• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm a bit stymied by this one. The recent Windows 10 update created some issues with my audio, so I had to clear and reinstall drivers there. Then I started noticing this issue....

Every video I play, every gif the animates, and even games all become 'highlighted' after a few seconds, placing a blue filter over the media. Doesn't matter what browser it's in, or if it's something like hearthstone or parkitecht or whatever. I'm calling it a highlight, because it looks almost identical to if you dragged to select the image or video (only my highlights are purple, and these are a pale blue) The field is a few pixels taller than the media, and will remain in place on the screen for a split second if you scroll the page (that is, it doesn't follow the media).

I'd try to show what it looks like, but it doesn't show up when I try to capture it with printscreen or gifcam.

Oh, video card is a GTX 980 Ti, and I've cleaned drivers, and reinstalled them for audio, the mainboard, the video card, etc.

Doing google searches for this comes up with a lot of sports highlight videos and gifs....

Thank you in advance for any help or direction

edit: right as I posted this, it occurred to me that it might be my monitor? That is, since the effect can't be captured? maybe? In any case, it's a Dell U2413, if that makes any difference....

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Was just about to post that the only time I've heard of something like this was related to Dell monitors.
Does it look like this?

OP
OP

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ha...looks exactly like that! thank you! ok...so narrowed down the issue...Dell it is...

OK, found it...thank you, some strange 'enhancement' feature on the monitor....

Thank you again...

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Looks like you figured it out but I'll just post this for posterity incase anyone else has the issue -
Go to your settings on your monitor > Menu > Display Settings > Smart Video Enhance > Turn Movie Off

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man...about once every day or so, my computer will absolute hard lock, requiring a forced reset. Getting back into Windows usually requires trying to boot it once or twice after that.

The SSD drives all seem to retain their data with no corruption, and to my knowledge, it hasn't happens while the computer was just left on (it only happens when I'm doing stuff). What's the most likely verdict? Power supply, memory, motherboard, CPU, GPU? I don't have a lot of spare parts to test, and it happens rarely enough that I imagine most normal tests could pass. Hm.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Man...about once every day or so, my computer will absolute hard lock, requiring a forced reset. Getting back into Windows usually requires trying to boot it once or twice after that.

The SSD drives all seem to retain their data with no corruption, and to my knowledge, it hasn't happens while the computer was just left on (it only happens when I'm doing stuff). What's the most likely verdict? Power supply, memory, motherboard, CPU, GPU? I don't have a lot of spare parts to test, and it happens rarely enough that I image most normal tests could pass. Hm.

Could be bad memory. I would start there. Might also be bad video card memory. A power issue will usually cause a shutdown or reboot.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

The SSD drives all seem to retain their data with no corruption, and to my knowledge, it hasn't happens while the computer was just left on (it only happens when I'm doing stuff). What's the most likely verdict? Power supply, memory, motherboard, CPU, GPU? I don't have a lot of spare parts to test, and it happens rarely enough that I image most normal tests could pass. Hm.
The mouse won't move either?

I agree it could be memory related. First, reseat everything and blow the dust out. See if it happens again. If it does, try operating with one stick for a day or replace ram sticks. Hopefully that's all it is.

lake

Oct 27, 2017

The SSD drives all seem to retain their data with no corruption, and to my knowledge, it hasn't happens while the computer was just left on (it only happens when I'm doing stuff). What's the most likely verdict? Power supply, memory, motherboard, CPU, GPU? I don't have a lot of spare parts to test, and it happens rarely enough that I imagine most normal tests could pass. Hm.
A few years ago I had intermittent hard-crashing after which the ~5 year old SSD wouldn't be visible after rebooting (so I couldn't reboot into Windows). The drive would show up again after I let the computer sit without power for some length of time. I assumed it was a failing SSD. Nope, fixed it by replacing the SATA cable.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not sure if this is a thread for this, but whatever. BUMP.

My computer starts making a very low screech sound whenever it processes something big enough. ... It's like a sad and stretched bird caw (I can make a video if needed). I have an SSD (so not too worried there) but (possibly unrelated) I smelt burning about a week ago. There was no source I could find even when I opened it...but I coulda sworn the screech was from around this point, but can't say for certain if it was this or...i dunno some neighbour burning shit.

Not sure what's causing it, it freaks me out because something sounds like it's hurting.

Pleaze halp
8gmdTQ.gif