• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Based on looks, move set, lore, whatever - what are you preferred weapons in each of the series entries? Count King's Field if you want since I'm counting Demon's and Bloodborne.

Demon's Souls

I like Blueblood and Bramd. Blueblood is pretty vanilla at this point but the speed and power and weird stat scaling and method of obtaining it made it cool. Kind of the progenitor of some of the other similar swords in the franchise that I ended up liking. Bramd was kind of the perfect storm of the "enormous weapons" in the franchise for me, since I think it looks the coolest but also the speed of most of Demon's combat made it pretty fun to use. If it were either ugly (like some of the later similar weapons) or really slow and bad (like some of the later similar weapons) I probably wouldn't like the weapon type as much. It's similar to Blueblood in that I ended up liking a lot of weapons that were similar. Maybe not because of it, but it was the first regardless. Runner up - Guillotine Axe and/or Blind.

MPJhaXh.jpg

RTmTSQP.jpg

Dark Souls

Could pick several from this game but continuing the rather plain swords I like, Silver Knight Straight Sword. Cool handle (hilt?) but overall rather boring. Not sure why I like it. Velka's looks amazing and is fun to backstab with. Overall not the best weapon for someone casting, especially if buffing, but I liked it anyway. Not disgustingly common in pvp IIRC. Runners up would maybe be Grant (just for Wrath), Dark Hand if shields count, and Darkmoon Bow.

xy29y7X.png

j5dXEDL.jpg

Dark Souls 2

Honestly not many weapons I like in this game. Crypt Blacksword I always used but the moveset is filthy. Looked cool though, I though. Fume Sword is yet again a plain sword I like for no real reason. I think because I used it on a Dark build and invaded the stupid pathway to the DLC Smelter Demon for like 3 days straight killing people and just became addicted to it. Runner up would be Sacred Chime Hammer I guess.

BiDQECu.jpg

mVxjaLA.jpg

Bloodborne

Probably contains many people's favourite weapons in the franchise just for animations. Like the other huge weapons I liked, Kirkhammer is what I always want to use, but I don't really like the hyperarmor system of Bloodborne so I never do. Still, I think it looks cool, plus it has a "basic boring sword" which I obviously like. Put it in Demon's and it would be one of my favourite in any of the games. The DLC did give me one of those with the Church Pick though. Transformation and moveset and speed are amazing, and maybe my favourite weapon in any of the games. Most of the weapons in the game could probably be honorable mentions but I'll say Stake Driver.

CB05A9P.gif

tRT9hoA.gif

Dark Souls 3

To keep the OP meme going while not lying that much, Anri's Straight Sword and Morne's Great Hammer. Anri's is boring but at least Morne's looks like the Bramd!

9VF7w20.png
5GlM5rM.png

To be less boring though I'll also name Crescent Moon Sword and Lothric War Banner. CMS is kind of bad IIRC but the special was fun and it was fast enough. Lothric War Banner was plain enough for me to like it but also by the time the DLC was out all I enjoyed doing was getting summoned to help people so it was kind of practical as well. And its effect looks nice. Shoutouts to Valorheart for the cool move set.

xWe3NFs.jpg

g6fhBVY.jpg

That's all I think. Name as many / little games and weapons as you want, I think I just happen to mostly like 2 weapons per game lol.

Tm7y2Cd.gif

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is the king. The trick weapons are just so good.

The Kirkhammer, the saw cleaver, simon's bow...

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
hqdefault.jpg
The Beast Claw can turn you into an actual Beast! How is that not the best weapon ever?!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
hqdefault.jpg
The Beast Claw can turn you into an actual Beast! How is that not the best weapon ever?!
Too many beasts in the game already, it doesn't need another!

Saw cleaver is such a great weapon, the ability to combo with the L1 is so good.
R1, R1,R1,L1 and L1 combo does soo much damage.
It's too good but it's presence since the reveal + as a starter weapon + being good enough to use throughout the game makes me kind of tired of it.

Bloodborne is the king. The trick weapons are just so good.
The Kirkhammer, the saw cleaver, simon's bow...
Don't think I ever used simon's bb aside from just trying it out. Cool idea in that game though.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Lothric Knight Long Spear.

