• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah... I got reimbursed for my 3 years of writing for ATP during Tag2's era.... with a shirt Aris mailed me :P

Everything Wonkey did it was for free.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I for one are hype for Negan, and the reveal did more to interest my non-Tekken playing friends than anything else that's been shown.

Dunno how many times Namco have to prove that they're actually smart at this.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Negan, but I wish the Tekken team wasn't so fragile. Reacting to criticism so badly, and from a huge fan no less, is a terrible look.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game on Xbox this time, tell me I made a mistake.

I know about the graphic issues but I really just play mostly on my Xbox and I definitely wanted a fighter. Evenif it's not online,. I want to dabble with it here and there.

Oct 27, 2017
I for one are hype for Negan, and the reveal did more to interest my non-Tekken playing friends than anything else that's been shown.

Dunno how many times Namco have to prove that they're actually smart at this.

Ah yes, the infallible and astute namco. Clever to a T. I mean who else would have their worldwide fanbase awake at 3 am on a 240p nico nico stream to watch a lucky chloe reveal.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game on Xbox this time, tell me I made a mistake.

I know about the graphic issues but I really just play mostly on my Xbox and I definitely wanted a fighter. Evenif it's not online,. I want to dabble with it here and there.
I think the main problem on Xbox is finding matches online, because the scene is mostly on PS4 and PC. The game itself is good.

Oct 27, 2017
Outselling Streetfighter, selling double Tag2 and counting, etc, etc, etc.

People can try to downplay Tag 2 all they want and call it "franchise killer" or whatever but it's a non-canon game that released at the end of the PS3/360 lifecycle (and later a dead in the water Nintendo console) and had strong competition with SCV and Virtua Fighter 5 FS releasing the same year and DoA5 releasing in the same month. Despite all that, it managed to sell around 2 million without having to absurdly disrupt the whole canon plot of Tekken with inclusion of a Street Fighter character or having to pathetically rely on fanbases of other franchises by adding mismatched, nonsensical guest characters, including from Final Fantasy and Walking Dead of all things, in a pitiful attempt to bring up sales numbers.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
And yet it sold less than Tekken 6 despite releasing on more platforms with a higher install base.

A downward slope is the trend for almost every traditional fighter out there. That it manages to be under 200k is more impressive than it is disappointing.

People can try to downplay Tag 2 all they want and call it "franchise killer" or whatever but it's a non-canon game that released at the end of the PS3/360 lifecycle (and later a dead in the water Nintendo console) and had strong competition with SCV and Virtua Fighter 5 FS releasing the same year and DoA5 releasing in the same month. Despite all that, it managed to sell around 2 million without having to absurdly disrupt the whole canon plot of Tekken with inclusion of a Street Fighter character or having to pathetically rely on fanbases of other franchises by adding mismatched, nonsensical guest characters, including from Final Fantasy and Walking Dead of all things, in a pitiful attempt to bring up sales numbers.

It had Snoop Dogg.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A downward slope is the trend for almost every traditional fighter out there. That it manages to be under 200k is more impressive than it is disappointing.

Is it really that impressive? Look at that reddit link again:
Also worth noting that in 2009:

PS3 Sales: 35.95 million Xbox Sales: 40.3 million

in 2017:

PS4 Sales: 73.82 million XB1 Sales: 36.20 million

Without even counting the extra pool of capable-PC Steam users, Tekken 7 had a 30+ million larger pool of users to get their sales from compared to Tekken 6.

I also don't buy the excuse that "traditional" fighting games are in a downward slope. Mortal Kombat is as traditional as it gets and ever since MK9 they doubled down on the traditional fighting aspects of the game to be tournament compatible and have had greater success than ever before. Namco can do better to have better sales than MK like they used to pre-2010.

The total number of sold copies is still higher, isn't it? T6 sold 3.5 million copies, T7 will easily have more than 4 million once Negan gets released.

Tekken 6 hit 3.5 million in 2011. We don't have any data of what happened after. How many sales did it get with the Greatest Hits release? How many sales did it get when its backward compatibility was announced for XB1? And how much extra copies were sold during sales throughout the 7 years since that date?

3.5 Million is still a solid number, but it's still a shadow of what Tekken could achieve. And seeing people celebrate "we sold more than Street Fighter" is a pretty shallow standard considering the historic pedigree behind the Tekken name.

Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded the new patch. The changes to Anna are amazing and the new panels are great. A simple change and her combos are completely diversified.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back when bounds were a huge issue within the Tekken community around the time Tekken 6 came out.

Looking back on it, I would say Tekken 6 is my favorite Tekken to play, or even Tekken 5. Speaking from experience since I recently played them, no nostalgia goggles here. Had to see for myself.

