• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Stranger things is a rip off of so many other things, it's just the only good thing on the week it comes out.

IT
Montauk Project
Scooby Doo
Monster Squad = Stranger Things basically.
Yep, totally forgot about Monster Squad actually. Yeah the 80s were filled with kids VS monsters shit, Stranger Things is just the new hotness

Is Bobby Brown coming back?

Also, I'm still shocked that the song is in regular pop music rotation.
Huey Lewis knows how to write a timeless hit ;)

Yeah this sounds like a good movie
There are four people who I'd trust with Ghostbusters

Lord & Miller, because everything they touch has been incredible and while I don't know if they'd get the tone of classic Ghostbusters, I know they'd made a damn good Ghostbusters movie

Erik Burnham, who writes the IDW comics and is probably the only person outside Dan Aykroyd to really nail Ghostbusters

Dan Aykroyd

Dan wrote the script to this, so I trust him. He's only been dreaming of this for the past three and a half decades, I think he knows where he wants to take the story.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I dig it. Hoping they get the 3 remaining Ghostbusters to be part of it.
It's in the same universe and is an actual sequel this time. They probably will be. Considering they all were in the last shitty movie as random people..I would hope they would do a proper role. Hard to say about Bill though

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Given Gil Kenan's involvement in this, I'm sure it'll have some Monster House-type vibes.

I liked the teaser, but I'm really not sure how to feel so far given the rumored age range of the leads. I guess the most sensible thing would be to wait until we get at least a proper trailer. I liked the talent a lot in GB2016, but that film ended up being meh for me, so there's nothing to say that this couldn't be great even with my apprehensions.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so hyped. Reboot really didn't do anything for me. I hope this movie is a success because that means we'll get a new team of ghostbusters set in the original universe. 2020 is a long goddamn way away.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
God bless them, practical effects for the lettering in the teaser! Haha love it.

Also I wonder if the girl will be related to Peter, or Ray? Obviously she sounds like Egon but that would imply that he got busy between 2 and 3. Maybe a niece? Incoming heartbreak where Egon was her dad or uncle and she talks/acts the way she does because she witness his death and is trying to connect with him in the afterlife

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Janine was the secretary, not the gate keeper.
I am absolutely ashamed of myself for making that mistake. Like, you have no idea how embarrassed I am since this is my favorite series ever. I did something similar a couple days ago where I called Vigo Vince, accidentally thinking of Vince Cortho. SMFH I need to renew my fan card.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I don't know how a bunch of young teens are going to bust ghosts unless the original cast play a massive role in this movie, the idea of watching a bunch of 12-13 year olds running around with proton packs for 90 mins sounds like one of my birthday parties from the 90s.

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that would be a pretty bad idea? How would they even do this and make it viable and entertaining?

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down. There's still room for a fun ghost adventure franchise in town.

Give it a shot. If it's not good, the original's still there.

It's not like 2 was any good anyway. lol

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how a bunch of young teens are going to bust ghosts unless the original cast play a massive role in this movie, the idea of watching a bunch of 12-13 year olds running around with proton packs for 90 mins sounds like one of my birthday parties from the 90s.

Surely I can't be the only one thinking that would be a pretty bad idea? How would they even do this and make it viable and entertaining?

The same way they made Goosebumps a fairly successful family film

I think it needs to be made clear that the Female lead reboot, despite not appeasing the fans of the original, created a HUGE new following for the franchise that consists of a large 13 and under demographic. It's entirely possible that they eschew a lot of the adult humor for something more akin to the family friendly nature of Goosebumps because of this.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The same way they made Goosebumps a fairly successful family film

I think it needs to be made clear that the Female reboot, despite not appeasing the fans of the original, created a HUGE new following for the franchise that consists of a large 13 and under demographic. It's entirely possible that they eschew a lot of the adult humor for something more akin to the family friendly nature of Goosebumps because of this.

I haven't seen the new goosebumps movie so I have no idea if it's good or bad, is it good?

I really hope they aren't going to go the kid movie route though, it seems like with this being a sequel to the originals they should be aiming for fans of the original but I also understand they have to retain the same demographic that the new movie brought in (which is fair and reasonable.)

I mean the originals could be considered "kids" movies for the 90s at least, sure they had a few curse words here and there and a few scary bits but ultimately it was a kids movie, I loved it as a kid and my kid loves it as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the new ghostbusters, the script was pretty awful and the director (despite bridesmaids being absolutely hilarious) completely missed the mark for me and kind of wasted the talent at his disposal.