Looks really good with long spearhead and cloth dangling.

Literally carries me for the entirety of Dark Souls 3.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
BLOODBORNE BURIAL BLAAAAAAADE BAYBAY!
scythe2.gif

ImpartialFaintHeifer-size_restricted.gif

Glorious stylish scythe action, bettering its great and lifehunt predecessors from Souls.
Also gets you back more regain health per hit allowing you to be a somewhat reckless sonovabeeetch

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne makes other Souls weapons look standard and boring.

My favorite would be the pizza cutter

It looks and feels amazing

tumblr_nupk04AIgI1rg73lko1_400.gif

tumblr_nyg1kebEWl1tt3wuco1_540.gif

Runner up Gehrman's weapon.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
BLOODBORNE BURIAL BLAAAAAAADE BAYBAY!
scythe2.gif

Glorious stylish scythe action, bettering its great and lifehunt predecessors from Souls.
Also gets you back more regain health per hit allowing you to be a somewhat reckless sonovabeeetch
Ignoring the transformation aspect it's probably my favourite scythe in the franchise. That charge attack always feels so powerful lol.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Just give me the Rakuyo and the Threaded Cane from Bloodborne and I'm a happy man. Maybe throw in the Church Pick, just to be safe.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I like the DS1/DS3 Claymore a lot.

Bloodborne, saw cleaver and hammer are also good!

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PAIRED RINGED KNIGHT GREATSWORDS

ANIME IN DARK SOULS FOREVER

hqdefault.jpg
Best BB weapon for me also, and super broken. Inherent beast meter, strong stagger, and rapid attacks make it so OP and fun and really makes the rally system shine.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Demon Souls - I've always loved the design of Blind, quickly become my favourite weapon

blind-on-hand-large.jpg

Dark Soul - Plain old Vanilla Uchigatana, it's always my go to weapon and I just enjoy it.

Dark Souls 2 - 2 stand out for me, Crypt Blacksword and Ice Rapier, overall the Crypt Blacksword probably takes the slot.

Dark Souls 3 - Dancer's Enchanted Swords, they just look awesome with their effects as well as the Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords, when I first saw these my jaw dropped.

Bloodborne - Would actually go to the gun Evelyn but if we had to go with weapon then the Threaded Cane, a gentlemen hunter's weapon

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Uchigatana is super tight, really fun. As is the Scimitar.

Zweihander is pure fun though. That goddamn squish is the best. And apparantly it can make enemies go flying too?!

1A082572938E2548299607096BAD1D4CE0B7363E

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Uchigatana/Shotel dual wield was my main build for Demon's, Dark, and Dark 3. Quick dual wield dex weapons with a built in fantastic parry on the Shotel, and no hiding behind a shield is my ideal playstyle.

Dark Souls 2 is the grand lance, because it's a great weapon class and it's a crime that they aren't in the other games, and the grand lance is like a death stick that just destroys everything you poke.

Bloodborne is the Threaded Cane, because it's a goddamn cane that doubles as a sword and a whip.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
RZ63LLG.png

Not sure how useful it actually was but I loved the way the special move looked

Hunt+you+down+with+the+lifehunt+scythe+then+cut+open+_98447d0d7376fdac7e2d9ccf9a611219.jpg

I ended up killing myself with it plenty of times but I still loved using the lifehunt scythe

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I love spears, and Dark Souls possibly has my favourite one in a game.

Silver Knight Spear

It's super long, it's super pokey, it kills ghosts and skellies dead with no fuss. It's my favourite Souls weapon.

8jMjsRT.jpg

That this didn't make a return in 3 was criminal.

Hollowism

Dec 25, 2017
All my favorites come from Blooborne personally.
The Rakuyo is one of my favorites, its a cooler Blade of mercy IMO. The Moonlight Greatsword is another favorite and was at its best in Bloodborne. "Ahhh, you were at my side all along. My true mentor. My guiding moonlight..." The coolest bossfight ever...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Greatsword

DaS3Greatsword.png

That thing was too big to be called a sword. Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough. It was more like a large hunk of Iron.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Give me any rapier or dagger and I'm good to go. I don't really like big, oversized or slow weapons and I like to pick something up early and stick with it, so late game weapons I usually never even give a chance.

DeS - Rapier
DS1 - Mail Breaker, Velka's, regular Rapier, Bandit Knife, Partizan (fun, unique moveset for a spear), Jagged Ghost Blade (quick to farm, can get start of the game, SL1 can use it, has bleed and upgrades with Twinkling so can get it maxed to +5 very, very early).
DS2 - Really liked the Short Sword's moveset, iirc it had a rapier-like R2 thrust that was different to the poke from DS1, also dual Rapiers.
DS3 - Long Sword and I'm good to go. It's all about that R1 spam any way right?! But really I don't replay it enough to know any other decent weapons.
BB - Saw Cleaver is all I ever need, great transform attacks and fast. I've done runs with everything, but always come back to the Saw Cleaver.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls

Claymore: this sword can carry you in any game it's featured. It's fast, long, has good horizontal atatcks and an amazing poke. It also scales evenly with both parameters, making it a perfect weapon for newcomers and veterans, even beyond NG+

65-1-1348209838.jpg

Queelag Furysword: it has the amazing curved sword moveset, with a very good range, and the most important thing.... it has flames! What's not to love?
GJ40x0J.png

Dark Souls II

Twinblades: honestly, these weapons are underrated. One handed they are bad, but two handed, they are stagger machines that can achieve high damage, as long as you know how to open your attacks. The Dragonrider Twinblade isn't the best looking of the bunch, but magic infused and buffed it destroys enemies before they can even get out of their stagger.

dark_souls_2___gold_crested_dragonrider_twinblade_by_cerberus071984_d7i2i0j-pre.jpg

Chaos Blade: honestly, I nominate this if only because how stupidly broken is. Seriously, use a RoBFlynn build and this shit melts.

Bloodborne

Burial Blade: without a doubt the best scythe in all Soulsborne games by far. Unlike other scythes, this thing does have wide horizontal attacks that catch everyone in front of you. It's strong attack also sends enemies flying around, perfect to take out pressure. And it's sidestep attack is satisfying both in its animation and sound, and it's also a powerful attack thanks to its arcane scaling, pushing you to have a very agile playstyle of stepping and countering. It even has a pseudo-poke attack!

Moonlight Sword: like the Burial Blade, the Moonlight Sword from Bloodborne is the best M.S. of all Soulsborne. It's an incredibly stylish weapon with it's glow aura, with decent wide horizontal attacks, it throws friggin lasers and if you can hit your enemy with both the blade and the laser your achieve the highest damage possible in Bloodborne.
The 1-handed version is severely underrated, it has the Claymore poke, but this time spammable!
tumblr_nz43s9Ai8z1rn9ge0o4_500.gif

Dark Souls III

Ringed Knight Spear: I love this thing, and it really shines with the new Weapon Art system. You can burn this thing, but also have incredibly wide and long horizontal attacks, ending with a fire projectil.
q9oatmletpoy.jpg

Onyx Blade: it's not probably the most special weapon moveset-wise, but buffing this thing is always fun, especially if you manage to hit enemies while doing it. It's also one of the very few 3-stat weapons that manages to do good damage (Moonlight Swords excluded), and it's also a perfect weapon for magic (especially pyromancers) builds that want to have a strong hitting weapon that doesn't require a boring sword with a infusion............. and come on, buffing a greatsword with dark flames is beyond badass.

qzpL2nZ.jpg

I honestly love DS3 weapon arts, especially with the DLC weapons that give more special properties.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I am really disappointed that nobody named the best weapon in all Soul games the Claymore.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Yorgh's spear
AYpKhvN.jpg

Its easily one of the most versatile weapons in all the souls games since it uses multiple weapon type movesets. Its great to mess with other players who aren't familiar with it.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
The Threaded Cane is what Bloodborne is to me. I only did a single playthrough and used it most of the time during it, but honestly the thing just fit the tone of the game so well that I can't even imagine playing with anything else. The game is so intrinsically tied to those animations of the cane whip flying around with blood gushing everywhere in my mind.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I love the Balder Side Sword and the MLGS from DS2.

I also really like the aquamarine dagger despite it sucking balls in pvp.

I also almost forgot the crucifix of the mad king from DS3, its so fun playing explosive roulette.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I played through Dark Souls only with the Claymore, definitely my favorite. I've liked greatsword class weapons in all DS games.

For Dark Souls 2 my favorite was the Great Club. The R2 flattening move is just too much fun and it's generally a super powerful weapon in the game.

In DS3 I have used a lot of different ones. My overall favorites have been Corvian Greatknife for its speed and damage, Lothric Knight Greatsword with lightning infusion for long reach and moveset and Vordt's Great Hammer which is probably one of the most OP weapons in the game.

In Bloodborne it has to be Church Pick for best overall weapon in the game thanks to its good moveset and the fact that it does both serrated and righteous damage. Purely for moveset I love the Amygdalan arm.

I don't really play PvP much so these are all for PvE.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Bramd.
Significantly more viable, better-looking and more fun to use than any other super-heavy weapon in the series. I liked how the one-handed R2 was slow enough that PVP opponents would dodge it, finish their roll and then get crushed into the ground.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Demon's Souls is my favourite one so naturally i like many weapons from it. Bramd, Insanity Catalyst and Dragon Bone Smasher all have great lore behind them and although i don't use them much i wanted to give them an honorable mention. In terms of favourite weapons it's either the Northern Regalia or the Peneterating Sword. The Peneterating Sword reach is absurd and when buffed it does good damage but it's not the best damage dealer in the game but i like it's design. The Northern Regalia is perfect for vitality builds because it scales from your tendency.
Where is the love for shields? the Darksilver Shield is the most reliable shield in all of Soulsborne imo.
dark-silver-shield-on-hand.jpg

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Demons Souls:

Kilij:
To my detriment I really like Curved Swords in the Souls games, mostly for the looks of the weapons and movesets.. Very few of them have proven to be optimal choices, but that doesn't matter - they're flashy AF.
In the case of the Kilij it is one of the few decent curved swords in the series, and I have fond memories of picking up the Crescent Kilij on my first Noble character - and while he killed most things quickly already, the Crescent Kilij still managed to speed up the process.

Spiral Rapier:
I have a fondness for DoT builds, regardless of whether it involves poison, toxic, bleeding, etc.. In the case of the Spiral Rapier it is one of those rare weapons with passive bleed.. And you can upgrade it to have poison on top - which made it double the fun!
Similar to my fondness for curved swords because of them usually having flashy movesets, I tend to enjoy rapiers for their animations.

Dark Souls:

Quelaag's Furysword:
Following the same theme as before, we have a Curved Sword. In this case however, it has less to do with looks and moveset, and more to do with lore.
That and it really suited my pyromancer well.

Ricard's Rapier:
Still following the same theme as before, we have Ricard's Rapier.. Honestly there're only two reasons why I like it, its style and the rapid stab move.. I guess it is also cool that you get it off Ricard himself.

Dark Souls 2:

Blue Flame:
This is where things start to differ.
The Blue Flame is a decent weapon on its own, but is hilarious when using a Spellblade build and dual-wielding two Blue Flames, with this and the use of one or two Soul Greatsword spells - you'll have most enemies dead in seconds. The design is very simplistic, but enticing nonetheless.

Black Witch's Staff:
The only reason that I decided to try out the Blue Flame mentioned above, is because I at one point had the crazy idea of making an "omni-mage" character - and went through with it. The Black Witch Staff is practically a requirement to play as an Omni-mage, since it allows you to cast every type of spell, except Pyromancies, but that's why you have a pyromancy glove in your off-hand!
This staff lead to a lot of hilarious co-op moments, since it let me adapt to the enemy's weaknesses (provided that I had prepared the spells to do so), and since I always I stood at the back, I was often the last man standing - ready to get that last hit with a bonk from the staff!

Dark Souls 3:

Vordt's Great Hammer:
This is solely due to the frostbite effect.. And it being the first boss weapon that I had actively used since Quelaag's Furysword - which makes me somewhat more invested in the weapon, regardless of its efficacy. I often keep it on hand even when using other weapons, just in case smashing is needed. As a sidenote.. I never actually figured out precisely what its weapon art did, but it seemed like it boosted my defences.

Manikin Claws:
I mentioned my penchant for DoTs up in the Demon's Souls section, and my reasons for liking these claws are more or less the same as what I mentioned for the Spiral Rapier. The key difference though, is that I prefer to upgrade the Manikin Claws' for regular damage and bleeding, rather than piling poison on top. The sidestep weapon art also makes them a lot of fun to use against single enemies with a bunch of health.

Bloodborne:

Threaded Cane:
If you're going out on the town to slay some beasts, you might as well look dapper while doing it.
The threaded cane, and my second favourite, Tonitrus are both rather simple-looking inn comparison to the majority of the other trick weapons, not having any jagged edges or mechanical additions. The threaded cane transforms into bladed whip that can easily hit multiple enemies - and while I wouldn't recommend doing so, it is a lot of fun to take down two or more enemies simultaneously with it. When not transformed it has a quick moveset that mostly involves annoying opponents to death with pokes and whacks. Stylish action that'd bring even Dante to shame.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I can't compete with all these great screens and gifs, but:

DS1: Claymore and Uchigatana and Balder Side Sword
DS2: Claymore and Uchigatana
DS3: Claymore and Uchigatana
Bloodborne: Ludwig's Holy Blade and Threaded Cane

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I dropped Souls 2 and 3 pretty quick so can't say anything about that.

For Bloodborne it's the Rakuyo and the Whirligig. Nothing comes even close to these two, for me personally.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The classic Long Sword for all DS episodes and the 110crit Lothric Sword variant in DS3.

My lovely DS3 Great Club that crushes rigged Knight like beer can and the Lightning Arrow, a miracle.

The Kirkhammer and the Threaded Cane in Bloodborne.

Kokoro

Jan 23, 2019
France
I must confess that I tend to go trough the Dark Souls games with the most basic weapons. Generally a straightsword paired with a shield, often the starter weapons. I like to keep it simple.
In Bloodborne I like the Hunter Axe for its spin Attack, it's fun. But my favorite weapon is definitely the cane. The whip form give me the feeling I play a Castlevania game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Drake Sword was great. I don't care if it doesn't scale well or if it's a crutch. It made the beginning of the game rather fun.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I always played rather conservatively (sword and board) so my answers won't be very exciting, that said :

- DS1 : Balder Swag Sword - I religiously farm this one on each new playthrough, good thing it doesn't take long. I usually keep it until I reach...
- DS1 : Great Scythe - Nothing more satisfying than reaping foes with a scythe

- DS2 : Blacksteel Katana !! Probably my most played weapon between all those. Another one I farm every game, and even better, I usually farm 3 or 4 of those, that's how much I like it. Probably the best for quality builds, that's probably why I chose this particular one despite the huge number of katanas in DS2. Chaos Blade would probably take this spot if it wasn't leeching life points after each successfull hit
- DS2 : Sun Sword - Fun to farm (coop boss as a Sunbro), very good for quality build
- DS2 : Fume Sword - The only big sword you'll find on this list, the Fume is so extravagantely big and raw I just couldn't say no after spending quite some tries felling its current master

- DS3 : Uchigatana
- As a mainly DEX player (*boooo*), acquiring this so early os a godsend
- DS3 : Dark Sword - Good reach, strong, good looking... Another case of religious farming until it drops. That and the Darkwraith set of course.

- BB : Cane Whip - Classy, elegant. A gentleman's weapon in a beast world.
- BB : Rakuyo - Too bad you get this one so late in the game, what a blast.

Well, I was more talkative than expected - TLDR : Quality one handed swords and katanas, with a pinch of FUME sword

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mine have already been said, so honorable mention:

Stake Driver mostly sucks, but has one of the most satisfying charge attacks ever.

UnsungMiserableCrossbill-size_restricted.gif