• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
At least they are actual separates. In the first pic I thought it was one of those faux separates things where the "cabinet" was actually the unit and all the components were rolled into one.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
https://imgur.com/a/jINr6cu
https://imgur.com/a/dQWhA2G
here are some better photos, the model is TA-AV581
Bass actually sounds kinda nice when SUPER WOOFER is active :D

Okay, so this gets a bit tricky...

Your TV only has a digital optical out, no analog. And your AVR takes only analog (dolby digital was not a thing yet then). So we either need to go through the TV and convert digital optical to analog (painful) or we just connect the source devices directly to the AVR.

So what are you all hooking up that you want sound from?

At least they are actual separates. In the first pic I thought it was one of those faux separates things where the "cabinet" was actually the unit and all the components were rolled into one.

Nah, it's not separates.

The other three are source devices.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's not separates.

I didn't mean separates in the amp sense, just separate components. They used to make stereo units like that where the tape deck, CD player, receiver, etc werre all fused into one piece but they were designed to look like they were separate components.

Poor wording on my part.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Okay, so this gets a bit tricky...

Your TV only has a digital optical out, no analog. And your AVR takes only analog (dolby digital was not a thing yet then). So we either need to go through the TV and convert digital optical to analog (painful) or we just connect the source devices directly to the AVR.

So what are you all hooking up that you want sound from?

Nah, it's not separates.

Im not sure if i understand correctly (english is not my native language) the three devices are connected to the avr, but i probably wont ever use them, i have only ps4 and pc connected to tv and i also use build in apps like yt and netflix, i would like to sound go throught tv to the speakers. It is connected to the tv with a 3.5mm jack. Should i maybe try to sell these and buy a cheap sound bar?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Man, finally got my copy of the Ghost Protocol 4K blu-ray and it looked amazing on my set.

Still love this movie so much too.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Looks like you found the perfect TV already for your price range, especially if you want deep blacks. If even your old Plasma didn't satisfy your needs in that area, there is no way a LED will be good enough.
Don't go near a Q8 if you like deep blacks! It's more grey. I have the unfortunate experience of owning 2 LG C8s and 1 Q8FN QLED all in the past month, I'm BACK with a LG C8 and couldn't be happier.

First let me state, I have no sides in this battle and I'm NOT trying to troll anybody. I am 36 years old, been playing video games since I was 4 years old (Atari 2600,) and I've never stopped. I've played (and own,) every system that has come out since then. I have my eyeballs and a direct comparison having used an OLED and a QLED within a day of each other, with the same exact games, loaded from the exact same save games. I'm only taking about Video Games on these TVs, have NO idea how movie/TV performance is between the 2 sets.

Anything good that the Samsung QLED does seems to vanish in game mode, where as the OLED still shines. There are details on the textures in games that don't even SHOW up on the Q8, but yet on the C8 OLED are clear as day and VERY noticeable IF you had an opportunity to see them both. The infinite contrast and inky blacks make the color pop so much more then it did on QLED. Even with higher peak nit brightness on QLED, it's diminished because of the lackluster black levels. It can't create enough of a contrast compared to the OLED.

My 10yo daughter who couldn't care less about different brands or technology IMMEDIATELY noticed the details, crispness and contrast differences between the 2 sets. She asked me how a TV that costs $2k (Q8,) looks so terrible compared to a TV that's only $200 more ;0. ONCE again before people get mad, NO hyperbole here. Honest, unbiased opinions of my experience.

I understand that everyone isn't going to spend $2k plus dollars on a TV, but quite a few people are so I just wanted to share the experiences I had. TBH I'm actually not the excited about even the possibility of burn in/image retention on OLED. But because the Geek Squad warrenty COVERS burn in so I don't have to drive myself crazy over that aspect.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to test out Sony X900E and im quite happy even though it's quite evident that it's really worse than my B6. What surprised me is that the UI is actually quite good compared to web os 3.5 and seems easier/faster to set up as a pc monitor. I suppose it will serve it's purpose for two years as a "budget" tv/monitor.

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
Oh sweet! I'll probably be asking you and Gear some questions.