My kid enjoyed it because it was ghostbusters but even he told me he preferred the originals, this is why I hope it kind of goes the same route as those, dark humour with a good story, I was expecting maybe some older (18-25) year old busters that the originals would be passing the torch down to, I dunno, it's a risky move (if this is true.) I don't think it will satisfy new or old busters fans if it goes full blown kid route.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

The 80s were brimming with movies where rough and tough kids went up against all kinds of dangerous shit and on wild adventures and they're all regarded as cult classics these days and are perfectly enjoyable. Dan Aykroyd is writing it, I'm sure it'll be fine. I even liked Evolution despite (or possibly because) it was literally just Ghostbusters with aliens.

I haven't seen the new goosebumps movie so I have no idea if it's good or bad, is it good?

I really hope they aren't going to go the kid movie route though, it seems like with this being a sequel to the originals they should be aiming for fans of the original but I also understand they have to retain the same demographic that the new movie brought in (which is fair and reasonable.)

I mean the originals could be considered "kids" movies for the 90s at least, sure they had a few curse words here and there and a few scary bits but ultimately it was a kids movie, I loved it as a kid and my kid loves it as well.

I wasn't a huge fan of the new ghostbusters, the script was pretty awful and the director (despite bridesmaids being absolutely hilarious) completely missed the mark for me and kind of wasted the talent at his disposal.

My kid enjoyed it because it was ghostbusters but even he told me he preferred the originals, this is why I hope it kind of goes the same route as those, dark humour with a good story, I was expecting maybe some older (18-25) year old busters that the originals would be passing the torch down to, I dunno, it's a risky move (if this is true.) I don't think it will satisfy new or old busters fans if it goes full blown kid route.
Goosebumps, at least the first one (I haven't seen the second yet) is really surprisingly excellent. I went in with very low expectations just hoping that I'd enjoy Jack Black being his goofy self and I've since rewatched it multiple times, it's super fun.

I think it is important to remember that Ghostbusters was indeed a PG movie, spawned a hugely popular cartoon series that lasted like 7 seasons, a PG sequel, another cartoon where the GBs were late teens, early 20s at best, a bunch of excellent comics, and supposedly a third cartoon called Ecto Force that's in the works, and the rookie you play as in the "canon" game is also in his late teens/early 20s. There's adult humor, and it's not aimed directly at kids, but it's very much a family friendly franchise. In that respect, although I did like Answer the Call, I'm really glad Fieg didn't get to push it into an R-Rated horror focused reboot like he apparently wanted.

With that in mind, we also only know the supposed ages of two of the four kids. It's entirely possible that the other two are older, be it mid or late teens. And again, it's not like there was a shortage of movies in the 80s where kids went up against some shit, like Goonies, Monster Squad, Lost Boys, Adventures in Babysitting, ET, just off the top of my head. That one about the haunted house that was a sequel to a legit scary movie but it was really campy with a ghost cowboy grandpa or something, and like a caterpillar dog puppet? One of the guys who did Monster House is working on this too, and that had a cast of kids but was still proper freaky.

If it was anyone else writing it, then I'd share your concerns. But there's nobody that knows Ghostbusters like Dan Aykroyd. It's his baby. He's been fighting for this for almost four decades now. Until he gives me a reason to think he can't do it, I'm ready for whatever he wants to do with the franchise.

But check out Goosebumps! I'm not sure if it's still there but last I checked it was on Netflix.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Stranger things is a rip off of so many other things, it's just the only good thing on the week it comes out.

IT
Montauk Project
Scooby Doo
Monster Squad = Stranger Things basically.

Stranger Things isn't a rip-off of anything. It pays homage to a lot of films but it does so in a tasteful way and still is very much its own thing.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Who knows if those sources are reliable but I think it sounds plausible. Teenagers probably mean 20 somethings that can play teenagers too.
Oh I think you can absolutley make a great Ghostbusters film with teenage leads. Just not one that will interest me significantly. It does seem the sensible commercial decision.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be surprised if they can top that moment in season 2 of stranger things when the kid opens the garbage can and the Ghostbusters theme kicks in. I think that's the best "Ghostbusters" moment since the original movies.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If this is true, it sounds...terrible.

The thing I love so much about the original is that they were just regular shlubs. Sure, intelligent shlubs, but they actually looked like they could be professors and scientists.

