• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.newsweek.com

Televangelist sells $125 'Silver Solution' as cure for Coronavirus

The product contains chemicals known by the state of California to be dangerous, according to Bakker's website.

A guest on televangelist Jim Bakker's show suggested on Wednesday that a product sold on Bakker's website might be effective at protecting against and killing the novel coronavirus.

The guest, naturopathic Dr. Sherrill Sellman, said that Silver Solution—a product that can be purchased on Bakker's web store—has been found to be effective on viruses related to the one from Wuhan. Further, she said Silver Solution could bolster a person's immune system and potentially make their bodies less susceptible to the virus.

"Well, let's say [Silver Solution] hasn't been tested on this strain of the coronavirus, but it's been tested on other strains of the coronavirus and has been able to eliminate it within 12 hours," she said. "Totally eliminate it. Kills it, deactivates it. And then it boosts your immune system so then you can support the recovery, because when you kill the virus, then the immune system comes into action to clear it out. So you want a vibrant immune system as well as an ability to deactivate these viruses."

Newsweek contacted Sellman via her website for further comment and clarification but did not receive a reply before publication.

The novel coronavirus emerged from the Chinese city in late 2019. The virus has since spread to 24 other countries, including the United States, though the majority of those infected remain in China. As of Wednesday, the virus has infected over 45,000 people and killed at least 1,100, according to the World Health Organization.

According to its page on Bakker's website, Silver Solution is a product that "works faster, longer and more efficiently than other silvers to support your immune system." Information on the website does not state how the product is to be used. It currently sells on Bakker's website in a variety of packages with a 16-ounce bottle costing 40, but shoppers can purchase bundles of the product that cost up to $300. The label states that the solution contains deionized water, but no other ingredients.

87241_jim-bakker-feb2020.png_9b3276ba-9e48-4790-aae0-1d0a593c829c_x2.png

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie when I read the thread title I was hoping it was going to end in "...has died"

Fuck Jim Bakker. He is a goddamned con artist and preys on peoples insecurities and fears.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Televangelists have more legal protection than pharma companies and vitamin companies AND are tax exempt in most cases.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like a foreign illness to make some money poisoning people with fake medicine. How godly.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
"Well, let's say [Silver Solution] hasn't been tested on this strain of the coronavirus, but it's been tested on other strains of the coronavirus and has been able to eliminate it within 12 hours," she said. "Totally eliminate it. Kills it, deactivates it. And then it boosts your immune system so then you can support the recovery, because when you kill the virus, then the immune system comes into action to clear it out. So you want a vibrant immune system as well as an ability to deactivate these viruses."

How is he even allowed to spew that? Not only is it all complete and utter bullshit but the product is potentially harmful in addition to giving people a false sense of security.

And you may get argyria and turn blue/purple like that famous 'blue man' nutjob.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, I was hoping this stuff would contain colloidal silver so Jim Bakker might turn blue like that one guy.
blueman-TA.jpg

Televangelists have more legal protection than pharma companies and vitamin companies AND are tax exempt in most cases.
And Jim Bakker is one of the elite few shysters out of all of them who's done actual prison time, too!

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Would you believe it if I told you Alan Dershowitz served as this guys parole attorney

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
"Don't trust those gross, rich medical doctors with their medication and research. Instead, trust your friendly disgustingly rich megapastor (who has enough capital to buy and sell multiple doctors and hospitals a hundred times over btw) and his personal god-granted 'medication'! Don't think about why god needs to heal with medication at all let alone at a price; just give me money or die in hell after getting the satanic 'foreign' disease."

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so the usual opportunistic snake oil shit.

The label states that the solution contains deionized water, but no other ingredients.
Lol

How is this even legal, exactly?
A lot of these "natural" or "alternative" remedies have all sorts of fine print filled with weasel words that effectively say that they are not official medicines, that they are not liable if the "medicine" does not work as advertised, and that you understand and accept all of these risks if you consume them.

Same reason why drug stores can sell all sorts of kooky magnetic bracelet crap in the naturopathic medicine shelf.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
This seems super fucking illegal, but this dude is rich, Christian, and white so I'm sure nothing will come of it.

But seriously how the fuck can you just stamp "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration" on the product page but still be broadcast saying "well it's cured some coronaviruses for sure" and not be fined or anything Jesus Christ God bless the USA.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For a supposed Christian, this guy's aiming for a preeeetty deep circle of hell with that level of fraud

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He's still at it after all these years. Absolutely shameless. Is he still hocking those doomsday kits?

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I actually went to Bakker's (then basically defunct) Heritage USA when I was a kid living in South Carolina. It wasn't until years later that I gained an appreciation for how it was in fact a monument to just how far you can get in America if you're willing to be a completely shameless, amoral shitheel.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think what also would be good for killing the Wuhan coronavirus would be to ingest mercury, just pure mercury. Just swig that shit down man, virus gone.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I actually went to Bakker's (then basically defunct) Heritage USA when I was a kid living in South Carolina. It wasn't until years later that I gained an appreciation for how it was in fact a monument to just how far you can get in America if you're willing to be a completely shameless, amoral shitheel.
Why go to Carowinds when you can visit Heritage USA! Glad My family members never fell for this guy and his wife.