• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, gonna check it out.

Is Noctis a viable tournament character? or he is only useful in online environments like the video says?

Everyone is viable. Us not seeing the character winning tournaments doesn't mean it's impossible. Furthermore, Noctis changed quite a bit in Season 3 and past performances don't reflect on the character as he is today at all.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a specific Tekken EU discord for matches or should I just use the zaibatsu one? Tried looking but just found a semi-abandoned one from 2017.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Noctis is good, definitely tourney viable. Although they nerfed his ORA, they buffed a lot of his other up-close stuff. He is good for sure.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I just want one patch note to come out

Bryan: d/f+3 - Decreased the move's reach

I fucking hate that move so much, I ALWAYS feel like I'm out of range of it and it hits anyways. I know the response is "just block it", but I always feel like I'm so far away from it that I can just whiff punish it instead, and then I get hit.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

I fucking hate that move so much, I ALWAYS feel like I'm out of range of it and it hits anyways. I know the response is "just block it", but I always feel like I'm so far away from it that I can just whiff punish it instead, and then I get hit.
I suggest fuzzy ducking when you are in doubt of it's range.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

It does have decent range, but Bryan's moves have really good range in general. Reducing his snake edge's range would be kinda weird.

Why not?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Speaking of snake edges in general, they feel kind of weird to me. On my ranks usually only Law, Bryan and Katarina (Lili occasionally) use them, so I lab those moves every so often to both get used to them and to build up a launch-punish reflex. But when a match comes (aside from a 3 bar Law), they still hit me like 80% of the time. When I do recognize it and block it, I often regularly mess up the WS punish and press something completely different. And I know I should do better because those animations are incredibly slow, reactable and often predictable.

I mean, I'm not as young as I used to be AND this is my first serious go at a FG, so I don't expect to pick up these things as fast as a teenager would. But I'm wondering how quickly did it take for you guys to develop the block+launch reflex and what are some general tips aside from "keep labbing" and "watch your opponent"?

Last edited:

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Speaking of snake edges in general, they feel kind of weird to me. On my ranks usually only Law, Bryan and Katarina (Lili occasionally) use them, so I lab those moves every so often to both get used to them and to build up a launch-punish reflex. But when a match comes (aside from a 3 bar Law), they still hit me like 80% of the time. When I do recognize it and block it, I often regularly mess up the WS punish and press something completely different. And I know I should do better because those animations are incredibly slow, reactable and often predictable.

I mean, I'm not as young as I used to be AND this is my first serious go at a FG, so I don't expect to pick up these things as fast as a teenager would. But I'm wondering how quickly did it take for you guys to develop the block+launch reflex and what are some general tips aside from "keep labbing" and "watch your opponent"?

It takes some time. During a match you look out for so many things that it's hard to react when your opponent actually uses a slow sweep. When you start being more comfortable in defense situations in general, blocking slow lows will become a lot easier as well.
Also, you know... Online. The additional lag makes a lot of stuff that you can easily react to in practice mode way harder to react to.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation

You have one primary issue going on that keeps you from handling slow power sweeps the way you would like (assuming you and the opponent are playing with a good connection, and your reflexes are average).

In a match you have a LOT more on your mind than you do in the lab practicing stuff. Of course it is easy to recognize, block and punish a power sweep when you are focused solely and that one, single act over and over. Even when you have the CPU throw in a few more moves to mix it up, it barely tests your recognition and reaction reflexes.

In a real Tekken fight, though, not only are you on the look out for an additional 100+ attacks that the opponent might toss out, but you are thinking about your own offense as well while (likely) dancing about for position and evasion. Don't forget that circumstances for everything I just listed changes every fraction of a second, and that doesn't even account for random distractions going on at the same time, like people talking next to you, or an extended thought about the tacos you want for dinner in an hour.

To deal better with all that in a real match, you have to keep your mind as clear as humanly possible. Tuning out the out-of-game distractions is obviously helpful in that regard, but you can also do more in-game as well. For awhile, try to play against a character that has a power sweep with a single mindset: "I'll get hit by any attack except THAT attack."

