• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the sony x900e!! Pretty excited to use it for my xbox x. Any guides on how to calibrate it? Thanks

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried for my wallet if the 65" LG price drops like that 55". After buying a 65KS8000 last year I told myself that I'd wait at least until holiday 2018 to make the move to OLED. But here I am trying to resist the itch.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the sony x900e!! Pretty excited to use it for my xbox x. Any guides on how to calibrate it? Thanks

Many people are using rtings settings, though they use custom mode and I've read elsewhere that cinema pro is more accurate. So, I go with that.

For myself:

SDR movies: Cinema Pro and the only settings I change are turning local dimming to high and turning brightness down (I use brightness 13).

HDR movies: Cinema Pro, no changes.

SDR games: Game mode, turn local dimming to high, turn x-tended dynamic range to low, brightness to 13

HDR games: Game mode, no changes.

Note on brightness: Should always be max in HDR. For SDR, it is purely to taste, as you can't blow out detail. However, the default is exceptionally bright. Below 9, it will use pwm to dim the image, so some prefer to avoid that.

On X-tended Dynamic range: Should be high for HDR (TV will set this by default). For SDR, many say don't use it and I agree for movies/TV, as it makes them look slightly unrealistic (sdr cinema pro has it turned off by default anyway). For games, though, I think it actually really looks good and adds a lot, but I keep it on low.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
Many people are using rtings settings, though they use custom mode and I've read elsewhere that cinema pro is more accurate. So, I go with that.

For myself:

SDR movies: Cinema Pro and the only settings I change are turning local dimming to high and turning brightness down (I use brightness 13).

HDR movies: Cinema Pro, no changes.

SDR games: Game mode, turn local dimming to high, turn x-tended dynamic range to low, brightness to 13

HDR games: Game mode, no changes.

Note on brightness: Should always be max in HDR. For SDR, it is purely to taste, as you can't blow out detail. However, the default is exceptionally bright. Below 9, it will use pwm to dim the image, so some prefer to avoid that.

On X-tended Dynamic range: Should be high for HDR (TV will set this by default). For SDR, many say don't use it and I agree for movies/TV, as it makes them look slightly unrealistic (sdr cinema pro has it turned off by default anyway). For games, though, I think it actually really looks good and adds a lot, but I keep it on low.
Thanks for the help. Will give it a go!

Nov 2, 2017
I guess I'll try one more time: are there any specific 4K/OLED recommendations regarding minimal input lag? I play largely fighting games so this is crucial for me. I'm looking to maybe do something on black friday

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll try one more time: are there any specific 4K/OLED recommendations regarding minimal input lag? I play largely fighting games so this is crucial for me. I'm looking to maybe do something on black friday
Try this: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming (rtings recommendation for gaming tv's) and look at the review for each TV on that site, and scroll down to the input lag section, then you can decide for yourself if it's acceptable for the relevant models.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017

The B7/C7/E7 all have a 21ms lag when on game mode. It is excellent though by default not as striking as the other modes. You can mess with settings for a better image, https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/736o62/lg_oled_c7b7_2017_calibrated_settings_for_xbox/ is a good starter guide.

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered my Sony 65" 930e. I'm now on the hook for $2,400 and it freaks me out that I paid so much for a TV. Oh well, sometimes you have to enjoy the fruits of your labor, right?

giphyxharu.gif

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
So i'm moving today and my oled will only fit in my car if i lay it flat in the trunk. Is it safer to put it face down or face up?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be more than happy to stick with my 55" 1080p Sony KDL55W800b. It has a phenomenal picture and 24ms latency, which I enjoy.

When I can get an affordable 4k OLED with HDMI 2.1 spec, sub 15ms response time, 10 bit HDR, and a gorgeous picture... then I'll upgrade. But, I will be very excited when that day comes.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey I asked about this in the black friday thread, but I thought i'd ask here since you all know a lot about tvs, it's about the 55 inch TCL p607:

there's a listing on ebay, the tv is being sold for $680 with free shipping, but there is a 20% off code you can use, this would bring the price down to about $544. Sound too good to be true? Anyone else have experience buying a tv off ebay? The seller has great feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-55-120...113696&hash=item25d9488bff:g:o1IAAOSwvflZR9th

