• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Realism before fantasy, really. This isn't a movie, this victim killed their abuser when they had the opportunity in a disturbing way. You just can't say "You're such a freaking hero, so metal!!!" and act like everything is fine now when we have no idea just how bad their mental health is or how dangerous they are. And most importantly, you can't allow people to think they are entitled to ending the life of another no matter the justifiable reason.

I see what your trying to say and that is the hopeful outcome that you can't allow people to think they are entitled to ending the life of another no matter the justifiable reason but it comes across as heartless and self righteous in this situation considering where is your outrage that a priest was allowed to molest children for so long that he molested the father of his killer and the killer. He was molesting children well into his 80's and the church and the authorities turned a blind eye to it. I mean what is a person suppose to do in that situation?

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
So in the circumstance where a child rapist won't be sent to prison and face justice through the legal system, you what - believe them continuing to prey on children is preferable to one of the said children murdering them?

Did it go to the Supreme Court?
Were national newspapers and tv stations notified and on his side?
Did he picket the church?
There's others but I really have to go to bed.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I see what your trying to say and that is the hopeful outcome that you can't allow people to think they are entitled to ending the life of another no matter the justifiable reason but it comes across as heartless and self righteous in this situation considering where is your outrage that a priest was allowed to molest children for so long that he molested the father of his killer and the killer. He was molesting children well into his 80's and the church and the authorities turned a blind eye to it. I mean what is a person suppose to do in that situation?

Well IMHO it isn't a crime punishable in death.

Well, it is in the UK so of course it isn't a prime punishable by death. We are not that barbaric. We have treaties covering this.

Apparently this guy thought he was above them.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. You are REALLY dumb if you couldn't figure out I was talking about the "you are dumb" post directly to you.

Or I just can't see it as it is 03:30am (I am in rural UK for Christmas before going back to Sweden).

I even mentioned this. You could have linked to the post, but I suppose an actual effort would have been too much for you.

Nov 8, 2017
Every system failed this kid, clearly. The outcome was gruesome because there was no other avenue. Everyone posting about "how they SHOULD have handled it" is in a more ridiculous fantasy world than anyone who feels this act was justified.

That the situation is a tragedy is I suspect known to everyone in the discussion. It's terrible that this priest had evaded justice. But that's not really what the discussion is about per se, that's more like the context. A huge number of people ITT are arguing that extrajudicial revenge killings are therefore morally justified and that this act of revenge should not be dealt with by the legal system either. I suspect that a lot of people are conflating what feels good to them personally with what a just outcome would be. It's too late to do anything with the priest now, because he's already dead, but the fate of this man is now to be determined by the French system, however that ends up turning out.

All the blase "wow this is so metal" posts are I think especially gross.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
It was? Here are the first fourteen posts before someone mentioned it:

(First one mentions he is a hero but with no inference that it was due to stopping others from being abused.The thread continued saying how badass it was making jokes)
How is my post making a joke and calling him a hero? I said neither and instead hoped he got help after this.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Well IMHO it isn't a crime punishable in death.

Well, it is in the UK so of course it isn't a prime punishable by death. We are not that barbaric. We have treaties covering this.

Apparently this guy thought he was above them.

Since you decided to jump in and give a non answer to my question to someone else. I am going to ask you the same question what would you do in that situation?

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling, Misrepresenting Other Users' Arguments, and Thread Derailment Over Multiple Posts
you didn't see a post you replied to?

Or I can't remember it as it is now 3:34am.

You are aware that as it gets on , especially as I was up at 5am due to this lumpy bed, that they don't remember everything? Maybe you are just an in bed by 9pm person.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
That the situation is a tragedy is I suspect known to everyone in the discussion. It's terrible that this priest had evaded justice. But that's not really what the discussion is about per se, that's more like the context. A huge number of people ITT are arguing that extrajudicial revenge killings are therefore morally justified and that this act of revenge should not be dealt with by the legal system either. I suspect that a lot of people are conflating what feels good to them personally with what a just outcome would be. It's too late to do anything with the priest now, because he's already dead, but the fate of this man is now to be determined by the French system, however that ends up turning out.

All the blase "wow this is so metal" posts are I think especially gross.
They certainly can be morally justified in situations such as this. It's poetically fucked that a "justice" system that let down many of this guy's victims could put a severely out-of-whack punishment on him. I think that saying he should ultimately walk is not saying he shouldn't face the legal system, but that he should either be found not guilty or shouldn't face jail time. (Obviously you can't not press charges when it's that clear that he killed his abuser.)

