• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Does Kozo Nakamura still make music any more? This game is going to require having a ripping soundtrack like all the other TMNT beat em ups.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

The credits for one thing.

The GBA TMNT game was developed by Ubisoft Montreal which also has staff cross over from Tribute Games, lead designer Jonathan Lavigne a former Ubisoft Montreal dev is the Co-Founder of Tribute Games for example who is also the lead behind Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and this new TMNT: Shredder's Revenge game.

Nov 2, 2017
TMNT: Revenge of Shredder, Battletoads, Streets of Rage 4. What are some other newer releases of classic games that I should check out?
I'm very much in the minority but I loved Double Dragon IV on Steam. Got it on sale and ended up playing right through it. Ton of unlockable characters. Very much like NES games, YMMV but it clicked with me.

Saw others mention free/fan-made TMNT: Rescue-palooza. Worth at least checking out.

Home | Merso X

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Wait is Double Dragon 4 actually good?

www.metacritic.com

Double Dragon IV

Double Dragon IV for Switch game reviews & Metacritic score: The next entry in the side-scrolling action game series Double Dragon is finally here! The story picks up after the elimination of the Shadow Warriors in Doubl...

Double Dragon IV

The next entry in the side-scrolling action game series Double Dragon is finally here! The story picks up after the elimination of the Shadow Warriors in Double Dragon II!

Double Dragon IV

The next entry in the side-scrolling action game series Double Dragon is finally here! The story picks up after the elimination of the Shadow Warriors in Double Dragon II!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've been known to like bups, and nostalgia is sometimes enough, but does the genre have to be stuck in the 90's?
Not that I know what exactly I'd want to see from it, but I tend to find retreads boring. Do new cool things please.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I've been known to like bups, and nostalgia is sometimes enough, but does the genre have to be stuck in the 90's?
Not that I know what exactly I'd want to see from it, but I tend to find retreads boring. Do new cool things please.

Keep an eye out on Midnight Fight Express for when it comes out

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The GBA TMNT game was developed by Ubisoft Montreal which also has staff cross over from Tribute Games, lead designer Jonathan Lavigne a former Ubisoft Montreal dev is the Co-Founder of Tribute Games for example who is also the lead behind Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and this new TMNT: Shredder's Revenge game.
This does not fill me with confidence as Both TMNT GBA and Scott Pilgrim were incredibly dull and repetitive beat'em ups.
Hopefully any devs that cross over fromt hose projects have learned a lot since then.

Oct 27, 2017
Late in the game here, but I'm excited. I like the pixelated style (it's not Paul Robertson, right?). I agree that I can see April and Splinter being Playable, but I can see them having to be rescued/recruited beforehand. (It's nice to see 80s April kicking ass instead of being kidnapped every ten minutes)

While I was glad to see the publisher behind SOR4 behind this, I'm even more pumped to see the Scott Pilgrim team on this. IMHO:

Scott Pilgrim = River City Girls > SOR4>DDN>DD4

And before I get clobbered, I'm just stating my opinion. But fuck at the negative SP takes in this thread. Didn't that, like, help to bring back beat em ups?

It's neat to see the 80s turtles again, though I think it's strange for Nick to allow this, considering that they stream every single TMNT series (on Paramount Plus) except this one. Maybe we'll get a push soon.

Finally, I'm already seeing the "Please, LRG..." posts. As I said in countless threads, I love LRG; I order a shitton from them (especially with the last Scott Pilgrim order) but with that said, I feel that theres a lot of things that should have been mainstream - and this should be one of them. The nostalgia alone would carry this as an impulse buy/stocking stuffer, kinda like the Arcade1up release.

Though this will probably fall on deaf ears. If that's the case, I hope, at least DotEmu doesn't try to fuck over LRG again release wise. The experiences with Wonderboy and SOR4 have probably left folks gunshy.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wait is Double Dragon 4 actually good?

www.metacritic.com

Double Dragon IV

Double Dragon IV for Switch game reviews & Metacritic score: The next entry in the side-scrolling action game series Double Dragon is finally here! The story picks up after the elimination of the Shadow Warriors in Doubl...

Double Dragon IV

Double Dragon IV

That depends on your expectations on what you want from a Double Dragon title. Folks expected more of Neon which in of itself was a dramatic departure from the series tonally and thematically being more comical and less the gritty back alley brawl / street gangs aesthetic of the original trilogy.

Bare in mind Double Dragon 4 is developed by the original staff of the NES games, including series creator Yoshihisa Kishimoto who oversaw the entire project. If you treat it like an anniversary title that celebrates the NES trilogy and acts as an immediate follow up to the NES Double Dragon II, it's decent in that regard. I think people would have found DD4 more acceptable if it veered closer to something like a modern revamp of Double Dragon Advance instead of Double Dragon II.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Saw this over at Reddit, and now I'm definitely hoping for something like this is an option, in-game, much like SNES TiT before it.

2m6ls0bzrdm61.jpg

So besides SoR4 what else is worth playing these days side scroller wise?

