• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a dumb question but does anyone think credit card price protection would work for an open box item? I ask because a Best Buy near me has an open box B7A and the total price with tax would be $1,561.55 while Cleveland AV's total price is $1620.00 and then I would use my credit cards price protection service to get the price in the Cliff Deals listing (http://www.cliffsdeals.com/LG_OLED55B7A_55-Inch_4K_Ultra_HD_OLED_TV_1034989.html ). The benefits are two-fold: My credit card's price protection service offers a max of $500 per claim which would mean a even deeper discount on the open box Best Buy B7A TV ($1,061.55 to be exact) and I could pick up the TV today instead of having to wait for it to arrive (and I would like to have it before Thanksgiving).

Nope it won't work on open box item. Best Buy has it for 1600 before tax do if you just buy it New in store you can get it instantly and get it orettty close to the 1100.
Newegg had it for 1400 yesterday. Keep your eyes open you can price match the tv at Best Buy to new eggs price then price match it again with your credit card

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping to see the Sony X930E 55" set drop down to like $1600, maybe $1500 for a Holiday sale but doesn't look likes its happening. May wait it out and see.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
NewEgg is having a flash sale on 55" and 65" OLED LG B7A TVs: https://flash.newegg.com/Campaign/1...&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-I4U+LLC

I just ordered a 55" and it was $1,399 tax free with no shipping and thanks to my credit card I should be able to get about another $300 off of it thanks to price protection.

Nope it won't work on open box item. Best Buy has it for 1600 before tax do if you just buy it New in store you can get it instantly and get it orettty close to the 1100.
Newegg had it for 1400 yesterday. Keep your eyes open you can price match the tv at Best Buy to new eggs price then price match it again with your credit card

Yep. That NewEgg sale is still happening.

Oct 30, 2017
I just watched this Youtube video on the latest patch for the Sony EX900 and i now have a question:

when I'll buy this TV next Friday, will it have the couple of first patches and I should keep it like that and not connect it to the Web?

I'm all new to this 4K stuff and TVs that have patches like games... man I feel old...

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
NewEgg is having a flash sale on 55" and 65" OLED LG B7A TVs: https://flash.newegg.com/Campaign/1...&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-I4U+LLC

I just ordered a 55" and it was $1,399 tax free with no shipping and thanks to my credit card I should be able to get about another $300 off of it thanks to price protection.

Is Cliff Deals a legit site that credit card companies use for price protection? $1099 for the an OLED is nuts.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this Youtube video on the latest patch for the Sony EX900 and i now have a question:

when I'll buy this TV next Friday, will it have the couple of first patches and I should keep it like that and not connect it to the Web?

I'm all new to this 4K stuff and TVs that have patches like games... man I feel old...

I would just keep it disconnected from wifi if that's a concern. It seems like the juddering issue exists primarily with onboard Netflix and Hulu apps from this patch. If you're using an X1X/PS4 Pro/blu-ray player you'll be fine.

Not sure I buy into Sony patching in poorer performance though, that seems highly, highly anti consumer.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is there any way to easily and straightforwardly figure out what the equivalent US model is to a European model? Being from Belgium, there are literally zero reviews or tests on like 90% of the televisions I'm looking at.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Is Cliff Deals a legit site that credit card companies use for price protection? $1099 for the an OLED is nuts.

Based on the information I got in this thread and research I've done outside of ResetERA, yes. It's a legit site to reference for price protection, though I would not recommend buying directly from them. Having said that, I wanted to get this TV for the lowest price possible to start with cause I still really feel like I'm still rolling the dice here. I think I'm going to wait a little bit before I send that Cliff Deals link to Citi as I do have 60 days and I'm guessing Cliff Deals will probably have that price for a little while?

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I just bought a Sony 55" XE9005 and one month later a huge outlet in my country is having a promotion on the Sony KD-55" A1 oled. Can anyone advise if it is worth getting the A1 oled series by Sony, because I am pretty satisfied with the XE9005, but a deal this good can not be missed.

