• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The 80s were brimming with movies where rough and tough kids went up against all kinds of dangerous shit and on wild adventures and they're all regarded as cult classics these days and are perfectly enjoyable. Dan Aykroyd is writing it, I'm sure it'll be fine. I even liked Evolution despite (or possibly because) it was literally just Ghostbusters with aliens.

Goosebumps, at least the first one (I haven't seen the second yet) is really surprisingly excellent. I went in with very low expectations just hoping that I'd enjoy Jack Black being his goofy self and I've since rewatched it multiple times, it's super fun.

I think it is important to remember that Ghostbusters was indeed a PG movie, spawned a hugely popular cartoon series that lasted like 7 seasons, a PG sequel, another cartoon where the GBs were late teens, early 20s at best, a bunch of excellent comics, and supposedly a third cartoon called Ecto Force that's in the works, and the rookie you play as in the "canon" game is also in his late teens/early 20s. There's adult humor, and it's not aimed directly at kids, but it's very much a family friendly franchise. In that respect, although I did like Answer the Call, I'm really glad Fieg didn't get to push it into an R-Rated horror focused reboot like he apparently wanted.

With that in mind, we also only know the supposed ages of two of the four kids. It's entirely possible that the other two are older, be it mid or late teens. And again, it's not like there was a shortage of movies in the 80s where kids went up against some shit, like Goonies, Monster Squad, Lost Boys, Adventures in Babysitting, ET, just off the top of my head. That one about the haunted house that was a sequel to a legit scary movie but it was really campy with a ghost cowboy grandpa or something, and like a caterpillar dog puppet? One of the guys who did Monster House is working on this too, and that had a cast of kids but was still proper freaky.

If it was anyone else writing it, then I'd share your concerns. But there's nobody that knows Ghostbusters like Dan Aykroyd. It's his baby. He's been fighting for this for almost four decades now. Until he gives me a reason to think he can't do it, I'm ready for whatever he wants to do with the franchise.

But check out Goosebumps! I'm not sure if it's still there but last I checked it was on Netflix.

I agree and those movies worked really well, ET, IT etc were all great movies, my issue is more the fact that how can it physically work?

I mean, in theory (based on what Ernie Hudson said on Twitter) the timeline is 30 years after the event, if we assume these are the ghostbusters kids (which I think might be the case) then surely they would be in their 20s? If it isn't their kids (which is possible) then why would they recruit young kids at the age of 12-13 to bust ghosts and carry around proton packs etc? It doesn't seem like a very smart idea and I am not sure how that would work on a practical level?

Unless it starts with them being young kids and then fast forwards to when they are older?

I loved evolution btw and you're right, akroyd writing it does give me hope (the ghostbusters game was excellent and despite what people think I believe ghostbusters 2 was a great movie that is somewhat unfairly criticised.)

Also, I will definitely check out goosebumps tonight because of your recommendation so thank you for that.

Also, I agree with the rest of your post although you now have me scratching my head over what that movie might be you are talking about.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The thing I love so much about the original is that they were just regular shlubs. Sure, intelligent shlubs, but they actually looked like they could be professors and scientists.

They weren't in shape, weren't particularly good looking (I mean, they're no Chris Pratt or Ben Affleck), and certainly weren't action heros.

While I love Stranger Things and IT, these aren't particularly action heavy roles for the kids there. I'm not sure how that'll translate to Ghostbusters.

That's pretty much my exact concern.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I agree and those movies worked really well, ET, IT etc were all great movies, my issue is more the fact that how can it physically work?

I mean, in theory (based on what Ernie Hudson said on Twitter) the timeline is 30 years after the event, if we assume these are the ghostbusters kids (which I think might be the case) then surely they would be in their 20s? If it isn't their kids (which is possible) then why would they recruit young kids at the age of 12-13 to bust ghosts and carry around proton packs etc? It doesn't seem like a very smart idea and I am not sure how that would work on a practical level?

Unless it starts with them being young kids and then fast forwards to when they are older?

I loved evolution btw and you're right, akroyd writing it does give me hope (the ghostbusters game was excellent and despite what people think I believe ghostbusters 2 was a great movie that is somewhat unfairly criticised.)

Also, I will definitely check out goosebumps tonight because of your recommendation so thank you for that.

Also, I agree with the rest of your post although you now have me scratching my head over what that movie might be you are talking about.
I did some googling and it was House II. The first House is a straight up horror movie but House II is completely different, kid friendly, puppets and hidden worlds, fantastical tone. It's awful but it's charming. And just super, super weird.

