• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sometimes, when I watch my own gameplay it's a bit disheartening to see how I actually play versus how I would want to play in my mind.

Watching good players play the game on YouTube and Twitch is cool but it often does me a disservice, a lot of great players who play patient and don't get hit by shit, are actually under a lot of pressure. They're at a tournament, surrounded by people yelling, commentators talking in the background, in public in front of an audience, and their opponent is really good and is trying to kill them, it's just a lot.

I streamed 7 hours of Tekken within two days and I was just humbled by the entire experience, a lot of the time I feel like I'm much worse than think or thought that I was, but that may be some kind of confirmation bias. Speaking on this game specifically, I hadn't played Tekken 7 online for maybe half a year. In that time I was playing offline Tekken 7 casuals and playing Tag 2 ranked on PS3. Came back to the game and had a rude awakening.

Here's some stuff:

I got bopped in a tournament about 2 weeks ago, and when I say that I think I made top 5 or top 4, probably even lower than that. After the tournament I was so tired I just immediately went home after. Tournaments are hard work, don't know how people do it.

Watching yourself play is hard. Like... really hard. Especially watching an Online match where a lot more mistakes happen. You see a situation that you KNOW how to avoid, but you haven't reacted properly or your execution was off.

I tried sharing my gameplay in the Hwoarang discord some time ago and people were giving me advice and pointers. The worst thing that someone said to me was "Don't worry, that happens to a lot of newer Hwoarang players"...
I think what really helped me is realizing that I will never be able to compete on a higher level, so I started improving at my own pace. I have a few friends who have started playing the game with T7 that are already a lot better than me. One of them even gets to top 32 in tournaments consistently.

I really like going to tournaments though. Meeting old friends, getting to know new people. I don't get very far though, so I usually don't feel tired from playing...

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the sidestep cancel method is extremely useful. It's a lot better than holding back or not moving at all. The plus side is that sometimes you'll even evade linear moves since a lot of moves are. You'll also develop the feel and cadence for the game's sidestep mechanic. I still find myself doing this when up close or immediately after blocking, mostly just sidestepping then backdashing to make the opponent whiff a linear move and since most homing moves are relatively slower, you won't get clipped by them either.

Yeah, I recommend it to newer players, just so they can start at least thinking in terms of Tekken movement without needing to spend a bunch of time labbing. Like you said, it's a lot better than nothing, and you can always upgrade to real KBD later. I can't imagine how intimidating Tekken would be if you're a new player and you're thinking you need to implement all this advanced, hard stuff just to get started.

Watching yourself play is hard. Like... really hard. Especially watching an Online match where a lot more mistakes happen. You see a situation that you KNOW how to avoid, but you haven't reacted properly or your execution was off.

I tried sharing my gameplay in the Hwoarang discord some time ago and people were giving me advice and pointers. The worst thing that someone said to me was "Don't worry, that happens to a lot of newer Hwoarang players"...
I think what really helped me is realizing that I will never be able to compete on a higher level, so I started improving at my own pace. I have a few friends who have started playing the game with T7 that are already a lot better than me. One of them even gets to top 32 in tournaments consistently.

I really like going to tournaments though. Meeting old friends, getting to know new people. I don't get very far though, so I usually don't feel tired from playing...

It's especially hard because it seems like most online feedback is so negative. I made the mistake of going into the Julia discord to see what people said about my Evo match, and it was so negative I wanted to just hide and never come back, heh. It's so easy to criticize gameplay when you're not the one actually there and under the pressure of the situation.