Oct 30, 2017
I would just keep it disconnected from wifi if that's a concern. It seems like the juddering issue exists primarily with onboard Netflix and Hulu apps from this patch. If you're using an X1X/PS4 Pro/blu-ray player you'll be fine.

Not sure I buy into Sony patching in poorer performance though, that seems highly, highly anti consumer.

I agree with that last part...

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I just bought a Sony 55" XE9005 and one month later a huge outlet in my country is having a promotion on the Sony KD-55" A1 oled. Can anyone advise if it is worth getting the A1 oled series by Sony, because I am pretty satisfied with the XE9005, but a deal this good can not be missed.
From what I understand, the A1 OLED suffers from 40-50ms of input lag, so you're going to want to avoid using it for gaming with those figures.

SpeedNut

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the exact same position! I have a solid XBR from nine years ago that is still running strong. It's a Sony KDL-52XBR6. I don't really have the money right now but I've been wanting to upgrade to a 4K setup since last year so I'm strongly considering buying the 55" Sony 900e. That seems to be the best value this year.

But I'm just not sure how much of an upgrade it's going to be for everyday use. I really wish I could sell this TV for a few hundred dollars to offset the cost...

I got about as good of an approval as I could get "We don't need it but whatever you think". BOUGHT. Haha!

Hopefully it'll get here on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I paid $3200 after tax for my C7 and I don't regret it (thank you no interest financing) but DAMN that NewEgg deal is out of control

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017

Not that firmware patches haven't caused issues for other sets, but that person's channel is full of videos with titles like "SONY X900E HAS OLED OWNERS FURIOUS!" and "X900E is magically epic!" along with a bunch that seem to just bash HDTVTest... and that's before you scroll back to see stuff like "A MESSAGE TO LIBERAL CRYBABIES!"

I'd wait to hear from other sources before worrying about it.

Oct 30, 2017
Not that firmware patches haven't caused issues for other sets, but that person's channel is full of videos with titles like "SONY X900E HAS OLED OWNERS FURIOUS!" and "X900E is magically epic!" along with a bunch that seem to just bash HDTVTest... and that's before you scroll back to see stuff like "A MESSAGE TO LIBERAL CRYBABIES!"

I'd wait to hear from other sources before worrying about it.

I didn't notice the other vids and I actually like and trust the HDTVTest reviews so I will take this one lightly. Thanks man!

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Is NewEgg a legit place to buy an LG Oled and still retain the warranty? This is being sold by a 3rd party seller through NewEgg as well. Anyone have experiences with them? The price is the best I've seen so far.

Edit: Return policy is not great, I think...30 days and 15% restocking fee, not sure if replacement has the 15% fee or not.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
C7P should be here soon. My anxiety (it can get nasty) is flaring like a B. That burn in possibility. lol

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an Era topic for speaker and soundbar recommendations? I haven't been able to find one and could really use some enthusiast insight.
The Old Place had a home audio thread, I believe... but I haven't seen one here yet. If I were to make one, I presume it would just go in the main forum (like this one), not the Hangouts area?

As for audio recommendations, it's tough. They are even more subjective than TVs, with way more variables (do you want a soundbar, or can you fit regular speakers? satellite, bookshelf, or tower? do you prefer bright or warm sound? etc.) Given some guidelines, I'm sure people on here can help.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The Old Place had a home audio thread, I believe... but I haven't seen one here yet. If I were to make one, I presume it would just go in the main forum (like this one), not the Hangouts area?

As for audio recommendations, it's tough. They are even more subjective than TVs, with way more variables (do you want a soundbar, or can you fit regular speakers? satellite, bookshelf, or tower? do you prefer bright or warm sound? etc.) Given some guidelines, I'm sure people on here can help.
That's a shame; hopefully you or someone else can start one in the near future.

