• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the idea of Tekken is more frustrating the better I get. I've actually wanted to stop playing Tekken more frequently with more things that I learn. I think that initially, the pay off for time spent in the game was astronomical. Now, it seems like the "fun" that I'm receiving isn't out weighing the amount of time I'm putting into the game.

The personal problem I had was being consistently good in public. I don't intentionally try to play on streams, but some people I know only play Tekken when they stream, so it's kind of inevitable. There's too much stuff that I'm required to do in Tekken. The better you get, the more you are exposed to how much more you don't know. People actually expect you to know a whole lot. They expect to at least know how to punish a high amount of moves, but what if I haven't been exposed to this character? Nahmsayin. So the designation, specifically, the arbitrary "Rank" you have, while it looks cool, it also kind of puts a target on your forehead. There are expectations on you. Why care about expectations?

Well I kind of look for validation a lot, there's really no other reason for me to upload videos than to receive validation and feedback.

I personally felt that I shouldn't be playing ranked as a Genbu until I learned how to properly Korean back dash. Why is that important? Well, my movement or lack of movement ends up helping me lose more quickly than before.

I would get clipped by a homing move or by a move when I was clearly blocking. I still go to locals but there is usually always someone better than me.

If I woke up tomorrow and decided to stop playing Tekken, that would kind of suck, but I also think about if it wouldn't suck. Just some thoughts I had. The better you get, it seems like you get the opportunity to stand on new vantage points, only to see how much farther away you are from where you want to get. But where I want to get is....an enigma. It's funny, because you get to where you want to be, but it's never enough, you just want to get to the next level, forever.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I fixed my PC version of Tekken 7 and I can finally get back into things. I've completed all of the story mode and character missions, and will get back into practicing and multiplayer fights.

Also, Derick please stay with us!

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the idea of Tekken is more frustrating the better I get. I've actually wanted to stop playing Tekken more frequently with more things that I learn. I think that initially, the pay off for time spent in the game was astronomical. Now, it seems like the "fun" that I'm receiving isn't out weighing the amount of time I'm putting into the game.

The personal problem I had was being consistently good in public. I don't intentionally try to play on streams, but some people I know only play Tekken when they stream, so it's kind of inevitable. There's too much stuff that I'm required to do in Tekken. The better you get, the more you are exposed to how much more you don't know. People actually expect you to know a whole lot. They expect to at least know how to punish a high amount of moves, but what if I haven't been exposed to this character? Nahmsayin. So the designation, specifically, the arbitrary "Rank" you have, while it looks cool, it also kind of puts a target on your forehead. There are expectations on you. Why care about expectations?

Well I kind of look for validation a lot, there's really no other reason for me to upload videos than to receive validation and feedback.

I personally felt that I shouldn't be playing ranked as a Genbu until I learned how to properly Korean back dash. Why is that important? Well, my movement or lack of movement ends up helping me lose more quickly than before.

I would get clipped by a homing move or by a move when I was clearly blocking. I still go to locals but there is usually always someone better than me.

If I woke up tomorrow and decided to stop playing Tekken, that would kind of suck, but I also think about if it wouldn't suck. Just some thoughts I had. The better you get, it seems like you get the opportunity to stand on new vantage points, only to see how much farther away you are from where you want to get. But where I want to get is....an enigma. It's funny, because you get to where you want to be, but it's never enough, you just want to get to the next level, forever.

I personally believe you can abstract that struggle with anything in life whether it be in getting good at music or programming or dancing or whatever. The second you achieve a level of competency at that certain thing your awareness of the depth also rises and like you eloquently put it: "The better you get, it seems like you get the opportunity to stand on new vantage points, only to see how much farther away you are from where you want to get."

The main question to ask about sticking with Tekken or not is if that journey provided some kind of fulfillment and enjoyment in your life or not?

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I came to a different conclusion than Dereck. When I randomly ran into him when he was up-ranking his Bryan, and I was Jugg-Usurper or something like that (don't remember the character but I YT'd the gameplay), I realized what I had to do to "git gud" and I simply wasn't interested. I had my eyes on Savior, but I'm settling for Vanquisher.

