• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda bummed it won't pick up where the 2016 movie left off. I liked it. Will probably check this out regardless.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda hoping is bad just to see the nutters try to spin it as good because "at least it's not full of women".
I really hoped the reboot was gonna be good to wipe the smirks off the faces of all the sweaty turds who were plaguing the run-up to that movie.
Unfortunately I was wrong and it was a painfully unfunny piece of shit. I hope you're wrong here too.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing it's Ray in the barn and some kids are gonna explore the barn on a dark night as a dare and they'll unwittingly release some horrible ghost and now weird/crazy old Ray will have to mentor them to fix their mistake.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, brief as this is I really like it.

It would have been even cooler had all we seen is the Ecto 1 license plate but perhaps that would have been too subtle.

Secondly, I really enjoyed the reboot but tonally it was an entirely different type of film and didn't even approach the greatness of the original.

I actually think this could be really cool and Reitman is a quality director.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this just bums me out because Ramis has passed. A third movie with all of them would've happened if Murray wasn't such an ass.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Real Ghostbusters is on netflix, so I just watched the episode they go to Rays family farm for vacation.
You know, to prepare.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm going to be perfectly honest, I think the idea of doing a proper Ghostbusters 3 should have died with Harold Ramis
He's only one man. You have not only the son of the original director wanting this, but most of the old cast as well. Not to mention the millions of fans. Even the ones that boycotted the latest reboot.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? I had no idea.
It's missing a lot of episodes from the end of the series but at that point it was Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters so I'm not sure who might care

He's only one man. You have not only the son of the original director wanting this, but most of the old cast as well. Not to mention the millions of fans. Even the ones that boycotted the latest reboot.
Not only that but the creator of the entire concept as well

The idea that Ghostbusters is/should only ever be Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston is fucking stupid and so short-sighted and closed-minded. Not only is that not what Dan envisioned for his concept, but the idea that in a world where ghosts are real and a way has been found to capture and contain them, there's not a fucking chance only 4 people from New York would ever figure out how to do it. The concept of Ghostbusters as a whole has a deep, deep well to draw from. Other cultures have different kinds of ghosts, perhaps they require different methods of capture and containment? The IDW comics are SO good about this stuff, they could make plenty of fantastic movies just adapting storylines from that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's missing a lot of episodes from the end of the series but at that point it was Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters so I'm not sure who might care

Is the episode where Egon dies and they have to go into the Containment Device to find his soul and bring him back in the Netflix list? I SWEAR I saw that episode when I was a kid but I've never been able to find it since.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Is the episode where Egon dies and they have to go into the Containment Device to find his soul and bring him back in the Netflix list? I SWEAR I saw that episode when I was a kid but I've never been able to find it since.
I think so, yeah. I rewatched the whole series [well, everything Netflix has because I'm too lazy to change DVDs lol] last year and there are several episodes where they have to go into the Containment Unit for one reason or another, that one sounds familiar.

Edit: Yep I just checked, "Egon's Ghost" episode 73
1d88b3e62e8b94f45fcec4750874fdfa7c75b46b.jpg

"While battling spirits, Egon accidentally becomes a ghost himself. Ray, Winston and Peter must find a way to reverse the process and save their buddy."

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool, though kind of an odd tone to a teaser for a film that should be a bit of a comedy. Of course, the original film itself had that same weird tonal shift too, where the occult stuff was played pretty straight with the surrounding action being where the comedy came from, that's something I always liked about it. Hopefully this manages to capture that same spirit too.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Ghostbusters 2016 was a terrible film and that was the only one in the franchise I ever saw. I just wanted to see some cool CGI ghosts with a spooky atmosphere (like the first 5 minutes of the film teased) but it turned into some of the worst stupid humor and feeling of ¨nothing interesting is happening¨ nearly all the film till the big scene toward the end. And even then, it was just generic action but the CGI was nice.

I mean, I am not seeing it unless it has a completely different tone than the last one.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Ramis was one of the writers of the original Ghostbusters along with Aykroyd. It could still be good, but it's going to be different than the original two.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Ghostbusters 2016 was a terrible film and that was the only one in the franchise I ever saw. I just wanted to see some cool CGI ghosts with a spooky atmosphere (like the first 5 minutes of the film teased) but it turned into some of the worst stupid humor and feeling of ¨nothing interesting is happening¨ nearly all the film till the big scene toward the end. And even then, it was just generic action but the CGI was nice.

I mean, I am not seeing it unless it has a completely different tone than the last one.

It's not like the original film isn't readily available to view. You should watch it.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

Watch the original. Thank me later.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue that Egon is the most important Ghostbuster and not to mention super important from a writing perspective as well

Yeah, much of what the team could do was built upon "Egon's really smart." I think they do have an opportunity to still use him in that sense though. With his death, he could very much take on the form of an active poltergeist, helping the new team get their start. You lose the benefit of "We have a really smart guy on the team," but gain "We've got a guy in the spirit realm on our side." I think the teaser even implies that this will be the case with the equipment starting on its own. I can easily picture the four teens being guided to the Ecto-1 by leaves blowing in the wind, objects falling, and such. Egon learns of some big threat to humanity from the spirit world and has to non-verbally communicate with the new group to get them to do something about it.

