• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Im using my monkey paw wish for arcades to die everywhere
And i liked arcades. But this isnt the 90s

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, E3 doesn't acknowledge arcade reveals either. Everything is presented from a console/PC content perspective.
You do realize Fated Retribution as a console title was revealed before E3 2016, right?

By the time Tekken 7 was "revealed" at E3, it was not a "new title." The Paris Games Show in 2015 had already announced the PS4 version before E3 even if you want to discount all prior arcade reveals and releases.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
But at E3 it was still "new" in the sense that it hadn't been released yet on the only platforms that E3 covers: console and PC.

So again, E3 is the place for showing off future console and PC games, not for announcing minor add-ons of existing titles. Every now and then a major game with a huge DLC release will come into the spotlight, but other than an occasional, casual mention of some type of upcoming microtransaction, you don't see a dedicated presentation of stuff like new costumes and the like at this show.

I've been to at least 15 E3s, and this has always been the case. In fact, I'm at the show right now typing this while eating a hot dog. It would be very surprising to hear T7 news here unless it was a new season pass, and even then it might be held back to be announced at Evo instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you even arguing this? Stop setting arbitrary rules for what is and isn't appropriate for E3. Devs can show and announce whatever they want whether that's NG+ for God of War or story expansion for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Lots of old titles get updates announced at E3. E3 is not reserved solely for brand new titles, as Murray is indicating. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'm not "setting arbitrary rules". I'm merely pointing out reality: E3 is rarely used to announce nickle and dime additions to old games. To expect it to happen simply ignores years of what occurs there.

I wish they announced something this week. They have a tourney tomorrow and it'll be great if something comes out of it. I'm just being realistic in saying it is unlikely to happen.

EDIT: BTW, why is this issue being questioned anyway since the discussion started after I pointed out this tweet directly from Namco:
It's only been a year since release, and E3 isn't a good place to announce anything but a new title, so don't know why ppl would expect any Tekken news here...
If Namco themselves say E3 is for focusing on new titles, then there's really nothing more to add.

Last edited:

Kave

Feb 5, 2018
Canada
Just sharing some stuff that made me happy:

Monday went to my local and for the first time actually won a game in Tekken. Still overall went 0-2 in the tourney but I can say at least a I went 1-2 in my first match!

Also got a bunch of tips from peeps on KBR since I told them I'm starting to try to learn it. I still want to learn a few other characters and might even break my waifu only rule and learn a "top tier" character.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
There we go, Noctis and Claudio at Grand Master. Game is getting more fun every day! Low ranks seems to be: abuse opponents weakness => Win. Because very few adapt... Or they are like me and dont't always know how to counter something.
But when I do go up against opponents that actually adapt the game shines because of the mindgames and mix ups.

Monday went to my local and for the first time actually won a game in Tekken. Still overall went 0-2 in the tourney but I can say at least a I went 1-2 in my first match!

Also got a bunch of tips from peeps on KBR since I told them I'm starting to try to learn it. I still want to learn a few other characters and might even break my waifu only rule and learn a "top tier" character.
Nice! I am also thinking of going to locals. I think Tekken 7 is somewhat big where I live.
What tips did they tell you? Would love to hear them as I am also learning and just got the game.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

No need to break that rule, Ling has you covered.

But seriously, there's no need to think about tiers in Tekken. Just learn a character you like or someone who is easy to learn.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not "setting arbitrary rules". I'm merely pointing out reality: E3 is rarely used to announce nickle and dime additions to old games. To expect it to happen simply ignores years of what occurs there.

I wish they announced something this week. They have a tourney tomorrow and it'll be great if something comes out of it. I'm just being realistic in saying it is unlikely to happen.

EDIT: BTW, why is this issue being questioned anyway since the discussion started after I pointed out this tweet directly from Namco:

If Namco themselves say E3 is for focusing on new titles, then there's really nothing more to add.

Except Namco has shown DLC updates to old titles at E3 so clearly Namco has not restricted E3 for new titles. But in any case, I don't really want to have a prolonged argument over something as stupid as this.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Since tomorrow's event is the last chance to hear of something, I still hope something does get announced despite what Namco said, even if the chance is small.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Another guest character

Iori

CZzG3bnUEAAZm0P.jpg

From idolmaster

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Good games GrayFoxPL. Sorry for the weird performance, but something felt really off today. I got a lot of wrong inputs and was dropping combos left and right.

You got very good at anticipating Hwo's d+3,4. Got ducked several times. Good stuff.
You seem to always want to use a getup kick when you're on the ground. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
gray on KND waits and rolls to dodge then getup kicks
He always waits. And i always fall for it

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good games GrayFoxPL. Sorry for the weird performance, but something felt really off today. I got a lot of wrong inputs and was dropping combos left and right.