You won't focus on winning the game as much as winning against that one tactic. The way it works is to simply stand and block on defense after your offensive turn is "over". Don't step, don't back dash. Don't crush his predicted moves, don't counter interrupt them either. Just stand and block.

You are now automatically stopping all highs and mids. If he tries a throw, of course you can attempt an escape. The main thing, however, is that you are laser locked into reacting to his power sweep to block and launch it.

The more you approach it that way, the easier it will get over time. Don't worry if it takes awhile for it to be natural. The idea is that you are building up muscle memory, which takes time for everyone. You can still use Practice Mode for more repititions as you look to memorize the animation, but actual battles against another player is where you will grow the most if you go about it in a structured way like this.

EDIT: Lol, see you in two weeks, amigo. We'll still be here to answer questions when you return.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware that afreecatv was still a thing.

Probably because my perception was that everyone migrated to twitch a few years ago.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I was not aware that afreecatv was still a thing.

Probably because my perception was that everyone migrated to twitch a few years ago.
Knee has an exclusivity deal with Afreeca, this is why he only streams on this platform, and doesn't on Twitch like many other Korean players. Afreeca is still very popular.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Getting back into ranked after a long awhile. They seem to have made it much easier to rank up. Sample match:

Lol you beat the hell out of him.

I don't touch ranked, but I've read a lot of complaints lately. After season 2 I've heard That points are added way too fast and that it's created an influx of Tekken God primes with many not actually being that good yet.

Some have suggested a leaderboard for TGPs or new additional ramks that are harder to attain, akin to how hard ranking in TT2 was. Again this is just me reading stuff, I don't actually play ranked lmao

Oct 27, 2017

I don't touch ranked, but I've read a lot of complaints lately. After season 2 I've heard That points are added way too fast and that it's created an influx of Tekken God primes with many not actually being that good yet.

Some have suggested a leaderboard for TGPs or new additional ramks that are harder to attain, akin to how hard ranking in TT2 was. Again this is just me reading stuff, I don't actually play ranked lmao
Yeah it seems to me like the skill level at the tekken god ranks in T7 is now the equivalent of the red ranks in Tag 2.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's not so much that points are added faster, but that points went from being zero sum to positive sum - you now get more points for a win than you lose for a loss, until the very highest ranks. That almost guarantees rank inflation by definition, since going 50/50 now makes both people rank up.

I like it though, I'll take my participation trophy, thank you!

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it seems to me like the skill level at the tekken god ranks in T7 is now the equivalent of the red ranks in Tag 2.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they butchered the ranks. And if they want to repeair it in the future, people are going to whine about losing whatever rank they had.
And some Korean streamers are complaining, because it's too easy to get to Tekken God Prime and there's no tension to streaming ranked anymore lol

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they butchered the ranks. And if they want to repeair it in the future, people are going to whine about losing whatever rank they had.
And some Korean streamers are complaining, because it's too easy to get to Tekken God Prime and there's no tension to streaming ranked anymore lol
I see...

An idea I had awhile ago was to "invent 3 more rank tiers on top of the God ranks", but essentially that won't really work because it's moreso an issue of the parameters in place for Tekken ranked.

In any case, regardless of the season, many people still have their ego's tied to their rank and will do anything to keep their rank or promote, anything.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I did a bit of ranked yesterday, and encountered pretty much only a bunch of cowards. If they're winning, they stay. If I start winning 2 games straight, they quit. I have no problem losing rank to learn a matchup, but people are pretty sensitive to it obviously.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I did a bit of ranked yesterday, and encountered pretty much only a bunch of cowards. If they're winning, they stay. If I start winning 2 games straight, they quit. I have no problem losing rank to learn a matchup, but people are pretty sensitive to it obviously.
It's really frustrating that no one wants to abuse the infinite rematch option. people will leave after winning 1 game or 2 if you're lucky. Or you can dog someone out for 5 games straight but if they win once, they bounce. Well alright, Ill just go in lobby... OH!... Get's kicked from every open lobby...

