• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I wouldn't care if this game didn't get a sequel for 6 to 7 more years, I'd still be playing it. Just release it in 4k 60fps next gen and I'd be happy. Add a few extras and I'm good. This is the best Tekken ever.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Don't some people recommend using Pad for Tekken? I've had good success playing Soul Calibur using a pad and thinking about using it for Tekken even though I main stick in every other 2D fighting game. I just get so lazy lugging out a big stick and getting it setup. With pad I just pick it up off from my desk and go

It's all preference. Play with what you're best with.

Oct 27, 2017
The new health bar is hideous. It's probably too late to improve the netcode but damn, I played some MK11 before I hopped on to Tekken and it was like night and day. Still I had a lot of fun getting beat up online! Made it to Initiate :)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The new health bar is hideous. It's probably too late to improve the netcode but damn, I played some MK11 before I hopped on to Tekken and it was like night and day. Still I had a lot of fun getting beat up online! Made it to Initiate :)
The health bar last season was for a particular kind of colour blind folks, I imagine this one is made with a similar intention.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm like 5 minutes away from breaking my fucking stick and deleting this game altogether
Been playing this for fucking 2 years now and I still cant fucking backdash properly
Every guide is just "here's the input, just do it" and I fucking cant
I get how it works, I understand what needs to be done, I just cant physically fucking do it and its pissing me off

I mean, it IS just the input. You just have to find the motion that works best for you, but even then it takes a long time to get it down properly and consistently.
I know people who can't backdash properly that consistently get top 64 or even top 32 in tournaments. Don't sweat it.

Any ideas why it's not recording any play stats for me? Is it ranked only or something?

It's ranked only which I don't like at all. The stat system also seems pretty garbage to be honest.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I understand and can appreciate the buffs and nerfs for the most part, but why was Miguel hit so hard? Why was Dragunov so heavily buffed when he was still so prominent in high level play? Why was Kazumi given more options? Why were the bears nerfed at all??

Katarina's nerfs seem really overkill, but I could maybe see her being an issue in low level play.

Either way I am pretty excited to get back online with Bob and Josie.

Oct 25, 2017
Have they ever said what they are looking at when balancing? It is possible that some of the nerfed characters do better at low ranks. Maybe Miguel is strong at a beginner level or something if you check the data they have from online matches.

Capcom does have tierlists based on those online matches: https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/stats/dia/
Spoiler: they look nothing like actual tournament tiers.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I am sure they are looking more at overall win percentages online than tournaments. It is a smart way to go about things for the most part, but some of these changes are really odd even in that content. I hated how season 1 tournaments devolved into almost nothing but Dragunov and Jack matches. It would seriously suck to see a repeat of that.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Negan has a low in his Intimidation stance, Larsu got buffs and Zafina is in the game. This season's already the best thing ever.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Anybody got an idea of how tight the input window is for Zafina's Azazel claw? It doesnt seem TOO bad, but definitely takes a bit of practise to land, and cant effectively be mashed out.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I understand and can appreciate the buffs and nerfs for the most part, but why was Miguel hit so hard? Why was Dragunov so heavily buffed when he was still so prominent in high level play? Why was Kazumi given more options? Why were the bears nerfed at all??

Katarina's nerfs seem really overkill, but I could maybe see her being an issue in low level play.

Either way I am pretty excited to get back online with Bob and Josie.
The nerfs to the top 5(Geese, Kazumi, Jin, D.Jin, Steve) all make sense. While kazumi has more options, all those options are super easy to beat and she's overall worse than before because of the nerfs to db4 and especially b2. She also doesn't have a 12f wallsplat anymore.

I will agree on Miguel, Katarina and Bears though. Those nerfs are kinda uncalled for especially when you consider the buffs characters similar in strength to them got.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to working with Zafina later in the day. I'm still eying Lei and Julie but not too sure on them yet.

Though I've always wondered how people view people who don't wave dash with Mishima's. It always seem to be a key element to their play style but is it really needed to play them?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I look forward to working with Zafina later in the day. I'm still eying Lei and Julie but not too sure on them yet.