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
*Yawn* well, it's getting late, should probably limit myself to 5 more posts condemning the abuse victim and 0 condemning the serial child sexual abuser before hitting the hay

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
screenshot_20191228-0edkcq.jpg

Lmao. All because some people were happy that a pedophile was murdered after having abused children and evaded the justice system.

Got to be as inane and obtuse as possible though, because murder is bad guys 🤯😥😥

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are arguing with a brick wall over here lol
if only it was a brick oven full of delicious pizza instead of a sleepy idealist who has to defend the sanctity of life lest civilization fall before he wakes up tomorrow.

he'll not suffer a hypocrite to have the last word, but he'll tell a 2nd generation sex abuse survivor to try picketing the church before doing anything rash.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
did you know? people just slaughtered other people mindlessly until someone came up with the concept of law.

wow!

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I feel horrified that the abuse was allowed to go on for so long, and awful for the abuse victim turned killer. He's now going to have to live the rest of his life with that stigma, as well as the emotional fallout from killing another human being (however monstrous), and possibly face legal consequences as well. I hope they get him some help so that he can heal. Can't say I'm sorry that the priest is no longer able to hurt anyone else ever again though.

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In a civilised society it is.

The civilised society bit kinda goes out the window when you are talking about an authority figure getting away with sexually abusing minors for decades with no justice served.

Nothing about this situation says 'civilized society' to me.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
This is like blaming a starving beaten dog for eating his owner

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
We absolutely can allow people to think that when we're already allowing the church to think it's cool to shelter child abusers. That's the point.

No one is allowing that. And people are abandoning churches fast because of it. Now they are starting to own up to their mistakes, but for me it is too late. I believe in God but I don't believe in religious institutions anymore, honestly.

Still, I don't think it justifies revenge murders, but this victim is clearly in a declined mental state.

Human beings don't need law to act on "reason." In fact the difference between instinct and reason is almost entirely arbitrary, especially when that differs across history and culture.

What I'm saying is that ignoring these deeply flawed systems would allow any person to get violent for whatever they see fit. Its instinct, but the reason comes into play when you think "Is this really worth that consequence?" and "How will this negatively impact me or the ones around me?".

Lets not pretend now that this guy really hurt himself by this action, this is the whole point of the conversation here.

I'm being very logical here despite feeling terrible for the victim. I'm more worried about his future too. Like I said, I don't know how I would react in that situation but I would strongly be against murder if I were to talk to anyone who was a victim and contemplating what he did.

Unfortunately, people are going to see him as a danger to be around others because of how he got his payback.

the system is set up to protect people like the priest.

Thats fair to say, but that is only because it is attempting to be balanced when monsters like him don't deserve it. Again, it is deeply flawed, but the churches crimes are coming to an end the more they are exposed.

Killing his abuser for revenge did little, the thing was already 91. I just hope he gets help now and deserves treatment until he is well.

Quick question for you have you ever broken a law or a rule or just in general did something you weren't supposed to do?

I have been a kid before so yes. Does that somehow invalidate my adult perspective?

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The church had plenty chance. The authorities did too. Sad and unsurprising. But I guess it's just a part of God's plan. He works in mysterious ways, after all. He wanted that priest to suffer, but only after abusing kids for decades.

Heal the children and damn the church. I believe you are complicit if you donate funds to the Catholic church at this point.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is metal as fuck.

The church is filled with scumbags like this, i have 0 simpathy for grown ass men that completely ruined children and teens' lives with their antics.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This sexual abuse scandal by priest isn't being taken seriously in third world countries at the moment. There are probably hundreds of not thousands of kids being abused at the moment in those countries right now. Let that sink in for a moment.

Man, in Chile every major priest was expelled by the pope because of their shitty way of handling the sexual abuse cases. The church is quite dead in the public eye.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Did it go to the Supreme Court?
Were national newspapers and tv stations notified and on his side?
Did he picket the church?
There's others but I really have to go to bed.

He is a kid. When the authorities and the church itself has failed him, what makes you think he is still rational enough? Clearly this murder makes it seem like he hasn't gotten the mind to consider friendly protesting anymore. This was a priest that was abusing children for decades and no one in power did anything. Why is it on the kid to work this out peacefully?

The torture and murder probably screwed up the kid's mind even more now. The system failed him.