As to the kids, I don't think any of the rumors point to them being all being related to the original team, I thought they were just assuming the girl was since the casting for her specified she'd need to be white. As for why they'd recruit kids in that age range, I assume that's what the movie will be about. But the suggestions of, ghost activity has been dormant, group of kids come across the barn, meet Ray, something goes wrong and they kids kind of fall into ghost busting to help Ray & the others would work.
In one of the original GB3 scripts they have a bunch of younger assistants working in a lab with them, developing new technologies.
They studied the occult, maybe the kids have telekinetic abilities or something and they're volunteers for ghost detecting/communications.
The 13 year old boy could be the younger brother of an 18-19 year old teen working as an assistant to the Ghostbusters, or Ray's caretaker, depending where they take the story.
They could be the younger siblings of older teens that come across the barn. They're messing around with the gear, Old Man Ray sees them, releases a harmless ghost to prank them, they surprise him by successuflly capturing it and he trains them because ghost activity has been spiking.
The 12 year old girl could be Walter Peck's granddaughter, and in a twist of fate and finger to Peck, she's always been interested in the occult. Ghost activity spikes after being dormant for a while, she overhears the name Ray Stantz and goes looking for him because of something she knows/saw/heard a ghost say about the end of the world.

Dan Aykroid and Ivan/Jason Reitman probably have better ideas than I do heh

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I did some googling and it was House II. The first House is a straight up horror movie but House II is completely different, kid friendly, puppets and hidden worlds, fantastical tone. It's awful but it's charming. And just super, super weird.

As to the kids, I don't think any of the rumors point to them being all being related to the original team, I thought they were just assuming the girl was since the casting for her specified she'd need to be white. As for why they'd recruit kids in that age range, I assume that's what the movie will be about. But the suggestions of, ghost activity has been dormant, group of kids come across the barn, meet Ray, something goes wrong and they kids kind of fall into ghost busting to help Ray & the others would work.
In one of the original GB3 scripts they have a bunch of younger assistants working in a lab with them, developing new technologies.
They studied the occult, maybe the kids have telekinetic abilities or something and they're volunteers for ghost detecting/communications.
The 13 year old boy could be the younger brother of an 18-19 year old teen working as an assistant to the Ghostbusters, or Ray's caretaker, depending where they take the story.
They could be the younger siblings of older teens that come across the barn. They're messing around with the gear, Old Man Ray sees them, releases a harmless ghost to prank them, they surprise him by successuflly capturing it and he trains them because ghost activity has been spiking.
The 12 year old girl could be Walter Peck's granddaughter, and in a twist of fate and finger to Peck, she's always been interested in the occult. Ghost activity spikes after being dormant for a while, she overhears the name Ray Stantz and goes looking for him because of something she knows/saw/heard a ghost say about the end of the world.

Dan Aykroid and Ivan/Jason Reitman probably have better ideas than I do heh

House 2 yes! I remember that! That was a pretty good (albeit weird) movie.

Unrelated but another really weird movie from that time period was Terrorvision, it's an 80s b movie type horror, just as weird as house 2, actually weirder lol, you should check it out.

Also, I would pay to watch that movie you just described because it sounds damn awesome! You should be a writer or something, I really enjoyed reading that, thank you.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Leslie Jones going offf. I'm sorry your movie was horrible no need to lash out.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
House 2 yes! I remember that! That was a pretty good (albeit weird) movie.

Unrelated but another really weird movie from that time period was Terrorvision, it's an 80s b movie type horror, just as weird as house 2, actually weirder lol, you should check it out.

Also, I would pay to watch that movie you just described because it sounds damn awesome! You should be a writer or something, I really enjoyed reading that, thank you.
TerrorVision is SUPER weird. I think I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it but yeah what I have seen, if I'm thinking of the right movie, was so bizarre. I love totally wacky out there horror stuff. Horror comedy has long been my favorite genre, probably entirely because of Ghostbusters heh.

Also, thank you! I actually had a web comic going for a while based on what was essentially my Ghostbusters fan fiction. Nothing featuring the OGs but low-key based in the same world. The animation studio I work for did a shorts program in partnership with Sony and I thought, if I can pitch a short secretly in the GB universe and they pick it up, maybe I can backdoor my way into my own spinoff at Ghost Corps (this was back when all the rumors were swirling of the GB cinematic universe and Sony wanting to make movies and shows based off several different teams all over the world). It didn't get picked up, Sony never even got a chance to review it so I'll never know if my crazy plan would have worked, so I took the idea and made it into a comic instead. I stopped updating it a couple years ago when I started working on a bunch of new pitch ideas, and the storyline started getting a little too close to current world events so I thought... I'd better cool it for a while. The characters I created are very dear to my heart though (I did a doodle of one of them reacting to the GB3 teaser) so I'm gonna go back and continue the story eventually.

