• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yesterday's announcement of a Season 2 for Tekken 7 made it clear that Bamco is committed to continuing support of the game. However, even though the game desperately needs a patch on XB1X, I doubt it'll get one.

In part that's because Harada has flat out said that patching the Xbox version would be a significant undertaking:

Tekken 7 on XB1X is blurry and suffers from massive load times. It's so obvious that the game is making no efforts to leverage the hardware, and it's such a shame, because it's a good looking game otherwise. And given that the game will continue to offer DLC on the platform for the foreseeable future, this feels like a missed opportunity to bring the otherwise mostly Sony oriented franchise to a new audience.

Nov 3, 2017
I respect his honesty but that really fucking sucks for X players, especially if there's nothing they can do to at least smooth down what currently exists

The load times aren't exclusive though, they're mediocre all around

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How's it compare to the Pro and regular Xbox version?

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the continued support w/ season 2 means that they will revisit their stance. There have been a few of "late" patches on X after devs have either been silent or noncommittal.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
This is pretty scummy considering they're charging two season passes to players on the platform and can't extend this benefit forward. Yeah at least you get the new characters in their sub-720p glory :/

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
This is the problem with these midgen refresh consoles. Yea, the specs are nice. But it's absolutely jarring going from playing at 1440p+ to 900p.

I just stopped buying games that don't support my hardware.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
eurogamer : "PS4 pushes out 1536x864, and Xbox One runs at 1280x720" and 1080p on the Pro with added effects and better texture filtering

X can get to 1080, but maybe not much higher, so not sure if BandaiNamco wants to put in the work (or if MS would want to advertise that...)

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I can see this thread is already heading in a great direction with people calling it scummy for a developer to support their game with updates/DLC but not offer upgrades for hardware that didn't exist when the game was created.

The cost of updating your engine version, which in turn updates the linked XDK, which combined can mean months of work and potential new unintended behavior, is not trivial. The range is also quite large but on a project as large as Tekken 7 I imagine it's simply infeasible at this time (given Harada's comment).

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've bought the game but will not buy any dlc character because of this. It's borderline offending this game not receiving a patch while Namco are still trying to milk the xbox userbase with the season passes.

Meanwhile Battlefield 1 just got an X patch and I gladly bought the dlcs to experience the content in the best way possible on the console.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ms needs to add an option to force 4x resolution to unpatched xbone games (and 9x for 360 ones)

Problems like this wouldn't exist anymore.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Game look like blurry dog shit. I can't support/buy the game in this state.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I wouldn't care if the game didn't look like total fucking dogshit on a base X1. It's still unreal to me how awful it looks, and this is coming from someone who plays PS2/Gamecube games more than modern ones. It's a blurry mess.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
I can see this thread is already heading in a great direction with people calling it scummy for a developer to support their game with updates/DLC but not offer upgrades for hardware that didn't exist when the game was created.

The cost of updating your engine version, which in turn updates the linked XDK, which combined can mean months of work and potential new unintended behavior, is not trivial. The range is also quite large but on a project as large as Tekken 7 I imagine it's simply infeasible at this time (given Harada's comment).

40 dollars in season passes (plus more if you buy the game now and don't have eliza and potential future updates) plus a 40 dollar retail game is not a trivial cost to most consumers either, strangely.

I sympathize with the balance of resources, but I still think this is bs. At least this gimped feature of Tekken on the xbox has a justification unlike the theatre and jukebox modes flat out being omitted for no reason.

Oct 27, 2017
eurogamer : "PS4 pushes out 1536x864, and Xbox One runs at 1280x720" and 1080p on the Pro with added effects and better texture filtering

X can get to 1080, but maybe not much higher, so not sure if BandaiNamco wants to put in the work (or if MS would want to advertise that...)

If a 1060 can get to 1440p then the X can do the same and that would be a significant bump.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Played it this weekend on the X during the free trial. Looks like ass and the load times are awful. Fuck 'em.

Dec 11, 2017
Probably because the amount of players didn't justify the effort for them.
This is most likely the case.

But since they are continuing to make DLC, it still seems crazy to not support the X at this point. It would go a long way to getting people to touch the Xbox version again and then potentially buy the DLC.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If 900p games can get to native 4K this game can easily get to checkerboard 4K or a slightly lower native resolution no problem. Pretty dissapointing to see them charging so much for a season pass when not even supporting their game. This and Rockstar baffle me, what's the point of GaaS if you don't update your games.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Just look at Noctis hair:

wosu0mhl22n01.jpg

It's a crime against humanity.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree and the explanation seems weak given the tons of other ue4 games that have been upgraded.

brightsons

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just bought T7 via xbox's summer sale a couple weeks ago and assumed it was XB1 X Enhanced...........boy was I wrong.

