• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Respin

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of 65 inch X930E for $2000? So torn between this model and B7A....gonna use it for gaming and netflix btw

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
What do you guys think of 65 inch X930E for $2000? So torn between this model and B7A....gonna use it for gaming and netflix btw
Are u looking 65 oled or 55? I love my 55 oled but 2k for a top end 65 led is a good deal. If u can get the 65 oled with a black friday deal (they normally 3k) get that if not thr 930e is a sweet tv.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
God buying a TV is stressful. Went with an LG UJ6300 (gah, forgot that copy pasting on this forum remembers the font xD), and forgot about the advice in this thread. Realised it had bad image retension, and it displayed ads on its smart hub. I've canceled that order and I'm gonna go with a Sony X720E

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Ordered a C7, probably should have waited for a HDMI 2.1 and VRR support, but what the hell, wanted an OLED for a while.

Hyped.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
man I'm stressing out over buying a LG C7 or just with a 900E. I literally just want to watch 4k movies very nice in hdr and have my Xbox X games look good.

Someone tell me which to go ?? 55 900e is 1k while c7 is like 1700. Is the picture much better than the 900?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm in your situation.. not sure to buy now or not. Why did you get the C7 instead of the B7?
Well the VRR thing is kind of a big deal, or rather, might be later on down the line, especially gaming wise, but I don't know how important it will be. Developers will always target 30 and 60, regardless of if our TVs can support variable framerates anyway. Plus I've never seen Free/G-sync, so I don't know what I'm missing.

In terms of films however, which is what's more important to me, I'm not too concerned about 2.1.

As for C7 versus B7, they're the same thing, I just prefer the C7 stand really. Ironically, (given the C was curved previously), the curvy stand on the B makes me think of curved screens, I don't like it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

man I'm stressing out over buying a LG C7 or just with a 900E. I literally just want to watch 4k movies very nice in hdr and have my Xbox X games look good.

Someone tell me which to go ?? 55 900e is 1k while c7 is like 1700. Is the picture much better than the 900?

The picture is much better on the LG B7/C7 compared to the 900E. At current prices the LGs are a crazy good deal. You'll regret it if you don't go that route!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, I'm going to pick up the 49 XE900 today for the One X. Reviews are unanimously rating this set as the best mid/high range.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I just bought that exact set last week for about $2000. I'm very happy it, an absolutely beast of a TV. I think I'll go OLED the next time (4-5 years) I buy one though.

Last edited:

IdodgerI

Oct 31, 2017
England
I can get (via a relative's employee discount) the 65 B7 for £2,187, or the 55 B7 for £1,377. It's from Argos though which only come with one year warranty.

Should I bite?

Edit: Should I be concerned with just a 1 year warranty?

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAF746KW6654?icid=WP_0_11162017

Holy crap. I don't think I can pass this one up. Stacks with Ebates, my cash back CC and I think it may be Tax free. Thoughts? Coming from a Samsung KS8000. Which I love. But I was just biding my time for a great deal on an OLED with 120hz 1080p support for PC as well.
That's a great price, and a massive upgrade from a KS8000. Hard to turn that one down.
Did it. This is why I bought the KS8000 though. I picked it up for $700 and some change as a holdover TV until a TV capable of replacing my monitor arrived. Now I can consolidate my setup, and get some more space for VR in the process. I need to sell the KS8000 and one of my monitors now though. While I can probably eat the cost of selling a monitor online, the TV is another story. I'll have to sell that locally and tech is hard to move where I live.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
My 1080p/60hz monitor is dying (it always crazy flickers until it warms up) but I can't find any decently priced 1440p sets here (at around 22 inches), that kind of sucks, I thought I could get something for less than or equal to 200 by now since my current cost around 250 years and years ago but they seem to start at around 250 here (Greece) so I'm looking at at least 300 for a decent model. Nevermind Gsync ones starting at 500 (I see on Amazon there should be a very few much cheaper ones around at least but they aren't offered here). I don't want to get another 1080p one since I want it to last years (going for performance over resolution so no 4K for me until like a couple more upgrades/system overhauls at least) but I might have to if they don't fix the prices here :(

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are peaks. At least as far as the two movies that Vincent was comparing in his video, Apple 4K was generally sitting at around 15 - 18Mbps, which is the same as Netflix.

