• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked the snk section where they kept making fun of how many movies he makes.
Im not gonna sit here and admit how many of his movies i watched. even the latest awful ones

Same here. I must watch Nick. You've seen Tokarev aka Rage? He looked like a bad wax figure lookalike in this. Somewhere through 2016 2017 dude seemed like he had plastic surgery gone wrong, face looked really odd. Still made 50 movies. In 2018 he's starting to look good again, beard saves him.

I recommend everyone watch Dog Eat Dog. Unintentionally hilarious movie. He and Willem Defoe are so fucked up in this. XD

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
/fickle basket ball fan logic
/fickle sports fan logic

Since Qudans was beaten by LowHigh at Evo Japan 2018, and since Qudans has beaten JDCR twice, and since LowHigh lost to an American player at Final Round, and since JDCR has beaten Chanel, and since Knee has beaten JDCR and Saint, and since Book has beaten Knee....

Book is the best Tekken player in the world at this very moment.

Oct 27, 2017
I know some of you here like live action fighting as well. Would recommend checking out Into the Badlands as long as gore isn't an issue for you. It's on Netflix. The widow is amazing in this show. Some really greatly choreographed scenes imo.

Cosmic Forge

Oct 28, 2017
Noctis has full launch against demo man that pushes half screen away - bullshit!

Noctis, you gonna get it one day so bad you wish you never entered Tekken.
That damn d/f+2 of his, is like his own personal one hit wonder. So many characters can't get a proper punish on demo man, DF, Kuma's f,f+2, Hei's f,f+2, Yoshi's CD+1 max range...

But this clown can just press d/f+2 like it's w/e bro and get a full launch. WTF.

Luckily I play a character that can punish his projectiles and like 15 other moves that are otherwise "safe". So... that's a trade I can live with. But still...

BK2gMcx.gif

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That damn d/f+2 of his, is like his own personal one hit wonder. So many characters can't get a proper punish on demo man, DF, Kuma's f,f+2, Hei's f,f+2, Yoshi's CD+1 max range...

But this clown can just press d/f+2 like it's w/e bro and get a full launch. WTF.

Luckily I play a character that can punish his projectiles and like 15 other moves that are otherwise "safe". So... that's a trade I can live with. But still...

BK2gMcx.gif

Yeah and that launcher of his crushes highs, plus he has lightning screw that is safer than Lars's.

His far and mid range game is insane. He's not so good up close.

I learned how to beat Geese I learn Noctis. The huge problem is I can't get any matchnaking matches since the new online patch with Noctis. Yesterday was depressing when I got few fights on many hours of trying.

Deleted member 19761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Noctis pulled me back in.

The struggle to win with Lee continues. Also fuck King. What a stupid character, with the throw break system in Tekken it's just not fun to play against him.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Noctis pulled me back in.

The struggle to win with Lee continues. Also fuck King. What a stupid character, with the throw break system in Tekken it's just not fun to play against him.

Thankfully at least King wasn't butchered by T7 throw nerf.

Only King and few other characters throw game hasn't become useless. Decision to make regular throws break with 1 or 2 is stupid to the core. We basically got most of the roster that has one 1+2 throw because other two don't count since everyone can mash any jabs to break them any time. Not to mention the throw break window is huge, same as Tekken Revolution, but there they kept the separate 1 and 2 breaks. They should've leave it like that, large break window that allows to break throw online is actually fair. Taking out 2 separate normal throw breaks is just artificial handicap against character's that have special 1 and 2 throws. And it's not like these characters striking game is weaker for that.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I enjoy videos like these.

#BuffLars

He actually did a decent job of articulating my thoughts on the character, his offense is just not up to par. His block and whiff punishment is still great but he can't enforce particularly damaging mixups or poke you to death or even force you to hit a button and punish you with a well timed CH tool or sidestep.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
#BuffLars

He actually did a decent job of articulating my thoughts on the character, his offense is just not up to par. His block and whiff punishment is still great but he can't enforce particularly damaging mixups or poke you to death or even force you to hit a button and punish you with a well timed CH tool or sidestep.
Dunno, his poking game is pretty decent and he still can do SS Arc Blast decently effective. Df2 is a major blow and for me the worst is enforced auto stance. In previous games you could do f2,1 f1,2 and f1,2,3 and do nothing. Oponnent could not know if you'll enter a stance or not, making him hesitate. Now he knows and Lars goes into suicide mode.

Cosmic Forge

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and that launcher of his crushes highs, plus he has lightning screw that is safer than Lars's.

His far and mid range game is insane. He's not so good up close.

I learned how to beat Geese I learn Noctis. The huge problem is I can't get any matchnaking matches since the new online patch with Noctis. Yesterday was depressing when I got few fights on many hours of trying.
Lars players have to be especially salty.

This patch definitely borked online. Only thing that worked for me on Steam was to restart Tekken and make sure there weren't any additional Tekken processes in Task Manager. That mostly fixed it.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully at least King wasn't butchered by T7 throw nerf.