I'm in the same situation as you, though, with finally being content having accepted that at this point in my life, I'm just not going to be a strong player again. It was hard for me 10 years ago when I still had expectations for myself as a Soul Calibur player - I'd be really bummed out about a bad tournament performance and it would stay with me for awhile. Now that I've pretty well accepted where I am and don't bring in other people's expectations, tournaments have been a lot more enjoyable. I can hang out with friends, enjoy the experience, and not feel too bad even if I don't do well.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

Check your PMs.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Personal thoughts

- pakistani tekken tournaments, or pakistanis doing FT5s against each other is incredibly boring, interesting how I have no desire to watch them unless they are playing overseas
- tekken 7 ranked is dying, i'm seeing a lot of "reset rank" streams because everyone is tekken god prime, though that's not new
- we can thank COVID-19 for ruining many potential future tournaments, that sucks for all of us
- i've plateaued in tekken pretty hard and i'm a scrub
- my favorite thing about tekken 7 is negan
- speedkicks hate streamed tekken 7 and the entire twitch chat was a troll filled dumpster fire of self-aware nerds trashing the game, (i was in the chat), probably the best stream i've seen since nyc fab used to stream
- the allure of playing tag 2 is gone and it doesn't matter to me anymore
- a lot of people are looking for tekken 8 announcements

- this:

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The Leroy debacle coupled with the neverending matchmaking time to have a connexion OK at best killed my interest, especially after experiencing a godlike netcode with Garou. I may be done until the sequel... :(

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking I'd get to go to Combo Breaker as consolation for Coronavirus cancelling my trip to Japan, but feels like Coronavirus is going to cancel Combo Breaker too. Ugh.

I'm kind of at the point now where if I'm not practicing for a tournament, I'm not motivated to play. Certainly have no interest in ranked.

Oct 27, 2017
All I request from a Tekken 8...

Legacy Yoshi skins.

I want them all with modern visuals (but with restraint. I don't need extra flowing contraptions added to every fucking outfit!).

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
ESbzjPaUYAEgUUN

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
All I request from a Tekken 8...

Legacy Yoshi skins.

I want them all with modern visuals (but with restraint. I don't need extra flowing contraptions added to every fucking outfit!).
I'm really surprised by just how many legacy skins from most characters have not been included in Tekken 7. What's even more surprising is that they put "profile pictures" with certain costumes in the game but not the actual costume to match?

I prefer to not have to resort to devianart mods of old costumes of mods that only I can see anyway.

ddnt4pk-dc224d38-68bb-4c6f-aaca-1444c171d880.png

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised by just how many legacy skins from most characters have not been included in Tekken 7. What's even more surprising is that they put "profile pictures" with certain costumes in the game but not the actual costume to match?

I prefer to not have to resort to devianart mods of old costumes of mods that only I can see anyway.

ddnt4pk-dc224d38-68bb-4c6f-aaca-1444c171d880.png
Tag 2 seemed like the perfect game to capitalize on legacy items/costumes as it was supposed to be a celebration of the series. 7 could have done it with the advent of newer consoles and dlc/gaas models and it too featuring other legacy content (videos, art, music).

Oh well. I only nitpick because I trust the gameplay will be fine.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow michael murray got his account suspended?

Beyond that, it's worrying that he'd tweet something so stupid about a game he's producing. I'm bad at Tekken and even I know that's a really stupid thing to say.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this dude seems uniquely unsuited to the job he's somehow been given, probably because Harada likes him or something

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I do approve of making movement irrelevant though, since I'm bad at it. Please proceed!

Rajang

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
T7 already had restricted movement compared to Tag 2 and Mishimastar been hitting that bong water since S2 patch.

T7: Let's nerf movement brehs
T7 S2: Lets buff electric homing properties brehs
T7 S3: Lets buff electric whiff recovery brehs
T7 S3: Lets buff hellsweep homing properties brehs

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
T7 already had restricted movement compared to Tag 2 and Mishimastar been hitting that bong water since S2 patch.

T7: Let's nerf movement brehs
T7 S2: Lets buff electric homing properties brehs
T7 S3: Lets buff electric whiff recovery brehs
T7 S3: Lets buff hellsweep homing properties brehs
This shouldn't be a surprise, but older players who say things like "suck it up, this is nothing new" are the type of people I dislike interacting with. You already know what I'm talking about.

All hail Glaciating and Speedkicks' twitter accounts.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
That was two years ago. Note: Gouki can still do this today. With proper location on stage and full meter, 2D characters can be damage monsters (Eliza as well, and Geese even more).