, as well as what Camille does for blademasters early.

Very cool. Is there no 4/4 bonus? The article is a tad unclear.

Jayce/Vi should slot right into a wild/shapeshifter comp.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

If you're into PBE shenanigans, I strongly recommend checking out how the new Hextech origin units feel alongside the patch changes. Jinx & Vi in particular have some saucy implications to team build paths, as well as what Camille does for blademasters early.
gonna have to have uncombined items just to throw off this hextech ability

Vi not doing damage along the way doesn't seem worth

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Current meta is shiv.
Rengar with shiv. Rangers with shiv. Whatever, just make shivs and put them in there.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Since a week now I can't get above 5th place and I'm only in Bronze, everyone else suddenly seems so much better :/

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Got into Gold II last night with three games, got 6th, 3rd, and 1st.

I even messed up pretty badly in the game I got 1st, accidentally misused TWO spatulas. I meant to get a Force of Nature but wasn't paying attention and made a Hurricane instead and then I decided to put the other Spatula on Shyv to make what I thought was a Knight but was actually an Assassin, so my Shyv was jumping the back line and dying early on. It ended up working out, I got A Sol and Shyv started wrecking. Had a Wild + Sorcerer + Yordle + Dragon + Shapeshifter comp that went on a 10-game win streak to clutch it out.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Post is a bit more ranting than I predicted, sorry in advance:

I don't know if I'm getting tired of the game or not, or if the competition on diamond is tough enogh to now allow experimentation, but the meta is kind of boring right now.
I feel like if I don't go either rangers or some sort of Rengar build, I'll just not make it into the top 4. And even then depends on the items because both comps are dependent on them. (lots of zekes and disables for rangers, and stuff to buff Rengar with).
The other patches had safer builds and some top tier ones, but you could do other stuff.
And I don't think I'm the only one. Last game was 5 rangers/nobles (including me, I got 3rd) with 3 different builds around Rengar.
No demons, no elementalists, no shapeshifters, no yordles and no sorcerers.
Brawlers, ninja, wild and void only as far as they support Rengar.

When the top of the meta was volibear and assassins, I was doing yordles.
Last patch when it was all about demons and gunslingers, I was doing brawlers.
Now every time, no exception, I tried to escape the meta, I just get trampled with no chance straight into 8th place.

I feel like the changes they did to player damage changed very little. You can notice it, but usually when it's too little, too late because by the time you got a response to the flood of rangers, you're at less than 20 life, then you're a victim of the Rengars who just got online and game over.
I don't really know what broke the meta this patch, maybe the player community is "netdecking" too much into a very early very aggressive comp, maybe the nerfs to demons and assassins just opened the floodgates to the things they were countering, but it kind of sucks the joy out of the game to have so little wiggle room to develop your board based on what the game gives you.
If you're always forcing the same few comps to keep up, then the game becomes a RNG-fest where you're hoping the right puzzle pieces will come to you instead of your opponents. And I feel like that's not the game it is supposed to be.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if I'm getting tired of the game or not, or if the competition on diamond is tough enogh to now allow experimentation, but the meta is kind of boring right now.
I feel like if I don't go either rangers or some sort of Rengar build, I'll just not make it into the top 4. And even then depends on the items because both comps are dependent on them. (lots of zekes and disables for rangers, and stuff to buff Rengar with).
The other patches had safer builds and some top tier ones, but you could do other stuff.
And I don't think I'm the only one. Last game was 5 rangers/nobles (including me, I got 3rd) with 3 different builds around Rengar.

Now every time, no exception, I tried to escape the meta, I just get trampled with no chance straight into 8th place.

I feel like the changes they did to player damage changed very little. You can notice it, but usually when it's too little, too late because by the time you got a response to the flood of rangers, you're at less than 20 life, then you're a victim of the Rengars who just got online and game over.
I don't really know what broke the meta this patch, maybe the player community is "netdecking" too much into a very early very aggressive comp, maybe the nerfs to demons and assassins just opened the floodgates to the things they were countering, but it kind of sucks the joy out of the game to have so little wiggle room to develop your board based on what the game gives you.
If you're always forcing the same few comps to keep up, then the game becomes a RNG-fest where you're hoping the right puzzle pieces will come to you instead of your opponents. And I feel like that's not the game it is supposed to be.

