• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Every hour or so (I haven't kept track but it is multiple times in a 'session') my connection will just become terrible. On a hard-wired connection, pings to a game and Discord will spike and I'll basically be a sitting duck for maybe 5-10 seconds then everything will go back to normal. Sometimes it disconnects but that seems to be rare so it doesn't last long enough to actually timeout. Just spikes and then goes back to normal. We had issues prior where our router would go into an error state and we'd have to reboot various parts, the router and modem, to get it to come back but that would be like a hard connection drop. Not just spikes of high latency. We replaced the router with an old one and had these intermittent issues so I got a new Asus RT-AC66U B1 and the issues still continue. Spectrum replaced our modem when we had the tech out for the hard connection issues so that's two pieces that have been replaced. One weird thing is that I noticed we actually have two modems. One is attached to the wall and takes like the coax in from outside and then has a coax out to the other modem which then has the ethernet connection to the router. All of our devices then connect to the router through ethernet or WiFi.

I'm wondering if there's any tools I could use to figure this out. Any logging I need to enable on the router? I'm going to start recording the times these issues occur to try to nail down a pattern.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I would check modem logs. There could be errors there that point to a faulty/bad connection to the pole. This happened to me about a year ago and spectrum didn't say anything was wrong until I brought up the logs and they had someone come out and test all the lines neary apartment. Ask your neighbors (if you are in an apartment) if they are having similar issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Does the same issue occur on wifi-connected devices as well? Only reason I ask is to determine if it's the device itself that is at fault, or the router (since it's a hardwired PC).

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Eliminate the router entirely and plug directly into the modem and see if you still experience drops. If so I'd check out your modem logs and note what happens at the timestamp of the drops. I had a similar issue and Spectrum would blame my equipment until I brought them specific error codes from my modem and they were like "Oh that's a noise issue, we'll replace the cables" and it was great.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
"One weird thing is that I noticed we actually have two modems. One is attached to the wall and takes like the coax in from outside and then has a coax out to the other modem"

I'm assuming this is an amplifier and not a modem.

OP
OP
PeskyToaster

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will definitely be trying some things tonight. Is checking modem logs any different than checking router logs, like get the IP then log onto the dashboard or is there something more?

I would check modem logs. There could be errors there that point to a faulty/bad connection to the pole. This happened to me about a year ago and spectrum didn't say anything was wrong until I brought up the logs and they had someone come out and test all the lines neary apartment. Ask your neighbors (if you are in an apartment) if they are having similar issues.

Not an apartment but I could check with the neighbors.

"One weird thing is that I noticed we actually have two modems. One is attached to the wall and takes like the coax in from outside and then has a coax out to the other modem"

I'm assuming this is an amplifier and not a modem.

It might be. I'm not at home to check but you bring up a good point. I know the device that goes to the router is an Arris but I don't have the model or anything at this moment.

Does the same issue occur on wifi-connected devices as well? Only reason I ask is to determine if it's the device itself that is at fault, or the router (since it's a hardwired PC).

I believe so but it's been hard to tell. I usually notice the issues when playing online games on my PC because it's much more obvious than if the connection has some brief issues over WiFi. Next time it happens I'll grab my phone and see if I can load a webpage or YouTube video.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe so but it's been hard to tell. I usually notice the issues when playing online games on my PC because it's much more obvious than if the connection has some brief issues over WiFi. Next time it happens I'll grab my phone and see if I can load a webpage or YouTube video.

Just make sure to turn off your data first so that the phone is only using wifi!

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I had this exact same issue with charter regardless of my setup or settings (I tried everything). Huge ping spikes in discord once a night and if it was really bad I'd get DC'd.
Quick solution was to unplug modem and replug, that would keep me safe for the rest of the night usually.
Permanent solution wasnt something I did, but our power/internet went out for 4 days for the whole county. When it returned, it was fixed so it was probably something on their end that coincidentlyy git restarted/replaced in the outage.

You should probably just call your isp if it does it even direct hardwired to the modem.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
How would one check their modem logs? I've been having a similar issue, OP.