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Hey I asked about this in the black friday thread, but I thought i'd ask here since you all know a lot about tvs, it's about the 55 inch TCL p607:

there's a listing on ebay, the tv is being sold for $680 with free shipping, but there is a 20% off code you can use, this would bring the price down to about $544. Sound too good to be true? Anyone else have experience buying a tv off ebay? The seller has great feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-55-120...113696&hash=item25d9488bff:g:o1IAAOSwvflZR9th
I'd be very cautious about buying a TV off of eBay. Even if the seller is reputable and you get an amazing deal, if you have trouble with the set, you're not exactly able to send it back for a replacement. I'd definitely advice paying a bit more for the peace of mind of buying it from a local store or off of Amazon.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I would never play a fighting game on an OLED. Not only due to input lag (even 21ms can be a bit too high for certain games), but because of the static health bars and meters. While OLEDs might have "less" of an issue with image retention or burn in compared to plasmas, I'm still going to treat mine like a plasma. I ended up having SF4 ultra meters permanently burned in on my plasma, during a period where everyone was proclaiming burn in wasn't really a thing anymore. I also ended up having six health bars stuck at the top of my screen for over six months from simply using training mode for three hours straight with MvC3. I just use a PC monitor for fighting games anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Holiday sales. I wanna see a Sony X930E for $1500 or $1600.

If true, I have good news for you. I was at Best Buy today was told by the Sony rep who was trying his hardest that you'll get burn-in on an OLED LG within 25 mins of a static logo on screen, they'll be on sale.

He mentioned that the 930e will be on sale for 1499.99 (55") starting tomorrow thru Black Friday. So be on the lookout at Best Buy. With that being said, I still can't decide C7/930e both sets looked good. 930e so nice and bright, but I noticed blooming/grayish black bars in some scenes.

Still concerned about dimness on the OLED and peak brightness. Also, burn-in...not based on the rep, he's trying to sell the Sony LCD's wonder if he'd say the same about Sony OLEDs.

Never thought buying a 4K tv would be this daunting.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
My coworker wants to sell me his barely used 55" 930D for $500 and I'm VERY tempted to bite

If true, I have good news for you. I was at Best Buy today was told by the Sony rep who was trying his hardest that you'll get burn-in on an OLED LG within 25 mins of a static logo on screen, they'll be on sale.
lmao take anything a brand rep at Best Buy has with a grain of salt. They are all sipping the Kool-Aid and will flatout lie to you to meet their sales numbers.

We have had our A1E on display for a week and it already has an MLB score burn in while none of our 3 LGs that have been on display since April/May have any. We run these TVs 24/7 and don't power them off.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would never play a fighting game on an OLED. Not only due to input lag (even 21ms can be a bit too high for certain games), but because of the static health bars and meters. While OLEDs might have "less" of an issue with image retention or burn in compared to plasmas, I'm still going to treat mine like a plasma. I ended up having SF4 ultra meters permanently burned in on my plasma, during a period where everyone was proclaiming burn in wasn't really a thing anymore. I also ended up having six health bars stuck at the top of my screen for over six months from simply using training mode for three hours straight with MvC3. I just use a PC monitor for fighting games anymore.

How much were you playing these games?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How much were you playing these games?

Quite a lot. For UvC3 I literally only played it on that TV for three hours and never again since. I played SF4 a few hours a day 4-5 days a week. The funny thing about the burn in on the plasma though regarding SF4 is that when other content is being displayed, you can't even really see them at all. Only when I first hit the dashboard of either my PS3 or PS4, the pixels seem to lag behind the rest and you can clearly see the outlines of the meters. Once the image has finally loaded though, you can barely tell anything is there unless your face is really close.

Still, my plasma is now my "junk" TV and the one I use for 1080p games. I played Nioh on it for close to a hundred hours, but even after only the initial first few hours, the stance switching graphic of the UI retains for hours. That's probably going to remain there for a long time. Not going to risk the same thing on a TV I spent three times as much on.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

He mentioned that the 930e will be on sale for 1499.99 (55") starting tomorrow thru Black Friday. So be on the lookout at Best Buy. With that being said, I still can't decide C7/930e both sets looked good. 930e so nice and bright, but I noticed blooming/grayish black bars in some scenes.

Still concerned about dimness on the OLED and peak brightness. Also, burn-in...not based on the rep, he's trying to sell the Sony LCD's wonder if he'd say the same about Sony OLEDs.