Leslie Jones going offf. I'm sorry your movie was horrible no need to lash out.
Yikes. I totally understand her frustration, and I would have honestly loved a sequel to Answer the Call, but good grief. From a studio perspective, AtC just was not profitable enough to get a sequel. I'd also heard that if it bombed, Sony were looking to shelve the Ghostbusters IP entirely until the 50th anniversary, so in some ways getting another movie at all is a miracle after how poorly AtC did. Couple that with the absolutely toxic and disgusting reaction to it and it was never going to get a sequel. So what did she expect, just no more Ghostbusters ever again? This isn't just a new team of all men, it's finally a sequel to the original movies. Also saying women can't be Ghostbusters (and even linking it to Trump, jfc) is a weird stance to take when 2 of the 4 new GBs are going to be women.

I need to catch up on the IDW comics, I think the last trade I have is Ghostbusters International but with how incredibly well written the other stories have been, I'm really curious to see what they did with the Answer the Call universe and having the two timelines cross over. I appreciated the slow build of AtC a lot, I liked the focus on the team coming together and it building to Zuul and Gozer in a second or third movie, giving them a chance to breathe on screen instead of rushing through it like GB'84 does. (Which, I mean, is fine, that's how their story was written. Just one of the benefits of being a reboot, can focus on other ideas)

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Not a good look for Jones, especially if the rumors about the cast being 2 boys and 2 girls ends up being true. It's important to not conflate some of the assholes who hated 2016's version for purely misogynistic reasons with Reitman's new version. While some may embrace Reitman's version as a means of spurning Feig's take, it's easily possible to be excited about the new film while still appreciating 2016's version for what it was.

From a studio perspective, the main issue with Feig's version was that it did poorly relative to its budget. I'm hoping that prompts this new version to be much smaller in budget, and to put more of its focus on the writing and comedy as opposed to CG spectacle.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Not a good look for Jones, especially if the rumors about the cast being 2 boys and 2 girls ends up being true. It's important to not conflate some of the assholes who hated 2016's version for purely misogynistic reasons with Reitman's new version. While some may embrace Reitman's version as a means of spurning Feig's take, it's easily possible to be excited about the new film while still appreciating 2016's version for what it was.

From a studio perspective, the main issue with Feig's version was that it did poorly relative to its budget. I'm hoping that prompts this new version to be much smaller in budget, and to put more of its focus on the writing and comedy as opposed to CG spectacle.

I think Jones gets a little leeway given she got the brunt of the harassment and the only reason the movie wasn't a financial success had nothing to do with her and everything to do with someone saying sure spend 150 million (wtfffff) on a sci-fi horror comedy.

If that movie had a rational budget, chances are it gets a sequel.

But yeah she got it really bad so whatever let her be.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I entirely disagree with Leslie's criticisms of this, I'll give her a pass because of what she had to experience regarding the last film.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I mean, I'm sympathetic given the sheer misogyny (and in Jones' case, racism) of the backlash to the 2016 film... but c'mon, Sony is a business. They exist to make money, not to be woke for the sake of wokeness, and it's no surprise that they believe a continuation of the beloved original would be more profitable than a sequel to a reboot that got mixed reviews and was a major box office dud.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Don't get that tweet, the 2016 reboot made its own world.

Maybe she wants a spider universe style cross over?

Hey maybe they will add a few busts of the 2016 cast in a hallway...

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

can understand her frustration given the amount of shit she dealt with in being one of the center targets in the harassment. But it still comes off as really, really yikes and lacks the understanding that their movie sucked independent of the initial misogynistic backlash from the reveal.

Honestly they should have left GB dead, there was only one good movie and it was because of amazing writing and a perfect cast. Trying to re-capture that by constantly remaking it is a fucking beyond pointless endeavor, but what do I know I'm not some all knowing studio exec with will meddle with the movie and cause chaos and tens of millions in inevitable reshoots.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
TerrorVision is SUPER weird. I think I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it but yeah what I have seen, if I'm thinking of the right movie, was so bizarre. I love totally wacky out there horror stuff. Horror comedy has long been my favorite genre, probably entirely because of Ghostbusters heh.

Also, thank you! I actually had a web comic going for a while based on what was essentially my Ghostbusters fan fiction. Nothing featuring the OGs but low-key based in the same world. The animation studio I work for did a shorts program in partnership with Sony and I thought, if I can pitch a short secretly in the GB universe and they pick it up, maybe I can backdoor my way into my own spinoff at Ghost Corps (this was back when all the rumors were swirling of the GB cinematic universe and Sony wanting to make movies and shows based off several different teams all over the world). It didn't get picked up, Sony never even got a chance to review it so I'll never know if my crazy plan would have worked, so I took the idea and made it into a comic instead. I stopped updating it a couple years ago when I started working on a bunch of new pitch ideas, and the storyline started getting a little too close to current world events so I thought... I'd better cool it for a while. The characters I created are very dear to my heart though (I did a doodle of one of them reacting to the GB3 teaser) so I'm gonna go back and continue the story eventually.

You should definitely continue the story, that was really interesting to read so thanks for sharing :).

And yes, I also love wacky horror (evil dead, terror vision, killer clowns from outer space etc)