• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
WHEN IS THE LARS NJPW COLLABORATION COSTUME COMING?

I WANT TO SLINGBLADE SOME FOOLS WHILE LOOKING BALLER AS FUCK.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
That final reppuken did pitiful damage for 2 bars of super. Reppukens do nothing too. He doesn't look nowhere near the Akuma level of cheapness if judged by this match.

Hopefully he has some broken shit for the lols.
I think the damage of the L3 reppuken was scaled down because it was at the end of a combo, like when trying to do a RA in a juggle. Yes, an RA would do more damage in a similar setup, but that's because we only get one of those, and only when near death.

I noticed that the double reppuken near the start of the first round of the second fight may have some high crush properties, which would be a unique ability compared to the other fireballers in the game if true. Too bad the player wasn't any good to see how Max mode works in this game.

Overall, Geese looks more interesting than the other two 2D-esque characters so far.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny how Lars can do this

Lv05uFD.gif

or this
uhU0XDe.gif

Anytime he wants like it's nothing but his BIG move supposed to be this weak wrestling throw? Pffft. :P

geYMdtP.gif

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I actually love the system in Tekken 7 that you can play someone who's incredibly better than you, as it allows me to not just learn how to fight characters, but fight people who actually know how to properly play those characters and not just rely on gimmicks. If there was one thing they could add for Ranked/Casual is the option of a "opponent preference". Basically, you specify which character in particular you'd like to be matched up against. Then the matchmaking system narrows down the pool to people who you have good connections with but gives priority to the players (if any) that have chosen the character you want to face.

It would be a fantastic way to learn how to deal with characters without having it affect matchmaking.

And regarding your podcast Dereck, I felt kinda similarly in SFV for a little while too. Got really obsessed with ranked then I realized that most of the people I win against often only lose because they're unfamiliar with the matchup. So I started playing Casual and Battle Lounge more and even started playing Ranked with characters that I did not feel at all comfortable with, like Nash just cause I wanted to learn more than rank up.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the finals start at 21.30 for me? That would be nice and much better than fucked up time line of last year final that costed me 4 months of sleep.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No release date for Geese yet?

I actually love the system in Tekken 7 that you can play someone who's incredibly better than you, as it allows me to not just learn how to fight characters, but fight people who actually know how to properly play those characters and not just rely on gimmicks. If there was one thing they could add for Ranked/Casual is the option of a "opponent preference". Basically, you specify which character in particular you'd like to be matched up against. Then the matchmaking system narrows down the pool to people who you have good connections with but gives priority to the players (if any) that have chosen the character you want to face.

It would be a fantastic way to learn how to deal with characters without having it affect matchmaking

For casual, sure, for ranked? lol no, people will abuse it and face all the characters which are good matchups for your character

onepiecefan

Oct 29, 2017
Really looking forward to the tonight tournament, it'd be sik if the EU could do something, but I'm not hopeful. Plus a character reveal after it finishes is a given right? I wonder if it'll be a legacy character or guest character.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
psshh, amateurs. The group select is at 1:30 AM Monday for me!
No release date for Geese yet?

For casual, sure, for ranked? lol no, people will abuse it and face all the characters which are good matchups for your character
We know that we're getting DLC news at the TWT finals so it makes sense for the release date to be announced there.

I guess you're right, people would abuse that in ranked. Tbh, I keep forgetting that not everyone has my mentality of using ranked to fight as many good players as possible to learn the matchup lol.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well. Better prepare for an allnighter tbh.

Group selection is at 21.30 our time, then at 22h it starts in earnest. At 2 they'll have an hour break to show DBFZ, then top 8 starts at 3am.

What? Fuck that. Last time I stayed up all night by sheer willpower until 10 the next day. Sleep routine completely destroyed, strange psychosis-depression crawled in later. I pulled myself together just before May.

No way I'm going through that again.

Organizers don't give a single shit about people in different time zones.

ZKR8hUj.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought I could just stay up late and catch most of it, but apparently it starts at about 10pm over here and goes all the way to 7am. Atleast they make watching the archive on Twitch easy.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Are we all in agreement that Kazuya is the worst Mishima strictly in terms of his tools?

Seems like even in Tekken 7 he is lacking a balance of effective tools for every situation. Mid and low pokes still weak. Lack of a variety of effective evasive/crushing/panic moves. I know Kazuya has always been lacking in this but lately its become all the more apparent because DJ and Heihachi have everything he doesnt.

I feel like playing Kazuya, you have to rely almost entirely on hellsweep mixups for pressure, and block punishing, whiff punishing with EWGF, ducking highs and punishing them (wr 1,2), and counterhits (df2). That said, when you play a Kaz who makes good reads, and can punish everything optimally, its rough.

