• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man_PS4_Ledge_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVZAa4tDDIMq9-Ka4KSDCON1Mkw-4-sF-IlqRDzdyplE.jpg

There's a really big emphasis on how much Insomniac really wants to nail the web-swinging in the game, believing it to be one of the core aspects of what will allow players to truly feel like Spider-Man. It's incredibly reassuring to read about their dedication to nailing that feeling, especially thanks to the last sentence in the following quote:
All superheroes have a moment in their origin story at which their existence transcends the mundane and they become something truly unique and wondrous. For Insomniac Games'Spider-man it wasn't being bitten by a radioactive arachnid, or the murder of a beloved family member at the hands of a career criminal they'd previously let off the hook. No, for this particular superhero, it was learning to swing.

Movement was the very first thing the game's developers worked on, quickly assembling an unfriendly neighbourhood of grey blocks for their prototype web crawler to work his way around. And it's something they've been refining ever since - and will continue to do so, says Spider-man Creative Director Bryan Intihar, 'until the day the producers say stop, we're shipping'.

Telegraph talks about the similarities between Spider-Man and Batman Arkham, particularly in the side activities area, but quickly dismisses them once they got a feel of the combat:
The Arkham analogues are obvious and, in truth, a little uninspiring but the latter at least lets us square up to the game's combat system - and almost immediately those caped crusader comparisons are blown away like cobwebs in the wind. Insomniac have wisely accentuated their star's agility and athleticism and whereas Batman's stoic brutality borders on the balletic, Spider-Man careers around the construction site setting like a hyperactive acrobat.

Sure there are recognisable tropes, such as the telltale tingle of spider-sense denoting an incoming attack that can be countered, or shield-carrying heavies who must be vaulted and attacked from the rear, but these are more than offset by Spider-Man's unique moveset. Punching and blocking are mapped to the Square and Circle buttons respectively but the fun really starts with the web-slinging Triangle button. Spider-Man can use it to fling himself around the environment or zip over to distant threats, and naturally it's a handy offensive tool too. Holding down L1 and R1 together allows Spider-Man to interact with items, crushing groups of goons under heavy furniture or using lighter objects to scatter them like skittles.

"Obviously he's Spider-Man: he's acrobatic, he's using webs. We want you to feel like you're fast and furious. You're ping ponging around the environment, you're jumping up, you're leaping down, you're zipping down to a guy, you're doing awesome finishing moves… and when you combine that with great environment action we hope players say Spider-Man fights with a lot of style."

No details on Mary Jane's gameplay, but there were some clues given:
"I can't go into a ton of details but I will say: if you think of what an investigative journalist might do, that might give you some hints. If you imagine a scientist, that might give you some hints. I'm not going to dodge your question completely but I will say that think about their careers and what they possibly could be doing in those careers and you might have a better idea of what the gameplay could be."

Lead writer John Paquette went even further, hinting the pair could even work together.

"Spider-Man is a hero by swinging around and beating up bad guys and doing the Spider-Man things. MJ is a hero by using her skills as a journalist to uncover corruption and bring down the bad guys in a much different way and it's really a balance of those two. And imagine if they worked together, then what could happen? And beyond that, imagine if they're former boyfriend and girlfriend and haven't talked to each other in six months and were forced to come together. To me, as a writer, that's good grist for the mill."

As impressive as Insomniac's superpowered combat and traversal mechanics are, it's these more human elements that could be the key to nailing the fantasy of feeling like a superhero, and make the difference between a good game and an amazing Spider-Man game.

"Early on, that was one of the things that Bryan and I really wanted, to be able to play these characters," says Pacquette. "We're not a movie, we're not a comic book - we're a game, and we experience the story by playing a game. When you make a character playable that's when you can really put yourself in the shoes of that character and fulfill this fantasy that we have when we play games.

"So when I think about being Spider-Man, it's not just a guy who swings around the city, it's a guy who swings around the city who has to balance his life with a guy who's regular like me."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...nds-on-preview-insomniacs-web-slinger-aiming/

Aside from the preview impressions, Telegraph's also gotten their hands on some exclusive images and concept art, the most notable being our first good looks at Norman Osborn and Shocker:

Spider-Man_PS4_Norman_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqfxtMul8ODvEIwvD83BlDOsMosldKz_LpndIm9gSrbf4.jpg

Spider-Man_PS4_Shocker_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqBrCifn5xnthtremjcJIaa98XpyRP_NYeA7rnpYrGehE.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/...s-new-screenshots-concept-art-show-insomniac/

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
"Early on, that was one of the things that Bryan and I really wanted, to be able to play these characters," says Pacquette. "We're not a movie, we're not a comic book - we're a game, and we experience the story by playing a game. When you make a character playable that's when you can really put yourself in the shoes of that character and fulfill this fantasy that we have when we play games.
"So when I think about being Spider-Man, it's not just a guy who swings around the city, it's a guy who swings around the city who has to balance his life with a guy who's regular like me."

Everything about this game sounds great so far!

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome, seems like they played the same demo Gameinformer did. Those images of Norman Osborn and Shocker were in the magazine for Gameinformer, but the top one wasn't, wish I could see the rest of the gallery, but I don't want to register.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Shocker joined the Court of Owls?
Thought of Owlman the second I saw him. It looks weird knowing that's Shocker, but... I can't say I don't like the design itself.
Everything about this game sounds great so far!
I really love the emphasis they're putting on balancing Peter and Spider-Man. Both halves are integral to the character, so it's such a relief to know that Insomniac knows that as well.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Fingers crossed this means more than just cutscenes and a few Peter Parker Quantic Dream segments.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many more previews will be coming out, there's Telegraph and Gameinformer, unless they chose 1 American outlet and 1 UK outlet to get some hands on time.

