• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, long story short, after busting my 1080 ti, I resolved to come back with an even stronger graphics card. In the end, I ordered the 2080 Super off amazon. Now I'm kind of having buys remorse because for the monitor I have, a 2070 Super would be just as good and $200 cheaper, but this future proofs me for when I get a better monitor, so whatever.

Thing is, when it (the 2080 Super) arrived, it arrived in this box:

Vp4jNgD.jpg

What the hell, a 2070?

But then I look on the sticker on the side and it says 2080 Super. I open the box and sure enough, a 2080 Super is there.

I ordered this new. So, what happened? Why did this come in a 2070 Super box? And is it a concern that it did?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
You should absolutely contact Amazon to at least find out why this happened. It can only help.

Now I'm kind of having buys remorse because for the monitor I have, a 2070 Super would be just as good and $200 cheaper, but this future proofs me for when I get a better monitor, so whatever.

FWIW there's stuff like Control where if you max everything out, even a 2080 Ti can only manage 1080p60. I don't think this card is a waste.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Might be a print error for the box by MSI.

Is there a label / sticker on the side of the box with a UPC / barcode that has a part#? That's what retailers use to track inventory, and it probably reads correctly as a 2080.

Edit: missed the bit in the OP. Looks like a print error.

If the card inside is in fact a 2080, I would contact MSI and let them know.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

Looks like it's the 2080 Super alright.

But is it a used 2080 Super or a new one?
Did you update the drivers? If you didn't, I think it should come with older drivers.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it just comes down to how legit you thought the plastic wrap was (doesn't exactly look homemade from the pic, unless Amazon resealed it, dunno if that's their MO for returns or if every single return goes up on Warehouse Deals) and if there are any signs of use on the card or any of the included materials.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Did you update the drivers? If you didn't, I think it should come with older drivers.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it just comes down to how legit you thought the plastic wrap was (doesn't exactly look homemade from the pic, unless Amazon resealed it, dunno if that's their MO for returns or if every single return goes up on Warehouse Deals) and if there are any signs of use on the card or any of the included materials.
I did update them. But if these are older drivers, they're were REALLY old because they weren't able to recognize the speakers I have connected to my monitor as output devices until I updated.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I did update them. But if these are older drivers, they're were REALLY old because they weren't able to recognize the speakers I have connected to my monitor as output devices until I updated.
I mean, theoretically, it should have just come with whatever drivers were current when the card was manufactured, so drivers from like June, maybe May at the latest, so that's weird

But yeah, I would personally just chalk it up to a manufacturing error of using the wrong box, but it shouldn't be too hard to convince Amazon to swap it out for you since you bought it from them directly, if you want to go that route

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I talked to amazon. They said they have no clue what happened and have no way of finding out. So 🤷‍♂️

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if I order a MSI 2070 Super, would I get a 2080 Super in it...

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I talked to amazon. They said they have no clue what happened and have no way of finding out. So 🤷‍♂️
Front end amazon reps aren't able to handle unique situations like this. They stick to a limited script; return / reship / exchange / refund.

Contact the manufacturer (MSI) and show them pictures of the box and the label. They might even send you some swag / extras for letting them know about the print error.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Contact MSI. See if they'll cover it under warranty as new. If so, keep it. If not, return it.
Yeah this is the main thing. Just make sure you're not going to get screwed if something goes wrong later. If not, I'd just keep it.

Edit: actually, if you want to resell the card later on it could cause you a headache so if that's important to you, maybe get it replaced.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
What does the UPC and serial on the box itself say? Does it match up to the 2080? I would absolutely return it to Amazon and I'm surprised they didn't already offer that to you when you called.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What does the UPC and serial on the box itself say? Does it match up to the 2080? I would absolutely return it to Amazon and I'm surprised they didn't already offer that to you when you called.

Because he still got the product he ordered.
Its a 2080 Super in the box.
And 2080 Supers arent exactly old so even if it was a returned card, he has more life in it that he is willing to keep the card.
Might be an MSI error in packaging but by the smell of things its the card you ordered and even second hand cards are still good cards.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Contacted MSI. It's under warranty and it's registered as new. They have no idea why it was in a 2070 Super box.

So it's probably a good card. It's just a matter of whether I want to save $200 and just get a 2070 Super for real.