You got very good at anticipating Hwo's d+3,4. Got ducked several times. Good stuff.
You seem to always want to use a getup kick when you're on the ground. I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

GGs. Thanks for the Chloe deathmatch. Helped me lots. At this hour I can play normally with focus on what's happening, later in the day I'm just too tired to play with any effectiveness.

You let me run up to you for free. I felt I could do anything then. Remember to keep some distance from Paul or you'll be just guessing all fight. More mixups too, you didn't use all her string options. I changed my Paul to be more optimal, don't expect 100 deathfists per round ;).

My getup kicks is just a 20 year old bad habit but I won at least 3 rounds with getup 4 because your chloe jumped over me with fff+3.

gray on KND waits and rolls to dodge then getup kicks
He always waits. And i always fall for it

Yeah, haha. I try to go away from that because all those pancake flip moves, but not every character has those.

Getup kicks is such a strong habit that I even when I clearly thinking not to do them....I still do them.

i8dj92m.gif

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
RFmFteE.gif

Btw I trying bit of law lately and I can't get thos 4,3 dss legend kick finishers. I can't get the timing down. When they stand I can do 4,3, legend kick pretty smoothly but once in juggle state everything shits itself.

Got any tips?

asking me for dss tips
me?

tenor.gif

im honored but i suck

tbh what i do is to have the cancel done before the second kick of 4,3 hits then forward dragon kick

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Fei Long had some badass supers in SF4.

In T7 most RA's are made with ass little effort as possible.

I don't want any 5 minute animes supers but make RA a 1 move with original animation. I mean look at the work put in Tag2 special tag throws.
This was the chance for Tekken to do something really out there
Maybe they didnt have the experience

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I just realized watching Tag2 Law combo. That Laws RA kick is an animation cut from Forest in Tag2 but there Forest does nice little run before the kick so it makes sense. But in T7 they've cut all the run momentum and just left the kick. So dumb, I can't. XD

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
His RA should be one inch punch and it'd do more damage the closer the opponent was.

Or mix in his badass killing blow from T6:

Mam3L3N.gif

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I just hit Brawler for the first time and I know it's a low rank but feels really great because my lack of experience in fighters and this being my first real shot at a 3D fighter.
The last two matches were super hype as well.

In 15 mins there's a Tekken 'sabotage' invitational tournament starting on https://www.twitch.tv/esl
(after the Tekken bit there will be an SC6 exhibition)
Nice, will watch!

Btw how is SC compared to Tekken? They look very similar.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Btw how is SC compared to Tekken? They look very similar.
Well, they're both 3D fighters. Movement is easier in SC, and combos are generally much shorter. It has a bit more system mechanics like super and guard meters and universal parry mechanics. I guess overall it's a bit more casual friendly but it still has plenty depth.

I'm really looking forward to it. I played SC5 before i got into Tekken properly competitively.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
One other difference between Tekken and SC... since SC characters use weapons, range fighting can be a lot more interesting to play/watch. In Tekken, it's unique for a character (i.e. Jack and Noctis) to have a lot of moves that reach into range 3 and 4. This is very common in SC.

SquirrelSoup

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, and the range has some interesting consequences for punishment too. In Tekken there's some moves which need special long ranged punishment (which your character might not have!) like deathfist or Hei ff2, but it's the exception. In SC that's very very common, tons of moves have a crapload of pushback. It doesn't matter much if someone is -20 if you can't reach them with any of your moves in time. And the range differences between characters are huuuuge compared to Tekken.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Will definetly play it now that I enjoy Tekken 7 so much.

Any good movement guide for this game, I know there are tons on youtube but any specific recommendation? I noticed that a lot of opponents I face now in Brawler and above just move way better than I do so guess the next step is to improve on that.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Will definetly play it now that I enjoy Tekken 7 so much.

Any good movement guide for this game, I know there are tons on youtube but any specific recommendation? I noticed that a lot of opponents I face now in Brawler and above just move way better than I do so guess the next step is to improve on that.

Yeah, movement is one of the most important aspects of this game and one of your strongest tools. It's not only important to have good movement in general (backdashes, sidesteps), but also to use it effectively as an offensive or evasive tool.
Aris made a really good video back in the TTT2 days where he talks about tying moves and movement together to create whiffs. Of course this applies to T7 as well.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PYWbNwA.gif

Played classic T 5.0 through PS3 and T2, T3 within T5. Such a good and soothing feeling again after playing so much of T7.

That Ogre stage looks incomparably better in arcade version of T3. 3D background objects with great color use.

I never understood that Namco made an effort to not put PS1 ports but make these arcade perfect conversions included in T5 and never put them on digital stores.

Gotta start playing Soul Calibur 2 HD tomorrow to get myself familiar again. Maybe some SCIV too. I avoid SCV like a plage, horribly stiff game.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
nostalgia is a strong thing
my nephews play sonic on ipad and some game you beat up a bear
different strokes