• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Doubtful. Even the 49" size is increasingly niche and more and more are jumping to 65" as a base size. Sizes are increasing as televisions become thinner with less bezel. Modern homes and condos are increasingly cognizant of having empty wall space where televisions can go. We might see a smaller OLED model if the technology continues its rapid adoption and panel manufacturing goes down. Maybe a 45", 55", 65" and 75" series but even then it probably wouldn't happen. Anything under 55" has really been low end or budget minded. And remember 8K is coming as a consumer resolution soon too.

49" is not so niche in the UK. We have much smaller homes than in the US. In my study I have a 49" 4K LG LCD, I don't want a bigger TV in there, it's too small a room. But just because we don't have the space, doesn't mean we don't want the quality.

I'd very keen on a 49" OLED. I know there are issues getting the pixels density high enough to make smaller TV's but I'd certainly welcome one.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Okay great, that's what I want. I don't understand the review at all then.

The GPU will scale the resolution, I'm without a dedicated card at present, but I was just testing out all kinds of resolutions with my beautiful integrated graphics, and I was able to use all manner of custom ones, apart from 1440p oddly, just wasn't available, but that's probably just an Intel thing.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
65" C8 already available for £2399 in the UK. Insane price that. Already £900 off RRP and only about £200 more than a B7/C7

tuco11

Oct 27, 2017
Bestbuy.com is clearing out the 2017 TCL P6 series for 551.99 Worth it to get it or just save and get the TCL 55R615?

you just missed 10% off the TCL R617 this past sat. Amazon also had it 10% off this morning then it went back to $649. For $35 more heck yeah get the R617. Wait and see if they get discounted on Prime Day. I just got mine in last night. I do see some DSE but wow Far Cry 5 HDR Xbox One X looks great. now it is a matter if i can tolerate the DSE or send it back to walmart for another one.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
you just missed 10% off the TCL R617 this past sat. Amazon also had it 10% off this morning then it went back to $649. For $35 more heck yeah get the R617. Wait and see if they get discounted on Prime Day. I just got mine in last night. I do see some DSE but wow Far Cry 5 HDR Xbox One X looks great. now it is a matter if i can tolerate the DSE or send it back to walmart for another one.
So it's kinda hit or miss on whether you get the DSE on that line?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Have been playing GoW on the C8 for a some hours now and I feel like it's a very bright game (in game mode, of course) and I haven't noticed ABL kicking in at all, not even once. There also seems to be just very, very little above black banding on my panel, like 1 or 2 very thin lines close to the right edge. Barely noticable. The game looks gorgeous on it.

I must say I'm very impressed. The only bigger issue I have is motion handling. GoW has motion blur set to 10/10 in the ingame options by default. Moving the camera that way makes the background very unclear and hard to follow, not nice too look at. When I turn motion blur off though, it gets worse. Moving the camera now looks like the TV stutters. Sadly, all the TrueMotion options are not available in game mode except for BFI, which is useless. I'd definitely turn on dejudder to about 3/10 if I could. It helped for panning shots in TV shows.

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you have a history of extreme input lag sensitivity or are a semi pro fighting game player or love to play max speed Beatmania, look elsewhere. But for the games I've tried so far it's great? It's the loss of a frame @ 60 so for most players I think it's not even noticeable. My SNES Classic and Switch run fine. I'm possibly on the less sensitive side of the problem though.

Humblebrag: Me and my brother have the WR in co-op split screen in Super Stardust Ultra and my current TV (Sony X900C) has about 35ms of input lag and I swear sometimes those bombs or boosts don't work even though I've pressed the button :D Would be interesting to see if we could improve with lower input lag, that's why I'm considering a Samsung, also for playing the SNES/NES mini and those sometimes pixel-perfect jump/shots required in the classic games.

But then again, I'm using the TV for football (= soccer) and Netflix as well, so the 900F seems like a good choice.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Been over a week since I got my Sony 900f and I have to say I love this TV.

Would love it if there's owners of this TV (or the 900e/930e) in this thread that would share their settings preferences for: regular cable tv (1080i content), settings for HDR movies, and settings for HDR games

I've mostly been using the default settings on standard mode for movies, and game mode for games because everything looks so good right out of the box.

There's a ton of options and its a bit intimidating hah.

For HDR gaming and movies, I'm used this https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings
like other posters mentioned, I haven't found any basic TV calibration settings yet though. Have you found anything that seems to stand out?

I'm pretty happy with the results. I've also only had the set for less than a week but I'm glad I went with this model. I'll probably refine the settings a bit more to suit my space/lighting conditions, but the link above gives a good base to work with.

Also, Dolby Vision on this set is nice. Not a fan of using the built in Netflix app for now, but seems like it's coming to the One X soon.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
49" is not so niche in the UK. We have much smaller homes than in the US. In my study I have a 49" 4K LG LCD, I don't want a bigger TV in there, it's too small a room. But just because we don't have the space, doesn't mean we don't want the quality.

