• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i think it's Modern Warfare 4 though, the voice actor for Ghost, Craig Fairbrass accidentally posted on his twitter profile, MW 1/2/3/4 before deleting 4. This was some time ago though.

They have probably worked on the game for a while.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The rumour a while back was MW4 so I imagine it's that. Making a sequel to Ghosts would have been crazy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Boo, I wish it were a sequel to Ghosts. It got a bad rep at release for being too similar to other CoDs, but it's a damn solid one, and I really liked the story. Bums me out that we probably won't get a continuation from the game's cliffhanger.

Regardless, I enjoyed Ghosts and what I played of Infinite Warfare, so I'm looking forward to this.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
CoD: Spooky Warfare pls.

My one request for MW4 is they bring back the Spec Ops mode. Those co-op mini-missions were fantastic, and it's a shame they never built on them.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
CoD: Spooky Warfare pls.

My one request for MW4 is they bring back the Spec Ops mode. Those co-op mini-missions were fantastic, and it's a shame they never built on them.

Oh yes please. MW3 was the peak of the series in terms of co-op content for me. Survival was so much fun. I wish they'd bring it back with 4 players support and dedicated Survival maps (instead of reusing the MP maps).

I also hope they'll remaster some of MW2 maps for COD 2019 MP since the supposed MW2 remaster is SP only, according to rumors.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I just hope they don't abandon the design/balance principles that made their last game's MP fun. Namely lots of player freedom when creating classes and choosing playstyles. I'm trying to get down with Black Ops IIII's multi, but it's really hard when my favorite weapon classes (pistols and shotguns) have been gimped because they're secondaries. Back in Black Ops 2, with the introduction of pick 10, pistols were very strong because (paraphrasing) "if you have to spend a point on it, it had better be worth it". Primaries and secondaries cost the same to equip, yet secondaries are insanely weaker. The RK7 is straight up a gun you pick when you want to lose every gunfight, even when you come in with an advantage.

In Infinite Warfare, I felt able to do well with any weapon (speaking as someone who got gold with all weapons. I even topped a few games using the Howitzer), and aside from a few brief blemishes during the game's lifespan (the week and a half or so that the VPR was a god gun), the general feeling from the community was that the weapons were balanced. Sure there were 'annoying' weapons, like the akimbo models, but they were just that. Annoying, not unbalanced. Now some people want ARs or SMGs to be clearly stronger than any other weapon class, and feel that that's true balance (see CoD4, BO1), but those people can stuff it.

Anyway, I just hope IW doesn't lose sight of the fun in their last game. It gives it a hell of a lot more longevity when you can get really creative and thoughtful with your classes and find success, whereas I'm already getting bored with BO4's predictable good loadouts and unviable creative loadouts, and I've only had the game for a week and change (plus the beta).

By the way Treyarch, I find this image to be an insult when you can't even dual-wield Strifes anywhere in the actual game

ruin-black-ops-pose-blackout.jpg

Why'd you guys have to go and become so lame?

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost certainly going to be Modern Warfare 4, with a remake (that is labeled a remaster even though it's an obsessively faithful from-the-ground-up remake) of Modern Warfare 2 accompanying it. The signs have been there for a while.

Ghosts was basically Modern Warfare 4 in all but name. It had a delicious BIG GUY villain. It had a cool dog name Riley. It featured an awesome train. An awesome exploding space station. Operation Clockwork. But ultimately I think we don't need Ghosts 2. We wanted a sequel to Modern Warfare 2 and we got Modern Warfare 3. I mean, think about it. I know that's kinda ironic considering we're almost certainly getting Modern Warfare 4. (Also, Infinite Warfare recycled a lot of ideas from Ghosts.)

I can't help but feel vaguely irritable about Modern Warfare coming back. Modern Warfare was the game that essentially wrecked Call of Duty's reputation by diluting its somewhat balanced and cheerful and appreciative player base with a huge wave of tens of millions of console players+MP-oriented fans. It's the nightmare scenario for a PC game series that is SP+MP. Within a single game Call of Duty went from being a respected singleplayer story-driven series that blew people away with its amazing campaigns to be looked down upon as a mindless PvP shooter full of 10 year olds. Also, the series' PC heritage was very quickly erased, in part because the new Call of Duty audience had no knowledge of the series predating CoD4, kinda like how most Far Cry fans don't give a shit about any Far Cry before Far Cry 3. Before you knew it you had PC gamers mocking the Call of Duty series. Deriding it as "console trash" and all that toxic nonsense.