When I play Hearthstone on my PC over a wired connection to my FIOS modem/router, there's a 50/50 chance my game will disconnect, then reconnect. It only happens during Hearthstone (doesn't happen in other games like CS, Starcraft 2, Magic Arena, or at least it's not as noticeable.) Otherwise, my internet seems rock solid. No interruptions to steaming on the TV upstairs, or Youtube/streaming on the same PC I'm playing.

I downloaded a freeware connectivity monitor:

netuptimemonitor.com

Net Uptime Monitor - the simple Internet Connection Monitor

Net Uptime Monitor is a simple internet connection monitor that alerts you to connection failures and records their exact time and length

It does acknowledge the lost connection. I'm not sure if it creates a log I can share with the FIOS folks, thought.

FIOS spent 30 minutes on the phone with me, and basically just had me reset everything a couple times. It got better, but the problem hasn't gone away.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will definitely be trying some things tonight. Is checking modem logs any different than checking router logs, like get the IP then log onto the dashboard or is there something more?
It might be. I'm not at home to check but you bring up a good point. I know the device that goes to the router is an Arris but I don't have the model or anything at this moment.
Maybe the Arris SB6190?

The modem itself will have its own logs you can check in a similar way as your router. If there's a problem with the cable line it should log something at the same time you noticed connectivity issues. Since you replaced both your router and the ISP's modem, it's most likely the line.

How would one check their modem logs? I've been having a similar issue, OP.
You'll have to log into the modem. Do you know the modem brand / model?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe the Arris SB6190?

The modem itself will have its own logs you can check in a similar way as your router. If there's a problem with the cable line it should log something at the same time you noticed connectivity issues. Since you replaced both your router and the ISP's modem, it's most likely the line.

You'll have to log into the modem. Do you know the modem brand / model?
It's the default Verizon FIOS modem/router combo. I can check the model # this evening.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that helped tremendously when I had a similar issue was "terminating" any unused coaxial connections in the house, on both the splitters and the wall jacks. Apparently, "noise" builds up over time when you have connections that aren't connected to anything, and your signal goes to shit. Resetting the modem would help for a time, but it would be back to shit within a day. Terminating those connections eliminated the problem entirely (I think I had like 6 that were not in use).

The terminators are just little screw thingies that you can buy on Amazon for cheap; they screw right over the connector and cover it.

OP
OP
PeskyToaster

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Duxxy3
I got a closer look at my setup. I believe the device taking input from outside is an Arris TM602G which has an output to an Arris TM1602. The 1602 is what is plugged into the router. I believe a coax cable is connecting them. Is this a normal setup? Is an Arris TM1602 an amplifier?

I just googled "Arris TM1602 ip address" and using that was able to see some logs but I wasn't sure what to look for. Should I be looking at the logs for both devices?

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Are you on cable internet? I just switched to fibre optic and it's been tremendously faster and more stable. Was previously getting lag spikes in pubg during high traffic internet hours, now it's been smooth ever since switching. Change ISPs if you have good alternatives?

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that amplifying device but when I was experiencing similar issues my Cable Modem Logs had consistent entries of "Cable Modem Reboot due to T4 timeout" Followed by "No Ranging Response Received - T3 Timeout" and the time stamp would reset to Jan 01 1970 until it reconnected. Having the logs in front of me when I called support helped me prove it wasn't my issue but was theirs to fix and finally convinced them to send someone out to replace the lines. Hope that helps you sort this out, it's so frustrating how awful customer support can be for cable companies.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with overloaded nodes.

Call the internet guy and get him to do a thorough check with the wiring. Oh and insist you don't pay a dime.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Duxxy3
I got a closer look at my setup. I believe the device taking input from outside is an Arris TM602G which has an output to an Arris TM1602. The 1602 is what is plugged into the router. I believe a coax cable is connecting them. Is this a normal setup? Is an Arris TM1602 an amplifier?

I just googled "Arris TM1602 ip address" and using that was able to see some logs but I wasn't sure what to look for. Should I be looking at the logs for both devices?

Are you sure they're connected to each other? Because that's an old docsis 2.0 modem (which shouldn't even be used for an internet connection anymore) and a newer docsis 3.0 modem (which is fine).