I'd very keen on a 49" OLED. I know there are issues getting the pixels density high enough to make smaller TV's but I'd certainly welcome one.

I have a 43" 4K for my room so I know the struggles of small space. I could have gotten a 49" but it would have been tough to fit. What I meant was it is a niche globally. Even if you have a small space, vastly more people would probably buy a 55" than a 49" or even now 43". I am keen on smaller sizes as well, but every year I am seeing sizes increasing and televisions in smaller sizes increasingly left out or purely budget oriented.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I have one of those as well. It is a great receiver. What kind of speaker set up will be running?

Oh sweet! I'll probably be asking you and Gear some questions.

Basement won't be finished for a while (aiming to have it completed by November) so I'm not in a rush but I'm going with a 5.1.2 setup:

ELAC Debut F6.2 towers and C6.2 for fronts, plus B6.2s for surrounds (I bought the B6.2s already so I could learn the AVR more while I wait for the basement).

I bought RSL C34E in celling speakers for the Atmos heights and as far as the sub goes, I'm leaning between the SVS PB-2000 or Monolith 12" THX (basically whichever goes on sale first since most reviews have them pretty even).

Also leaning towards a 65" C8 which will also be my first 4K set

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I seem to be having a lot of trouble with the WebOS Netflix app tonight on my C8. It is constantly stopping while I'm watching and give me the error We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title (tvq-pm-100) (5.2.5)

I can then restart playback but it will happen again after it has been playing a bit. Anyone else ever experience this?

Searching that error online takes me to the Netflix website that says "It typically points to information stored on your device that needs to be refreshed. Follow the troubleshooting steps for your device below to resolve the issue." There isn't a specific step for LG OLED TVs on WebOS. For smart TVs it just says to restart the TV. I couldn't find a way to completely turn of and restart the C8 from the menu. I can only get it to go into standby mode. I finally unplugged it from the wall, waited a bit and plugged it in again. Is there any way to force a restart without unplugging the TV?

Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm looking into getting a new monitor, but since I was likely gonna get multiple monitors anyway I was thinking about maybe just getting a 43 inch TV and making virtual monitors to like, only use part of it as an actual screen for dual monitors and ignore the top half.

Reason for that being that the monitor would also serve as a TV for when playing games on my couch(my office setup is weird but it works really nicely for that. Got a couch pressed against the wall opposing the computer desk) or watching a movie. So I figure this would be a good solution to getting a "multi monitor" style setup at a decent price plus 4K for movies/games.

As I understand it though, TVs as monitors can be pretty bad in regards to reading text since they need chroma 4:4:4 to actually be like, readable, plus there's issues with input lag sometimes. I don't play competitive games so normal input lag isn't a huge issue for me, but I do work with my PC so the text thing WOULD be an issue...is there a way to check if a TV would be good to use as a monitor? I can't seem to find any chroma info on TV models anywhere online.

So yeah, any way of knowing what TVs would be good to use as monitors aside from buying one, testing for chroma with a sample image or something and returning if it doesn't run it well?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to be having a lot of trouble with the WebOS Netflix app tonight on my C8. It is constantly stopping while I'm watching and give me the error We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title (tvq-pm-100) (5.2.5)

I can then restart playback but it will happen again after it has been playing a bit. Anyone else ever experience this?

Searching that error online takes me to the Netflix website that says "It typically points to information stored on your device that needs to be refreshed. Follow the troubleshooting steps for your device below to resolve the issue." There isn't a specific step for LG OLED TVs on WebOS. For smart TVs it just says to restart the TV. I couldn't find a way to completely turn of and restart the C8 from the menu. I can only get it to go into standby mode. I finally unplugged it from the wall, waited a bit and plugged it in again. Is there any way to force a restart without unplugging the TV?

Hopefully that will resolve the problem.
When I have issues with Netflix on my C7 which is quite rare, I just fully exit the app from the options menu in the Netflix app. I think it's found under the Help section. This is also where you can check your network connection etc.

Pazusama

Jun 2, 2018
Liverpool
Hello there, I finally bought a C7 55' and I can't be more happy.
Looking online I found different picture settings, but I'd like to know what are the recommended ones from this community.
I use the TV mainly for netflix and amazon video contents and gaming on ps4 pro, switch and xbox one x. HDR in game mode is a big letdown isn't it? I'm trying to find a good compromise but it seems things settings must be changed for each game I play...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hello there, I finally bought a C7 55' and I can't be more happy.
Looking online I found different picture settings, but I'd like to know what are the recommended ones from this community.
I use the TV mainly for netflix and amazon video contents and gaming on ps4 pro, switch and xbox one x. HDR in game mode is a big letdown isn't it? I'm trying to find a good compromise but it seems things settings must be changed for each game I play...