Woah I will be on the look out for sure. I actually would like an OLED 4K set but I think I might wait a few more years and the X930E seems like the perfect set for right now that won't destroy my wallet. I'm also increasing size from a 42" set to a 55". Thanks for the heads up!

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
I bought myself a Sony X900E... it looks nice but I don't know, kinda having second doubts as to whether it's worth the additional money for the HDR. Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Just bought a 65 inch LG C7 and......coming from my ten year old 37 inch Samsung.

Yooooooo...........its fucking ridiculous. And not just because I'm only sitting a couple feet from it lol.

I first looked at some SD content and yes it's okay. Everything is popping like crazy.

Then some YouTube 4k hdr videos, which look great in all their shitty compressed glory.

Then I switched to the pc hdmi input and jizzed instantly.

I don't think I've ever seen such sharp.....anything on a tv before. I'm sitting like 3 feet away and it's so clear.

And the colours...
Sorry to say this but Youtube HDR videos are washed out on all 2017 LG OLED TVs. Unfortunately that bug still hasn't been fixed yet which is seriously depressing as I would love to watch all these new DF 4K HDR video on my 65C7.
Also, while I can more or less tolerate the discoloration (right half of the screen pink tint while the left half is blue), the vertical banding is too distracting on my set, so I'm going for a replacement, either same size or downgrading to 55".

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This burn in thing is bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
Woah I will be on the look out for sure. I actually would like an OLED 4K set but I think I might wait a few more years and the X930E seems like the perfect set for right now that won't destroy my wallet. I'm also increasing size from a 42" set to a 55". Thanks for the heads up!

Just an FYI...it seems like Sony has yet to implement the Dolby Vision support on this set. Read, a BB review with someone complaining about it and looked it up and sure enough seems like it might be an issue. That might make my decision a little bit easier maybe.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI...it seems like Sony has yet to implement the Dolby Vision support on this set. Read, a BB review with someone complaining about it and looked it up and sure enough seems like it might be an issue. That might make my decision a little bit easier maybe.

That doesn't really bother me that much. The TV has what I want for the price range i'm looking at, especially on sale.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't really bother me that much. The TV has what I want for the price range i'm looking at, especially on sale.

Fair enough, though others should know since it's something they're advertising and probably factors in on purchasing decisions that many others consider when looking at this set. Still haven't taken it off my list, but it does concern me they haven't delivered on this yet.

Nov 11, 2017
This burn in thing is bullshit.

Been reading stories like this over at AVS Forum , so have to disagree with you.

Welp, 2016 LG 65E6P owner here. I've loved this TV, but just noticed burn-in which I believe to likely be permanent as of last night.

I don't consider my use at all abusive. The main culprit seems to be Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which for anyone familiar with the game, displays red hearts (your life bar) in the upper left corner 95% of the time the game is running. There are only a few scenarios where these disappear briefly. It's also got a temperature guage in the lower right corner with a small bit of orange that I believe is also showing. This is quite visible on red and yellow backgrounds especially, with some visibility on blue. Not visible at all on bright whites.

While I had initially read that burn-in was not MUCH of an issue with these sets, I have been very careful with it. My Zelda play was probably 2-3 hours a day most days of the week, with PLENTY of content (movies, TV shows, anime, news, other games) running in between. Honestly, I never expected my use, since I varied content in between and it did the cleanup cycles each night, to be high-risk. There were rarely if ever days when I'd ONLY play Zelda and not have at least a few hours of TV on the screen, and most days I'd say the TV playback of other content outweighed the gameplay by quite a lot. I'd never ever leave images completely paused on the screen, etc., but obviously since those elements don't move regardless, it was more of an issue than I realized.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not upset about this, but I also don't have much recourse. At this point (I noticed not having played in a couple weeks, though I'm not finished with everything in the game yet), I'm expecting this to be permanent, though I have some small hope it'll get a bit better over time, especially when I'm finished with Zelda altogether. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep using it as normal and end up replacing the TV sooner than planned. I don't see NOT using the TV the way I want, especially when I consider it reasonable, as much of an option. This might be enough to make me reconsider OLED next time, even though the picture it gives me is fantastic and I've loved the set overall.

I honestly wouldn't consider a few hours of gaming daily outside of normal use, though, and this definitely needs to be addressed in future models.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been reading stories like this over at AVS Forum , so have to disagree with you.

Welp, 2016 LG 65E6P owner here. I've loved this TV, but just noticed burn-in which I believe to likely be permanent as of last night.

I don't consider my use at all abusive. The main culprit seems to be Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which for anyone familiar with the game, displays red hearts (your life bar) in the upper left corner 95% of the time the game is running. There are only a few scenarios where these disappear briefly. It's also got a temperature guage in the lower right corner with a small bit of orange that I believe is also showing. This is quite visible on red and yellow backgrounds especially, with some visibility on blue. Not visible at all on bright whites.

While I had initially read that burn-in was not MUCH of an issue with these sets, I have been very careful with it. My Zelda play was probably 2-3 hours a day most days of the week, with PLENTY of content (movies, TV shows, anime, news, other games) running in between. Honestly, I never expected my use, since I varied content in between and it did the cleanup cycles each night, to be high-risk. There were rarely if ever days when I'd ONLY play Zelda and not have at least a few hours of TV on the screen, and most days I'd say the TV playback of other content outweighed the gameplay by quite a lot. I'd never ever leave images completely paused on the screen, etc., but obviously since those elements don't move regardless, it was more of an issue than I realized.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not upset about this, but I also don't have much recourse. At this point (I noticed not having played in a couple weeks, though I'm not finished with everything in the game yet), I'm expecting this to be permanent, though I have some small hope it'll get a bit better over time, especially when I'm finished with Zelda altogether. In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep using it as normal and end up replacing the TV sooner than planned. I don't see NOT using the TV the way I want, especially when I consider it reasonable, as much of an option. This might be enough to make me reconsider OLED next time, even though the picture it gives me is fantastic and I've loved the set overall.

I honestly wouldn't consider a few hours of gaming daily outside of normal use, though, and this definitely needs to be addressed in future models.

2-3 hours a day for how long? I played it around that for a few weeks straight, no burn in at all.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I've had my LG B6 over a year now. I play a ton of Overwatch daily and lots of other games on it. It gets used for Hulu, Netflix, cable (news, sports) etc when I'm not even home.

It gets used a ton. Not a single sight of burn-in ever on the set. I call bs on there being any significant burn-in issues with LG sets.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my LG B6 over a year now. I play a ton of Overwatch daily and lots of others games on it. It gets used for Hulu, Netflix etc when I'm not even home.

It gets used a ton. Not a single sight of burn-in ever on the set. I call bs on there being any significant burn-in issues with LG sets.

Burn-in definitely happens on LG OLEDs. A few people have posted pictures. But a) it's not common and b) some panels seem far more prone to it than others.

However, most of the "OLED get permanent image retention" talk is from non-owners trying to justify their LCD purchases, from what I've seen, particularly at AVS.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'd be into buying it off you but I'm in NJ. It would cost you the price of the TV to ship it lol.
I know :( It's so hard to sell TV's here too. People are very slow adopters of new tech, and tend to be very cheap. I don't think I have to original packing materials anymore either. I held onto them for a long time, but those boxes are a bit too big to keep around (With the foam).

Nov 11, 2017
2-3 hours a day for how long? I played it around that for a few weeks straight, no burn in at all.

Here was his follow up post.....

Okay, so I've had the set since March or April, and from what I can tell, I started Zelda sometime in mid-June. The system logs 225 hours played of Zelda, which is certainly a lot, but considering I've been playing it pretty much steady, 225 divided by 30 divided by 4 (to be conservative) gets to a little under 2 hours a day. That sounds about right, given there were some days I didn't play at all, most days between 2 and 3, and possibly a few where it was approaching 4 hours (but those were very rare). I won't pretend that I played much else during this time; most of my gaming time was for Zelda. I just recently started mixing it up gamewise with a few other things. BUT, the mix of content in general was always high, so it was never ONLY that on the screen for long periods. I'd be surprised if game time amounted to 20% of the total time the TV was on some other content, and probably less than that. (Now that I see TV time as of checking below, it's MUCH less than that...less than 7%).

Also, I should point out it's not just the first few hearts showing. You earn hearts as you progress, and I can see at least 9. (I now have 15 or 16 I think). Which makes me think that some of the burn-in would have had to happen much more recently (like in the last 2 months) than near the beginning of my play.

To answer your question, I'm using the default value in Game mode, which is 95 for OLED light. TV reports total hours at 3280. Variety of content is huge - just about everything. So 225 hours out of 3280 were Zelda.

I say I have no recourse as honestly, I don't think LG will be willing to do anything about this. =/ Even if they did, if it's a flaw in the technology, it's likely to happen again, so I'd probably want to choose a different TV. (And I hate saying that, because everyone LOVES this TV, including me until this happened.)

Thanks for the sympathy, and I'm very sorry to hear you've got Burn In from the news channels. (Ironically, I watch quite a few of those too, but don't detect any burn-in from that yet, though I don't stay on them that long

Many people are now theorizing that it's a cumulative amount of hours before burn in occurs. Look, not trying to be negative on oled. As a matter of fact, most likely I will be picking up a c7 for my movie room, if prices drop enough next week. But I will be buying a geek squad warranty , so if burn in occurs , i will be protected

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here was his follow up post.....

Okay, so I've had the set since March or April, and from what I can tell, I started Zelda sometime in mid-June. The system logs 225 hours played of Zelda, which is certainly a lot, but considering I've been playing it pretty much steady, 225 divided by 30 divided by 4 (to be conservative) gets to a little under 2 hours a day. That sounds about right, given there were some days I didn't play at all, most days between 2 and 3, and possibly a few where it was approaching 4 hours (but those were very rare). I won't pretend that I played much else during this time; most of my gaming time was for Zelda. I just recently started mixing it up gamewise with a few other things. BUT, the mix of content in general was always high, so it was never ONLY that on the screen for long periods. I'd be surprised if game time amounted to 20% of the total time the TV was on some other content, and probably less than that. (Now that I see TV time as of checking below, it's MUCH less than that...less than 7%).

Also, I should point out it's not just the first few hearts showing. You earn hearts as you progress, and I can see at least 9. (I now have 15 or 16 I think). Which makes me think that some of the burn-in would have had to happen much more recently (like in the last 2 months) than near the beginning of my play.

To answer your question, I'm using the default value in Game mode, which is 95 for OLED light. TV reports total hours at 3280. Variety of content is huge - just about everything. So 225 hours out of 3280 were Zelda.

I say I have no recourse as honestly, I don't think LG will be willing to do anything about this. =/ Even if they did, if it's a flaw in the technology, it's likely to happen again, so I'd probably want to choose a different TV. (And I hate saying that, because everyone LOVES this TV, including me until this happened.)

Thanks for the sympathy, and I'm very sorry to hear you've got Burn In from the news channels. (Ironically, I watch quite a few of those too, but don't detect any burn-in from that yet, though I don't stay on them that long

Many people are now theorizing that it's a cumulative amount of hours before burn in occurs. Look, not trying to be negative on oled. As a matter of fact, most likely I will be picking up a c7 for my movie room, if prices drop enough next week. But I will be buying a geek squad warranty , so if burn in occurs , i will be protected

225 hours is insane, so I guess its possible. I'll never get anywhere near that of one game on this TV. Generally I think people who play games that much should be getting a different TV, I use mine 90 percent for movies and TV.

Nov 11, 2017
225 hours is insane, so I guess its possible. I'll never get anywhere near that of one game on this TV. Generally I think people who play games that much should be getting a different TV, I use mine 90 percent for movies and TV.
Agree with u man . I don't want to be negative with the tech , but I don't want to see people that spent $2500 end up with burn in , because they were told if they vary their content they would have nothing to worry about .

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I've played way more games than anything else yet the thing that caused burn in on my panel was... Netflix.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what the difference in sound quality really is between a B7 and an E7? I own a 55 inch E6 but for a 65 E7 its over 500 more than a B7, was wondering if its cheaper to get a B7 and add speakers of some kind.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the difference in sound quality really is between a B7 and an E7? I own a 55 inch E6 but for a 65 E7 its over 500 more than a B7, was wondering if its cheaper to get a B7 and add speakers of some kind.
In general? If you have the space / ability to get separate speakers (floorstanders, bookshelves, anything really) your sound will likely be far better than a soundbar / the built-in audio system of a TV, even the E7. By all accounts, the E7's audio lets you get away with not getting a soundbar, but it's for people who can't or don't want a separate audio system.

Disclaimer: I'm always a proponent of having a receiver/speaker setup, in almost every situation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.