The only reason for the older modem to be there is if you're using your cable provider for phone. Even then it should probably still use just the newer modem.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I would think wiring if everything else has been replaced. Also I don't know how Spectrum works, but our competitor uses coax and its a shared pipe so the further you are away from the source the less likely you get the speed you pay for. Additionally the more likely you are to have issues when peek users are on all at once.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible you have a loop in your system? This happened to me a year ago.

Basically I had my Cable boxes feeding via Coax into the "modem". Then I also have my Cat5 connections to all my Game Consoles and PCs in the house. The problem was I had a Smart TV in one bedroom that I had plugged a Cat5 into. Except it technically already had an internet connection via the Coax. This created a loop in my network and would cause the most bizarre issues online.

I remember I couldn't play parts of Destiny. Like, I could play the missions and the PvP, but if I ever went to the Tower (the social area) I couldn't speak to any vendor without the game hardlocking. It was weird.

OP
OP
PeskyToaster

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Are you on cable internet? I just switched to fibre optic and it's been tremendously faster and more stable. Was previously getting lag spikes in pubg during high traffic internet hours, now it's been smooth ever since switching. Change ISPs if you have good alternatives?

We might be but I'm not sure how to tell. We get over 100 Mbs down so when it's working, it's great and I can do anything I want to. It's just these seemingly random spikes maybe once an hour.

Are you sure they're connected to each other? Because that's an old docsis 2.0 modem (which shouldn't even be used for an internet connection anymore) and a newer docsis 3.0 modem (which is fine).

The only reason for the older modem to be there is if you're using your cable provider for phone. Even then it should probably still use just the newer modem.

It is a 100% possibility that they are not connected as that wiring is a little bit harder to follow. We've been getting internet, tv, and phone (a landline) through Spectrum for at least 15 years. I will check those connections tonight. You're saying the Arris TM602 is much older? When the tech came out he replaced the modem connected to the router with the Arris 1602 so it makes sense that was newer. I'm wondering if we can just get rid of the old one and connect everything to it. They seem to have the same inputs/outputs available for phone, internet, and everything else.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Duxxy3

Usually the signal is amplified (or... uhm.... filtered, like ... where it removes the frequencies that aren't relevant for data transmission) before the modem (cmiiw!)

Your ISP should just send a technician that can check the signal at the earliest point, right when it enters your home (i.e. before the two Arris boxes), or even before that.
Like, my parents once had issues with signal strength (cable TV in that case) and it turned out that a water droplet had crept its way into the cable distribution box out on the street, which then turned into ice during the evening hours, worsening the signal to a degree where the TV artifacted like crazy.

The technician should also be able to tell you which box does what and whether or not there's any redundant devices in the chain.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
We might be but I'm not sure how to tell. We get over 100 Mbs down so when it's working, it's great and I can do anything I want to. It's just these seemingly random spikes maybe once an hour.

It is a 100% possibility that they are not connected as that wiring is a little bit harder to follow. We've been getting internet, tv, and phone (a landline) through Spectrum for at least 15 years. I will check those connections tonight. You're saying the Arris TM602 is much older? When the tech came out he replaced the modem connected to the router with the Arris 1602 so it makes sense that was newer. I'm wondering if we can just get rid of the old one and connect everything to it. They seem to have the same inputs/outputs available for phone, internet, and everything else.

It's an unusual setup. Technically you shouldn't need the TM602 at all. It should just be the newer modem for internet and phone. Maybe they've got a reason to use it for your phone. Or they just didn't want to mess with it.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Eliminate the router entirely and plug directly into the modem and see if you still experience drops. If so I'd check out your modem logs and note what happens at the timestamp of the drops. I had a similar issue and Spectrum would blame my equipment until I brought them specific error codes from my modem and they were like "Oh that's a noise issue, we'll replace the cables" and it was great.

I have Spectrum and this happens to us as well. However, our drops mainly happen when watching TV or using our phones. How do I get the modem logs?

OP
OP
PeskyToaster

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
These what are are logged every time I have the spikes. I obfuscated the MAC addresses.

2/22/2020 15:50
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=[NUMBERS and LETTERS];CMTS-MAC=[NUMBERS AND LETTERS];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

2/22/2020 15:50
RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=[NUMBERS AND LETTERS];CMTS-MAC=[NUMBERS AND LETTERS];CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;