Basement won't be finished for a while (aiming to have it completed by November) so I'm not in a rush but I'm going with a 5.1.2 setup:

ELAC Debut F6.2 towers and C6.2 for fronts, plus B6.2s for surrounds (I bought the B6.2s already so I could learn the AVR more while I wait for the basement).

I bought RSL C34E in celling speakers for the Atmos heights and as far as the sub goes, I'm leaning between the SVS PB-2000 or Monolith 12" THX (basically whichever goes on sale first since most reviews have them pretty even).

Also leaning towards a 65" C8 which will also be my first 4K set

Since you are completing your basement you might want to wire for another set of atmos ceiling speakers as 5.1.4 is probably the recommended setup.

I finished my basement 4 years ago and for some reason didn't wire any ceiling speakers and I wish I had. I do need to get new carpeting on my top floor so I may try and wire then.

I have 2 of the SVS PC-12 Plus and they are awesome.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't go near a Q8 if you like deep blacks! It's more grey. I have the unfortunate experience of owning 2 LG C8s and 1 Q8FN QLED all in the past month, I'm BACK with a LG C8 and couldn't be happier.

First let me state, I have no sides in this battle and I'm NOT trying to troll anybody. I am 36 years old, been playing video games since I was 4 years old (Atari 2600,) and I've never stopped. I've played (and own,) every system that has come out since then. I have my eyeballs and a direct comparison having used an OLED and a QLED within a day of each other, with the same exact games, loaded from the exact same save games. I'm only taking about Video Games on these TVs, have NO idea how movie/TV performance is between the 2 sets.

Anything good that the Samsung QLED does seems to vanish in game mode, where as the OLED still shines. There are details on the textures in games that don't even SHOW up on the Q8, but yet on the C8 OLED are clear as day and VERY noticeable IF you had an opportunity to see them both. The infinite contrast and inky blacks make the color pop so much more then it did on QLED. Even with higher peak nit brightness on QLED, it's diminished because of the lackluster black levels. It can't create enough of a contrast compared to the OLED.

My 10yo daughter who couldn't care less about different brands or technology IMMEDIATELY noticed the details, crispness and contrast differences between the 2 sets. She asked me how a TV that costs $2k (Q8,) looks so terrible compared to a TV that's only $200 more ;0. ONCE again before people get mad, NO hyperbole here. Honest, unbiased opinions of my experience.

I understand that everyone isn't going to spend $2k plus dollars on a TV, but quite a few people are so I just wanted to share the experiences I had. TBH I'm actually not the excited about even the possibility of burn in/image retention on OLED. But because the Geek Squad warrenty COVERS burn in so I don't have to drive myself crazy over that aspect.

Couldn't agree more. We just bought a house so I took my wife into Best buy to look at some 4ktvs. She was immediately drawn to the c8 oled. She usually can't tell the difference between televisions as I upgrade every few years, but this time it was different lol. We went back in forth between the C8 and Sonys new oled (A8F i believe), ultimately going with the 65in C8 because of the snappier interface. I've never been so impressed with an upgrade in visual fidelity. It really is one of those things you have to see in your own house, on your own couch, playing your own games and watching your own movies. Forget all those demos in-store.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Im not sure if i understand correctly (english is not my native language) the three devices are connected to the avr, but i probably wont ever use them, i have only ps4 and pc connected to tv and i also use build in apps like yt and netflix, i would like to sound go throught tv to the speakers. It is connected to the tv with a 3.5mm jack. Should i maybe try to sell these and buy a cheap sound bar?
You have a couple options.... So, where all those red and white cables are plugged in the back, you can unplug all of those, and you'd need red and white cables out of your PC and PS4 to connect to the back of the AVR part on top. The PC may need a 3.5mm to red and whites if it doesn't have red and white outputs. I'm not even sure if there's a standard AV adapter for red and whites for the PS4, maybe someone else can comment.

That still won't solve getting audio out of the TV for netflix and YT. You'd have to get something to convert optical to analog red and whites, which would be a pain.

yes it would be easier to get a soundbar, but you're likely not going to get much for that set of gear.