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously don't understand people who think this won't crack a 90 on meta. Guerilla was so close with a generic ubisoft clone open world game. Spiderman looks so much more focused and is made by a team with experience to make open world games. The budget for this is probably dwarfing HZD and maybe even GOW.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't understand people who think this won't crack a 90 on meta. Guerilla was so close with a generic ubisoft clone open world game. Spiderman looks so much more focused and is made by a team with experience to make open world games. The budget for this is probably dwarfing HZD and maybe even GOW.

My guess is some reviewers won't get past the few similarities it shares with The Arkham Games.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it could. But kind of like GOW - it needs to really surprise in its depth & originality. I think them mentioning elements that are derivative of Arkham Asylum for example won't be received that warmly.

Insomniac haven't been a dev to crack the 90 range for awhile. I think they usually lack that extra layer of depth personally. We'll have to see here.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People genuinely think Horizon was this amazing game that got robbed out of a 90 on MC...it's not.

Horizon is a good game with a good story, a good combat for the most part, but there are so many parts it can do better...it's Guerrilla's first attempt to do something different and it's a good effort though there is absolutely no shame that it has many aspects to improve on. It simply didn't deserve 90 MC.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
People genuinely think Horizon was this amazing game that got robbed out of a 90 on MC...it's not.

Horizon is a good game with a good story, a good combat for the most part, but there are so many parts it can do better...it's Guerrilla's first attempt to do something different and it's a good effort though there is absolutely no shame that it has many aspects to improve on. It simply didn't deserve 90 MC.

Havent gotten a chance to play Horizon, but I can easily see the sequel getting a 90+ score on PS5.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The article was great and it really sounds like Insomniac understand what it takes to make an incredible Spidey game.

I'm not worried about anything in particular besides perhaps the side quests.
I hope these are meaningful with a good narrative supporting them besides being a reason for a collectathon or some sort of derivative open world thing.

Besides outposts. I don't get tired of those and they will work nicely for a Spidey game haha

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Havent gotten a chance to play Horizon, but I can easily see the sequel getting a 90+ score on PS5.
You should play it, it's a good game and yes, I can easily see the sequel surpassing it.

My problem is rather that people view it a bit too highly and use it as a prime example that it's incredibly difficult to get a 90+ MC score...well, that's bullshit imo, because it has so many things to improve on. Spider-Man can get 90+ if it's good enough, which I hope it is.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You should play it, it's a good game and yes, I can easily see the sequel surpassing it.

My problem is rather that people view it a bit too highly and use it as a prime example that it's incredibly difficult to get a 90+ MC score...well, that's bullshit imo, because it has so many things to improve on. Spider-Man can get 90+ if it's good enough, which I hope it is.

I agree and if it was 90 it would be the same things. They can improve human combat, traversal, City much better in AC origins, side quest story better in The Witcher 3, many little details like tutorials or visual interaction of Aloy with foliage and snow..

But I am very excited by Spiderman

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

Either that or everyome caters to Nintendo for 90+ scores /s. Its not that hard for Sony, but even I noticed Horizon wasnt getting a 90, when it was coming out around the same time as Zelda. But I believe Guerilla learned their lesson, as Horizon was a blueprint for what they can achieve with the IP. I hope they bring MP to the sequel like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted.

I plan on haha when I get a PS4. Wish I had one though

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lmao

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
But isn't it?
It's a clone of Ryse, TLoU, Dark Souls and Tomb Raider.
Neither tomb raider nor ryse have done anything original. Having a shoulder cam does not mean ryse clone lol, also games before it have done shoulder cam. If camera position is considered cloning then every game released has been a clone till now. God of wars combat resembles dark souls can call it copy sure. But that's where it stops. It's narrative is as good as tlou's is what the reviewers have said not that it's a clone of tlou. Your comment just shows how misinformed you are and that you probably never checked the reviews thread at all for the game.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Investigation sections I like that. This game is going to be wonderful

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the conversation is no longer about Spider-Man by this point.

Anyway, I thought the web slinging in the last few Spider-Man games was fine but Sunset Overdrive had great movement so kind of interested to see a new take.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Good job derailing the topic

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
The only problem I've had so far with the game's previews and trailers, is that the characters' faces stink. It's not on par with the other aspects of the game IMO.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The whole Peter Parker, Spider-Man, and Mary Jane, investigative reporter, possibly teaming up is giving Clark & Lois vibes. And not to draw any more Batman comparisons, but since Arkham and Telltale's Batman are the only games with detective gameplay I've played, I hope MJ's sections will play somewhat similarly.

Shocker's design is very interesting, and not just because he looks like Owlman. His suit looks like some cutting edge tech, which we've (well, I haven't) never seen him in before. I'd like to think it's because it's not just Peter who's been upgrading his tech through the years. Villains gotta up their game too, you know? That does make me worry that Green Goblin here might end up looking more like the Raimi version instead of the comic book version, since he's another tech-based villain.
Couldn't help but think of Redford in The Winter Soldier as soon as I saw this lol.
yMvIKeJ.jpg

Diggin' the designs though, especially Shocker's.
A-hah! I knew he looked familiar. Although, he also reminds me of:

latest

Like a fusion of the two, maybe. It would be so ironic if he was actually played by Denis Leary. George Stacy becomes Green Goblin, hah.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm still wondering whether Norman has become Green Goblin yet. If he hadn't in the 8 years Spider-Man is active, does that mean Gwen is still alive?