• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I agree. I don't like any of the music in T7 really. It's just there. It's not offensive, but meh. I would have to boot up TTT2 to refresh the memory.
Nah, TT has the worst meh soundtrack (only Ogre's stage is the one good one console and arcade ver), close to T4 with the exception of 3 songs.

T7 has at least has infinite azure (both ver), Negans tage, Noctics stage, menu song son S2, the one from the story mode, Heat Haze and of course the Geese stage.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I generally disagree with the hate on wub wub. I love the new style and if I count the number of songs I like, T7 and TT2 have the most in the series for me, especially after T7's updates. I only like TT1's more and that's because of the hard carry of Ogre, Xiaoyu and the ending theme(top 3 songs in the series imo). I will say T7's OST is heavily brought down by Helipad night though, that shit is garbage and really weighs it down. My ranking goes like:
TT1>T4=T7>TT2>T5+DR>T6>T3>T2>T1

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah....I dunno man, I struggle with this all of the time, because at this point I am respected by my scene, however I still long for some kind of unequivocal praise that supersedes all of the other praise I've ever gotten. One of the most proverbial human traps, ultimately my problem with Tekken is that I have some kind of bizarre need for approval that I'm somewhat decent at the game, I'll figure it out soon.

Hmm... this is where we're somewhat different. I'm not seen as a strong player in my scene and I'll probably never will. I was always seen as the guy who has potential, but never as someone who people are afraid of ending up against in their bracket. I'be never won a set against Sephiblack or Ice_Beam and I always lose against the same people in tournament (Tubetech or Cloud_Syler). What motivates me is that it gets closer every single time.
And since we're talking about a need for approval. Tubetech told me that he was surprised how strong my Chloe has gotten after I lost to him and I don't think I would've played with the same confidence in my following matches if he hadn't said that. I shouldn't need that sort of praise to maintain my confidence if I'm going in to win at the first place, should I?

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't need that sort of praise to maintain my confidence if I'm going in to win at the first place, should I?
Praise or encouragement are valuable resources that people need, because confidence cannot be only built in isolation. I don't think that you need praise to maintain your confidence, however IMO confidence is harder to maintain on your own if you're the only person reinforcing it.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
You have one primary issue going on that keeps you from handling slow power sweeps the way you would like (assuming you and the opponent are playing with a good connection, and your reflexes are average).

In a match you have a LOT more on your mind than you do in the lab practicing stuff. Of course it is easy to recognize, block and punish a power sweep when you are focused solely and that one, single act over and over. Even when you have the CPU throw in a few more moves to mix it up, it barely tests your recognition and reaction reflexes.

In a real Tekken fight, though, not only are you on the look out for an additional 100+ attacks that the opponent might toss out, but you are thinking about your own offense as well while (likely) dancing about for position and evasion. Don't forget that circumstances for everything I just listed changes every fraction of a second, and that doesn't even account for random distractions going on at the same time, like people talking next to you, or an extended thought about the tacos you want for dinner in an hour.

To deal better with all that in a real match, you have to keep your mind as clear as humanly possible. Tuning out the out-of-game distractions is obviously helpful in that regard, but you can also do more in-game as well. For awhile, try to play against a character that has a power sweep with a single mindset: "I'll get hit by any attack except THAT attack."

You won't focus on winning the game as much as winning against that one tactic. The way it works is to simply stand and block on defense after your offensive turn is "over". Don't step, don't back dash. Don't crush his predicted moves, don't counter interrupt them either. Just stand and block.

You are now automatically stopping all highs and mids. If he tries a throw, of course you can attempt an escape. The main thing, however, is that you are laser locked into reacting to his power sweep to block and launch it.

The more you approach it that way, the easier it will get over time. Don't worry if it takes awhile for it to be natural. The idea is that you are building up muscle memory, which takes time for everyone. You can still use Practice Mode for more repititions as you look to memorize the animation, but actual battles against another player is where you will grow the most if you go about it in a structured way like this.

Cheers! I have read this carefully and it actually helped me quite a bit in these last few weeks. One other crucial advice I've been given by some awesome folks on local practices is to constantly keep eyes on your opponent's character when watching the screen. I didn't even notice my eyes mostly rested on my own fighter most of the time!

Now that I am around Destroyer (for which, among many, I have ERA to thank for), I very rarely even see snake edges being thrown out at all pretty much. The players probably (rightfully) assume the move is too unsafe.

And also... Man, watching some of my earlier recorded matches really gives me an idea as to how much I improved my reflexes and decision making. It's amazing how fast you can grow when you just find what kind of practice method works for you. But I still keep telling myself:

"Remain humble. Learn from match to match. Don't chase ranks. Don't be afraid to ask questions."

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Cheers back at you. I'm glad the advice helped you.

There's no issue in the game that challenges any of us that someone else hasn't already conquered. The only question is whether or not we individually choose to keep at it with the right attitude until we conquer it ourselves.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Praise or encouragement are valuable resources that people need, because confidence cannot be only built in isolation. I don't think that you need praise to maintain your confidence, however IMO confidence is harder to maintain on your own if you're the only person reinforcing it.
I agree. Praise and encouragement is helpful, but it shouldn't be necessary to remain confident in a tournament. Or in other words, my goal should be to always try and play at my best and not go in thinking I already lost (because I lack the confidence to beat my opponent).