Honestly, it all wires with standard speaker wires. You could totally just buy a new, up to date AVR and use all those same speakers and just ditch that four stack of components. That's probably your best sound quality option... But a soundbar would obviously be easier. Pretty much plug in two cables and go.

E: Could replace it with something like this..

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs530bt

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Oh sweet! I'll probably be asking you and Gear some questions.

Basement won't be finished for a while (aiming to have it completed by November) so I'm not in a rush but I'm going with a 5.1.2 setup:

ELAC Debut F6.2 towers and C6.2 for fronts, plus B6.2s for surrounds (I bought the B6.2s already so I could learn the AVR more while I wait for the basement).

I bought RSL C34E in celling speakers for the Atmos heights and as far as the sub goes, I'm leaning between the SVS PB-2000 or Monolith 12" THX (basically whichever goes on sale first since most reviews have them pretty even).

Also leaning towards a 65" C8 which will also be my first 4K set

I upgraded to a Denon x6400h earlier in the year since I wanted to go with a 7.2.2 set up and not have to buy a separate Amplifier to run the additional speakers. I moved the 3400h to our living room and am running a 5.1 for now. For my Atmos I went with up firing speakers that sit on top of my left/right front towers. I went all Kilpsh for my speakers and they sound great. We moved into a new built home in September and it had a upstairs bonus room that I had them add in a full bath and a wet bar. I am still working on it as far as set up. All my audio is 100% where I want, I just also have vintage gaming systems I have set up on the back half of the room and still messing with that set up. But you will love your audio. A lot of people skimp in the audio department and splurge on the video side of things. Nothing compares to a real surround sound set up. I always suggest to people, if they have the means to balance out a good screen with good audio. Too many people rely on sound bars which can be very good, but the full sound of a 5.1 set up or better is just immersive when you tie in a good display. With you getting a 65" C8 plus your new receiver and speaker set up, you will be in video/audio heaven! lol

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Well, the great news here is that you found a display you are happy with. Reading the official forums at AVS Forums for the Q8, I am not reading the disparity in blacks that you are reporting, but I am not sure if you made any adjustments. One thing I have learned with my 75" Q9FN is that out of the box settings are not ideal for gaming and you have to make adjustments, but I do this with every set I have owned and had to do the same with my LG E7 65" and Sony Z9D.

Right now, for gaming I prefer my Q9 over my LG and Z9D. Blacks are great, input lag is the lowest you can get, PC gaming at 1440p/120fps is amaze balls. Really been enjoying the set and my uniformity is excellent on my set versus the train wreck I experienced with the 65" version of the Q9FN. I still make adjustments here and there, but overall pretty satisfied with it and the 10" extra real estate over my previous 65" sets is pretty huge.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
You have a couple options.... So, where all those red and white cables are plugged in the back, you can unplug all of those, and you'd need red and white cables out of your PC and PS4 to connect to the back of the AVR part on top. The PC may need a 3.5mm to red and whites if it doesn't have red and white outputs. I'm not even sure if there's a standard AV adapter for red and whites for the PS4, maybe someone else can comment.

That still won't solve getting audio out of the TV for netflix and YT. You'd have to get something to convert optical to analog red and whites, which would be a pain.

yes it would be easier to get a soundbar, but you're likely not going to get much for that set of gear.

Honestly, it all wires with standard speaker wires. You could totally just buy a new, up to date AVR and use all those same speakers and just ditch that four stack of components. That's probably your best sound quality option... But a soundbar would obviously be easier. Pretty much plug in two cables and go.

So do you think the sound quality would be good with this receiver? How would it compare to lets say 300-400 soundbar?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

But isn't the mystery the fact that he's using the 3.5mm output of the TV into his setup and it's sounding muffled?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
So do you think the sound quality would be good with this receiver? How would it compare to lets say 300-400 soundbar?

It will likely sound a lot better than the soundbar based on the simple fact that the speakers are a lot bigger and will make a more full sound than a soundbar would. You may need to mess around with the subwoofer a little bit since it runs off of speaker wire (a picture of the back of the "super woofer" would help)

But isn't the mystery the fact that he's using the 3.5mm output of the TV into his setup and it's sounding muffled?

