• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Everything done with Leroy was intentional. Pretty much all his launchers lead to 75 to 80 damage easily. He has frame advantages in so many situations he shouldn't. Once d+3,2 hits, you are practically screwed. Even moves like d/f+2, 1+2 that you want to launch punish leave you at a weird angle on block. You don't create all of that by accident. It's one way to make sure your character sells a lot. I had to buy Leroy just so I could practice against him. lol. After picking the game back up again recently, I somehow easily reached true tekken god prime so I don't know if I'll go back to this game.....ever.

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Murray is the worst PR person for this game. "Real fans" what a shitshow. They ruined T7's reputation for being the most balanced fighter this gen and apparently didn't even care that much.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
The replay system seems very useful.

The system did really pointed out to me punishments that I was not aware or on other cases that could improve with a different one.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's a start. This was bound to be imperfect, let's hope they improve it and don't forget to put it in the next game at launch (like many other things).

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if whiffing punishes could be avoided if you could use the simulated frames from rollback netcode. Should your game have that, of course.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The replay system is extremely useful for players like myself. Seeing your opponents inputs can help me find what moves they're using so I can manually lab them in practice mode, see what kind of frames and pushback there is and figure out what the best way is to deal with them. This is really going to help my match-up knowledge for some characters. It should also help beginner players but it's a shame it only gives punish tips for some unsafe on block moves and sometimes they're not even optimal. It also would've been cool if it showed which strings are duckable and which strings can be stepped or even interrupted which is something a lot of new players struggle with. But it's a good start and a step in the right direction. I can see them adding more to this and polishing it further with every update.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Is it normal for ones online rank to fluctuate wildly?
I'm trying to get into tekken again and started playing ranked for the fist time. I rise a bit then come across an Asuka. I get beaten in a bunch of games in a row and my rank craters. I then beat a steve and akuma a bit to raise up. Finally, I get knocked down again by a Nina, a very unfamiliar matchup.
It just feels like some farm or be farmed system where trying to grind out games against tricky opponents/unfamiliar matchups is heavily dis-incentivized.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is it normal for ones online rank to fluctuate wildly?
I'm trying to get into tekken again and started playing ranked for the fist time. I rise a bit then come across an Asuka. I get beaten in a bunch of games in a row and my rank craters. I then beat a steve and akuma a bit to raise up. Finally, I get knocked down again by a Nina, a very unfamiliar matchup.
It just feels like some farm or be farmed system where trying to grind out games against tricky opponents/unfamiliar matchups is heavily dis-incentivized.

It's definitely not unusual. You can sometimes climb up several ranks and fall down even more in a single session. Just try to learn something from it.

Does the replay function really not work on matches played in lobbies?

Oh my god that would be incredibly stupid.

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
this, Markman is great on Twitter

Idk why they just haven't straight up hired MarkMan to do all comms. Let Murray be like Mishimaster and do their work in the shadows.

There's a lot of story behind this. I was offered a job by Bandai Namco Ent. many many years ago. I never wanted to take it because I also want to remain a fan of TEKKEN and have the freedom of being a fan. I never want to (heaven forbid) grow to hate TEKKEN. That's the main reason I only work with Bandai Namco Ent. and the TEKKEN Project Team, instead of working directly for them.

I am in charge of global business development at Evo Championship Series and for ten/o (a production team mainly focused on fighting games), as such, I'm able to do what I can to help highlight and improve the experience for TEKKEN for those watching. I love the series and want to help enable others to love it too. There's a lot of great individuals and teams working on TEKKEN from the outside. That's just where I prefer to be.

ten/o is in charge of the TEKKEN World Tour this year. We'll be working closely with Bandai Namco Entertainment and the TEKKEN Project Team to create something amazing for TEKKEN fans, enthusiasts and competitors. Hope you look forward to it.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
There's a lot of story behind this. I was offered a job by Bandai Namco Ent. many many years ago. I never wanted to take it because I also want to remain a fan of TEKKEN and have the freedom of being a fan. I never want to (heaven forbid) grow to hate TEKKEN. That's the main reason I only work with Bandai Namco Ent. and the TEKKEN Project Team, instead of working directly for them.