Only King and few other characters throw game hasn't become useless. Decision to make regular throws break with 1 or 2 is stupid to the core. We basically got most of the roster that has one 1+2 throw because other two don't count since everyone can mash any jabs to break them any time. Not to mention the throw break window is huge, same as Tekken Revolution, but there they kept the separate 1 and 2 breaks. They should've leave it like that, large break window that allows to break throw online is actually fair. Taking out 2 separate normal throw breaks is just artificial handicap against character's that have special 1 and 2 throws. And it's not like these characters striking game is weaker for that.

Totally agreed, terrible design decision that just makes the throw game less interacting. I guess the point is to make Tekken easier, but I've never heard anyone be like "I'd love to play Tekken, but breaking normal throws is just too hard, so I'm out!". It's just silly.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Noctis launch punishes Heihachi's ff+2. Yes, move that is basically safe.

s9GOcnr.gif

I think those long range launch punishes are programed individually, this launcher of his doesn't have that insane range when done against normal standing situation.

GGs Doomshine.

Starting to get a hang on how to fight Noctis. Holy deathfist ftw.

Still have no idea how to deal with this jumping sword launcher that is so + on block. Tried to sidestep left and right many times, still got hit. I know I can jab him out of air, but his other launcher crushes jabs easily.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I'm just learning a bit more about the game and it's really nice when there's a video that manages to explain a new concept.

I just found this:

...and suddenly I have a bit more clarity.

I gave it 4 minutes of my time.

Maybe he has sound advice, but as a Ling player, using AOP tools to crush throws and highs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> habitually ducking under throws and highs like a generic Tekken player. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't be playing Ling.

I think I'd have to hear it from someone who didn't "Don't use AOP." Like, that's exactly what it's for. AOP 1+2 in particular.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe he has sound advice, but as a Ling player, using AOP tools to crush throws and highs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> habitually ducking under throws and highs like a generic Tekken player. If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't be playing Ling.

I think I'd have to hear it from someone who didn't "Don't use AOP." Like, that's exactly what it's for. AOP 1+2 in particular.

His point is, relying solely on gimmicks for defense will leave you exposed when a player doesn't fall for the gimmicks. So for a learning Tekken player, it's better to learn how to use proper defense instead of gimmicks first. Obviously Ling players use AOP for evasive maneuvers, but the top players all have a foundation of solid defense to go along with any special advantages their character gives them.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just saw this up for preorder:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Tekken-C...ty-20&linkId=33e0e0031f09a47ad8ebf3a6f1747bed

Thinking about it... but I doubt it'll have something new that I haven't seen before. There are still some concept art we could see off screen from the Tekken Takes Tokyo documentary before TTT2's console release that I can possibly see added to this but I'm still skeptical. I'll probably just wait.

Kind of funny how 5 years ago I would have instantly jumped on this despite having been significantly more financially unstable.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

It seems to me like you actively avoid ways to get better in Tekken, but I think you've said this before many times so, you do you.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
His point is, relying solely on gimmicks for defense will leave you exposed when a player doesn't fall for the gimmicks. So for a learning Tekken player, it's better to learn how to use proper defense instead of gimmicks first. Obviously Ling players use AOP for evasive maneuvers, but the top players all have a foundation of solid defense to go along with any special advantages their character gives them.

Didn't need a 6 minute video from TTT2 for that.

It seems to me like you actively avoid ways to get better in Tekken, but I think you've said this before many times so, you do you.

This dude said it's better to stand there to break a throw when you know it's coming rather than go into AOP or hopkick launch. Like, what??? Nah, if there is free damage on the table like a telegraphed throw attempt, that's getting a hopkick or wavecrest.

If I'm going to watch to learn, its gonna be something like

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
This dude said it's better to stand there to break a throw when you know it's coming rather than go into AOP or hopkick launch. Like, what??? Nah, if there is free damage on the table like a telegraphed throw attempt, that's getting a hopkick or wavecrest.

If I'm going to watch to learn, its gonna be something like

If you're going to go into AOP or hopkick launch whenever you think someone is going to grab you, your opponent will end up baiting you into thinking he's going to grab you, and then he'll punish you for doing a panic hopkick or hit you out of AOP.

If you were ready to just brake a grab on reaction, there's no way your opponent can bait you. Yeah, going into AOP or hopkick is fine if your opponent is at a level where he's gonna fall for that, but as soon as you face someone who starts to notice that you like to duck under grabs, he might just start making you think he's gonna grab you and just hopkick.

The point is having solid defense knocks out a lot of ways for you to get bopped by your opponent.

I always felt that Tekken players who only play Ling, or who only play extremely evasive characters don't really have solid defense, because they don't have to, at lower levels. But as soon as you start playing people who notice that your defense is solely reliant on the natural evasiveness of your character, i. e. Feng, Ling, Raven, Nina, they'll start to exploit the holes in your defense.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
If you're going to go into AOP or hopkick launch whenever you think someone is going to grab you, your opponent will end up baiting you into thinking he's going to grab you, and then he'll punish you for doing a panic hopkick or hit you out of AOP.