For sure. Black levels > HDR/DV > Resolution. Native 1080p content looks good on my B6, and it looks even better when I upscale it with my PC.

For the discerning viewer it's not though. Consoles being convenient isn't the only reason they are as popular as they are either. They also have a legacy of exclusives you can't play any other way until decades later.

I conducted my own tests. They aren't peaks. At least not on the films I tested the first week of launch. I've got the screenshot I can post up for reference when I finish work.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

Depends on your viewing situation and priorities. $700 is no small difference. The 900E is about the best value you can find right now. It won't have the black levels or viewing angles of the OLED, but still has a great image itself. Gets quite bright, colors are vibrant, and has good motion processing.

The biggest things I'd consider are viewing conditions. If you are watching in a very dark room, the black levels will be more noticeable and the 900E's local dimming may not cut it. If you have any reasonable amount of light (and especially if you use a bias light), then the 900E's local dimming will give decent looking black levels.

Also consider your seating. If you will be sitting at a significant angle from the TV, the 900E would not be good, as the viewing angles will cause the colors to wash out past 40 degrees or so.

I considered the same two TVs (900e was 1500, C7 was 2000). I ended up with the 900E and have been very happy with it. Some people will tell you that anything other than an OLED is worthless. Take that with a grain of salt. Balance the pros and cons vs the price difference, which is significant.

Nov 11, 2017
Go with the 930e , 65 inch for that price is a remarkable deal. Ive owned both. The 930 is a much better gaming set. Great black levels, no burn in worries, hdr game mode is worlds better as it's not dim, and since the tv can get so much brighter, you will see better highlights. Input lag at 4k is essentially the same between the 2 sets. The only way I would buy an oled to use for gaming, especially reading the stories over at avs forums, where people varied content , mixed up useage, and still getting burn in, is if you buy a geek squad warranty that covers burn in.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

it sounds like you should just get a 900e 55". It's only $1000. The OLEDs still seem to have a ways to go, with the possibility of burn-in people are mentioning, and some future format issues still being up in the air. As long as we're in-between TV "generations" then perhaps its a good idea to get the cheaper upgrade. Maybe it will be temporary for you. I know I'm definitely leaning towards the 900e. The steep costs past that model have quite a bit of diminishing returns on your investment. The 900e is the best value around.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a 65 inch LG C7 and......coming from my ten year old 37 inch Samsung.

Yooooooo...........its fucking ridiculous. And not just because I'm only sitting a couple feet from it lol.

I first looked at some SD content and yes it's okay. Everything is popping like crazy.

Then some YouTube 4k hdr videos, which look great in all their shitty compressed glory.

Then I switched to the pc hdmi input and jizzed instantly.

I don't think I've ever seen such sharp.....anything on a tv before. I'm sitting like 3 feet away and it's so clear.

And the colours...

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find much info on it, but is Best Buy shelving their TV deals after today until the 23rd? I was planning on picking up an X900E before next Thursday, but it won't be the end of the world I suppose.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The LG C7P.... this thing is driving me insane.

First of all, it seems like no matter what I set the picture settings to, whenever I turn it off and back on, everything changes. Even when I do "apply to all inputs."

Turned on my TV today and the auto power saver setting was on. I'VE NEVER ENABLED THAT.

What is wrong with this thing?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up a 75" X900E. I love how OLED looks, but I need at least a 70" for my setup, and OLED jumps from $3000 for a 65" to $20000-60000 for a 77". I figure by the time I'm ready to upgrade again, prices will be more reasonable.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ks8000 came damaged today :(

Last edited:

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on your viewing situation and priorities. $700 is no small difference. The 900E is about the best value you can find right now. It won't have the black levels or viewing angles of the OLED, but still has a great image itself. Gets quite bright, colors are vibrant, and has good motion processing.

The biggest things I'd consider are viewing conditions. If you are watching in a very dark room, the black levels will be more noticeable and the 900E's local dimming may not cut it. If you have any reasonable amount of light (and especially if you use a bias light), then the 900E's local dimming will give decent looking black levels.

Also consider your seating. If you will be sitting at a significant angle from the TV, the 900E would not be good, as the viewing angles will cause the colors to wash out past 40 degrees or so.

I considered the same two TVs (900e was 1500, C7 was 2000). I ended up with the 900E and have been very happy with it. Some people will tell you that anything other than an OLED is worthless. Take that with a grain of salt. Balance the pros and cons vs the price difference, which is significant.

are you saying if I watch a movie in the dark, like I usually do.. it won't look good on the 900e compared to the C7?

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The LG C7P.... this thing is driving me insane.

First of all, it seems like no matter what I set the picture settings to, whenever I turn it off and back on, everything changes. Even when I do "apply to all inputs."

Turned on my TV today and the auto power saver setting was on. I'VE NEVER ENABLED THAT.

What is wrong with this thing?

Apply to all inputs only applies to the settings on the very first screen i.e. contrast brightness etc. Everything in Expert settings and advanced etc have to be set individually for each input.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
how do I calibrate my LG c7 to professional settings ? I don't want to hire someone to do this..
You need some basic measuring tools to do a Pro calibration. Along with proper software, etc. Depending on how deep you want to go, you might as well pay for someone to do it for you between the cost in purchasing the right equipment and learning curve. If you've already spent $1600-2000 on a set, what's another $400 to ensure you're getting the very best out of it?

I had Chad B do my B6 and it was worth every penny:

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Well the VRR thing is kind of a big deal, or rather, might be later on down the line, especially gaming wise, but I don't know how important it will be. Developers will always target 30 and 60, regardless of if our TVs can support variable framerates anyway. Plus I've never seen Free/G-sync, so I don't know what I'm missing.

In terms of films however, which is what's more important to me, I'm not too concerned about 2.1.

As for C7 versus B7, they're the same thing, I just prefer the C7 stand really. Ironically, (given the C was curved previously), the curvy stand on the B makes me think of curved screens, I don't like it.

C7 also has a little bit better input lag than the B7 too under game mode.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
are you saying if I watch a movie in the dark, like I usually do.. it won't look good on the 900e compared to the C7?

It'll still look good, you would just see deeper blacks on the OLED in dark scenes. The 900E will actually excel in bright scenes.

How dark are you talking about? Pitch black room? If so, you may notice blooming from the local dimming. However, a very simple way to offset this is get a bias light strip. I have one on my TV and I've watched in the dark with and without it. It's surprising how it makes the blacks look deeper. It still won't look OLED deep, but still pretty decent.

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017
https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAF746KW6654?icid=WP_0_11162017

Holy crap. I don't think I can pass this one up. Stacks with Ebates, my cash back CC and I think it may be Tax free. Thoughts? Coming from a Samsung KS8000. Which I love. But I was just biding my time for a great deal on an OLED with 120hz 1080p support for PC as well.
Is this flash Newegg a legitimate site? Is there a link to it from the regular newegg store? I can't seem to find one.

The reason I ask is that I might want to use this to bring into a Target or Best Buy and have them price match, and perhaps sneak in a (Target) employee discount. They'll price match newegg but I'm not sure about this flash deals site.

DeciduousForm

Oct 27, 2017
Is this flash Newegg a legitimate site? Is there a link to it from the regular newegg store? I can't seem to find one.

The reason I ask is that I might want to use this to bring into a Target or Best Buy and have them price match, and perhaps sneak in a (Target) employee discount. They'll price match newegg but I'm not sure about this flash deals site.

There's this page about it here: https://www.newegg.com/Info/NewsroomDetail.aspx?ID=1167&Type=3

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Did it. This is why I bought the KS8000 though. I picked it up for $700 and some change as a holdover TV until a TV capable of replacing my monitor arrived. Now I can consolidate my setup, and get some more space for VR in the process. I need to sell the KS8000 and one of my monitors now though. While I can probably eat the cost of selling a monitor online, the TV is another story. I'll have to sell that locally and tech is hard to move where I live.
Where do you live? What size is the tv?

Oct 28, 2017
I posted in the gaming BF thread but this is probably where I should have posted. Is there a Black Friday aggregator for TVs and other hardware?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
C7 also has a little bit better input lag than the B7 too under game mode.
That's both good, and concerning to hear. As from all I'd checked, the only difference was in the physical design. The fact that TVs do actually perform differently, even if it's in my favour, is a little worrying. Do you know of other differences in the performance?