It's a big mystery, esp considering that rtings says that tv has no analog audio outputs (and neither does my C7)

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, the great news here is that you found a display you are happy with. Reading the official forums at AVS Forums for the Q8, I am not reading the disparity in blacks that you are reporting, but I am not sure if you made any adjustments. One thing I have learned with my 75" Q9FN is that out of the box settings are not ideal for gaming and you have to make adjustments, but I do this with every set I have owned and had to do the same with my LG E7 65" and Sony Z9D.

Right Wnow, for gaming I prefer my Q9 over my LG and Z9D. Blacks are great, input lag is the lowest you can get, PC gaming at 1440p/120fps is amaze balls. Really been enjoying the set and my uniformity is excellent on my set versus the train wreck I experienced with the 65" version of the Q9FN. I still make adjustments here and there, but overall pretty satisfied with it and the 10" extra real estate over my previous 65" sets is pretty huge.
I think the Q9 is a entirely different beast then the Q8. I wish they made a 55" Q9 in the USA so I could of tried it out. The dimming zones alone are crazy. My 55" Q8 had a whopping 40 dimming zones compared to the 240/480! on Q9 and larger Q8.

The blooming was pretty terrible also on my Q8. Almost any scene that was dark and had a bright spot would halo like crazy as those whopping 40 zones were trying to dim and lighten the picture. Honestly the 2013 Sony Edge Lit LED LCD TV had better black levels then I got on the Q8.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It will likely sound a lot better than the soundbar based on the simple fact that the speakers are a lot bigger and will make a more full sound than a soundbar would. You may need to mess around with the subwoofer a little bit since it runs off of speaker wire (a picture of the back of the "super woofer" would help)

It's a big mystery, esp considering that rtings says that tv has no analog audio outputs (and neither does my C7)
He's not in US, so his model does have line out: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED65B7V

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
He's not in US, so his model does have line out: https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED65B7V
Oh wow, okay. That changes things. I had no idea that was a difference between the country variants.

Well then he probably just needs to screw around with some of the sound modes. And also, probably needs to make sure all the source devices are set to output 2 channel stereo and not surround sound.

Really good heads up on that one.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh wow, okay. That changes things. I had no idea that was a difference between the country variants.

Well then he probably just needs to screw around with some of the sound modes. And also, probably needs to make sure all the source devices are set to output 2 channel stereo and not surround sound.

Really good heads up on that one.
Yup, they got to keep component input too on 2017+ models. :(

That's my guess too PlayerOne
Check your sound modes, make sure everything is straight stereo, including your PS4, etc.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Q9 is a entirely different beast then the Q8. I wish they made a 55" Q9 in the USA so I could of tried it out. The dimming zones alone are crazy. My 55" Q8 had a whopping 40 dimming zones compared to the 240/480! on Q9 and larger Q8.

The blooming was pretty terrible also on my Q8. Almost any scene that was dark and had a bright spot would halo like crazy as those whopping 40 zones were trying to dim and lighten the picture. Honestly the 2013 Sony Edge Lit LED LCD TV had better black levels then I got on the Q8.

Definitely the Q9FN is a different beast and I was not implying that the Q8 was in the same ball park. I just know from reading the Q8 forums and some people I know that own a Q8 that love the set and have not expressed such a disparity in black level like you experienced, but as I mentioned, these new Samsungs definitely needs some adjustments out of the box, especially in game mode.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

Check your sound modes, make sure everything is straight stereo, including your PS4, etc.
Right.

I'm not an LG engineer, so I might be a bit over my skis, but I'd guess a surround signal is going to the TV now, and only Left and Right channels are coming back out of that AV jack. So you'd hear dialog reverberations in the LR channel but the entire dialog/center channel information isn't making its way to the AVR

E:Also, lesson learned. The variants by country don't have different model numbers (even if it's just one letter) for no reason at all apparently

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded to a Denon x6400h earlier in the year since I wanted to go with a 7.2.2 set up and not have to buy a separate Amplifier to run the additional speakers. I moved the 3400h to our living room and am running a 5.1 for now. For my Atmos I went with up firing speakers that sit on top of my left/right front towers. I went all Kilpsh for my speakers and they sound great. We moved into a new built home in September and it had a upstairs bonus room that I had them add in a full bath and a wet bar. I am still working on it as far as set up. All my audio is 100% where I want, I just also have vintage gaming systems I have set up on the back half of the room and still messing with that set up. But you will love your audio. A lot of people skimp in the audio department and splurge on the video side of things. Nothing compares to a real surround sound set up. I always suggest to people, if they have the means to balance out a good screen with good audio. Too many people rely on sound bars which can be very good, but the full sound of a 5.1 set up or better is just immersive when you tie in a good display. With you getting a 65" C8 plus your new receiver and speaker set up, you will be in video/audio heaven! lol

I'm expecting it to be overload lol

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Right.

I'm not an LG engineer, so I might be a bit over my skis, but I'd guess a surround signal is going to the TV now, and only Left and Right channels are coming back out of that AV jack. So you'd hear dialog reverberations in the LR channel but the entire dialog/center channel information isn't making its way to the AVR

Ok guys will try to play with it a bit more, Thanks for your help!

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So couple weeks ago I got this soundbar https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L1ZR7EK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and I am really happy with sound quality compared to tv speakers, the soundstage and bass is pretty darn good. My question is should I plug the optical cable directly to PS4 pro every time I am playing games or just plugging soundbar to TV that is connected to console via HDMI is good enough? Is there any actual difference?

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the Q9FN is a different beast and I was not implying that the Q8 was in the same ball park. I just know from reading the Q8 forums and some people I know that own a Q8 that love the set and have not expressed such a disparity in black level like you experienced, but as I mentioned, these new Samsungs definitely needs some adjustments out of the box, especially in game mode.

People playing in a well lit room aren't going to notice a problem. Neither are people who've never actually used an OLED.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to finally replace my ancient 1080p LCD with a cheap 4K display tonight. Technology has changed naturally and my AVR is out of date now but I can't replace it for a while so I intend to plug my devices (Apple TV, PS4, cable box) into the TV and then just use the optical audio out from the TV to feed my receiver so it will now do the audio only. Funny how like 5 years ago that would be absurd - lossless audio was a huge benefit and a big reason I loved blurays - but now bitstreamed Dolby is good enough lol. Also my new TV will have more HDMI inputs than my quite old AVR so that's certainly a change from how things used to be in home theater gear from 2010. ;)

Has anyone done this? It seems like it should work but if i'm using the volume controls on the TV remote it will adjust the volume that gets sent to the receiver, right? Seems so obvious and yet I can't be 100% sure heh.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to finally replace my ancient 1080p LCD with a cheap 4K display tonight. Technology has changed naturally and my AVR is out of date now but I can't replace it for a while so I intend to plug my devices (Apple TV, PS4, cable box) into the TV and then just use the optical audio out from the TV to feed my receiver so it will now do the audio only. Funny how like 5 years ago that would be absurd - lossless audio was a huge benefit and a big reason I loved blurays - but now bitstreamed Dolby is good enough lol. Also my new TV will have more HDMI inputs than my quite old AVR so that's certainly a change from how things used to be in home theater gear from 2010. ;)

Has anyone done this? It seems like it should work but if i'm using the volume controls on the TV remote it will adjust the volume that gets sent to the receiver, right? Seems so obvious and yet I can't be 100% sure heh.
No it won't work with optical. Your receiver should accept HDMI for audio through arc though.

Edit: By work I mean change volume.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

If your AVR is ancient as well it probably won't support ARC, in which case you'd likely need something like a magic remote.

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey MuckyBarnes FYI i tweeted at rtings about the 1440p thing and they made a good point about checking if I'm scaling on display or GPU, because if scaling on GPU, you're essentially using the GPU to scale the 1440p signal up to 2160p before sending to the TV. Will screw around with that tonight and see what i find out. (but to be clear, that still lets you do 1440p, you're just scaling on GPU before sending to the TV, instead of the TV natively accepting 1440p and scaling itself; we could prolly argue all day about the merits of the two approaches but it's likely materially the same.)

cc MazeHaze
Oh awesome, thanks for digging into it.