Besides some of the others mentioned above and in this topic:

Ninja Warriors Once Again/Ninja Saviors Return of the Warriors

And if you don't already have it: Capcom's Beat Em Up Bundle is a must to finally own a legal copy of Battle Circuit in your collection.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That depends on your expectations on what you want from a Double Dragon title. Folks expected more of Neon which in of itself was a dramatic departure from the series tonally and thematically being more comical and less the gritty back alley brawl / street gangs aesthetic of the original trilogy.

Bare in mind Double Dragon 4 is developed by the original staff of the NES games, including series creator Yoshihisa Kishimoto who oversaw the entire project. If you treat it like an anniversary title that celebrates the NES trilogy and acts as an immediate follow up to the NES Double Dragon II, it's decent in that regard. I think people would have found DD4 more acceptable if it veered closer to something like a modern revamp of Double Dragon Advance instead of Double Dragon II.

Should've built off of Super Double Dragon/Return of Double Dragon.
I love Double Dragon II but that game is a bit too simplistic now.
Super Double Dragon is pretty flawed but had a great base with the blocking and grapple system.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This looks great! Was just revisiting TMNT Arcade yesterday and this really looks like it could help scratch the itch for another iteration of that game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Almost a million views on the trailer. I love that the Ninja Turtles are still cool 30+ years later.

The reaction to this seems like a much bigger deal than when Platinum's TMNT game was announced. There was a lot of initial optimism around that game because of Transformers, but this seems to have really caught people's attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. Loving the beat em up revival. Always been one of my favorite genres. I just hope gameplay is closer to the original arcade titles and nothing like Scott Pilgrim.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trailer was hype and I will most probably get it, but I am not a fan of sprites based look at all. Was hoping they would stick to the clean SoR4 art style.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Also adding some :
Castle Crashers
Raging Justice
Aztez
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Tonight We Riot

Mother Russia Bleeds
Way of the Passive Fist

It launched in 2008, when "retro revivals" were brand new. Not surprised at all it took off, even if it's not a particularly great beat 'em up.

Yeah, that and the stuff around the gameplay is good. (online play, good soundtrack, pretty funny etc)

Castle Crashers has the same problem as Scott Pilgrim though in that RPG mechanics mean that you're inevitably going to be under/over levelled at times, which isn't as fun as a well balanced challenge.

I get why modern beat em ups run into that issue, as the arcade format of a 20 minute long game that relies on inserting credits is hard to flesh out to a console game, so devs look for things like more elaborate combat with juggles/unlockables/rpg mechanics/branching paths etc.

Last edited:

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain

I'm on this strange space live, I'll try to transmit if there are some news (but English is not my first language so I'll do what I can).

EDIT:
- They said seven months to make the trailer.
- Great fans of the arcade and the SNES game.
- Some of them worked on the GBA game at Ubisoft.
- Years wanting to do this game, but Activision had the rights.
- DotEmu also wanted the game, and they all meet at GDC three years ago.
- Made a pitch at Nickelodeon.
- It's not easy for a small French indie team to get these licenses, but making more and more games made it easier.
- Nickelodeon actually contacted Dotemu after Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap and told them they wanted to make games together. Dotemu picked TMNT instantly.
- It took a long time to get all the details of the game and approve all of them, but the first Design Document was approved right away.
- A revisit of the Konami classics with new formulas and features. Wanted to polish the outdated aspects of the old games.
- 4-coop online confirmed.
- Aiming for each stage to be like an episode with a contained story, also of course coming to the big story (they didn't want to reveal anything).
- Smoother to chain combos, there are special attacks (really flashy ones).
- Development is at alpha stage, but it's pretty far along. Some changes of the trailer are already changed or improved (like menus or balancing).
- Both teams wanted to work on the 87' designs from the start and nothing else.
- Wizz studio in Paris did the new intro animation.
- TMNT theme, they wanted to do something new but faithful to the original.
- They had Patton via some contacts from their Streets of Rage 4 and discovered he was also a fan of the series and theme.
- Animation are only for the trailer, the game will have cutscenes but with in-game art style (but this could change, as this is alpha stage).

Questions from people:
- New things? Date? --> There will be unique things but they want to surprise and not talk about them still.
- April or Splinter playable? --> No comment (laughs)

- I actually got voice from Geoff! So I asked for the music style the game will have, and if it will be like the one track we heard. They answered they are pursuing the old arcade-y sound, but obviously with a lot of modern approach, new instruments and so. Right now are working with the composer but they can't reveal who he is yet, and they are also studying new genres or styles, but the main goal is to recreate those old retro sound with a newer approach.

*At this point my Twitter app got a bit fuzzy and had to exit and reenter, so I missed a couple questions.

- Side-scroll only or also RPG elements? --> We can't go on details but we want to improve and adapt to modern times, like Scott Pilgrim game has some RPG elements.
- There are playable vehicles like skateboards, hoverboards or such? --> We have in mind them of course, there will be for sure sequences different of the typical side-scroll on foot. They help to break the pace and is a no-brainer having them, but there will be more info on this later.

To close, they don't want to mislead people and say a release date because they only want to do it when the game is much closer to be ready.

END

Disclaimer, maybe something is not 100% accurate! English is not my first language.

Last edited: