• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am sick to death of glasses and contacts, but I am also scared to death of getting any kind of laser eye surgery to improve vision. I'm hoping reading your experiences will give me some perspective and courage to get it done. But please, be brutally honest. Any good or bad experiences, please. Any side effects or any good effects you didn't even think about when you got the surgery?

Please tell me about your laser eye surgery!

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Had Lasek done over a month ago. First 2 days were painful (because I forgot to take the numbing drops:), but now I'm all good. My left eye vision is on par with before when wearing lenses. My right eye is about 90% there. It's should get to 100 but due to astigmatism it's healing a bit slower. By 3 months the vision should be final and can be corrected again if needed after another 3 months.

Was worried about vision at night but got no haze or halos etc. Got no dry eyes either. Lasik is known to cause dry eyes where Lasek seems to avoid it mostly

The procedure is painless and short. Just be prepared to have pain after (level varies from person to person) and extreme light sensitivity. 2-3 days after it's all good and it's a matter of waiting for your vision to settle in within 3-6 months (during which it get better/ worse/ better and so on).

Lasik has same results with faster recovery but you will be advised what is best. If you do contact sports or work in an environment where you can get smacked in the face, you will get Lasek because the is no flap that can dislodge and move like after lasik.

So far I can fully recommend it!

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mcUOQzA.png

There is a third technique beside PRK and LASIK called Relex SMILE. It's even less aggressive than LASIK. Relex SMILE is almost the normal procedure nowadays in Europe while North America is still doing mostly the older procedures.

I did it years ago in France. It was completely painless and I fully recovered in like three days, although you do have to use eye drops for a few months as with the other techniques.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did LASIK about 17 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made. My eyes aren't as good as they were a decade ago but they are so much better and it is so great to not have blurry vision waking up.

Hardest part was wearing glasses for a month beforehand as my glasses were about five years old lol.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had Lasik surgery in February. The operation itself is very painless but incredibly terrifying.

Obviously you cannot blink or control where you look. The doctor uses something like a brush to turn your eye and you see the instrument. Your vision tilts without your control which causes something like a moniton sickness from VR but just for a moment. Also you smell burning from the laser.
The next day is even worse. The nurses warned me and my family that I would be incredibly angry after the procedure and the best thing is lying down in a dark room alone so that you don't hurt other people. The first 10 mins after surgery is incredible, you can see clearly and walk without assistance right away. Then your eyeballs start burning. I have never been tortured but I would guess blinding someone with hot pokers would feel like this. You have this unending incredible pain in the back of your head and nothing helps. I was pulling my hair, punching my legs and biting my arm to at the very least distribute the pain. You have to put some eyedrops but any kind of light hurts even worse so whoever is helping you has to drop them in darkness. And if they miss you have to keep your eyes open even longer which means even more pain.

However, it all goes away in 2 days. Your vision starts to get better. You still cannot use computer screens, read books etc. for some time but at least you start to function. The light still hurts but less every day. For weeks your hand goes to your face to adjust your non-existing glasses. I had an unusual problem with grocery shopping for a month or so. Trying to focus on something (like labels or prices) while walking (and under bright store lights) caused lightheadedness. It is all better now but it did bother me a bit.

It all sounds terrible but I am glad that I had it. It is really nice to not worry about glasses scratching and lens solutions etc. VR is much more enjoyable; swimming, even more so. Headphones are way more comfortable to use. Reading or watching something at an awkward angle is not a problem any more.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
mcUOQzA.png

There is a third technique beside PRK and LASIK called Relex SMILE. It's even less aggressive than LASIK. Relex SMILE is almost the normal procedure nowadays in Europe while North America is still doing mostly the older procedures.

I did it years ago in France. It was completely painless and I fully recovered in like three days, although you do have to use eye drops for a few months as with the other techniques.
Yeah I think it only got approved in Canada a few years ago, were so behind. I'll wait for doctors to get in a few thousand procedures under their belt before I do it.. I dont want them 'training' with my eyes.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best decisions of my life. Such a minor inconvenience for something so transformative. I would suggest you get it as soon as you can

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Had Lasik 11 years ago this week.

Hurts like hell when the meds wear off after the surgery. Feels like someone jabbing an icepick in your temples. But just pass out and sleep it off and you're fine.

I have 20/15 vision in both eyes after it, so it was worth it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not me, but my dad. He got lasik very early on when it was relatively new.

Life changing amazing and simple operation. He wore glasses his entire adult life, from like 14 to when he finally had it done in his 50s, and he removed the need for him to wear glasses 99% of the time. He's a mega advocate for it.

OP
OP
Turbowaffles

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, is there a consensus "best" procedure between Lasik, Lasek/PRK, and Relex SMILE? I realize they're all slightly different procedures for different levels of vision/eye problems, but.... I like the idea of PRK since it doesn't involve a flap, though I know recovery time is way longer. SMILE seems like the best of both worlds, but I've not read enough about it.