They weren't in shape, weren't particularly good looking (I mean, they're no Chris Pratt or Ben Affleck), and certainly weren't action heros.

While I love Stranger Things and IT, these aren't particularly action heavy roles for the kids there. I'm not sure how that'll translate to Ghostbusters.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty okay with the idea of stranger things with (more) proton packs.

He is seemingly not writing this. It's Jason and the guy who directed the poltergeist reboot who has seemingly not written anything previously according to imdb. Weird.
The interview with Ernie Hudson says Dan wrote the script, maybe they did revisions? Considering that Dan is one of the main people at Ghost Corps I can't imagine any Ghostbusters anything being made without him doing some form of pass or look-over, IIRC the only reason he didn't have much to do with Answer the Call was because Feig very explicitly wanted it to be his own thing and didn't want anyone from the original production involved or telling him what to do.

The thing I love so much about the original is that they were just regular shlubs. Sure, intelligent shlubs, but they actually looked like they could be professors and scientists.

They weren't in shape, weren't particularly good looking (I mean, they're no Chris Pratt or Ben Affleck), and certainly weren't action heros.

While I love Stranger Things and IT, these aren't particularly action heavy roles for the kids there. I'm not sure how that'll translate to Ghostbusters.
This is one of my favorite things about Ghostbusters. We all think it's this really awesome gig to be fighting and catching ghosts, it's clearly super dangerous, but the fact of the matter was they were basically exterminators. Nobody gave a shit about them, the government hated them, they're just normal people doing a shitty job and the paranormal aspect of it all was just a backdrop to that. Even in the original concept they were still essentially janitors cleaning up anomalies in space-time.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The interview with Ernie Hudson says Dan wrote the script, maybe they did revisions? Considering that Dan is one of the main people at Ghost Corps I can't imagine any Ghostbusters anything being made without him doing some form of pass or look-over, IIRC the only reason he didn't have much to do with Answer the Call was because Feig very explicitly wanted it to be his own thing and didn't want anyone from the original production involved or telling him what to do.

in the interview with Dan Rather he said there were two (or a couple, can't remember wording) writers working on it. He in no way implied he was involved in the full on writing.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
in the interview with Dan Rather he said there were two (or a couple, can't remember wording) writers working on it. He in no way implied he was involved in the full on writing.
I was referring to this from the Daily Mail article with Ernie Hudson from a couple days ago:

A showbiz source also disclosed that Aykroyd - who played paranormal scientist Ray Stantz - is the driving force behind the new movie.

The source said Aykroyd has completed a script treatment and the project is currently with Sony Pictures.
However I must have misread it or gotten confused and thought their source was Ernie. The article in general is actually kind of shit reading through it again. They claim the OGs are back on board but the actual quote from Ernie is that they're willing but waiting for the call. So... blerp. :\

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I could easily see Ray being he main characters grandfather or uncle. Living on the old farm where the Ecto-1 is stored. His ghost hunting days are just old memories, rocky relationship to his son or daughter, they don't want him to talk about the crazy ghost stuff nobody believes anymore. But when there's something strange in the neighbourhood, his granddaughter/niece has to seek him out and get his help, cuz he's afraid of no ghosts!

I think something along these lines could make for a fun movie as long as Aykroyds part is sizeable enough and not just a quick cameo and the main kids are likeable and have good chemistry.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I could easily see Ray being he main characters grandfather. Living on the old farm where the Ecto-1 is stored. His ghost hunting days are just old memories, rocky relationship to his son or daughter, they don't want him to talk about the crazy ghost stuff nobody believes anymore. But when there's something strange in the neighbourhood, his granddaughter has to seek him out and get his help, cuz he's afraid of no ghosts!

I think something along these lines could make for a fun movie as long as Aykroyds part is sizeable enough and not just a quick cameo and the main kids are likeable and have good chemistry.
How could nobody believe anymore? it was canonized that it happened and documented in the world they live in. I don't think anyone can say it didn't happen, so I'm not sure what you're implying here unless the events that happened were erased from memory and history.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
How could nobody believe anymore it was canonized that it happened and documented in the world they live in I don't think anyone can say it didn't happen, so I'm not sure what you're implying here unless the events that happened were erased from memory and history.
Ghostbusters 2?
Everybody forgot about events of gb1 even after few years.
Ghost sightings could have stopped for 30 years after gb2 making people just forget about it.
It's a comedy, they could find thousands of reasons as to why people don't remember or care about the past supernatural events.

