• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

We first went hands-on with the PC version of Destiny 2 at E3 earlier this year, and it was immediately apparent that this wasn't just a mere port or conversion, but instead a thoughtful, considered approach to the platform with all of the unique features and opportunities it represents. Back then, we mentioned to Bungie that we'd really like to go deeper on the game, the technology added to the firm's multiplatform engine, as well as learning more about the approach to bringing the game to PC. Four months later, Bungie's senior technical artist Nate Hawbaker has flown over from Seattle, joining us in the Digital Foundry office.

What's immediately clear is the passion and the knowledge Hawbaker has both for the Destiny series and the PC version of the new game - and he's a Bungie veteran, having worked on the Halo franchise too. By his own admission, he has a passion for talking about graphics, and the visit was a particular treat for us. We love to put together our analysis articles, but fundamentally we are limited by what we see. We're outsiders assessing a final output, but for one day, a massive triple-A title became much more of an open book for us, with Nate Hawbaker answering any and every question we had about the game and the technology behind it.

An hour or so into the discussion, we came to the conclusion that we really needed to get some of this stuff on the record, and what's on this page is an edited version of an hour-long chat we had about the game. We learned about the major architectural advantages that Bungie added to its multi-platform engine, we talk in-depth about the PC version and its exclusive features, like HDR. And we get the lowdown on the quality settings, what they actually do and how much of an impact on performance you'll get by adjusting them.

We also talk a lot about scalability. Yes, there's a fair amount of discussion about scaling up on extreme PC hardware, but the mark of a truly optimal PC version is how it runs on lower-end kit. It turns out that Bungie and partner studio Vicarious Visions did a lot of work there too. After Hawbaker returned to Seattle, we couldn't help but wonder - how low can you go with Destiny 2 on PC? There's fleeting discussion within the interview here about whether the game can run on Intel integrated graphics, but we actually put it to the test, getting a playable experience on the Pentium G4560's HD 610 graphics and the UHD 630 in the Core i5 8400. Oh, and we also tested Destiny 2 on an ultrabook - and it works. The extent to which it works is something you can find out for yourself by watching the video further down the page.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy one of the largest and in-depth tech interviews we've carried out for some time.

More at the link.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its one of the best PC ports Ive played in a while. Never drops below 60 fps for me on highest settings. They really targetted 1080p 60fps very well.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Its one of the best PC ports Ive played in a while. Never drops below 60 fps for me on highest settings. They really targetted 1080p 60fps very well.

Pretty much. When I read the recommended specs and remembered that I only had an R9 280, I thought I'd have to play the game on medium-high.

As it turns out I can play on High-Ultra at a near constant 60 fps. This port really is the gold standard.

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its a good port but they need to sort out the terrible AA implementation, otherwise it is pretty good

so much of the stunning art gets ruined by it sadly

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The pc version might be one of the best running ports I've ever seen. Great work by them.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is light years better on PC as someone who owns this on PS4 Pro, XBOX ONE X, and now with my 1080ti it's made me really enjoy the game more.

On console the movement was sluggish and aiming was harder to me. On PC 4K and 60FPS
Locke's solid it's like butter. I can even manage to stream it out at 1080p without hiccups.

Sadly though and while it's to early to tell I feel the PC community is t behind this game. Evidenced by my pretty constitant gameplay and seeing 3-4 player in the wild. The Farm and tower have people but it seems to be under populated which could ruin end game content and pvp.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Return to PC gaming?

When were they ever there?

oni_bungie_1024x768_wallpaper_7.jpg

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I mean not to be pedantic but it's hard to imagine how a Mac isn't a "personal computer"
One could even argue that I'm being pedantic. By PC I mean a computer with flexible hardware configuration, which isn't the case of Mac, which have limited configurations.

Then you also have to consider that at the time of Marathon, PC would have been X86 and macs would still be PowerPC.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Bungie been hosting the Halo 1 PC master-servers internally after GameSpy's shutdown?

EDIT: Yeah, after GameSpy shutdown, they pushed a patch for Halo 1 that switched the server browser from GameSpy's gutted master-servers that got repurposed for Mobagemu over to a new one Bungie is hosting.