I don't like doing a bunch of save moves like three jabs in a row. I like to throw people. Hit folks with Ling's ss+3, or Kazuya's f, N, d/f+3 from a quarter-screen distance. I want to be able to end Asuka's tooth fairy mixups with the d+4 sweep. When I land Ling's wavecrest, I've noticed that the pros will follow up with a jumping kick. I prefer b+3 because it's stylish.

When I am able to do these things, Tekken is fun. That's one of the reasons I switched to Raven, because the only way not to play her stylishly is to wave dash mixup ws+2 and d, d/f+3+4. Ling is also fun, as Cali rolls, AOP and RD puts the fear of God into folks.

Was playing against these Noctis players it was like, poke, poke, poke, poke, poke, and I'm like MAN COME HERE AND GET THROWN! Then you watch the pros and they make a point to say "he didn't get the throw break" because when you get to a certain level, throws are not supposed to be viable.

Yeah, I'm not interested in that. I'll play Tekken as a casual. After watching JDCR or Knee or whoever it was beat that guy with 1, 2, or 2,1 or whatever that command with Gigas was? Nah, not for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Tekken 4 had alot of new tech to test for future Tekkens

You don't have the option not to be a casual in Tekken

I miss Tekken 4 so much. All the people who played it competitively *hated* the changes. I loved them. At the time, I was playing like Power Stone 2, and I was like "Hey! Uneven surfaces! Breakable terrain!!!"

But that's what I mean by casual. Folks like Dereck play to be competitive. Win tournaments. Commit frame data to memory. That kind of stuff.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
The main question to ask about sticking with Tekken or not is if that journey provided some kind of fulfillment and enjoyment in your life or not?
I said earlier, there's diminishing returns. I think if my skill level at the game was lower I would probably be able to enjoy the game more, you can make of that however you will, because it's a random take.

I think when I hear people tell me "that I'm good", or "that I should compete", I tend to think that I should probably do that because it's something I ought to do. I had someone offer to pay for my trip to Strong Style this year, back in the day, I was recruited to ITS, back before ITS got really big.

In my first few tournaments, I got really nervous and down on myself for not performing well enough to the standard that I thought I should have. "If I got invited to a clan, and I can't perform, then I'm wasting the clan's time".

Keep in mind this was like 2 years ago and this isn't how I'm thinking about this situation now.

Constantly exposing myself to people who are better, due to having a wide access of resources I think in a way, makes the whole process a lot more stressful than it has any business being. I think that being good at a video game is meaningless unless you enjoy playing that game. My thing with Tekken is that I enjoy playing the game because I get to constantly learn. If I stayed at the skill level I'm at for the next year, I wouldn't enjoy playing.

Me enjoying Tekken is directly contingent with being able to see some kind of progress. This entire time, I have always made progress, it's just that the progress has gone from large to gradual to infinitesimal. The amount of time I have to spend to get to where I want to get wouldn't be a problem if that time required was just me enjoying myself. I've had plenty of conversations about this with av2k, and I think he has a point.

It also has a lot to do with social pressure and self-doubt. I don't think people really care about me playing Tekken, or so I like to think. I also like to think that the most of what I'm feeling is self-inflicted high expectations and people don't give a shit either way. Again, I think that Tekken is incredible but it's also a game where, in the context of the player being singularly interested in constantly improving, it's a bit unforgiving, but that quality of the game can be it's worst and best quality.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah man. I came to grips with the diminishing returns of Tekken years ago lol. I still have goals I intend to reach, but the endless pursuit of "getting better" was never something I signed up for. My primary motivation for going all in on fighting games in 2011 was to "get good enough to win at least half the time, in every fighting game". I eventually dialed that down to "ONE game", and after a year of grind that one game became Tekken. And after....four years of playing TTT2, I hit that goal. 50%! Seems wack right? Nah, I was good.

So here I am, now a 5+ year veteran of Tekken, with a winrate around 60%. My deficiency is the complete opposite of Dereck's. I know a lot of things about a lot of characters, I know how to put in the practice to fill in those knowledge gaps, and my technique is good enough to do what I want with my favorite characters. But the playing the game part, the "fundamentals", the ability to see and counter strategies on the fly, is my weakness. I'm slow to adapt, and FT2 tournament style really doesn't suit the way I like to play the game. Of course, all of these things can be fixed by playing the game more, because they are really things that can only be overcome with thoughtful experience. But the one thing I cannot do at this stage in my life is play more. I neglected a lot of important things in my life for the sake of Tekken, and I just can't do that anymore to the same degree.