Gonna schedule an appointment with my optometrist and get a recommendation for a doctor for all three types of eye surgery tomorrow, if possible.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I know a Lasik technician. He told me almost nobody working in the industry does it. Nerve damage and other complications are still too common.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'll prob. never get it done. Like my glasses too much. Good to have some extra accessories.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Have been contemplating it for years but can't risk getting any side effects like halos or dry eyes. Maybe I'll think about it again if I ever need reading glasses.

OP
OP
Turbowaffles

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necro bump but I'm getting my PRK consultation tomorrow and I'm super nervous. Someone share their experience/talk me down lol

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the necro bump but I'm getting my PRK consultation tomorrow and I'm super nervous. Someone share their experience/talk me down lol
You'll be fine. PRK does have a longer recovery period than LASIK. So you'll be out of commission for a few days.

Really, it'll just feel like you have sand in both of your eyes.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could get it done but it the thought of the surgery causes too much anxiety in me.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Had LASIK done November of last year. The procedure itself was relatively painless due to the numbing drops. Felt some weird pressure around my eyeballs but that's about it. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. Once the numbing wore off it was pretty intense pain for about 20 minutes but the office had stated this exact thing was going to happen multiple times so I was aware of it. Took some Tylenol PM (as recommended) and went to sleep for about 6 hours. When I woke up there was no pain and my eyesight was almost perfect.

Eyesight gradually got better for the next few days and has been great since. Took all post-op eye drops exactly as recommended. The halo-ing effect from street lights at night was very apparent for the first week. I don't know if it has actually gotten better or I'm just used to it now. Don't have any problem with dry eyes either, but I've heard a lot of people that do. I don't take any artificial tears after the first 3 months despite being told to take them but I just don't see a reason to at this point.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Had it 6 months ago. Whole procedure took less than 30 minutes. First day was rough with the dryness. Went home, took a 16 hour nap (thanks NyQuil!) And felt amazing the next day. Have 20/15 vision now. Only cost me $250 per eye.

Only downside is that I'm much more sensitive to brightness now than I was before.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
I had PRK 2 years ago - ultimately the decision between PRK and LASIK was based on the thickness of the cornea. Vision was perfect the second I sat up, it's literally lasers shooting into your eyes - exactly what you think it is. I had a half-second of, "oh shit, wtf are you doing."

Vision then was very poor for about a week and then I saw double for almost 3 weeks. It was very difficult to drive, I couldn't read, couldn't watch tv. I listened to a ton of podcasts and slept. It was very scary during that time and had several panic-y phone calls with their office. After a month I was back to 20/15.

Would I do it again? Probably. Was it simple and without issues? For me, absolutely not.

Edit: It was $5,000.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Honestly when I first got it done like 27 years ago? It felt like the greatest miracle in life. I went from blind as a bat to perfect 20/20 vision over the course of 8 hours while I rested after surgery. It was like .....a life changing experience

It was LASIK and all it felt like was slight pressure and it looked like they were swapping out contacts.

Walked out with the Rey Charles glasses. Doesn't happen to a lot of people but I felt like I had salt thrown in my eyes for a good 5 hours. But like I said when I woke up and I can see my alarm clock with out glasses was one ofthe biggest "holy shit" moments in my life.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Did Lasik in 1999, took all of 5 minutes for the operation. No pain, the only annoyance was the clamps keeping the eye lids open.

Post operation, they covered my eyes for 24hrs, then when I opened them for the first time it was like I was born again.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
Does anyone experienced rainbow glare? I did mine last year, I still experience minor rainbow glare in pitch dark when there is white light

OP
OP
Turbowaffles

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys who had it done 15-20+ years ago... any long term effects? Has it worn off at all? Did you still eventually need glasses?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
My wife had Lasik done 15ish years ago. Both eyes. She cried the next morning cuz she was so happy she could see the clock clearly from across the room.

15ish years later she's starting to need glasses again for some things and she's ok with that. Part of getting older
Can't imagine what her eyesight would be like had she never gotten Lasik.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, as if I wasn't nervous/scared enough as is, lol. What exactly can nerve damage on the eyeballs do? 😟
During the procedure a flap is cut to access the lens but there are actually nerves crossing the film so when they are severed sensitivity is lost which means the eye loses some of its ability to detect dryness. It's not permanent for everyone but it's still a risk.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Does Lasik wear off?
No. Think of it as etching your current glasses prescription directly into your eyes. But if your eyes are still getting worse with age, that process doesn't stop. That's why it's best to wait until your eyes stop changing or it slows to the point where it won't be a problem before getting LASIK.

I had it done about seven or eight years ago. I've needed reading glasses for up-close reading ever since, but it's preferable to wearing glasses or contacts all the time, and my far vision is still excellent, better than it ever was with glasses.

I swear we get these threads every couple of months. I always give the same advice: When you're shopping around, don't look for price, look for expertise, and to hell with how much it costs. Don't skimp out on important changes to your own body. If you want it done right, spend the money.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. Think of it as etching your current glasses prescription directly into your eyes. But if your eyes are still getting worse with age, that process doesn't stop. That's why it's best to wait until your eyes stop changing or it slows to the point where it won't be a problem before getting LASIK.