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm low rank but I find Tekken online players way more willing to rematch than other fighters. Especially Smash. Holy shit, even if people beat you they will not rematch 75% of the time for god knows why.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Cool, gonna check it out.

Is Noctis a viable tournament character? or he is only useful in online environments like the video says?
Here's a recent tourney video of Noctis fighting against Akuma (currently rated as the strongest character in Season 3) in the later rounds (5h 41m 53s mark):

The Akuma player beat Super Akouma in this tourney, who is the most successful Euro player with the Shoto fighter in T7. The Noctis player still beats this highly skilled opponent six rounds straight. There is no doubt that part of the reason is his lack of knowledge fighting Noctis, but it still shows viability of the FF character.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

Usually, competitive fighting game players aren't highly respected until the specatators who are constantly ragging on them in twitch chats...compete one time and realize it's not like online play at all. After a year, I came back to my local and beat the best player in my city 2-0. When I came to another local 2 months later after having played online just for fun for 3 months...just to have fun with my Tekken buddies on Steam, I lost pretty quickly, admittedly because I had no motivation to win and just wanted to play casuals in the first place. When I went home with 1 win and 2 losses, I thought about the fact that I have defeated every player in my city at least once or twice, but not consistently.

In a bizarre way, this didn't matter. I had flashbacks to when I used to crack jokes about players "sucking" just because they won one tournament and lost another, in any competitive sport it seems like your skill level is based on whatever your last event came down to. Did you recently lose?...you suck now, did you recently win?...you're the best at this very moment. It's kind of an inside-joke, memeish meta type thing that sports spectators do to have fun as spectators.

This is innocuous enough, but when it bleeds into your self-esteem as a competitor in a sport, it can have an affect on you. I noticed that I beat the best players off stream, but as soon as I'm on stream and I can hear the commentators 10 feet away, I play like I never knew how to play Tekken in the first place. All of a sudden, that bread and butter combo I've done with "Bryan" 622 times since Tekken 7 first came out, becomes impossible to land, just because I'm on stream. When I lost, I felt that, "maybe I was right to stop competing", it's an ego problem. I thought perhaps I got rid of my esports ego, but unsurprisingly enough, when it comes to competing, I would surmise that a lot of competitors continue to compete to prove themselves. Outside validation has no end, if you win, you're praised, but if you win and stop competing your level of praise will diminish over time because you stopped playing. So what does that mean for said competitor?

He or she may be compelled to "continue" competing to keep that level of praise consistent. If a person is not competing for themselves and is only competing to receive external validation from their peers, discord channel, twitch chat or idols, that process will be never ending, time and time again history has proven this to be true. In the TekkenEra discord one day I was joking that I didn't "want to compete past the age of 30", I was trolling but I never explained myself.

It's not primarily about not competing after 30, it was more so a declaration that I desired to stop..."longing for outside validation from people to maintain my sense of self-worth", so if I'm 30 years old or older and I'm still competing or doing other things to receive outside validation, it's almost as if I'm an adult in physicality but mentally I'm some 13 year old kid longing for attention that can never be permanently satiated.

Last edited:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Your correct, my bad.

But there are some songs thorough out the the Tekken franchise that are not possible to get my hands on.

More recently the Noctis, Negan, Zaure 2 and so on song are not available yet and they have released 2 versions of the T7 OST.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Usually, competitive fighting game players aren't highly respected until the specatators who are constantly ragging on them in twitch chats...compete one time and realize it's not like online play at all. After a year, I came back to my local and beat the best player in my city 2-0. When I came to another local 2 months later after having played online just for fun for 3 months...just to have fun with my Tekken buddies on Steam, I lost pretty quickly, admittedly because I had no motivation to win and just wanted to play casuals in the first place. When I went home with 1 win and 2 losses, I thought about the fact that I have defeated every player in my city at least once or twice, but not consistently.