There's something about the smaller, more diverse stages and the "lighting" within Tekken 6 that brings it out for me.

Tekken 6
- rage system
- bounds

Tekken 5
- ????

None I suppose, thinking about it now I would put T6 and T5 neck and neck, but T6 being the better game gameplay wise is debatable.

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 6 also remains my favorite Tekken to play. Very grounded, intense matches. An HD remaster of Tekken 6 would probably look better than Tekken 7. Good looking hair, no clipping, footprints in the snow, etc.

tekken_6_ps3_17205.jpg

229151125.jpg

tekken_6_ps3_17212.jpg

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 6 also remains my favorite Tekken to play. Very grounded, intense matches. An HD remaster of Tekken 6 would probably look better than Tekken 7. Good looking hair, no clipping, footprints in the snow, etc.
An HD remaster would be cool, but they don't even have to, just port it to PS4, XBX and PC with online and I'm good.

Oct 27, 2017

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
T5 was the first game where crush system was introduced afaik. In previous games whenever eg move would duck under highs solely depended on how animation looked if character's model would actually lower his head ect. They created crush system to make it a function they could just stick on any moves they see fit.

T5 was purposely broken and part why it was fun. T5DR is the best "reasonably" balanced Tekken game that didn't utilize bounds. It was a game where you utilized short juggles, position and oki and even could hit back rolling opponents with electrics(not for launch.) Compact fighting at it's best without any bullshit. Something that, in the times of anime supers and other nonsense, I soley miss. It had great movement - especially fast backdash and sidesteps. So much that it was hugely nerfed in T6 in form of backdash cancel and lesser sidestep cancel (though SS itself is very responsive in 6) and SS range and the homing moves were created. Tag2 un-nerfed that movement though not to DR level obviously.
From all the reports T7 vanilla had again very nerfed sidesteps with artificial delay build in, FR un-nerfed them again.

Tag1 still stays the one Tekken game with the most crazy movement. It's when it all started. Once Koreans learned how to move it was so crazy that every subseqent game had to be nerfed because bcd and ssc was borderline uncatchable. That's why T4 bcd was so extremely nerfed. T5/DR was the closest we got that crazy movement again.

Notice a pattern here? One game nerf. Next game un-nerf.

If we got a time machine and show Tag1 koreans how T7 moves they'd probably say that it's unplayable, lol.

Koreans are at fault of every movement nerf, haha.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if T6 was released I'd probably drop T7 instantly. If it had some kind of remix mode that improved bcd and nerfed Bob then even better.

I like how "proper" hits feel in T6 and hitboxes are precise and tight. In T7 you can hit people across the stage because some hitboxes and hurtboxes seemed to be drawn with crayons.

To me T6 feels organic and meaty. T7 is like animated corpse in comparison. It works, it's just dead inside.

And why did they think that making every second hit a BOOOOOOM! sound effect actualy improves sound design? it did not. Boom every 5 seconds sounds dumb and forced.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if T6 was released I'd probably drop T7 instantly. If it had some kind of remix mode that improved bcd and nerfed Bob then even better.

I like how "proper" hits feel in T6 and hitboxes are precise and tight. In T7 you can hit people across the stage because some hitboxes and hurtboxes seemed to be drawn with crayons.

To me T6 feels organic and meaty. T7 is like animated corpse in comparison. It works, it's just dead inside.

And why did they think that making every second hit a BOOOOOOM! sound effect actualy improves sound design? it did not. Boom every 5 seconds sounds dumb and forced.
I actually do enjoy that some moves for each character have the closeup camera with boom sound impact. I think it adds to the cinematic look Tekken 7 is going for and probably part of the reason why it's more spectator friendly.

I guess I never paid attention to how many of us in here mutually enjoy T5/T6.
I definitely miss the smaller stages, stronger okizemie, better wall pressure/greater purpose to conserving your bound for wall carries, and intense mind games from T6.

But because people complained about constantly being wall splatted/picked up because they don't know how to get up properly, Tekken 7 completely toned down all of these elements. It's why it feels less intense to me.

I like mystical forest a lot too. It's just too serene to get me pumped up for a fighting match.

Oct 27, 2017

Love watching T4 pro matches. I don't even remember the music being dynamic like that.

Tekken 4 was just way ahead of its time. If it released in an age where patches were common and had a DR/BR/FR equivalent followup release, I think it could have been better balanced/more successful. It had hands down the best artstyle/atmosphere/story out of any Tekken game released so far.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I definitely miss the smaller stages, stronger okizemie, better wall pressure/greater purpose to conserving your bound for wall carries, and intense mind games from T6.