You know your post perfectly articulated why the game becomes less and less fun to me, it starts to fall into exactly the same pattern as card-games like Hearthstone and Shadowverse did. A game with "cards" and dependency on RNG shouldn't be about one or two strong things and netdecking and pre-set strategies you already decide on before the game even starts. Everything should be equally strong and viable and the skill and fun should come from making the best and most efficient use what the game gives you and not about what you want to play because you read about it online.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not as high up as you, but I find a variety of comps work in the Gold ELO. I also don't play so much to burn out. A few games a day.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Installed this a couple days ago and I'm hooked. Learning a lot but there's still the occasional thing I can't find an answer to, namely how does the pool of champions work? I just learned that there's only a specific amount of each champion but is that for each player or is it shared among all players? Also does selling a champion add it back to the pool or is it gone forever at that point?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Installed this a couple days ago and I'm hooked. Learning a lot but there's still the occasional thing I can't find an answer to, namely how does the pool of champions work? I just learned that there's only a specific amount of each champion but is that for each player or is it shared among all players? Also does selling a champion add it back to the pool or is it gone forever at that point?

The pool is shared between all players and the champions go back into the pool once sold or the player who possessed them went out-of-play.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
it's definitely up there. It didn't get nerfed in the last patch and hurricane is pretty good on an Ashe.

Is there anything in particular that counters it? It's definitely the comp that gives me the most consistent trouble.

Another random question, do all the items stack? I was just running Tristiana with double Red Buff but then I realized I have no clue if it actually stacks or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is there anything in particular that counters it? It's definitely the comp that gives me the most consistent trouble.

Another random question, do all the items stack? I was just running Tristiana with double Red Buff but then I realized I have no clue if it actually stacks or not.
high damage or yorldes, and to a lesser extent demons
but with the new noble changes maybe nobles is better than them all except damage before proc's

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Just had a super weird thing happen. My Yasuo randomly turned into an assassin with no Ghostblade on him. My opponents kept asking why he was jumping into the backline. No clue why.

Edit: And now an eliminated enemy's Warwick with Frozen Heart bugged out and got stuck on the board right in the middle of my team and applied the debuff to my entire team right from the beginning of the round...

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have myself up to Gold 1 60 LP. Was trying to break into Plat last night but only kind of treaded water through three games (6th, 7th, and then 1st finishes).

There is a feel to this game that really makes sense to me and I really only finish in the bottom half when I go for riskier strategies. It seems to be safer and more consistent to get a bunch of smaller synergies and pull a late game maneuver into a final team comp. I don't do well when I try to force something like a Ninja, Imperial, or Yordle comp fully; if you miss one piece they end up being fairly useless and you don't last long enough to get to the late game.

That's what happened in my lower finishes above. I got 2-star Kennen & Shen with a 3-star Zed, but couldn't roll any Akali for the life of me and got knocked out too fast on one. Then I had a pretty strong Yordle comp, but couldn't get a Gnar to finish it out and I had a lack of other synergies due to all the Yordles.

The only thing you can force early effectively is a Gunslinger comp.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I really wish they would tighten up the onboarding and tutorialization, particularly around item UX.
I've fallen in love with TFT's design and dropped Underlords cold turkey, but it's hard to convince friends to switch over because of how inaccessible the item system is new players.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they would tighten up the onboarding and tutorialization, particularly around item UX.
I've fallen in love with TFT's design and dropped Underlords cold turkey, but it's hard to convince friends to switch over because of how inaccessible the item system is new players.

have you tried introducing them to one of the many toolbar extensions? Overwolf and Blitz are two I'd recommend.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I moved between Gold 2 and Gold 1 almost four times and now I finally broke into Plat 4. If you can get 6 shapeshifters out, whew boy.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
The player damage feels shit right now. I keep playing games where the one lucky high roll win streak player is sitting on 90hp, while everyone else has below 40. Games feel way too short. Before raptors the lower half is always one bad loss from being booted.