I eagerly await Modern Warfare 4's campaign, but I miss the days when Call of Duty wasn't dominated by a really toxic MP fanbase responsible for possibly the pettiest youtube downvote campaigns in history. Back in the CoD1/CoD2 days things were lovely. Everyone got along. The new Call of Duty was welcomed with bright eyed interest, and not a mixture of sugar coated hype clashing against "I hate everything" cynicism. I kinda feel like the games spiking from a few million copies being sold per title to 20-30 million copies sold per game completely destroyed the series' ability to have a meaningful fanbase. Its fanbase became the masses. It became a mass market product so pervasive that its entire creative direction became hostage to an angry mob.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'd buy a MW4 with a MW2 remaster. I probably wouldn't buy Infinite Warfare 2, or a COD that is zombies/MP only again since i have blops4 for blackout and MP.

Either way I probably won't preorder/buy at launch, BO4 went on discount fairly quickly this year and while i don't mind that -- I've really enjoyed blackout and MP -- a SP focused game doesn't really have any strong urge to pay MSRP.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a MW2 remaster but at the same time I sorry Activision will fill it with microtransactions and ruin the experience like they did with MW. Why can't they just update the graphics, tweak a few things (commando pro, Noob tubes) and be done with it? I'd buy that game full price...

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people asking for MW4, are the same Infinity Ward creatives even there anymore?
Because they care about the characters of Modern Warfare. The original Modern Warfare team left to form Respawn, hence Titanfall. The current Infinity Ward, which was rebuilt after the old team split, merged Neversoft, and hired Naughty Dog senior designers and a bunch of other stuff, was responsible for Infinite Warfare, which is in the opinion of myself any many others, one of the best singleplayer FPS campaigns in recent years. I think a lot of people would be happy with either Modern Warfare 4 or Infinite Warfare 2. (I would like Ghosts 2, but I just love Rorke.) Modern Warfare 4 is the safer bet. Huge nostalgia value. People want another adventure with those characters.

(To clarify a point, the reason a lot of people want Modern Warfare 4 over Ghosts 2 despite the fact the multiplayer for such a game would be nigh identical is that they prefer the universe and characters of Modern Warfare over Ghosts.)

Some Respawn people have gone back an forth between Nu-Infinity Ward. But this has been happening for years.

They may make Infinite Warfare 2 in few years, but they're likely trying to spread CoD among time periods year-on-year. Historical, modern day, future. If they can cycle enough they can at least try to ward off people getting pissy about "muh boots on the ground" and "WWII is boring" literally months apart.

Dessart

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be Modern Warfare 4. That way they can easily pitch a new battle royale mode featuring all your favorite characters, weapons and locations from the Modern Warfare franchise.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Because they care about the characters of Modern Warfare. The original Modern Warfare team left to form Respawn, hence Titanfall. The current Infinity Ward, which was rebuilt after the old team split, merged Neversoft, and hired Naughty Dog senior designers and a bunch of other stuff, was responsible for Infinite Warfare, which is in the opinion of myself any many others, one of the best singleplayer FPS campaigns in recent years. I think a lot of people would be happy with either Modern Warfare 4 or Infinite Warfare 2. (I would like Ghosts 2, but I just love Rorke.) Modern Warfare 4 is the safer bet. Huge nostalgia value. People want another adventure with those characters.

Some Respawn people have gone back an forth between Nu-Infinity Ward. But this has been happening for years.

They may make Infinite Warfare 2 in few years, but they're likely trying to spread CoD among time periods year-on-year. Historical, modern day, future. If they can cycle enough they can at least try to ward off people getting pissy about "muh boots on the ground" and "WWII is boring" literally months apart.

Infinite Warfare campaign was god tier for a call of duty

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly hoping its MW4(about guaranteed) but instead of continuing from MW3 that its a prequel set between the Pripyat mission(1996) and COD4(2011)

For Multiplayer I expect and want an MW2 reskin with OMA and such patched out or fixed.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably MW4, Ghost is universally disdained.
I disagree. Ghosts was a game that has some flaws, has a plot full of holes propped up by a charismatic villain, but it's basically Modern Warfare: Greatest Hits. With multiplayer cut from the same cloth. (And a really good side mode by Raven.) Ghosts copped a huge amount of shit because the bitterness of the Call of Duty fanbase began to overflow after Modern Warfare 3. "Boo hoo, I'm sick of games with a modern warfare setting." Ghosts became a scapegoat, but I don't think being called Modern Warfare 4 would have changed anything. Activision had Advanced Warfare which was a change of pace (and a great game), and then Black Ops III, and that was all it took for players to begin bitching again, "Boo, hoo, I'm sick of futuristic FPS games." Then WWII was released and... wow, the fanbase is already bitter about how much they hate WWII games and want the series to go back to modern warfare again.

If Ghosts had been released in 2019 instead of 2013 its reception would have been veeeery different. It's no different to people shitting on Infinite Warfare simply because the game was released in 2016 and they were pissy about "muh boots on the ground, muh series roots". If Infinite Warfare were released this year instead of 2016 it wouldn't face a fraction of the hate because people wouldn't have a bee in their bonnet about science fiction FPS games. The Call of Duty fanbase have grown increasingly brittle and discontented. They want everything to stay the same. They want everything to change. They want to go back in time and be 10 year olds screaming on Xbox Live again. The series has never been in a healthy place since it reached the stratospheric sales figures of Modern Warfare 2/3.