If you were ready to just brake a grab on reaction, there's no way your opponent can bait you. Yeah, going into AOP or hopkick is fine if your opponent is at a level where he's gonna fall for that, but as soon as you face someone who starts to notice that you like to duck under grabs, he might just start making you think he's gonna grab you and just hopkick.

The point is having solid defense knocks out a lot of ways for you to get bopped by your opponent.

I always felt that Tekken players who only play Ling, or who only play extremely evasive characters don't really have solid defense, because they don't have to, at lower levels. But as soon as you start playing people who notice that your defense is solely reliant on the natural evasiveness of your character, i. e. Feng, Ling, Raven, Nina, they'll start to exploit the holes in your defense.

If you punish someone for doing something, and they don't correct it, they're bad.

When they correct their mistake, and punish you for it, it's your turn to adjust now.

Be like water.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If you punish someone for doing something, and they don't correct it, they're bad.

When they correct their mistake, and punish you for it, it's your turn to adjust now.

Be like water.

Yes, adjusting is hard though if you tend to rely on gimmicks and don't actively try to improve your defense. How do you improve your defense? By following above advice.
Getting rid of bad habits can be hard if you don't work on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Yes, adjusting is hard though if you tend to rely on gimmicks and don't actively try to improve your defense. How do you improve your defense? By following above advice.
Getting rid of bad habits can be hard if you don't work on them.

If it's good advice, I'll follow it.

I do not consider someone telling me to duck under highs with Ling instead of using her AOP kit good advice. If he at least emphasized using d/f+1 when being pressured with jabs because it goes under highs, or b+1 as a panic, then yeah, sure, I'll listen.

Like, he picked Asuka, who is supposed to be "defensive oriented" but only mentioned her standing reversal. Not the built-in parry with 1+3 or b+1 (CH). Now she would be a good character to duck under a throw, especially with ws+1+2.

Video strikes me as a bunch of talk about "git gud." No demonstration.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
If it's good advice, I'll follow it.

I do not consider someone telling me to duck under highs with Ling instead of using her AOP kit good advice. If he at least emphasized using d/f+1 when being pressured with jabs because it goes under highs, or b+1 as a panic, then yeah, sure, I'll listen.

Like, he picked Asuka, who is supposed to be "defensive oriented" but only mentioned her standing reversal. Not the built-in parry with 1+3 or b+1 (CH). Now she would be a good character to duck under a throw, especially with ws+1+2.

Video strikes me as a bunch of talk about "git gud." No demonstration.

The important distinction to make is Aris is teaching Tekken, not teaching Ling or Asuka. Universal strategies will last longer than character specific ones. They are the foundation that lets you pick up anyone and do well enough, then applying character specifics on top of that.

There are countless examples of people playing online who want to only do the cool shit, but they lose. Maybe that makes you feel good about yourself and time spent with the game, but it doesn't make you a better player. It's also not good advice for a beginner that really cares about this stuff.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That video helped me a ton this weekend!

I just started getting into the game more this week and right after I saw the video, I went online and was looking to see if players were putting up a "solid defense" or a "party animal defense". Sure enough, there was a notable difference and I think it helped me level up my game.

Cosmic Forge

Oct 28, 2017
I have this feeling of dejavu in this thread when I read solid advice being given, then soundly rejected... as if this has happened many times before. Hmm.

In other news. If you like your Tekken with confetti and sparklers, enjoy this.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Never liked her and her type
The young,good neutral selection female fighter who's alittle tomboyish and innocent. Usually short hair. Her,Asuka,May etc etc
I f i hated on Sakura for being a shoto i'd be hating on half the SF4 cast

I now have a quarrel with you.

Tbf I absolutely love that archetype.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Crayon Solid Defense is the long and hard road to take, but the better one for a growing fighting game player in the long term. You got this.

Over the weekend Ianaged to get moving to a point where I don't feel like I have two left feet and it made a huge difference. Being able to finally maintain a little space, I made it to initiate rank and actually stayed there.

Last night I practised some better combos. Should give me another boost.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Both sides are right to some extent. If you are making a hard read that a throw is incoming, maximizing the damage with an AoP launch is rewarding. However, you also have to consider what everyone else is saying - the hard read isn't always right, and can even lead you into taking a ton of damage yourself.

AoP defends well against highs and other attacks that don't track well to her right side. That covers a lot, true, but it is vulnerable to a lot of anti-AoP strats. So against tracking mids that destroy the stance, it makes sense to sometimes stand and block (just in case) while being ready to break a possible throw, which is REALLY easy in T7. You're also looking to block slow Snake Edge sweeps, which means you are now mostly vulnerable to quick lows alone.

Building a defensive fortress that makes it hard for your opponent to wear you down is a hugely important skill in Tekken. It is often worth sacrificing a "maybe" big damage situation in exchange for a dominant suit of armor to protect you.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
That really is a phenomenal OT, even though I've now probably exceeded my monthly data limit, heh. Great job!

Edit: Screw the haters in that other thread, the lifestyle stuff is great!

Last edited: