• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What could be the reason behind this happening? Could it be that these games were still loading too long on PS5 so they optimized the whole process which benefitted the PS4 version as well?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Any actual verification of this? The Until Dawn stuff that spread like a wildfire was bullshit, so hopefully this one's not.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
ill wait til my guy ElAnalistaDeBits makes a comparison video.

there def is something going on with recently patched games it seems like in ways.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What could be the reason behind this happening? Could it be that these games were still loading too long on PS5 so they optimized the whole process which benefitted the PS4 version as well?

total guess from my ass - Maybe they're patching to replace CPU decompression with GPU decompression which was developed alongside PS5 and made available to the internal teams? It may also help hand off some of that to the PS5 custom silicon for even faster loading - having a fast SSD is good but if you're stuck with eg a single threaded CPU decompression in the middle that can quickly become your critical path and slow things down

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
also yes tearaway unfolded is great. I get a similar vibe from Sackboy Adventure

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
total guess from my ass - Maybe they're patching to replace CPU decompression with GPU decompression which was developed alongside PS5 and made available to the internal teams? It may also help hand off some of that to the PS5 custom silicon for even faster loading - having a fast SSD is good but if you're stuck with eg a single threaded CPU decompression in the middle that can quickly become your critical path and slow things down
I highly doubt. I think just API, system calls and filesystem were greatly optimized.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I remember at the GDC on spiderman press conference they talk a new way for data compression. Could they use that for sony game ?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, uh I just tried this myself, still had tearaway 1.03 on my console and had very opposite results

1.03 load time to get into the game (it jumps right back into the playthrough) was ca. 54 seconds.

1.04 load time was 1:28 minutes

So yeah, it got longer...

Can upload two clips if anyone cares.

Edit: on second look, the tweet in the OP refers to the very first bootup of a new game, which does go relatively fast. Could be that they improved that loading time but not the others

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
tweet.png

seems like a cool guy

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Someone edited gameplay footage of Until Dawn and sliced out the vast majority of a loading screen, then claimed a new update reduced the loading times as had happened with TLOU Remastered. There was in fact no patch released, and it was found to be fake very quickly, but a lot of users here and even some outlets believed it to be genuine.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Someone edited gameplay footage of Until a Dawn and sliced out the vast majority of a loading screen, then claimed a new update reduced the loading times as had happened with TLOU Remastered. There was in fact no patch released, and it was found to be fake very quickly, but a lot of users here and even some outlets believed it to be genuine.
Huh. Never heard about that one.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020

Seems likely to me. I can see them wanting load times for the PS Plus Collection games down to basically nothing on PS5. Without these patches, they'd likely be in line with Xbox Series X. That's not a bad thing! I just think Sony really wants to push their SSD advantage.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a good one: where were they before with these patches if they are possible on PS4?

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever these updates are, if they become more widespread, that is great for the cross gen games like Spider Man and Horizon 2. Sony has something to boast about if they are able to apply it across a lot of the PS4 titles

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I never got around to playing that so this gives me great hope. If I can have basically zero load times between my millions of deaths, I'll be more likely to finish!
That's my real hope. My brain adjusted to the frame pacing pretty fast, and 30FPS (while not ideal) doesn't bother me once I get used to it.

But if that loading can be eliminated? Sweet jesus that will make the game so much better.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone hasn't given Tearaway a look yet please please do. It's one of the most charming games I've ever played and, along with Astrobot, represents the best of Sony first party's work in the sphere of gorgeous wonderful worlds that real nail a sense of childlike wonder.

Like, please go play it. Too few people have.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Is this Sucker Punch's dark magic being piped into other first party Sony games? Ghost of Tsushima's fast travel still freaks me out because it seems like witchcraft.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
This thread made me realize it's time we get Modnation Racers 2.

I know it's not related to Tearaway/MM, but somehow that's what sprang to mind.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
From the point where I was in the game (not a new game, will test it in a while). It was 2:15 from 1.0 to 1:12 after installing 1.04. Will post a video shortly.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
If anyone hasn't given Tearaway a look yet please please do. It's one of the most charming games I've ever played and, along with Astrobot, represents the best of Sony first party's work in the sphere of gorgeous wonderful worlds that real nail a sense of childlike wonder.

Like, please go play it. Too few people have.

Absolutely this.

This game always intrigued me, but I didn't try it until it was out on PS+. It is absolutely worth a buy at full price. So incredibly charming, and so clever and inventive with gameplay. Any time someone downplays or questions adding new features to controllers like gyro, touchpad, etc., my first thought is "you need to play Tearaway". It should make anyone a believer, and makes me desperately want more developers to explore new uses of these features like Media Molecule does.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So are these just SDK changes that need the updated SDK merged into each game's project? I can't imagine they were doing much bespoke code for a port of a Vita game, as much as I love the game.

From the point where I was in the game (not a new game, will test it in a while). It was 2:15 from 1.0 to 1:12 after installing 1.04. Will post a video shortly.

So it's twice as fast. Huh.