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Praise and encouragement is helpful, but it shouldn't be necessary to remain confident in a tournament. Or in other words, my goal should be to always try and play at my best and not go in thinking I already lost (because I lack the confidence to beat my opponent).
I have the same attitude pretty often which makes winning even harder than it initially is.

There's a difference between being modest and being unsure of myself, is what I tell myself. I'm surprised how much I have won despite my usual attitude.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Okay the new features are good but I've got a bone to pick. Summary for those who missed it:
Free features and Punishment training, expanded sample combos (actual decent ones on a per launcher basis) and the new replay function which actually gives you tips of what you failed to punish etc during the match.
The paid feature is frame data in practice mode . Charging for frame data is really messed up imo. That sort of thing should have been free man.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Needing to pay for frame data display and a basic one on top that when this shit should have been in at launch is absolutely fucking insane

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This paid DLC for frame data is a disgrace. Is it at least included in the season 3 pass ? EDIT : Looks like it is, still bullshit though.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yep, Okubo explicitly said that he couldn't due to company policy when asked by Kayane on whether SC6 will include frame data visible in the training mode.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Would I be to late to join learning this game?
Suddenly my circle of friends decided to play this game and they know what they're doing.

Looking at YouTube some people explain the basics but use some stuff that I still don't get

Also using Shaheen so far... is he difficult?

Edit: still reading the op post

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Suddenly my circle of friends decided to play this game and they know what they're doing.

Looking at YouTube some people explain the basics but use some stuff that I still don't get

Never too late to learn Tekken amigo.

Shaheen isn't difficult execution wise at least. Also doesn't have a lot of moves. So yeah he's fine to start with

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation

Nah, it's not too late. In fact, there hasn't ever been a more perfect time for a newcomer to Tekken.

Didn't you hear? In-game frame data, block punishment training and a detailed replay system is coming soon in a patch. That means an inexperienced player like yourself has a decent shot at making top 10 in the next Evo tourney, something that veterans could only dream of after decades of being forced to learn this stuff on their own. Congrats in advance.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's not too late. In fact, there hasn't ever been a more perfect time for a newcomer to Tekken.

Didn't you hear? In-game frame data, block punishment training and a detailed replay system is coming soon in a patch. That means an inexperienced player like yourself has a decent shot at making top 10 in the next Evo tourney, something that veterans could only dream of after decades of being forced to learn this stuff on their own. Congrats in advance.

Only if you pay your $4, though.

$4 = frame data = top 8s for free.

Don't pay = lifetime of 0-2.

The choice is yours!

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Holy Jesus, I am absolutely loving Kazumi. Decided to try her out on a whim and ended up spending the last three days labbing and player-matching with her in long sessions.

I don't know if I've ever clicked so fast with a character before.

Her b2 is useless now though, right? As far as I can see it doesn't wallsplat anymore.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Kazumi's B2 is still safe if I recall and still covers space, so I think its still fine. Not as good as before but still good.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in Germany, Malekith won with his Asuka against DBP, who plays Bob. Also was a lot of fun. My fav part was probably, when
Malekith got into the Grand Finals by timeout.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Fergus still in Winner, SuperAkouma just went in losers after some mindblowing match against a Steve...

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
2D is fine (hell, Eliza is barely mid tier). They just fucked up his balancing. For the ammount of meter he gains, the risk/reward for the D3 mixup is completely stupid.

At least we got some Marduk in losers finals and Grand final lol (even if he switched to Akuma for the last match).

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
2D is fine (hell, Eliza is barely mid tier). They just fucked up his balancing. For the ammount of meter he gains, the risk/reward for the D3 mixup is completely stupid.

At least we got some Marduk in losers finals and Grand final lol (even if he switched to Akuma for the last match).
While you're spot on about Eliza I'd rather not trust them to balance 2D chars again given how iffy balancing Geese has been and how messed up the akuma situation is lmao.

Also The Jon Switching to ditching Marduk for akuma was heartbreaking thing to see hahah

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Judging how they nerf characters mid to low tiers and buff characters already high tiers, I don't know if they have much more 3D players ah ah ah.

Yeah, still salty about Lee lol.
I think in season 3 they did a good job normalising the top dogs, by axing something's or making them harder. But the direction they went with Lee was hilarious. Making things easier is opposite what needs to be done with him LMAO

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear at this point Akuma is Tekken's version of Hogaak during it's run in Modern,
0049e68d-0caf-474f-9523-dad343f1250a.jpg

They're both:
  • Attacks from an unconventional axis (jump-ins/graveyard)
  • Feature moves that would be considered otherworldly by their games's standards (FADC/Bridge from Below)
  • Top tier
  • Require specific tech to beat (anti-airs/hardcore graveyard hate) that you have to pull out immidiately or you'll lose to them, but even if you do have the tech they can still kill you regardless with other means
  • Difficult to play
The only thing keeping Akuma from having the same overwhelming metashare Hogaak had IMO is due to the fact that unlike in card games fighting game communities have a concept of character loyalty so people are less willing to just jump ship to the strongest character (tho from interviews it seems like Pakistan have a lot of players that fit the bill)