As for what I'm looking for, it's not that much, as I'm far less discerning with audio than I am with something like video. I'm wanting a decent 2.1 soundbar (though I won't scoff at a 5.1 system for that price-point) that won't break the bank (~$200), preferably with ARC. It's for a small room, so it doesn't need to be especially loud either.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
That's a shame; hopefully you or someone else can start one in the near future.

As for what I'm looking for, it's not that much, as I'm far less discerning with audio than I am with something like video. I'm wanting a decent 2.1 soundbar (though I won't scoff at a 5.1 system for that price-point) that won't break the bank (~$200), preferably with ARC. It's for a small room, so it doesn't need to be especially loud either.

Soundbar or soundplate? I could help, I am loving Hi-Fi stuff.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just put a hold on an lg oled c7 55". Someone stop me :(

It's $2000 Canadian, really good price. But it's so much money.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Last edited:

Hwy_61

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know anything about dedicated 4K Blu-ray players? I'm wondering if I should get one. I have an Xbox one X, so would it be worth it? I'm currently lookin at the Sony UBP-X800.

fwpx

Oct 26, 2017
I'm staring at this newegg deal on this 65" B7...I've been staring at c7...can anyone give me the dumb version of the differences? do I even actually care?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm staring at this newegg deal on this 65" B7...I've been staring at c7...can anyone give me the dumb version of the differences? do I even actually care?
B7 has silver bezels (instead of black), a black stand (instead of silver), slightly lower quality speakers, and according to Rtings is far worse at alleviating image retention than the C7, which is confusing considering they're the same panel, but that's what they say. (An image retention score difference of 1.2 for the B7, compared to 5.4 for the C7)

It's that last point in particular that's keeping me from jumping on the B7 deal, instead waiting for something on the C7.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017

The main difference is aesthetic. Audio you'll need to double check, small differences here and there. Video quality will be the same.

PSA: All OLED panels are supplied from LGD.

Sony, Panasonic, LG etc all use the same panel. They have the same advantages and disadvantages. One company is not more or less likely to have better/worse banding, image retention, etc. It all comes down to panel lottery/variance. What separates the sets from one company to another is video processing.

All LG OLED models have the same video processing (B, C, G, W)

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The price is excellent and I like the size (I only have ~2.5" of height to play with), but reviews seem pretty mixed. Any particular reasons you recommended this besides the price?

EDIT: It's a little taller than my setup requires, but I could make it work. What do you think of this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725FQF3Q/?tag=era0f0-20

I am working in retail and the sound was pretty great for this price range, also it offers HDMI as well, most sound bars in this category only offer optical.

The Vizio looks decent too, cannot say anything about the sound though, we do not have Vizio products here in Germany.

Handal

Oct 25, 2017
I just put a hold on an lg oled c7 55". Someone stop me :(

It's $2000 Canadian, really good price. But it's so much money.

Just paid mine yesterday also. If you have the money, go for it, you won't regret it. I installed mine yesterday and it's so nice to have pure black once again (had a plasma before).

And if you bought the C7 at Best Buy, deal with the salesman to include the 4 years extended warranty for 250$~. That's the price I got on it, and it covers burn-in so you will have a peace of mind for the next 4 years.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any X900E owners here, how's your cable/OTA/satellite TV picture look? Alright? I read some reports of people's sets not scaling content properly.

Wiseguy

Oct 29, 2017
The price is excellent and I like the size (I only have ~2.5" of height to play with), but reviews seem pretty mixed. Any particular reasons you recommended this besides the price?