Thanks in advance for your help!
To start, just use the ones in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/736o62/lg_oled_c7b7_2017_calibrated_settings_for_xbox/

Then make small adjustments based on your preference.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
|OT2| is ready to go up! I'll be out for a bit today but should be back before or around when we hit 20,000 unless something MAJOR happens (e.g. Sony 100" mLED 8K for below $1000 launching today)

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everybody. In the market for a new TV, haven't bought one in like 6+ years so idk what I'm looking at when I'm shopping around. Here's my deets:

Budget: $1,500
Size: 55-60in
Use case: Movies & TV mainly, also gaming (PS4 & PC)

Right now I'm looking at the LG OLED55B7P (Refurb to save a couple hundred). I don't need the smart/web TV, as I'll usually have my VR PC attached. Picture quality and longevity are my two biggest concerns. Also want good blacks, I hate the washed out blacks on my old plasma TV.
Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, ERA!

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everybody. In the market for a new TV, haven't bought one in like 6+ years so idk what I'm looking at when I'm shopping around. Here's my deets:

Budget: $1,500
Size: 55-60in
Use case: Movies & TV mainly, also gaming (PS4 & PC)

Right now I'm looking at the LG OLED55B7P (Refurb to save a couple hundred). I don't need the smart/web TV, as I'll usually have my VR PC attached. Picture quality and longevity are my two biggest concerns. Also want good blacks, I hate the washed out blacks on my old plasma TV.
Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, ERA!
Looks like you found the perfect TV already for your price range, especially if you want deep blacks. If even your old Plasma didn't satisfy your needs in that area, there is no way a LED will be good enough.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Hey guys, so i recently brought my parents old sound system and i have no clue how to make it sound good. I have oled 65b7 and i connected the system through rca jack adapter. It shows up as headphones on tv audio menu and i feel like the tv internal speakers sound better in games.
Might the adapter be the cause why it sounds bad? Should i buy rca optical adapter? I think i should be way more impressed considering how big the system is. It sounds kinda muffled or like some sounds are missing and voices in game sound weird and quiet. I add a photo of the system cause honestly i cant find what model it is.
Photos; https://imgur.com/a/0LvT3mb
http://imgur.com/DPGroDW

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, so i recently brought my parents old sound system and i have no clue how to make it sound good. I have oled 65b7 and i connected the system through rca jack adapter. It shows up as headphones on tv audio menu and i feel like the tv internal speakers sound better in games.
Might the adapter be the cause why it sounds bad? Should i buy rca optical adapter? I think i should be way more impressed considering how big the system is. It sounds kinda muffled or like some sounds are missing and voices in game sound weird and quiet. I add a photo of the system cause honestly i cant find what model it is.
YqLmh8a

Picture not working for me. Was it something your parents had connected to a receiver? If so, you would need to do the same.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Picture not working for me. Was it something your parents had connected to a receiver? If so, you would need to do the same.
I edited the post, photos are in the links. I dont think they had anything more than in the photos, it wasnt used for years and when it was connected it only served as a radio. Sorry but im completely green in that field.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Woooooooooooo doggy, that's some old school gear.

*rolls up sleeves*

Gonna need a model number on that AVR (the top piece of the stack) and a picture of the back (that's hopefully much more clear). Gotta be able to see what kinda jacks we're working with (or I can look it up with the model number)

E:

L
M
F
A
O

"Super Woofer built In"

God I wish my system had a SUPER WOOFER. Idk what that even is but it sounds awesome.

E2:

Okay i zoomed in a bit and can see it's pro logic. So it's not a true "surround sound" system, because it won't support dolby digital, but we can still use it to the best of its ability.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Woooooooooooo doggy, that's some old school gear.

*rolls up sleeves*

Gonna need a model number on that AVR (the top piece of the stack) and a picture of the back (that's hopefully much more clear). Gotta be able to see what kinda jacks we're working with (or I can look it up with the model number)

E:

L
M
F
A
O

"Super Woofer built In"

God I wish my system had a SUPER WOOFER. Idk what that even is but it sounds awesome.

E2:

Okay i zoomed in a bit and can see it's pro logic. So it's not a true "surround sound" system, because it won't support dolby digital, but we can still use it to the best of its ability.
https://imgur.com/a/jINr6cu
https://imgur.com/a/dQWhA2G
here are some better photos, the model is TA-AV581
Bass actually sounds kinda nice when SUPER WOOFER is active :D

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Hey MuckyBarnes FYI i tweeted at rtings about the 1440p thing and they made a good point about checking if I'm scaling on display or GPU, because if scaling on GPU, you're essentially using the GPU to scale the 1440p signal up to 2160p before sending to the TV. Will screw around with that tonight and see what i find out. (but to be clear, that still lets you do 1440p, you're just scaling on GPU before sending to the TV, instead of the TV natively accepting 1440p and scaling itself; we could prolly argue all day about the merits of the two approaches but it's likely materially the same.)

cc MazeHaze

Status
Not open for further replies.