In a bizarre way, this didn't matter. I had flashbacks to when I used to crack jokes about players "sucking" just because they won one tournament and lost another, in any competitive sport it seems like your skill level is based on whatever your last event came down to. Did you recently lose?...you suck now, did you recently win?...you're the best at this very moment. It's kind of an inside-joke, memeish meta type thing that sports spectators do to have fun as spectators.

This is innocuous enough, but when it bleeds into your self-esteem as a competitor in a sport, it can have an affect on you. I noticed that I beat the best players off stream, but as soon as I'm on stream and I can hear the commentators 10 feet away, I play like I never knew how to play Tekken in the first place. All of a sudden, that bread and butter combo I've done with "Bryan" 622 times since Tekken 7 first came out, becomes impossible to land, just because I'm on stream. When I lost, I felt that, "maybe I was right to stop competing", it's an ego problem. I thought perhaps I got rid of my esports ego, but unsurprisingly enough, when it comes to competing, I would surmise that a lot of competitors continue to compete to prove themselves. Outside validation has no end, if you win, you're praised, but if you win and stop competing your level of praise will diminish over time because you stopped playing. So what does that mean for said competitor?

He or she may be compelled to "continue" competing to keep that level of praise consistent. If a person is not competing for themselves and is only competing to receive external validation from their peers, discord channel, twitch chat or idols, that process will be never ending, time and time again history has proven this to be true. In the TekkenEra discord one day I was joking that I didn't "want to compete past the age of 30", I was trolling but I never explained myself.

It's not primarily about not competing after 30, it was more so a declaration that I desired to stop..."longing for outside validation from people to maintain my sense of self-worth", so if I'm 30 years old or older and I'm still competing or doing other things to receive outside validation, it's almost as if I'm an adult in physicality but mentally I'm some 13 year old kid longing for attention that can never be permanently satiated.

Very insightful. Thanks for sharing.

I know where you're coming from. Whenever I'm on stream I think "I hope people like my gameplay" or wonder what the commentators say about me when I can't hear them. If all I do is hoping for validation from other people, I can basically stop competing.
I'm trying to go in with the same mentality when I'm on stream or not. I'm just trying to beat my opponent and if it's someone I couldn't beat before, that's all the validation I need for myself.

Jan 11, 2018
TTT2 and T7 have the worst soundtracks in the series imo. As superficial as it is, a better OST for Tekken 8 is a top priority since I feel like they're already nailing the gameplay.

DEspite

Alt account
Banned
Jul 30, 2019
The Akuma player beat Super Akouma in this tourney, who is the most successful Euro player with the Shoto fighter in T7. The Noctis player still beats this highly skilled opponent six rounds straight. There is no doubt that part of the reason is his lack of knowledge fighting Noctis, but it still shows viability of the FF character.
IIRC Noctis is Akuma's worst matchup bc not only does his spear toss let him punish fireballs on reaction, his 2 string is one of the best anti-airs in T7 so Akuma can't really jump on him either

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to go in with the same mentality when I'm on stream or not. I'm just trying to beat my opponent and if it's someone I couldn't beat before, that's all the validation I need for myself.
That's great
I know where you're coming from. Whenever I'm on stream I think "I hope people like my gameplay" or wonder what the commentators say about me when I can't hear them. If all I do is hoping for validation from other people, I can basically stop competing.
Yeah....I dunno man, I struggle with this all of the time, because at this point I am respected by my scene, however I still long for some kind of unequivocal praise that supersedes all of the other praise I've ever gotten. One of the most proverbial human traps, ultimately my problem with Tekken is that I have some kind of bizarre need for approval that I'm somewhat decent at the game, I'll figure it out soon.

Jan 11, 2018
I agree. I don't like any of the music in T7 really. It's just there. It's not offensive, but meh. I would have to boot up TTT2 to refresh the memory.

I'd argue this is offensive:

Absolute rubbish. Someone got paid to make this. It's not even a hyperbole to call it noise.

Meanwhile, one of the best pieces of music in any fighting game:

Why can't we have more of this and less wub-wub?