It might feel tacky without Ramis being present, but, from a writing standpoint, I think it could still work.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I probably will watch them if this new one gets me interested enough with trailers. But Im not sure it´ll be worth my time given how old they are and I doubt the special effects hold up
Just... watch the first movie. It's a classic. It's on Netflix. It's not anything at all like Answer the Call and even if GB2020 is good it will still be different from the original.

Just watch the movie.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Obviously they've left it too long for a true Ghostbusters 3 (we'll always have the ps3/360/pc-era game as the third "movie"). With that being said I am glad that they are ignoring the disastrous 2016 "reboot". There were a lot of things wrong with that movie and it wasn't just the 4 main cast members being "unfunny" (not only did they pick the wrong four women, the "script" and style of humor that was used did not suit the "Ghostbusters" property).

Although it's amusing in itself that this new Ghostbusters movie is happening, was seemingly talked about as one possible direction they could go in (in the promotion of the 2016 film, they discussed all kinds of different ways to use the Ghostbusters property including returning to the original Ghostbusters world).

I'll be keenly following this with interest, I hope it's true to the original film this time!

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
If that's Ray's barn, then I'm guessing he didn't lose the house.
VENKMAN
You'll never regret this, Ray.

STANTZ
(perturbed)
My parents left me that house, I was born
there.

VENKMAN
You're not going to lose the house.
Everybody has three mortgages these days.

STANTZ
But at nineteen percent interest! You didn't
even bargain with the guy.

SPENGLER
(calculating)
Just for your information, Ray, the interest
payments alone for the first five years come
to over $75,000.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Looks awesome so far, can't tell much from a teaser trailer but I am loving the old music and the ecto looks really good from what I can see.

I am hyped that Jason Reitman is doing it as I feel like his dad will give him good guidance on where it should go, honestly I hope it isn't a flop.

Ghostbusters 2016 was a bad movie, it had a great cast that was wasted on a bad script imo, let's hope this one isn't the same, my wife is excited about this one as well and it being a continuation from the first two movies.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they use this version of the theme:

I still don't get why they didn't just extend out the version they had made for the trailer? It's not amazing but it's definitely better in my opinion

Edit: Disclaimer edit here, I don't listen to music recreationally, so I can only comment on what sounds catchy and memorable like the original theme. If people dislike/hate this one as much or more than the Fall Out Boy one too, that's fine.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why they didn't just extend out the version they had made for the trailer? It's not amazing but it's definitely better in my opinion

I frickin' loved that version they used in the trailers but the Walk the Moon version of the theme is fantastic, SO much better than that shit Fallout Boy theme good lord almighty. I wish they'd done a full version of the teaser music though, unf

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So Old Ray has to rebuild the old tech with a new generation of Ghostbusters.

In other words, EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE IN 2016, FFS.

Dumbass Paul Feig said he couldn't figure out how to make his movie a sequel. This is how, you hack!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So Old Ray has to rebuild the old tech with a new generation of Ghostbusters.

In other words, EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE IN 2016, FFS.

Dumbass Paul Feig said he couldn't figure out how to make his movie a sequel. This is how, you hack!

It is pretty much the easiest and smartest way to do it. Having Ray pass the torch to a new generation would've solved so many problems with the 2016 relaunch.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
You quite literally proved my point though: You're upset because it wasn't what you wanted. I don't know how else I can put that, because you've spelled it out very clearly in every criticism you have. It was a reboot, and as such, was not tied to the previous films. I don't know why you expected it to reflect the previous films.

It was an average movie. Your nostalgia aside, it still wasn't a "dumpster fire".

Reboots can be good if they're actually, you know, good. I like classic Star Trek for its methodical pace and erudite themes, but I also like the Star Trek 09 film despite it being a high energy action film full of humour. Genre shifts in sequels can be good too if they're well executed. See: Terminator, Alien and Evil Dead. Ghostbusters 2016 simply isn't a good Feig film, unlike Bridesmaids (which is a minor modern classic).

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Reboots can be good if they're actually, you know, good. I like classic Star Trek for its methodical pace and erudite themes, but I also like the Star Trek 09 film despite it being a high energy action film full of humour. Genre shifts in sequels can be good too if they're well executed. See: Terminator, Alien and Evil Dead. Ghostbusters 2016 simply isn't a good Feig film, unlike Bridesmaids (which is a minor modern classic).

It's not a GREAT film. It's an average film.

It's not a disaster, a dumpster fire, a crime against humanity, or anything else attributed to it. It's just competent. I'm not even defending the movie, just saying the knee jerk "this is dog shit" impressions are just overreactions from overzealous fans who feel personally attacked by an average movie from on of their favorite nostalgic IPs.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't fuck this up again and not allow the black character (if there is one) a scientist. The last movie turned me off from the initial trailer for that very reason.