There is some frustration that comes along with that, but I'm actually content with my skill level at this time. I'm good enough to extract fun from the game by playing opponents at almost any skill level (exception being the very top and the very bottom). I'm not quitting Tekken or giving up on getting better, nothing drastic like that. But improvement will come at my own pace and on my own time. Fun is what I'm here for, helping others level up is what I'm here for, and chilling with the community is what I'm here for.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I started playing Tekken 4 years ago. I gave up on ever competing on a higher level. I still have a lot to improve on and I have a vague idea on how to do that, but the amount of time I have to put in to put those ideas into practice is frustratingly high. I'm not content with the level I play at right now but I'm slowly but surely getting to it. What I want to accomplish is being able to give people a run for their money, regardless of their level. I'm still getting destroyed 15-0 by people that are better than me.

I have a local community that I like to spend time with, not just for Tekken but because of the friendship that has developed over time. I'm more excited about meeting people when there's a tournament in my area than I am about playing the actual game. The German community actually has a lot of cool people.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I have two characters in orange ranks, and I can't low parry.

Then I dust off my Marauder-level Kaz and get low-parried after my first d/b+3 by a Grand Master.

FML.
Learn to low parry it's ten times better compared to before since you can screw attack unlike low parries when we had bound
You are leaving alot of dmg on the table

----

Getting on Dereck and his playsyle and why he plays.
Seems like i am the opposite. I jst play for fun and not to push myself to improve and getting better being the fun.
Since i enjoy the base game in itself i got better over the years by simply putting in time and having fun

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
After SC it'll be Tekken X SF
Just look at how good Akumer fit in a 3D game like this. Great test. Just release the full game now. And no Ibuki or Sakura pls

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Ibuki I get, but why not Sakura? She's no longer a schoolgirl and her gameplay isn't bullshit like Ibuki's.
Never liked her and her type
The young,good neutral selection female fighter who's alittle tomboyish and innocent. Usually short hair. Her,Asuka,May etc etc
I f i hated on Sakura for being a shoto i'd be hating on half the SF4 cast

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Learn to low parry it's ten times better compared to before since you can screw attack unlike low parries when we had bound
You are leaving alot of dmg on the table

----

Getting on Dereck and his playsyle and why he plays.
Seems like i am the opposite. I jst play for fun and not to push myself to improve and getting better being the fun.
Since i enjoy the base game in itself i got better over the years by simply putting in time and having fun

I'm doing well just anticipating to block Dragunov's d+2, let alone snake edge-type moves.

Low parries??? Maybe in Tekken 8, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
you are gonna be eating drag d2s for the rest of your life but something as slow as snake edge you can practice vs

Perhaps. But right now it's the other way around. I eat slow sweeps from Lili, Katarina, Bryan, and block the faster stuff like Bryan's d+2 in "anticipation."

I wish I could block Alisa's sweep or Jin's. Those are pretty fast.

Practice? Nah, I don't have time for the lab anymore. Unless I'm picking up another character, I'm learning from the School of Hard Knocks.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps. But right now it's the other way around. I eat slow sweeps from Lili, Katarina, Bryan, and block the faster stuff like Bryan's d+2 in "anticipation."

I wish I could block Alisa's sweep or Jin's. Those are pretty fast.

Practice? Nah, I don't have time for the lab anymore. Unless I'm picking up another character, I'm learning from the School of Hard Knocks.
Online it might be harder to react
If someone uses big sweeps on you like that then expect them. Some people just assume you'll block such a big thing

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just block and punish a sweep hard once and your opponent will be afraid to use it for the reat of the set. Don't block it and your opponent will never stop.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Just block and punish a sweep hard once and your opponent will be afraid to use it for the reat of the set. Don't block it and your opponent will never stop.
*unless it's numb
i ain't ever scared for my sweeps getting blocked