I am in charge of global business development at Evo Championship Series and for ten/o (a production team mainly focused on fighting games), as such, I'm able to do what I can to help highlight and improve the experience for TEKKEN for those watching. I love the series and want to help enable others to love it too. There's a lot of great individuals and teams working on TEKKEN from the outside. That's just where I prefer to be.

ten/o is in charge of the TEKKEN World Tour this year. We'll be working closely with Bandai Namco Entertainment and the TEKKEN Project Team to create something amazing for TEKKEN fans, enthusiasts and competitors. Hope you look forward to it.
Ah I Figured they would have tried to get you to work for them directly lol. Anyway, I can respect that it was your own decision. And yeah looking forward to the tour as usual, hopefully by then BNE would have sorted out this controversy

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the precision !

Did you hear anything on the possibility of future Namco fighters implementing rollback netcode ?

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Thanks for the insight!

Haven't touched the game since mid-december, but I'll tell you when I've tried it out (if no one else beats me to it).

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I think it's actually healthier for the player if they take a break from the game until the developer fixes its nonsense. I ended up ditching Soul Calibur 4 due to Hilde being broke (ring out setups from almost anywhere), and haven't been able to motivate myself to come back to the series since then.

So with Tekken, rather than try and fight through the misery that is Leroy, I just stay completely away so the bad aftertaste doesn't get stuck in my mouth.

I can honestly say I still have enthusiasm for the game; too bad I didn't avoid the two Matrix sequels with this mindset.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I didn't play for weeks now, and with the netcode upgrade of Garou Mark of the Wolves, I've got my hands full learning a new game.

EDIT : Wow, even Pokchop is streaming SFV now...

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
If only some of them gave that other 3d fighter Bamco has a try. One that is in a pretty good state right now and really fun :/

Last edited:

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Get ready for some Leroy "adjustments", my friends.

Oh, and one more thing, if you've been using the replay feature:

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get why fighting-games have such a problem with replays and patches, not just Tekken but fighting-games in general. Couldn't they copy and store the files from the old patches relevant for the moves etc. and then have a replay load these? It's not like textures or models have to be copied being redundant most of the time if only the properties of moves change and not a character model.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
Is everyone On the ps4 version is a fucking loser? If i win i get messages calling me a spammer or get really salty if they win they call me noob or get salty that i left?

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone On the ps4 version is a fucking loser? If i win i get messages calling me a spammer or get really salty if they win they call me noob or get salty that i left?
Kind of, I talked about this earlier.

In online Tekken (or most online competitive games), a lot of people just play online to win and boost their egos, that's the end all be all of their entire experiences. It's not even about the game at that point. People who send hate mail think that the game revolves around them, they are the best player and if they win, it's because they're better than you and if they lose, it's your fault.

It's partially the reason why I started playing Tag 2 online and then stopped recently, coming from PC to PS3, I forgot that people can just message you whenever they want. So instead of getting incessant hate mail, I basically just started blocking everyone I came into contact with, just so I wouldn't have to read their bullshit. A big chunk of people just live online. They turn on the PS4, hop online in Tekken just to feel good about themselves for a few hours. Any person disrupting that validation or that feel good trip, in this case you, is the villain in their experience. When in reality they're just entitled scrubs who don't know how to lose.

I don't like posting hate mail stories because I think they are boring and it happens to everyone, but when I used to play on PC, I had a guy befriend me after I beat him 10-0 with Negan. He friended me and I gave him the benefit of the doubt and accepted his friend request, thought maybe he wanted me to help him with the Negan matchup. He came in with the most prototypical hate mail fuckshit like blah, blah, blah, you only won because of Negan gimmicks you suck, you're only in Player Match smurfing because you know you'll lose your rank, blah, blah, blah. I had a nonchalant, "well you lost, not me", reaction, he basically self-destructed himself out of my friends list and from that point I just didn't fuck with strangers I met online anymore.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The day I put my message on "friends only" when playing fighters, my PSN online experience improved ten fold, at least.

sasuke_91

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think hate mails are pretty funny, but that's just me. Honestly, ever since Tekken 7 came out I got a lot more messages asking me for advice than hate mail. I know that hasn't been everyone's experience though.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, Knee here. Normally I upload my matches, vlogs or funny highlights but for the first time I'll be talking about a character. Leroy Smith right here.

It's been about two months since he was released and there has been controversy about this character ever since. This character is just too strong. At Lunar New Year there was a really big tournament in Japan, EVO Japan. There were 963 or so participants, over 900 people. All the Tekken players knew that there would be a lot of Leroy players there, we all were expecting it. But the reality was far worse than what we predicted. I think about 80% played Leroy.