His wall carry combo is ridiculous in this game though but you have to work so hard to get it. He seems like he leans towards being one dimensionally defensive, while the other Mishimas have far better options for safe offense and general shenanigans.

:(

I already wrote about this a lot on the old forum but...

They removed his 7 moves from tag2 and ruined another 3. 10 moves in the trash.

His df+1 mixup extensions and frame trap is gone. df+1,4 was a fairy low dmg 15 frame launcher that was logical for online play where electric block punish was near impossible. Extensions of df1 were: 4 (high, launcher, disadvantage on block)), 2 (high +1 on block), f+2 (mid knockdown, punishable.) Mixing them up was the key. Now his extensions are 2 (mid punishable), f+2(mid, punishable), 4 (high, no launch, only frame advantage on hit, disadvantage on block). Any mixup is gone and opponent only needs to block high because Kaz will be either punishable or at disadvantage. Mindless.

Uf+4,4 staggers on block. It was always launch punishable but in Tag2 you could do further spins. The point was if you guessed right that opponent would block uf+4,4 and you did uf+4,4,4 impatient opponent would get hit by third hit. It was a tool that only saved kaz just a little bit because it wasn't hit confirm and all the kicks were launch punishable. You had to make opponent hesitate for a second and think whenever it's gonna be 2 or 3 kicks. Now it's gone and uf+4,4 means death for Kaz, always.

b+3,1,4,1 now is blockable even if 4 hits and Kaz is at -14. 4 parryable like always. Before string hit full if first 1 was ch. Nope, doesn't work. You can only do low extension b+3,1,4,3 for almost no damage.

F+1+2 lost it's hit confirm extension f+2 that he had since Tekken 4! They reverted the move to Tag1 debut. Moronic.
Extension was -13 but could save kaz from launch. Now it's -16 and always launch punishable.

b+4,1 was a very solid 15 frame punish where df+1,4 didn't reach. Gone.

Double backfist is gone. bb+2,2 in T6 was badass because on ch gave a solid combo. In Tag2 (u+2,2) no more, only 2 guaranteed hits on ch, but it was delayable. Removed.

Kaz had 2,2 high mid -10 and 2,4 high, high (safe). 2,4 is gone.

1+2 gave far fallback slow knockdown for oki options. Not anymore.

Thunder god fist extensions gone Tgf still launch punishable you can't even attempt to try to save him a little with tgf 3 or tgf 4. Opponent knows no kicks will come out so launch punish every time.

Mishimastar who's responsible for gameplay system could be blamed and likely he took much of his attention towards Mishimas since he always mained them. When you see his Tekken 6 matches he played Kazuya basically using only electrics, hellsweep, df+2 and f+4. In T7 we have buffed Electrics, buffed df+2 and removed any other tool that he didn't use with no care that it kills Kazs versatility, options and tools other players could have used. So it's probably on him and anyone else who added to the issue. ("Nerf Kaz!" /angryface)

I say it again Kaz is barebones and primitive in T7. He can deal damage off of electrics or df+2 and his f,f+4 use useful but it was necessary in T7 system where oki refloats are gone, his rage drive hits big but the command is stupidly difficult for someone who can only play with his thumb on a pad....and that's it. They fucked over Kaz hard and didn't even call him back after.

VmOj7Zq.gif

I still prefer playing Kazuya over other Mishimas but only because it's Kazuya. I dig the character since the beginning of Tekken. Devil Jin and Heihachi in T7 eat him alive because they actually have options to surprise opponents and make them think twice. Only advantage Kaz has and had for last 18 years is this:

gQ6p6r5.gif

Btw since this intro I've been waiting for the ability to rip Jack apart with df+2 like this if df+2 was the last move that finishes him. Wouldn't that be awesome?

As someone who doesn't (can't) wave dash (which means you can visually see my character move as I do the hell sweep input, too) or EWFG, this explains why I've dropped Kaz altogether. I also had an affinity for him since Tekken 1.

I used to think I could circumvent my inability to EWFG from standstill like I see all the other Mishima players do by using his other tools.

But the joke is on me: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "OTHER TOOLS???"

I get more mad at win-quitters than rage-quitters. Sadly, only one in maybe five people on ranked are willing to go for that long set.

People are trying way to hard to maintain their virtual honor and they think that silly little rank means somethings. You shouldn't be afraid of demotion and you shouldn't feel proud of a promotion. Always look ahead and find the next fight.