I forgot to mention at the time, not just the stand, but the C7's outer edge is also black, like the bezel, which I prefer to the metallic finish on the edges of the B7. I picked the C7 due to that and the stand.

EDIT: Just been checking Rtings, seems that all recorded difference are just random panel inconsistencies. The input was the same. They concluded the following:

The LG C7 is a slight step up in LG's OLED product line and is almost identical to the LG B7. The only difference between the two is the fancier stand and trim design on the C7 and the lack of Dolby Atmos support through the slightly less powerful speakers on the B7. The B7 can still passthrough Atmos though, so most people are better off with the cheaper TV.

Last edited:

IdodgerI

Oct 31, 2017
England
I can get (via a relative's employee discount) the 65 B7 for £2,187, or the 55 B7 for £1,377. It's from Argos though which only come with one year warranty.

Should I bite?

Edit: Should I be concerned with just a 1 year warranty?
Talking to myself here but I'm thinking of taking the plunge on both sets (65" for the lounge, 55" for gaming upstairs) and I'll have 30 days to take them back should a better deal pop up elsewhere.

Looking for TV's has got me thinking about speakers though. Are there any soundbars that are particularly recommended, or are soundbars useless? I'm not very clued up on this subject! Any advice appreciated :)

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking to myself here but I'm thinking of taking the plunge on both sets (65" for the lounge, 55" for gaming upstairs) and I'll have 30 days to take them back should a better deal pop up elsewhere.

Looking for TV's has got me thinking about speakers though. Are there any soundbars that are particularly recommended, or are soundbars useless? I'm not very clued up on this subject! Any advice appreciated :)
Just got a 65in C7 today and the speakers seem quite powerful to me.

Quite clear and with thundering (almost overbearing) lows even on full tilt.

If you can find an E7 deal (basically a B/C7 with integrated sound bar), you'll probably scratch that itch in one go.

I don't know about where you are, but I've found a UK site selling the 65in E7 for cheaper than the B/C7.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If you can find an E7 deal (basically a B/C7 with integrated sound bar), you'll probably scratch that itch in one go.

I don't know about where you are, but I've found a UK site selling the 65in E7 for cheaper than the B/C7.

An e7 cheaper than a b7? That's insane. If you see any 65" e7's in the States for a deep discount please link.

Oct 30, 2017
Quick question for 4k users:

My GF doesn't like the 4k "crispyness" and enjoys more "old 1080p" image. I'm planning in buying the Sony ex900 for my X1X next Friday. On the 4k sets, are there options to "dumb it down" (depending on what you are watching) so that you get and "older feel"?

Nothing

Oct 30, 2017

My GF doesn't like the 4k "crispyness" and enjoys more "old 1080p" image. I'm planning in buying the Sony ex900 for my X1X next Friday. On the 4k sets, are there options to "dumb it down" (depending on what you are watching) so that you get and "older feel"?
It's always a good idea to read your posts aloud before hitting submit.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What in the hell.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That Sony LCD is a fixed resolution display. So everything will be scaled to 4K on it. The Xbox One X scales all output to 4K as well, but it can be set to output at lower resolutions (with supersampled antialiasing). It is still more desirable to let the Xbox One X send a 4K signal straight to the TV rather than sending it a 1080p antialiased image...

The "crispyness" that you are referring to is likely ringing artifacts from a TV that's in store display "Vivid" mode with high levels of artificial sharpening. A properly-calibrated 4K set at home will deliver a more pleasing image for your girlfriend. Try RTINGS' settings for the 900E:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Just turn the sharpness all the way down if you want it to look like ass.

Make a custom settings profile called 'Vaseline' for her.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Time to dump GF, upgrade to an even bigger OLED with the money you're saving with that.

IdodgerI

Oct 31, 2017
England

Oh, the built in speakers are reasonable? I assumed they would be no good, sounds promising then.

Yeah I saw a deal being shared around earlier today for the 55" E7 for £1,500, down from £2,500. Am I right I'm thinking this TV cannot be wall mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.