• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Crystal Dynamics has confirmed that Marvel's Avengers spokesman and lead designer Brian Waggoner is to be removed as spokesman of the game. This decision was made due to a series of older tweets written by Waggoner some years ago, many of which contain objectionable or offensive content.

The tweets in question range from 2010 to 2017 and have been collected by various Twitter users. They show Waggoner tweeting cheap jokes about the Special Olympics, commenting on Colin Kaepernick not standing for the national anthem, and generally tweeting some pretty unpleasant stuff.
Some examples.

FiK-otLX0AAPrBj

His apology to all the racist, sexist and other inappropriate "jokes" he made.

View: https://twitter.com/HeyItsBWags/status/1594847500061802496?t=AwVRyddRLeHyf9I87LyH3g&s=09

More at TechRaptor: https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/marvels-avengers-spokesman-removed-over-past-tweets

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
He's an adult and should have known better but at the same time it's been 5 years since his last remark so I do hope he has changed.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Again? Am I crazy or didn't they replace the developer narrating their war console videos already?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez. Like some of those tweets are over a decade old, so theoretically he COULD have changed since then, but then I see the ones from 2017 and it's like...nah. Probably not.

Especially considering he pretty much implies in the tweets that he's a right-winger, I just can't see him growing completely out of having those views.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Jeez. Like some of those tweets are over a decade old, so theoretically he COULD have changed since then, but then I see the ones from 2017 and it's like...nah. Probably not.

Especially considering he pretty much implies in the tweets that he's a right-winger, I just can't see him growing completely out of having those views.
In 2017 I leaned right (albeit, growing more disenfranchised by the changing republican party), but now lean very left. I've grown and changed a lot in 5 years. I'm also an adult, since that matters. I don't know about him, but 5 years is a long time for people to change and grow. I hope by 2027 I've continued to change and grow.

My dad also has gone from a right-wing, fox news consuming, leader in the local republican chapter to a fairly middle of the road idea's man.

People can change.

Those are all pretty old tweets and when it comes to these things, I think it's good to see if they've noticeably changed since then.

So let's check:

View: https://twitter.com/HeyItsBWags/status/1325142552648019969

View: https://twitter.com/HeyItsBWags/status/1325141011799044097

Oh.

Oh my.

Oh, lol we do know about him though.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normally when horrible tweets from decades ago surface I tend to be more sympathetic to the person but dude's been an asshole since 2011 all the way to 2017...Doubt he's gonna change much...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In 2017 I leaned right (albeit, growing more disenfranchised by the changing republican party), but now lean very left. I've grown and changed a lot in 5 years. I'm also an adult, since that matters. I don't know about him, but 5 years is a long time for people to change and grow. I hope by 2027 I've continued to change and grow.

My dad also has gone from a right-wing, fox news consuming, leader in the local republican chapter to a fairly middle of the road idea's man.

People can change.

Glad to hear it. Genuinely happy for you!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018

People can change.

Oh, lol we do know about him though.

Good to hear. This is important, and I fully believe most people can change and be helped, not just be demonized and damned for all time

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Damn bro. You already gotta be sus when people tweet dumb shit almost a decade ago but he is tweeting dumb shit THIS WEEK.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
Good lord, he worked with me on Avengers and eventually became my lead before I left Crystal. I genuinely didn't know he spoke like this.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
it's genuinely disheartening knowing he doesn't believe a word of that apology, and is just going to dig his heels in deeper with more kool-aid and brain rot -- now with an even stronger persecution complex

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Read the article. It sounds like this Trump voter and open bigot (usually an overlap) is still working and just won't be face of the game anymore?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes lol

Almost every person I know that voted for Trump ended up harboring some sort of racist and prejudice behavior. Consciously or subconsciously.
Good lord, he worked with me on Avengers and eventually became my lead before I left Crystal. I genuinely didn't know he spoke like this.
It's always wild when you find out someone you know thinks like this. End up looking back and realizing the signs were there.

On a side note, what was the development like for Avengers before you left? Seems like content has pretty much gone by the way side.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
well at least we know a guy who hated "female thor" had to work on a game that put in mighty thor

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly does "dropped as spokesman" even mean? If he's still at the company and still lead designer, it means nothing.
Exactly. They apparently hired him even with knowing about these tweets and nothing was done about it.

Idk. I like the game and honestly defended it but with him still be lead dev I will not touch it. Game is already gone from my ps5.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
What's wrong with the Female Thor tweet?
You tell me what is so wrong about a character created in the 70s

Also any comment that goes like "I'm not a bigot, but...." is always followed by a bigoted comment.

Same goes for everything else he saying.
"I'm not a racist but"
"I'm not a sexist but"