100% it's gonna be Modern Warfare 4, though, on that point you are right.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I disagree. Ghosts was a game that has some flaws, has a plot full of holes propped up by a charismatic villain, but it's basically Modern Warfare: Greatest Hits. With multiplayer cut from the same cloth. (And a really good side mode by Raven.) Ghosts copped a huge amount of shit because the bitterness of the Call of Duty fanbase began to overflow after Modern Warfare 3. "Boo hoo, I'm sick of games with a modern warfare setting." Ghosts became a scapegoat, but I don't think being called Modern Warfare 4 would have changed anything. Activision had Advanced Warfare which was a change of pace (and a great game), and then Black Ops III, and that was all it took for players to begin bitching again, "Boo, hoo, I'm sick of futuristic FPS games." Then WWII was released and... wow, the fanbase is already bitter about how much they hate WWII games and want the series to go back to modern warfare again.

If Ghosts had been released in 2019 instead of 2013 its reception would have been veeeery different. It's no different to people shitting on Infinite Warfare simply because the game was released in 2016 and they were pissy about "muh boots on the ground, muh series roots". If Infinite Warfare were released this year instead of 2016 it wouldn't face a fraction of the hate because people wouldn't have a bee in their bonnet about science fiction FPS games. The Call of Duty fanbase have grown increasingly brittle and discontented. They want everything to stay the same. They want everything to change. They want to go back in time and be 10 year olds screaming on Xbox Live again. The series has never been in a healthy place since it reached the stratospheric sales figures of Modern Warfare 2/3.

100% it's gonna be Modern Warfare 4, though, on that point you are right.
Ghost has lots of legitimate problems that ruin it, one major being the horrible map design the game had which was criticized as basically by everyone in the community. Every map in all the previous cods while not perfect where designed to be incredibly linear due to the fact that you can die so quickly. Problem with Ghost is lots of the maps have no cohesion and just make little sense so players end up dying from things that where impossible to predict or counter.The leveling system was needlessly complicated to I guess make the game seem like a big jump. It also just lacked the vision and charisma the games before it had, like I still remember the intro of a match when playing as army rangers in MW 2 but can remember anything from Ghost. One last thing, the campaign is probably the worst CoD campaign by a country mile which I'm sure played into the overall reception of the game.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Damn, I was kinda hoping it WOULD be ghost 2. That post apocalyptic setting was really cool, and would've loved to see that explored a bit more.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's Ghosts 2 I'd be pretty meh about it. I literally remember nothing of the MP and a handful of things about the SP (and nothing significant at that) I'd be hyped for MW4

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man I know it's MW4 but considering the SDF did use skulls in some of their propaganda posters I was sort of hoping maybe... just maybe IW2.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One last thing, the campaign is probably the worst CoD campaign by a country mile which I'm sure played into the overall reception of the game.
Flat-out disgree with this point. Ghosts has weak writing and world building, but a VERY compelling antagonist and striking aesthetic. It also has some exceptional set pieces. The train, for instance. The game's opening sequence in space is so good Infinite Warfare straight up recycled it for its most climactic scene. Also rapelling down the skyscraper, swimming with sharks, the incredible dam burst sequence, and the exceptionally executed Clockwork infiltration mission combine to create a rollercoaster campaign that weaves together the best bits of previous MW games -- while avoiding some oF MW3's empty spectacle tedium, and pairs it with scenes stolen from popular action movies to create a tasty, competently executed stew. It's like The Force Awakens of CoD games.

Black Ops 3 is by far the worst Call of Duty campaign. Its. catastrophically low completion rates compared to the other ganes are testament to that. Not just because it's terribly written but because the pacing is screwy as hell. Ghosts is a tightly paced game that feels heavily influenced by Homefront in that it knows when to end. Black Ops 3 is basically twice as long and each painful minute is filled with tedious combat against waves of robots.

Edit: I think some people hate Ghosts because Rorke is almost supernatural. He's impossibly strong and shrugs off bullets to the chest. He's unstoppable and all your efforts were for nothing. He's the darkness that made the Ghosts legendary. You lose at the end of the game. As we saw with Far Cry 5, endings that shit on the player with this kind of sadistic glee can be enough to make some players despise a game.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really hope there's a campaign this year. Not having my CODathon in the fall really sucked.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
One last thing, the campaign is probably the worst CoD campaign by a country mile which I'm sure played into the overall reception of the game.

Nah, Ghosts had problems but BO3 campaign is still the worst by a country mile, actually scratch that, worst by multiple continents.