Of course I played Leroy in qualifiers a few times but thought it was wrong and picked Steve and Zafina and… lost. At the end I was playing Zafina and lost against Leroy. But was it just me? No. All these top Tekken players lost against Leroy.

Seeing that, well I have always said that I never get sick of Tekken and always find it fun but this time, I got a bit sick of it. Why? I've been playing Tekken for over 10 years and every time a challenge presented itself I would practice and overcome it. But after losing against Leroy I realized, this 'Tekken' that I've been playing all this time is something where if the developer makes an OP character there is no way to overcome it. Even Knee if they were to pick Leroy. Seeing all these famous top players drop out I really felt it. Back in December I did a survey on Twitter about whether Leroy was OP. There were 3897 votes cast and out of it, 76.9% thought it was OP. Leroy's strength really is unbelievable.

So basically in EVO Japan the top 8 was like this. Leroy v Julia, Leroy v Leroy, Leroy v Leroy, Leroy v Bob. Out of 960 people 8 made it and this happened. So Book won this tournament and his speech was Just pick Leroy. That was it.

People said that they stopped watching this EVO Japan, that it was the worst one yet. I too think that there were too many Leroys and also other characters weren't able to overcome Leroy and it depressed me. Leroy won at the end, no one overcame him.

But seeing the Tekken you've been playing all this time and the experience be denied by a character that came out two months ago is something that really makes you think. So a lot of players got upset so they nerfed him, but it really isn't a nerf. Out of 100%, they nerfed like 10% tops. More like 5% really.

I think Akuma, Geese, Leroy they have something that other characters don't. So you can't help but feel at a disadvantage facing these characters. There are people enjoying those characters and people who started playing Tekken because of them but in my opinion, because of all these DLC and collaboration characters I think there are more people who stopped playing or left Tekken completely. I hear a lot of people say that due to these Geese, Akuma, Leroy characters they don't find Tekken fun and just don't want to play. There are also people who say that they won't play until those characters are nerfed.

It's not easy balancing a fighting game but I think the direction they chose for Tekken 7 is wrong. The game came out in 2015 and I played it for five years… when Akuma and Geese came out to be honest the Tekken that I was playing until then got destroyed. The game knowledge I had, whether I had the frame advantage or was in an advantageous situation, these characters destroy that. Whether by using an energy bar like invincible EX Dragon Punch or they jump over my low attack and do an aerial attack, removing half my HP bar. Or I think I press a safe button of -10 to -11 frames then get hit by jab DP EX cancel and lose half my HP. These things go against 'Tekken' it's not Tekken any more is what I think. But I kept playing because it's my job and Akuma and Geese characters came from other games. But this original Tekken character called Leroy is worse. There are strong characters in any game of course but this is over the line.

For example in LoL there are OP champs but they have a ban system and sort of create a balance. But Tekken doesn't have so you are forced to fight them. But it's so strong I don't see a way to defeat him. I have no idea what his counter is. People say that Leroy's counter is Leroy. He's basically invincible at this point.
From now on I plan to create more content where I share my ideas on how to buff or nerf certain aspects of a character to balance it. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken 7 from the very beginning has been nothing but a disaster for me. Went from very avid Tekken fan to very bitter Tekken fan.

People on this site, many of whom I assume are new fans of the franchise or migrated from 2d fighters, got very defensive when I suggested we should have had Tekken 8 a while ago. A lot of people seem to be content with Tekkens new dlc model of getting broken new characters indefinitely. We're on season 3. Kill this game already.

What I've learned from all this is that the Tekken Project team will sink as low as they need to go to make money, whether that means making Akuma canon or adding guest characters from Final Fantasy and Walking Dead to increase interest in the franchise. Tekken 7: when you need other high profile franchises to save your game's ass.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 from the very beginning has been nothing but a disaster for me. Went from very avid Tekken fan to very bitter Tekken fan.

People on this site, many of whom I assume are new fans of the franchise or migrated from 2d fighters, got very defensive when I suggested we should have had Tekken 8 a while ago. A lot of people seem to be content with Tekkens new dlc model of getting broken new characters indefinitely. We're on season 3. Kill this game already.

What I've learned from all this is that the Tekken Project team will sink as low as they need to go to make money, whether that means making Akuma canon or adding guest characters from Final Fantasy and Walking Dead to increase interest in the franchise. Tekken 7: when you need other high profile franchises to save your game's ass.
If the next Tekken is anything like Tekken 7, I'll gracefully see myself out.