• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

NX9FrdK.png

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Crazy how the game is supposed be coming out this year and we haven't seen a single second of it. Wonder why they decided to not show it off at E3.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man how fucking hard is it to copy the zaniness of MW2005 with modern visuals and a bigger open world?

Just COPY IT.

Make it SILLY not CRINGEY.

FIVE GRAAAAAND.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm probably asking for a bit much here, but I'm really hoping they make some much needed tweaks to the handling and physics. I'm not exactly expecting Forza Horizon level handling and physics, but some kind of improvement would be nice.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Man how fucking hard is it to copy the zaniness of MW2005 with modern visuals and a bigger open world?

Just COPY IT.

Make it SILLY not CRINGEY.

FIVE GRAAAAAND.
I'm playing Burnout Paradise for the first time right now and wondering why EA can't just give the game to Ghost and tell them to mod in some licensed vehicles and customization.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm dying for a good, arcadey racer, but the series' trajectory and EA's whole... situation this gen leaves me more afraid than excited.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
EA hoping for the shorter hype cycle thinking it is going to make a world of difference.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know I'm probably asking for a bit much here, but I'm really hoping they make some much needed tweaks to the handling and physics. I'm not exactly expecting Forza Horizon level handling and physics, but some kind of improvement would be nice.
What I don't like in all newer NFS games is the handling. It just doesn't feel like a car cornering. It feels more like a metal brick lying on a plate and being shoved around by a magnet that you're moving along underneath the plate. It doesn't feel satisfying in any way.

I wish we would get a new age of arcade racers. But that's too much asking for.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Burnout Paradise for the first time right now and wondering why EA can't just give the game to Ghost and tell them to mod in some licensed vehicles and customization.

I've had the same dream, but car makers won't play nice with having their vehicles crumpled like cans in a mainstream videogame.

I know, it's stupid.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon is eating their lunch hard, so I hope they embrace the stupidity and go apeshit with the police chases, the tuning and the corny storyline instead. Need For Speed was best when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I really hope they go back to the series' roots. No more open-world. Just a set of linear tracks in unique and exotic locales. NFS3-5 were amazing in that regard.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
In a way I love that NFS is always trying something different, even if it doesn't work. It tries to be all things to all people, and will rotate through different styles and approaches from game to game. People seem to bash on it because often they miss the mark, but what other racing series has gone through car & driver exotic worship, street racing sub culture, pro circuit career racing, cops and robbers, road trip adventure, and action heist backwards and forwards?

The handling may have gotten too easy and the mtx in the last one was a hindrance, but I'm glad NFS still exists in a world where most other arcade racers are dead and buried. Especially as PS gamer who doesn't have access to Forza Horizon. I hope the next one will focus on exotics in closed circuits once again.

NFS2 was my first NFS game, and I will always remember the menu music... as it kid there was just something so classy about it, especially as I scrolled through the selection of beautiful exotic cars that were once just posters on my wall.

Hated the map management and checkered grid roads of Paradise, plus the fact that way too many of the races eventually had me going through the same roads over and over, rather than any kind of well designed circuit route. That said, the handling is brilliant, maybe the the best handling ever in an arcade racer, the cars just feel so good to drive, every single of one of them. Love all their designs too, which pay homage to real cars with a cartoony bent. Damage modeling is a joy to behold, sad it seems we haven't really evolved past it (BeamNG physics need to be in proper racers).

Still, Burnout is dead and NFS is the closest we have. Dangerous Driving just didn't quite recapture the magic, thanks to its budget constraints.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Will keep an eye on this but I really have no idea what they can do to excite people into buying another NFS game.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Prepared for the same reaction I always have these days. Underwhelmed, and a reinstall of Hot Pursuit to give me that NFS fix instead.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked NFS 2015 but payback somehow felt worse. I don't know how playground games get the Forza horizon games feeling so perfect, makes me wanna do some Voodoo magic to resurrect criterion

Oct 30, 2017
While in the minority, I enjoyed NFS2015 but really wish they'd take a few years (I know Payback came out a while ago) and make a FH clone but more tuner focused. I'd play it.

Though I'll play any NFS because I'm a sucker.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I've had the same dream, but car makers won't play nice with having their vehicles crumpled like cans in a mainstream videogame.

I know, it's stupid.

That is actually true. :D Sad, but it is the price you've to pay to license some brands.

But we always have... had :( ... FlatOut for that.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Where are we at in the NFS cycle? Is this going to be the misguided attempt at cloning HP2/UG2/MW that fails due to them having no clue why people actually liked them, or the always online open world blandathon, or the "lets make it like the Fast & Furious movies" one?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Where are we at in the NFS cycle? Is this going to be the misguided attempt at cloning HP2/UG2/MW that fails due to them having no clue why people actually liked them, or the always online open world blandathon, or the "lets make it like the Fast & Furious movies" one?

I mean, Hot Pursuit 2010 was a huge success both critically and commercially. In no way was it a failure of mimicking what people loved about the first two HP games. I'd say it's one of the top 5 arcade racers ever.

Aside from that, when they announced that NFS wasn't going to be at E3 they released a statement talking a little about what 2019's game will be like

And while we've had some great memories over those twenty-five years, we're not here to look back and reminisce. We've got our eyes set firmly on the future. But even while focusing on the future – especially this year – we've also thought a lot about what NFS means to you, and perhaps more importantly what we hope it will mean as we move forward.

So it doesn't sound like it's going to be a 2019 take on any existing NFS, but rather a game that's a unique take on the brand. This year is the 25th anniversary of the series, so it should be something big.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless this game is trash tier like Payback was, I will probably buy and play it eventually. I think ever since NFS was Criterion-ized the series has gotten worse and not better. Hot Pursuit 2010 being the only exception. Series peaked with MW2005 of course.

It's a shame Black Box got shut down because I actually enjoyed some of their more unorthodox takes on the franchise. The Run may not have been exceptional but it had character, dammit. Whereas the Ghost games have felt really designed-by-committee and lack that type of creative vision. I'm hoping this one is different!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought burnout revenge on xbox one x for 5 bucks yeaterday. I forgot how much I loved this game. In hignsight i think its better than paradise

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Hot Pursuit 2010 was a huge success both critically and commercially. In no way was it a failure of mimicking what people loved about the first two HP games. I'd say it's one of the top 5 arcade racers ever.
Yeah, I didn't care for HP2010 but I recognise it was one people really liked, that jab was aimed mainly at NFS2015 and to a lesser extent the Most Wanted "remake" (which failed to capture any of what made the original special).

Last edited:

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be excited if they changed the engine or racing gameplay. Always liked NFS besides the actual driving.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The last five or so NFS were all that combined in one spectacular mess of a game. After trying to play them during the last couple of months I'm feeling like I'm done with NFS for good.

kaaayque

Jul 19, 2018
I really liked Payback with its FF vibe and it was fairly easy to play the game ignoring all the microtransactions (it shouldn't be there but you could skip them entirely)

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So I wonder how legit this is...

TL;DW Neon theme, set in not Miami, gameplay is a mix of Payback and Rivals.