I had it done about seven or eight years ago. I've needed reading glasses for up-close reading ever since, but it's preferable to wearing glasses or contacts all the time, and my far vision is still excellent, better than it ever was with glasses.

I swear we get these threads every couple of months. I always give the same advice: When you're shopping around, don't look for price, look for expertise, and to hell with how much it costs. Don't skimp out on important changes to your own body. If you want it done right, spend the money.
A family member actually had it done years ago and none of the horror stories occured, and no glasses ever since. I'm really thinking about doing it because I look so much better without glasses.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Remember: you asked.

Reposting my Lasik story:

I've had Lasik done, over 15 years ago. The best surgery ever! I still look around in amazement sometimes. Though, it wasn't without its pitfalls. Here's my horror story:

One of the bonuses of pre-surgery is they give you a Valium. I'm happily zoning out in the waiting room when the nurse comes to get me. We go to a dark room and she makes me lie back on a reclining chair. She puts a drop of numbing solution in my right eye (it's that same yellow stuff they put in your eye when you have a glaucoma pressure test). Then she prepares to put a drop in my left eye. For some reason, she takes much longer to do this. I've got my eye wide open, waiting, waiting. Then, just when she squeezes out the drop, I blink. I feel the drop splash against my lashes. Some got in my eye, I think. It had to. I mean, they probably use a lot stronger numbing solution than they even need to, right? Why wouldn't they? It's eye surgery after all. These are my thoughts in my Valium haze. Meanwhile, the nurse is standing at the office door telling me it's time for surgery. I get up and follow, mentioning nothing about the errant drop.

Surgery ensues. They hold your eyes open with clamps right out of A Clockwork Orange and a special saw slices open your cornea (bzzt-bzzt-bzzt), which they flip back and use a laser on the interior to change its shape and how it focuses (pop-pop-pop). Right eye, fine. When they start on my left eye, I CAN FEEL THE SAW CUTTING MY EYE OPEN! Perhaps the doctor noticed my hands clenching the armrests, as he asks me if everything is all right. Well, the saw was really fast, and my eye has already been cut, so I tell him it's fine. Proceed to laser. I CAN FEEL THE LASER BURNING INTO MY EYE! Oh, and later it feels like there's grains of sand in your eye and you want to claw them out. Good times.

Again, I would do it all over with no hesitation. I had 20/10 vision for years, and it's only as I've gotten older that I need reading glasses, which eye surgery can't help.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Yeah I think it only got approved in Canada a few years ago, were so behind. I'll wait for doctors to get in a few thousand procedures under their belt before I do it.. I dont want them 'training' with my eyes.
I had normal Lasik done two years ago. I read up on SMILE at that point and basically found a lot of threads saying "Its too early to really say anything about long term effects." so I figured I'd just let other people test. There's no real benefit to it that I've read of other than a slightly easier recovery.

I'm happy I had it done. The procedure was really unnerving for me. I was scared to death I'd blink or look the wrong way in the middle, but... I don't think its really a worry. They hook clamps/tape on your eyes to keep them open, and the computers are crazy smart about tracking. You just have to stare at some really bright lights. There are two lasik versions. One uses a small blade to slice the front of your eye. Thats the old one. The newer uses a laser to cut the flap. That's what I had done. So there were two different machines I was put in front of. I had to walk in between the two machines, but you can't really see much at that point, so someone helps you. They gave me drugs (valium?) to keep me calm too :)

My sight is pretty good now. 20/15 I think? I'm more far sighted than I was (was near sighted before), so for a bit it was hard to read up close. I think I've just adjusted and know where that limit is, but also your eyes spend about a year sorta settling in after. I literally for two months always found myself staring outside at things far away trying to see how well I could read, worried it wasn't good enough. I don't notice it anymore at all. I forget I ever had it done really.

They say that even with, after 40 your eyes start getting worse again. I hit 40 this year, so they offered to actually make mine each different prescriptions. Like built-in bifocals. I turned that down because I don't like to think about being old.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If you have rosacea, don't do it. I still have dry eyes over a year later. :(

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I always have some interest in doing it. The problem is, I think I look better with glasses and I don't mind wearing ones.

I don't even bother with contacts. The only time I wish I didn't have to wear glasses to see are when I ride a rollercoaster and when I work out or swim.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
During the procedure a flap is cut to access the lens but there are actually nerves crossing the film so when they are severed sensitivity is lost which means the eye loses some of its ability to detect dryness. It's not permanent for everyone but it's still a risk.

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

So I've seen mention of several different types of surgery techniques (prk, lasik, etc.)...so just because a technique is newer, it doesn't necessarily mean it's "better" right? I'm assuming that probably because the technology/technique hasn't been practiced for as long as the older methods?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a very reputable eye surgeon who advised me not to have it done at my consultation as I have (at the time undiagnosed) very minor kerataconus, and though surgery was technically possible it would likely have caused complications. So make sure you go somewhere reputable

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
My sis had it done a few years back and was botched during the procedure. No idea what happened, but she couldn't fight em on it because of some waiver.

So she's out a few grand and now one eye is a bit fucky, but nothing really changed.