giphy.gif

Nuszka

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting discussion. I see the point of diminishing returns, I have been playing tekken for over 20 years , seriously from tag1 and there was a stage during t5 vanilla time where I hit a wall, back then I still used to live in my home country and I loved meeting people at locals ( tekken was popular in Poland , way more the sf I'd say) , had to decide if I want to get better spending more time playing, improving, competing ( by that I mean the prize would be a six pack ;) ) at locals or actually studying and getting a degree. When real life hits you all you can do is adjust and just enjoy what you love from time to time. Only a small percentage is able to make a living out of that hobby. Now I'm working about 40 h a week , playing tekken as much as I can, I still have the legacy skill I'd say, movement , adjusting to opponent, etc but my biggest downfall right now is the only thing that can be fixed by time, and that is knowledge, especially when you get to the deeper intricacies of certain moves in specific situations. So sometimes you can see me commenting , or more complaining about the rooster size ;)
One thing I know , no matter what , I'll be playing tekken as long as I don't get arthritis :)

Last edited:

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'm not content with the level I play at right now but I'm slowly but surely getting to it. What I want to accomplish is being able to give people a run for their money, regardless of their level. I'm still getting destroyed 15-0 by people that are better than me.

I kinda feel the same. It's not that i haven't made progress over the past year with T7, but i haven't stopped being a speedbump for people better than me and that i don't like.

I feel like i'm running in place a bit right now. Not entirely sure what to work on. Yeah, my execution could be better. Movement too. There's some crap i deal with poorly and i get tilted too easily. Those I could put some effort into probably. But i think more importantly i need to make better decisions, notice tendencies faster. It's hard to improve the mental side and there's not really a plan for it.

But in the end playing Tekken or other fighting games is a hobby and not work. I do want to get better, but i play because i'm having fun. Maybe i won't ever be really good at Tekken 7. Maybe SC6 and Tekken 8 and whatever else will roll around and i'll have to concede that i'll never be good enough at anything. But i'll put some effort in at least, because i'll have a good time doing it.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just taking the easy route out. Soul Calibur. But no, I can't do high competitive Tekken games anymore. Real life and crap. And there's other things out or coming soon I rather spend my time with. I think in the end, I've become more of the spectator of fighting games cause they sure as hell are a lot of fun to watch. I've become my own enemy.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Um this is probably a bad time to ask but, I'm thinking of getting the Season Pass using the 20 percent off coupon but I'm curious about what the contents are. Does it include the extra stage and Tekken Bowl DLC that's sold on the store separately?

Cosmic Forge

Oct 28, 2017
All this talk about pressure has me kinda sad. I've been playing the series since Tekken 2 arcades, competing during the TTT1-T5 era, skipped DR, 6, and part of the Tag 2 reign, and realized something. I "capped out" in skill and ability a long time ago, and still have just as many bad habits now as I did then. And for some reason, it rarely bothers me. I hit a ceiling, and didn't care.

So it makes me kinda sad to see folks feeling that negative pressure to live up to expectations because of things like rank. Imagine playing in a time with no online whatsoever, so the only measure of success was how often you went to locals and competed. Then when another era comes along, because nothing was recorded, streamed, watched live, or written down really... all of that evidence of progress is erased.

When all you had was stories. Like oral traditions passed down. You only knew of legends because of what was spoken about them at gatherings, and of course whatever you witnessed first hand. All that seems gone now, and it's replaced by total blinding exposure, to the point of altering one's priorities so much that just playing the game isn't fun anymore.

Can't imagine it. Kinda wish the younger guys could have experienced the golden ages of Tekken before all this superficial shit came along.

Anyhow, sorry for the old man nostalgia trip. Wish I had a more positive message here.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wish I could have experienced the T5 DR days. That's when the tournaments in my area were really big and you even had Koreans come over to compete. People from that time are called "old school" veterans in the German community.

I have fun with the game. I have fun learning new things. But whenever I start comparing myself to people that started at around the same time that I did (2014 by the way), it's frustrating how much better they've become in that time.

Um this is probably a bad time to ask but, I'm thinking of getting the Season Pass using the 20 percent off coupon but I'm curious about what the contents are. Does it include the extra stage and Tekken Bowl DLC that's sold on the store separately?

The Season Pass includes three DLCs:
DLC 1: Bowling + swimsuit costumes
DLC 2: Geese Howard + Howard Estate
DLC 3: Noctis + Hammerhead

Oct 25, 2017
I played an Alisa yesterday that did the launcher that puts you into crouch over and over. I must've punished the first 5 or 6 but she never stopped doing them and obviously it worked a few times. So yeah, not necessarily lol

edit: Wait, that name seems familiar, we've totally played before.