Though I've always wondered how people view people who don't wave dash with Mishima's. It always seem to be a key element to their play style but is it really needed to play them?
I Don't main mishimas because I have horrid execution and can't wavedash. But when I do try to play them from time to time, I do feel gimped lol. My opponents read all my 50/50s quite well without being able to wavu-wavu.

But of all of them I think Jin gets by just fine without having to wavedash spam. He's got loads of other stuff

Jan 11, 2018
It's all preference. Play with what you're best with.

This. That being said, Tekken has always been made with pad users in mind due to its relationship with PlayStation. There has never been any compromises made when porting it to console, like there's been with 6-button fighting games. I personally prefer to play it with a pad in part because it's just as good as an alternative as a stick for this particular series and it's also the way I've been playing it for decades. There's no reason to change, unless you are trying to go for a one size fits all approach and use a stick for every game in the genre.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This. That being said, Tekken has always been made with pad users in mind due to its relationship with PlayStation. There has never been any compromises made when porting it to console, like there's been with 6-button fighting games. I personally prefer to play it with a pad in part because it's just as good as an alternative as a stick for this particular series and it's also the way I've been playing it for decades. There's no reason to change, unless you are trying to go for a one size fits all approach and use a stick for every game in the genre.
Yeah, I'm debating. I'm already having trouble executing d,df 1 with Julia because of the dpad. Sometimes I'll get launcher because I'm rolling d,df,f other times I input d,df slowly, I get a low punch. Also, with a Round One arcade opening up soon, it might be good to learn stick just so I'm already comfortable. Not even sure if a Tekken 7 arcade will even be there. I played SC4 on Xbox pad and when I got SC5-6 playing on stick was just so foreign. I'll just jump between both for now as I haven't even scratched the full move list.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Finally gave this a shot. Never been big on 3d fighting and never got into tekken. This is good though. Better than I remember it. Did it change for 7?

Julia seems pretty neat with her high low stuff. Noctis pressure seems good too.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
When is Leroy to be released?

I was disappointed among the millions of Tekken fans to see Zafina and not Leroy on S3 release date.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Winter. Chances are he'll drop after the TWT finals.

They nerf Jin, release the most underplayed character ever and Leroy is kept away from us for months?!!!

giphy.gif

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I legitimately wish there was a way to block people in Tekken so that I wouldn't get matched up with them online.

I'd do it with every Hwoarang player.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, been playing some ranked because of the rank-creep and the new stats and it's just so much worse. Last match a guy ragequit and messaged me to ask why I "spam with Feng". Dude had 1,000 hours played and was in groups like "Tekken All-Stars". What a weird existence.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If you're on PS4, you're safe.

If you're on PC though 👊
I'm on both but I rarely play on PC because for some reason it sometimes runs smoothly and sometimes runs like shit on my laptop.

Ranked is a mess in general. It can be good for building up your matchup knowledge though. I also use ranked as warm up before matches sometimes.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Dude was playing Bryan, too..
LOL
I'm on both but I rarely play on PC because for some reason it sometimes runs smoothly and sometimes runs like shit on my laptop.

Ranked is a mess in general. It can be good for building up your matchup knowledge though. I also use ranked as warm up before matches sometimes.
Those low moments in ranked (severe disparity in rank or a one-and-doner) really suck but when you hit those high moments when you're both at a equal-ish skill level or just play long enough that you both start learning and adapting? Those moments are just the BEST.

Except with Hwoarang players, fuck em. You're still cool though

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
LOL
Those low moments in ranked (severe disparity in rank or a one-and-doner) really suck but when you hit those high moments when you're both at a equal-ish skill level or just play long enough that you both start learning and adapting? Those moments are just the BEST.

Except with Hwoarang players, fuck em. You're still cool though
Lol don't worry. I hate Online Hwoarangs as much as anyone else. I met a few REALLY good Hwo players in ranked though who were way better than me and that was the most fun I had against a Hwo player Online.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I want to play as Zafina, were there any good additions to season pass holders other than the character? I am curious before I purchase the season pass.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing guaranteed is Leroy(probably in December) and the other future additions.

The other stuff they've added with Zafina for season pass holders is pretty mediocre customize items

Hmm that's what I thought, little worried about paying for season pass just to get Zafina and those items right now. If I don't use her much in online, might be pointless. I do want to try her though.