• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a lot more okay with someone enacting violence against an oppressive element (ie, a priest who abused you and was protected) than I am the government enacting violence.

There's a difference between being anti-death penalty and being okay with a distraught teenager killing someone who did horrible things to him as a child.

It's called extenuating circumstances.

And I disagree that it is.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I find the compulsion to repeat this stance in a thread over a murdered pedophile who escaped justice and was free to prey on children distasteful.

Then practice the closest thing we have to a rule of law on this forum and file a complaint. The report link as at the bottom left of every post.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Its upsetting that this guy screwed himself by getting "payback". He clearly needed psychiatric treatment more than anything else judging by the gruesome way he killed the sick fuck. But I doubt he thinks its worth it now that the moment is over. I just hope he gets another shot at having a normal life someday after extensive treatment and rehabilitation.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
That's some heavy stuff, I'll say that much. The cruel cinematic nature of this priest's death is breathtaking, and it's hard to overlook such a brutal act. That's a horror movie or seminal film on crime right there: you shoved a cross down someone's throat to kill them, alright, Linda Blair ain't got shit on you.

And yet, that child was murdered first.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Then practice the closest thing we have to a rule of law on this forum and file a complaint. The report link as at the bottom left of every post.
...what?

You said you found most celebratory posts in this thread distasteful and that's why you've felt compelled to whine about the reactions of others. So why not practice that yourself if it's a solution you feel beneficial?

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Vigilantism is a horrifying thing. It's also the natural result when you build a society that allows a small circle of elites to commit unspeakable horrors for decades without recourse.

It never should have gotten to this point. The tragedy goes back to the 60s and continues as this kid inevitably does time for the awful way he decided end the cycle of abuse.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know how it works in France, but a situation like this is why an actual system of rehabilitation instead of the bullshit prison system in America would be nice. No you can't really condone this kind of vigilante justice, but it's also fair to understand and empathize with the circumstances that might have led this person down the road and possibly help them back into a meaningful, productive existence instead of just throwing them away.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
...what?

You said you found most celebratory posts in this thread distasteful and that's why you've felt compelled to whine about the reactions of others. So why not practice that yourself if it's a solution you feel beneficial?

I am quite tired, it is 2am. Please show me where I have "felt compelled to whine about the reactions of others".
I may have forgotten it.

All I did was post a view point and half the thread disagreed with me. I tried to respond to everyone who responded to me.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This kid does not deserve to carry the stigma of murder. Such a horrible scenario that only happened because of a worthless pedo and the disgusting institution protecting monsters like these just to keep their privileges intact.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think this was self defence?
I believe you read that wrong. Self defense is an example of something making it acceptable. I wasn't stating that this was self defense.

The rest, however, directly related to this. Creating your own murderer through evil acts I think justifies it. He also severely damaged others ability to live life. Again, why should he be able to take and destroy without repercussion? No action was being taken. There was no other recourse. The world is now also a better place.

The boy needs therapy, probably for life. Not incarceration. That would just be the system failing again, making this young man into a hardened criminal.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I believe you read that wrong. Self defense is an example of something making it acceptable. I wasn't stating that this was self defense.

The rest, however, directly related to this. Creating your own murderer through evil acts I think justifies it. He also severely damaged others ability to live life. Again, why should he be able to take and destroy without repercussion? No action was being taken. There was no other recourse. The world is now also a better place.

The boy needs therapy, probably for life. Not incarceration.

As a Brit/Swede I think his sentencing should be long term psychotherapy and a period of incarceration. Sweden has a pretty good record with this,

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if the authorities or those within this community actually did the right thing to hunt these people out rather than cover everything up constantly.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Our society(and law) simply fails if it can't recognise the difference between the two.

Revenge murders will never be permissible as justified as they can be. I know I would feel differently if it was me or my child, but the only way to maintain order is by not being allowed to take the law into your own hands.

If the guy had been in a situation where he was in danger then yeah, he would be facing something less serious. But being as the pedo was 91 and he was murdered so gruesomely, he screwed himself by doing this. Anyway you slice it, he is a murderer now even though the priest is what brought him to it and this mental state.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that prison in general in parts of the world doesn't purely act as a deterrence. Much more has to get involved. Luckily my country (Sweden) has a reputation for doing it a lot better than others.

We have a similar system in the Netherlands, murderers and rapists still commit crimes after they've been helped, I'm sure it happens in Sweden too.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Brit/Swede I think his sentencing should be long term psychotherapy and a period of incarceration. Sweden has a pretty good record with this,
I actually edited in something similar at the bottom while you were responding. Therapy, for sure, and nothing wrong with putting him in a facility for a period where he can't leave with that purpose. Actual prison though I think would just be the system failing again, creating an actual criminal.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I actually edited in something similar at the bottom while you were responding. Therapy, for sure, and nothing wrong with putting him in a facility for a period where he can't leave with that purpose. Actual prison though I think would just be the system failing again, creating an actual criminal.

See I agree with this. I would never want him to receive anything more than the lightest sentence available to the judge but there still needs to be some sort of statement made that revenge murder is never okay.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My alternative is rule of law and not vigilante murder. If priests are not getting convicted when they are guilty then fix that. Don't go around murdering people.
Your alternative doesn't apply in this situation and doesn't exist in this world at the moment. He had immunity, so it was either die a natural death like anybody else or this outcome.