But because people complained about constantly being wall splatted/picked up because they don't know how to get up properly, Tekken 7 completely toned down all of these elements. It's why it feels less intense to me.
I love T5 and T6, but I'm very happy they toned down those elements a bit. The ground game was very daunting.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Screwss are ok, problem is they are "modded" into T6/Tag2 system. When T6 came the whole system was build around bounds, moves were created for sole purpose to bound.

In T7 most of those moves were left without their intended function so eg we have Devil Jins df+1+2, his main bound move, now just does nothing and nobody uses it because it lost it's purpose.
Instead of rework these moves or make new ones in their place they're just left as they were just without their function.

Another DJ example: OldJin/DJ CD 4,4 was a hellsweep into spinning roundhouse in T3 until T6 where the second kick was remade into downward hook kick just to make it a smart bound move.
By logical thinking T7 should revert the second kick back into roundhouse so the animation would fit a screw. But no in T7 DJ still tries to do the nonexistent bound. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, they did make new screw moves but those are few and far between. I think maybe next Tekken's every aspect will be fully build around screws and other T7/T8 system features instead of being old dog forced to do new tricks.

Last edited:

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Screwss are ok, problem is they are "modded" into T6/Tag2 system. When T6 came the whole system was build around bounds, moves were created for sole purpose to bound.

In T7 most of those moves were left without their intended function so eg we have Devil Jins df+1+2, his main bound move, now just does nothing and nobody uses it because it lost it's purpose.
Instead of rework these moves or make new ones in their place they're just left as they were just without their function.

Another DJ example: OldJin/DJ CD 4,4 was a hellsweep into spinning roundhouse in T3 until T6 where the second kick was remade into downward hook kick just to make it a smart bound move.
By logical thinking T7 should revert the second kick back into roundhouse so the animation would fit a screw. But no in T7 DJ still tries to do the nonexistent bound. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, they did make new screw moves but those are few and far between. I think maybe next Tekken's every aspect will be fully build around screws and other T7/T8 system features instead of being old dog forced to do new tricks.

I think DJ's is completely fine the way it works now. First hit launches, second hit breaks the floor. I don't see why the move would have to be reworked in any way.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think DJ's is completely fine the way it works now. First hit launches, second hit breaks the floor. I don't see why the move would have to be reworked in any way.
You say it breaks the floor like it matters in this game because 1 on 20 stages has floor break. It should be reworked because it was solely made for T6 bound system. They leave these kind of moves because why bother to do anything useful with them. Copy pasta is the key.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Was mostly grinding quick player matches and fights with friends, but went to ranked a few days ago and finally made it to Vanquisher with my no execution Lee (can't do the loops consistently or many one frame moves lol). Considering I can't train much this aspect due to my hand condition, I wonder if I should persevere to the red ranks or switch to a less execution heavy character (I also play Miguel).

I love Lee though... :(

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was mostly grinding quick player matches and fights with friends, but went to ranked a few days ago and finally made it to Vanquisher with my no execution Lee (can't do the loops consistently or many one frame moves lol). Considering I can't train much this aspect due to my hand condition, I wonder if I should persevere to the red ranks or switch to a less execution heavy character (I also play Miguel).

I love Lee though... :(

Stay with Lee. My muscle dystrophy barely let's me push buttons and I still got to genbu with Kazuya. Of course it took 1500 fights and countless promo and demotions but still persistence breaks resistance :].

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Stay with Lee. My muscle dystrophy barely let's me push buttons and I still got to genbu with Kazuya. Of course it took 1500 fights and countless promo and demotions but still persistence breaks resistance :].
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind ^^. You had other characters on the side or you sticked with Kaz ?

Oct 27, 2017
Learning my fourth character now (Josie) and man there are so many rage quits! People really hate her pokes!

Question. Do i have to buy Season Pass2 t get new customization items or can I get them by buying a character?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I owe it to my Josie to get back into this. I literally don't play games anymore , so it would be the first time in my life that I would be maining just one game. I do have to reach a solid frame rate in my PC version first though.

Right now I'm just contemplating what is the easiest way to smooth myself into it again, besides playing against low ranks online, and practice the basics and moves. Maybe with y'all on discord since I'm still in there.

Guess I need to search Google as well for the best playstyles, her strengths and weaknesses.

Learning my fourth character now (Josie) and man there are so many rage quits! People really hate her pokes!
What is your level? Cause I've been a complete newb legend since Tekken 1 through every release. But maybe we could get in some games in a lobby anyway.

I transfered from PS4 to PC though since I sold my PS4 but we can crossplay. I should have a very solid connection. I also miss just hanging out with the rest go y'all in a lobby.