I'm definitely not one to argue the approaches, I'm just fairly new to this and trying to seek understanding.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to watch all the MI movies in order or are they self contained stories?
They follow after each other but for the most part you can really watch and enjoy any of them on their own, the main stories are self-contained. They just won't re-introduce returning team members though you'll pick up on what any returning main team members are like pretty quickly.

I'd say the first movie and Ghost Protocol are the two easiest jumping in points.

Ghost Protocol kind of refreshed everything with a mostly new team getting introduced to join Cruise's Ethan Hunt, and it's a damn lot of fun, so I think it's a fine starting point if you want to just watch the recent ones first if you have limited time or want to watch quickly so that you can see the new one soon. Rogue Nation continues with most of that group (all but one came back), plus Luther who was a team member from the older ones. As such, watching those two should get you familiar with most of the current characters if you also want to see Fallout.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like you found the perfect TV already for your price range, especially if you want deep blacks. If even your old Plasma didn't satisfy your needs in that area, there is no way a LED will be good enough.
Stopped by Microcenter at lunch to see it in person. Looks beautiful, pulled the trigger :)

Thanks for the rec.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Is anyone using an external streamer like Apple TV as opposed to the built in apps on LG OLEDS? If so, why? Notice any difference in quality?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People playing in a well lit room aren't going to notice a problem. Neither are people who've never actually used an OLED.
You're 100% correct on that! But once you do see it it's impossible to ignore! I mostly game at night/evening......and I live in Oregon. Which means 6 months of rainy, crappy, grey weather and darkness at 4:30pm in the winter time lol.

I honestly DON'T understand why 4K on the OLED looks higher RES then 4K did on the Q8??? All settings were equal between TVs as far as sharpness, motion handling and any extra picture processing options. I am a HUGE tech/gaming fan and love the nuts and bolts of how everything works and operates and it's mind boggling to me.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using an external streamer like Apple TV as opposed to the built in apps on LG OLEDS? If so, why? Notice any difference in quality?
I noticed the apps very rarely get updated, so if Netflix gets a new useful feature it could take a while until it becomes available on WebOS. If that happens, it would be useful to have an alternative, but it's not something i've had an issue with yet.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
You're 100% correct on that! But once you do see it it's impossible to ignore! I mostly game at night/evening......and I live in Oregon. Which means 6 months of rainy, crappy, grey weather and darkness at 4:30pm in the winter time lol.

I honestly DON'T understand why 4K on the OLED looks higher RES then 4K did on the Q8??? All settings were equal between TVs as far as sharpness, motion handling and any extra picture processing options. I am a HUGE tech/gaming fan and love the nuts and bolts of how everything works and operates and it's mind boggling to me.

It'll be partly down to the OLED having no backlight washing the colours out, so colours will look purer, and blacks will give that 3D pop, which you won't get on a Q8.
I have an ATV4K and don't use it over the internal C7 app. I think the C7 app looks fantastic, not sure how it could look much better tbh.

Netflix looks nice on ATV at 4K.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Last edited:

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
v0DbX4B.jpg

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

If you had settings equal between a LG OLED and a Samsung that is an issue already. Settings for different TV's behave differently for each setting. For example, on a Sony sharpness is totally different than sharpness on the Samsung. Having them equal and then testing like a side by side would result is bad results. You can't put settings at the same across different brands of TV's and expect an apples to apples comparison. That is why you NEVER see professional review sites use the same settings across different TV's because each brand and even model numbers from a same manufacturer can vary. BTW...what did you have Sharpness on the Samsung?

I live in Idaho and yeah, right now it does not get dark until about 10:30pm or so but in the Winter it is completely opposite. Moved here from Central/Coastal California about 1 1/2 years ago and that has been the biggest adjustment for me.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So basically rtings is saying that the B8 is identical to the C8 and the new A9 processor is doing nothing. Doesn't seem right. I think their test bench just doesn't highlight the improvements.

Their test doesn't account for upscaling of sub4K content which annoys me because many people still watch tons of sub4K content...

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, OT2 is up and the mods will close this one and point to the new one. Sorry for being a bit premature...it was either now or Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.