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters 2?
Everybody forgot about events of gb1 even after few years.
Ghost sightings could have stopped for 30 years after gb2 making people just forget about it.
It's a comedy, they could find thousands of reasons as to why people don't remember or care about the past supernatural events.
You wouldn't forget something like that.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
You wouldn't forget something like that.
I sure am glad we have you, the all knowing judge of what things fictional people can and cannot forget or care about here replying in this very thread.
The fact is the world forgot and or didn't care at all about past events in Ghostbusters 2. A movie that took place just a few years after the first one.
I could easily see the world reverting back to that stance after over 30 years when it only took them 5 years last time.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Movie opens with a young girl applying for a position at Ghostbusters and then Bill Murray laughs it off, "Yeah sure toots! This is a man's job, how about a secretarial position for you sweet cheeks?"

Earns a billion dollars and incels ejaculate all over the seats

EDIT:

Well that's egg on my face, my assumptions were incorrect

Last edited:

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a little hard to swallow that everyone stopped believing them after the first film, however, there's clearly quite a few skeptics throughout the film.

I mean, think about the situation: You had probably a handful of people who had any real interactions with ghosts. One major event on a rooftop that no one was up there to actually see. A marshmallow man that exploded into literal marshmallow - not really something intangible like a slimer. Then you have rational men of science doubting it, the church not acknowledging it, politicians pointing fingers at the Ghostbusters themselves, and all the major ghost activity fading off with the destruction of Gozer.

It wouldn't be far fetched for a normally rational person to shrug it off, not wanting to "be that guy" trying to explain the unexplainable. Some people might even actively deny to avoid facing the new reality of such terrifying things existing.

That being said, Ghostbusters 2 makes it a lot more difficult to ignore such phenomena.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a little hard to swallow that everyone stopped believing them after the first film, however, there's clearly quite a few skeptics throughout the film.

I mean, think about the situation: You had probably a handful of people who had any real interactions with ghosts. One major event on a rooftop that no one was up there to actually see. A marshmallow man that exploded into literal marshmallow - not really something intangible like a slimer. Then you have rational men of science doubting it, the church not acknowledging it, politicians pointing fingers at the Ghostbusters themselves, and all the major ghost activity fading off with the destruction of Gozer.

It wouldn't be far fetched for a normally rational person to shrug it off, not wanting to "be that guy" trying to explain the unexplainable. Some people might even actively deny to avoid facing the new reality of such terrifying things existing.

That being said, Ghostbusters 2 makes it a lot more difficult to ignore such phenomena.
Exactly there is no way possible that people forgot all that stuff, it's almost laughable to imagine everyone forgot.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

I don't think the events in GB 2 are so incredibly different from what happened in the first one that suddenly this time people will never forget what happened.
Either way this is a pretty pointless thing to debate as there is no answer. The scriptwriters can do whatever they want.
Personally I think it'd be a good idea to go the ghosts are forgotten and mysterious and scary again route instead of, ghosts are a normal thing and ghostbusters are as normal as electricians now. It kinda fits with the plot outline too I think.
We'll just have to wait and see and hope it's good :)

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
A huge theme in like, all incarnations of the Ghostbusters mythos, they're always at odds with the government. They [government] don't like them and they publicly try to discredit them. A huge plot thread throughout Ghostbusters 2 is that nobody believes them anymore, ghost activity has dropped off a cliff and everyone thinks they're scam artists again.

So while in a rational, real world, no, there's not a fucking chance that people would have forgotten, in the Ghostbusters universe, yes, they forgot, and they can just as easily forget again. Especilly when the length of time between the first and second movie is only 5 years, and the time between the second and third movie will be 30 years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they go that direction with it.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the events in GB 2 are so incredibly different from what happened in the first one that suddenly this time people will never forget what happened.
Either way this is a pretty pointless thing to debate as there is no answer. The scriptwriters can do whatever they want.
Personally I think it'd be a good idea to go the ghosts are forgotten and mysterious and scary again route instead of, ghosts are a normal thing and ghostbusters are as normal as electricians now. It kinda fits with the plot outline too I think.
We'll just have to wait and see and hope it's good :)
I'm no writer, but I think for all of Ghostbuster 2's flaws, it started the characters out in a funny, clever spot, and I'm not sure how the sequel can bring them back to square one again without feeling like a rehash. It would be nice if after two movies of taking shit from ghosts and the public the Ghostbusters could finally have some success though.