It is a blurry mess and the load times are awful. Really hope they develop a patch cause this shit is rough.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Hope they do get pushed to do an X update, that way the game UE4 version will be updated to latest ones upto 4.19 would be great and benefit all consoles especially base Xbox One and PS4

Tekken 7 using very old version of UE4 since Arcade release development way less optimised for consoles than current versions of UE4

I understanding it can be a challenge development wise to update the whole game to be on the newer engine version but it's not impossible. Similar situation with Dragon Quest XI they're taking about an year just to update the game to newer UE4 so they can make it compatible with Switch hardware (and that's a harder challenge than this would be since much more different hardware and architecture)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If 900p games can get to native 4K this game can easily get to checkerboard 4K or a slightly lower native resolution no problem. Pretty dissapointing to see them charging so much for a season pass when not even supporting their game. This and Rockstar baffle me, what's the point of GaaS if you don't update your games.
Tekken 7 is 720p on Xbox with very low settings, it's not gonna be simply 4K CB or 1800p, it's a surprisingly demanding game, but yeah it would be an easy patch to 1440p with PS4 Pro settings, but anything higher would be quite a bit of work, keeping the solid 60fps at all times with low latency is tricky.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, "But we gotta do a lot of stuff" is an increasingly shit excuse now that Namco's trying to push a second season.

I don't know how big the One X Tekken community is, but now would be the time to push for them to actually do something.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: do Sony and MS pay devs to upgrade their games for their enhanced hardware? Because if not I don't see why any studio should absorb the cost nor why anyone should expect them to.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you Harada for at least giving us an explanation. But it does make sense, it also explains why some other games never got support from the mid generation consoles.

I'm so glad PC is such an open platform.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the new normal, apparently.
Serious question: do Sony and MS pay devs to upgrade their games for their enhanced hardware? Because if not I don't see why any studio should absorb the cost nor why anyone should expect them to.
I don't expect them to unless they want my money at all. No upgrade? As a Pro and X player... No buy. That simple. I'd play those games on PC instead except my PC blew up so that's no longer an option for me.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
To drive sales? Especially when said game is about to get a second set of DLC.

Generally if people are buying mid gen console refreshes, they probably also spend a lot of time and money gaming. My money certainly doesn't go to devs who won't even support the current hardware though.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn

The reason for devs to support mid gen console is actually quite simple . People who own Xbox One X are the one who are willing to pay extra for premium experiences. In theory (and I believe in practice), they are also the ones will are willing to pay extra for the definitive experience of any game. Basically, these people are more likely to buy season passes if a game offers premium experience to them. Some of them buy old game just because the old ones got Xbox One X enhanced. We see that in all the "what games could showcase the power of X" posts. So if your games looks ugly compared with other games in the same genre, your games are less likely to capture these premium customers.

I think Phil used this logic when someone asked a similar question during past E3.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tekken 7 is 720p on Xbox with very low settings, it's not gonna be simply 4K CB or 1800p, it's a surprisingly demanding game, but yeah it would be an easy patch to 1440p with PS4 Pro settings, but anything higher would be quite a bit of work, keeping the solid 60fps at all times with low latency is tricky.
My resolution statements were assuming same/similar settings to base Xbox One. 1440p with increase in settings leaves plenty of headroom, they probably just don't want to spend the money updating the game to the new SDK.

Rudiano

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yeh the resolution is a joke, and the uglyness is even more noticeable when playing on a 4K TV. A fighting game released in 2017 by a huge company should not look this bad

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
They got my money for the deluxe edition. If they don't make this an X enhanced title (not holding my breath) I will not buy their 2nd season pass. Simple as that.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I would of picked it up as I am a fan of the PS1/PS2 era, but not at 720p.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No investment from Bamco, no investment from me.

But if they'll invest in the game then I'll invest in the game as well. Simple as that.

Their excuse is honestly strange this generation, we've seen far too many great upgrade patches this generation, not many complaints, other devs has simply seen it as a business opportunity, a second wave of hype and sales, no dev has got their game upgraded without some effort, it's the same for everyone.
Look at Hello Games and No Man's Sky, they've pretty much redeemed themselves just by awesome afterlaunch support. Show some effort, get more hype and talk, get more positive PR, get more sales.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't their UE engine years old at this point? Didn't they port the 2 year old arcade build to consoles?

Buckley

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
How big is the xbox T7 playerbase? It's probably not worth it for Namco to waste those resources at this point.