Last edited:

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played an Alisa yesterday that did the launcher that puts you into crouch over and over. I must've punished the first 5 or 6 but she never stopped doing them and obviously it worked a few times. So yeah, not necessarily lol

edit: Wait, that name seems familiar, we've totally played before.

Yeah, I guess this doesn't apply to 90% of the Online community lol.

Do you live in EU? I'm called sasuke_91 on Steam, UchihaSasuke_91 on PS4.

It's nice how you assume online warriors plan so far ahead.

See above :p

How many times did i bob roll into low slide on yall?
Then do the ass attack

I mean yeah, that's a mixup. You can't react to any of the options so you have to guess. Snake Edge on the other hand...

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. Sorry for the horrible performance, especially since I haven't played Doomshine in ages. I also shouldn't play Noctis without warming up first.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about pressure has me kinda sad. I've been playing the series since Tekken 2 arcades, competing during the TTT1-T5 era, skipped DR, 6, and part of the Tag 2 reign, and realized something. I "capped out" in skill and ability a long time ago, and still have just as many bad habits now as I did then. And for some reason, it rarely bothers me. I hit a ceiling, and didn't care.

So it makes me kinda sad to see folks feeling that negative pressure to live up to expectations because of things like rank. Imagine playing in a time with no online whatsoever, so the only measure of success was how often you went to locals and competed. Then when another era comes along, because nothing was recorded, streamed, watched live, or written down really... all of that evidence of progress is erased.

When all you had was stories. Like oral traditions passed down. You only knew of legends because of what was spoken about them at gatherings, and of course whatever you witnessed first hand. All that seems gone now, and it's replaced by total blinding exposure, to the point of altering one's priorities so much that just playing the game isn't fun anymore.

Can't imagine it. Kinda wish the younger guys could have experienced the golden ages of Tekken before all this superficial shit came along.

Anyhow, sorry for the old man nostalgia trip. Wish I had a more positive message here.

Yeah, it's weird to think about having to deal with performance pressure during casuals. Those endless sessions with the crew were the best part of playing fighters. Thinking of them being streamed and having to worry about hate from stream monsters sounds kind of nightmarish, honestly. Makes me glad I'm old and bad and there are no expectations.

On the other hand, there were a bunch of great tournament matches lost forever because of lack of recording, so there's benefits to both eras. It is kind of sad that for all the traveling, all the tourneys I went to from 2002-2006, I don't think there's 1 second of uploaded footage of any of them. That's a lot of great stuff lost to time.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess this doesn't apply to 90% of the Online community lol.

Do you live in EU? I'm called sasuke_91 on Steam, UchihaSasuke_91 on PS4.

See above :p

I mean yeah, that's a mixup. You can't react to any of the options so you have to guess. Snake Edge on the other hand...

Good games GrayFoxPL and Doomshine. Sorry for the horrible performance, especially since I haven't played Doomshine in ages. I also shouldn't play Noctis without warming up first.
i need to fight your nonctis

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Good games guys. Numb, Squirrel, you guys should have played with us. Would have been like good ol' days.

Sasuke, You didn't do horrible, lol. You just weren't warmed up, I have the same. I can do pretty decent when warmed up. So hard to fight your Hwo with Paul though. I had to poke like a madman because nothing bigger had a chance to get in.

Noctis has full launch against demo man that pushes half screen away - bullshit!

Noctis, you gonna get it one day so bad you wish you never entered Tekken.

BK2gMcx.gif

Still...

Tekken_Tag_Tournament_2_All_Special_Win_Poses_pt_2_2_HD_3.gif

Best friends...forever.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen noctis played outside Aris stream
I'm still asking for nerfs tho

---

we should play sometime

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was impressed by that projectiles speed tbh

It's a nightmare to deal with. If you're already sidestepping you have a chance to make it whiff. Not always though. Still catches sidestep if you try to do it on reaction. Akumer and Goose have nothing on it, their laughable fireballs are 6 times slower. You have to keep blocking even from full screen because it can come at any time.

I expect this guy as next T7 guest character.

doom_png_21.png

10 frame Shotgun blast and unblockable heat seeking rocket launcher. Let's go all out.