EDIT: It's a little taller than my setup requires, but I could make it work. What do you think of this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725FQF3Q/?tag=era0f0-20

If you're in the US and have a Costco membership, this Vizio is on sale for $99. It's 2.1 and sounds really good. 2.5 inches high. Only coax or digital. No HDMI
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-SB3621n-E8-36"-2.1-Channel-Soundbar-System.product.100366930.html

The Vizio 5.1 system is on sale for $150 at Costco as well.
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-SB3651-E6-36"-5.1-Channel-SmartCast-Soundbar-System.product.100367294.html

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
If you're in the US and have a Costco membership, this Vizio is on sale for $99. It's 2.1 and sounds really good. 2.5 inches high. Only coax or digital. No HDMI
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-SB3621n-E8-36"-2.1-Channel-Soundbar-System.product.100366930.html

The Vizio 5.1 system is on sale for $150 at Costco as well.
https://www.costco.com/Vizio-SB3651-E6-36"-5.1-Channel-SmartCast-Soundbar-System.product.100367294.html
Appreciate you pointing these out to me. Any idea how either of these compare to the SB-3821 and SB-3851 systems? I see those getting recommended a lot as excellent soundbar systems for the money, and I'm just wondering how much worse/similar these two at Costco might be.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
B7 has silver bezels (instead of black), a black stand (instead of silver), slightly lower quality speakers, and according to Rtings is far worse at alleviating image retention than the C7, which is confusing considering they're the same panel, but that's what they say. (An image retention score difference of 1.2 for the B7, compared to 5.4 for the C7)

It's that last point in particular that's keeping me from jumping on the B7 deal, instead waiting for something on the C7.

The guy at best buy told me that the C model has an antiglare on the screen that makes reflections show up less than on the B. Dunno if that is true.

Wiseguy

Oct 29, 2017
Appreciate you pointing these out to me. Any idea how either of these compare to the SB-3821 and SB-3851 systems? I see those getting recommended a lot as excellent soundbar systems for the money, and I'm just wondering how much worse/similar these two at Costco might be.

The only difference may be the size. Those are 38, the Costco versions, 36 inches. I think they also redesigned the subs on the 36 inch ones. Those may be last year's models as well.
One thing to note is that the 5.1 system has casting over Wi-Fi built in for Google home if you have that device and are interested. Although with the 2.1 system you can use its Bluetooth with your phone or an Amazon Echo/dot. I think they probably sound the same or better than the 38 series, not worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So, for the first time, I decided to see how Netflix's "4K" streaming looked on my B6. I already knew that it was going to be heavily compressed, since an average 45 - 60 minute show is ~7GB, which is an extremely far cry from the bitrate of the uncompressed source. Well, I don't know if it's just a compression issue, film grain, or the way the two interact, but The Punisher in "4K" is a snowy mess and it's especially bad anytime they are outside with a bright blue sky in the background. Streaming is never going to replace physical media in terms of quality for a very long time, if ever. While some might not really care that much, it also begs the question: why even bother with 4K in the first place then? The "4K" streams don't even look any better than native 1080 from a Blu-ray and in some cases, not even that good yet. The main difference is that you get HDR/Dolby Vision which can enhance the image in other ways, but it's still going to look better from a disc.

Also, those complaining that even the 2016 OLEDs don't produce enough nits, and that you "need" 1000+ nits for even acceptable HDR must not watch anything in a dark room. HDR/Dolby Vision in general are actually obnoxious and painful depending on the show and scene. While it might look more realistic or natural, people in real life do not constantly transition from a bright sunny day, to a dark room with a bunch of specular highlights from blazing lamps or car lights, back to a bright sunny day. You have time to adjust to your surroundings and your eyes do not constantly dilate and constrict in a rapid succession. Even at 600 nits, my eyes were on fire after three hours. I can't imagine ever viewing anything on the supposed goal of 4000 nits to match the source.

Last edited:

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide if I should get an 55" Oled TV (LG OLED55B7D) or an 65" LED ( Samsung MU9000 or Sony X900E). They're all within my price range which is 1800€.
I sit 3,5m away, so I don't know if 55" is enough. Also the MU9000 uses Edge-Led. How does he perform in dark scenes? Deep blacks are important since I watch mostly in a dark room.

Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.