People who don't rematch haven't figured out yet how to get better at the game. It should be mentioned that if you are unlucky, you get a bunch of people who have IRL stuff to see to. I sometimes play T7 at work, lol

When I want to "get better" at the game, I'm in practice mode or playing unranked.

When I'm playing ranked, gaining ranked is all that matters.

He's still tied with Eddy and Josie for the best WS punisher in the game at least?

It frustrates me that the only way to punish Alisa's hopkick with Asuka is with WS+2. I wish she had something like Ling's WS+4. Asuka's WS+3 is too slow.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When I want to "get better" at the game, I'm in practice mode or playing unranked.

When I'm playing ranked, gaining ranked is all that matters.

Depends on your attitude. Ranked is the best place to play people who do everything in order to win, which means that it's the best place to get used to all kinds of gimmicks and setups.

And yeah Europe isn't the best place for these kinds of events :p

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
ws2,1 is about average damage for a 13f ws punish, it's fine. Also leaves her at +9, which is quite good.

I guess...I probably think of it as weak because the rest of my roster arguably has the best WS arsenals in the game (Kaz, Ling, Raven). Comparably, Asuka's does not have that OOMPH.

Depends on your attitude. Ranked is the best place to play people who do everything in order to win, which means that it's the best place to get used to all kinds of gimmicks and setups.

And yeah Europe isn't the best place for these kinds of events :p

I mean, yeah. You play to win the game. That's one of the reasons you don't get long "deathmatches" in ranked. Ain't nobody trying to get "downloaded," so you get your win and dip. OR, why get beat by a character you don't know and take another loss trying to learn. Nah, you do that in unranked.

Like, how many times can I do b+2, 2 with Ling to finish a round before my opponent catches on and ducks? And if I play against someone who ducks it the first time, or worse, low parries or "dickpunches" (because at least if they duck I can just b+2 and launch them with 4), then no, I'm not interested in trying to beat someone who *knows* all the tricks.

I'm trying to acquire rank. It might not mean anything to you, but ranked exists as "internet bragging rights." Not everyone can be like Derek and go play, let alone win, at local tournaments. So online rank is all a lot of us have to go by.

Rooting for Tissuemon for the TWT finals. wanna see my girl Master Raven take it all

This is the first time I've seen anyone here talk about playing Raven. Where you been?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Over hour late? Damn. At least this stream reminded me how good Tekken music is.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Been lurking mostly, I mained Raven since his inclusion in T5 so naturally moved over to Master Raven for T7. made it all the way to Savior with her but currently demoted down to Vanquisher

Are you on PC? I'd like to see what kind of trickery a high level Raven does.

All Ravens I've encountered are bad.

Speaking of being bad, over the past 12 hours I've beaten literally everyone I encountered (well except that one Josie who kept backdash canceling and would never attack). Back up to Jugg.

I'd keep going but the wife will be home soon >_>
pNMJr6o.jpg

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not all that enthusiastic about Noctis... would have preferred a hand to hand combat character from FF like Zell or Tifa. But I have to respect the hustle.

Cosmic Forge

Oct 28, 2017
Good for Qudans. Always great to see an old vet come outta retirement and show them youngin's how things are done. Plus that Mishima battle vs JDCR brought back about every nostalgia feels you can imagine, going back to TTT1 days. Well done all around.

Oh and, fuck NoctASS. That is all.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Cross posting from the TWT finals thread since Im a qudans fanboy :P

In honor of Qudans, I'm gonna post some of my favorite matches of him

The Qudans Clutch Gene at its finest. This was the match I saw 10 years ago and got me inspired to try learning how to play Tekken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgX8dOffN8&

Already posted earlier but the first time Qudan's devil jin played against young JDCR's heihachi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCkOsHZ087o

One of the matches in the First to 50 Wins he had against Mainstreet Ryu, Japan's #1 tekken player at the time. He got Mainstreet so shook at one point that HE LANDED THE DEVIL JIN LASER AGAINST HIM!

And another match from the First to 50 wins against Mainstreet Ryu. He beats japan's number 1 player in under a minute!

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the TWT finals thread since Im a qudans fanboy :P

In honor of Qudans, I'm gonna post some of my favorite matches of him

The Qudans Clutch Gene at its finest. This was the match I saw 10 years ago and got me inspired to try learning how to play Tekken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgX8dOffN8&

Already posted earlier but the first time Qudan's devil jin played against young JDCR's heihachi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCkOsHZ087o

One of the matches in the First to 50 Wins he had against Mainstreet Ryu, Japan's #1 tekken player at the time. He got Mainstreet so shook at one point that HE LANDED THE DEVIL JIN LASER AGAINST HIM!

This tweet might bring a tear to your eye: