• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I loved my +5 Sticky compound long bow from Demon's Souls. It was a beast for a Dex build. I liked the grind getting it too; not too long and very satisfying once you got the drops.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I go purely with what I find fun and cool looking and feeling in Souls games honestly. Some of them aren't particularly great weapons maybe, but damn do they rule.

Bloodborne: Threaded Cane

I go full Castlevania, fuck you Lords Of Shadow. Absolutely love the feel and look of that snooty, violent whipping.
threaded_cane.gif

Shit, no time to list the other games...will edit later.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls: Meat Cleaver. It's absolutely terrifying and it has great damage and scaling.
Dark Souls 1: Demon's Great Machete. Style points if you farm a 2nd and dual-wield.
Dark Souls 2: Fume Ultra Greatsword... I don't remember much about DS2 but that's the weapon I ultimately went with so there you go.
Dark Souls 3: Gael's Greatsword. Claymore was already my weapon of choice and Gael's is basically an improved claymore.
Bloodborne: Pizza Cutter. The fact that you can run through the beginning of the DLC to get it fairly early in the base game is the icing on the cake.

For the most part I just like big swords. DS3 kinda fucked things up by making them too slow to use reliably though.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there's so many awesome and unique weapons in Bloodborne it's hard to choose one.
I'll post a few GIFs instead of posting one from every weapon which I'm sure I have XD.

Chikage:

RR71nYA.gif

Burial Blade:

kSy3Ape.gif

Blades of Mercy:

FH33mLF.gif

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who always goes for a magic-based character: Moonlight Greatsword and its variations. There's not much to choose from for intelligence/arcane based builds.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
25230245698_5f728b3e5b_o.gif

Onikiri and Ubadachi for the immensely satisfying Weapon Art into double slash for so much damage.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pizza cutter is one of the few weapons I never used much, I do have footage but never made any GIFs.
Threaded Cane I did spend a little time using and have a couple, only one I can find right now is one I uploaded to twitter.

Thanks for this one! Definetly the most elegant weapon. Was my pick when I played for the first time.
Shame you didn't see the light when it comes to the Pizza Cutter though. I recently started a new playthrough with it, it's amazing.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
For practical purposes, the northern regalia from "Demons Souls" was my go-to weapon. The whirligig saw from "Bloodborne" was cool aesthetically.

If I'm just fucking around, the mirdan hammer from "Demons Souls" was great. The stun-locking ability earned me many disconnects and angry emails from other players. The crystal ring shield from "Dark Souls" also holds a special place in my heart for how hilariously broken it was pre-patch.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Great Scythe and Burial Blade are my two favorite, from Dark Souls and Bloodborne respectively.

Claymore was probably my most used across the various games. It was my main weapon the first time I beat Dark Souls, so I've been fond of it since then.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
The Farron Greatsword (paired with a dagger). This shit is pure style.

It also happens to come from the best boss with the best theme in the game.

tenor.gif

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls - The Meat Cleaver

meat-cleaver-on-hand-large.jpg

Rolling attacks are pretty overtuned in Demon's Souls in general, but the Meat Cleaver's in particular is extremely fast, extremely powerful, and hits an enormous AoE around you. Blind is a cooler-looking weapon, and the Uchigatana was my first favorite weapon in the whole Souls series, but rolling around with a giant lump of metal and using nonsense shockwaves to blow everything up is just too much fun.

Dark Souls 1 - The Zweihander

z9HZ3.jpg

You pick it up right away and it knocks stuff down for the whole game, a true classic. Honorable mentions to the fantastic moveset of the Longsword and the double-rolling R1 of the Claw.

Dark Souls 2 - Double Ultra Greatswords

8XALNZQ.jpg

The Zweihander is great, but what if you had two Zweihanders? Not a build that makes a lot of sense, but it's fun and a good fit for DS2's less serious, more videogamey vibe.

Bloodborne - The Beasthunter Saif

latest

Easily my favorite weapon in the whole series. Its base moveset is excellent (especially the gap-closing R1 and the enemy-flattening charged R2), but it's the amount of control the transformation attacks give you over your spacing that really put it over the edge. Once you figure out what you're doing you can flow in and out of range in an extremely fluid fashion, there really isn't anything else like it in the series and it never stops feeling stylish as heck. Honorable mention to the sheer ridiculousness of the Whirligig Saw.

Dark Souls 3 - The Bastard Sword

MOUPqUM.jpg

DS3 has a ton of interesting weapons, so it's hard to pick just one. The Hollowslayer Greatsword is super stylish but has a terrible weapon art, the Claws and Brigand Axe have amazing weapon arts but are otherwise pretty straightforward. Ultimately the Bastard Sword wins out for me for its combination of good speed, cool look, versatile moveset, and an incredibly satisfying weapon art that launches enemies into space. Just a really solid weapon, though its range is a tiny bit lacking.

Last edited:

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
DS- Uchigatana
DS3- SUNLIGHT STRAIGHT SWORD- PRAISE THE FUCKING SUN and it's Oath of Sunlight
BB- Saw Cleaver, most versatile IMO.

BRB, downloading BB and DS3 again...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna cheat a little with Demon's Souls, but the rest will be more traditional answers. I hope it's ok!

Demon's Souls

Silver Catalyst

silver-catalyst-on-hand.jpg

I've never been into magic in games, always went with melee whenever given the choice, and Demon's Souls was no different. Did my first playthrough with a Claymore, and kept using melee without really thinking too much about it. Flash forward to 2018 (I think? Maybe 17), and for whatever reason I can't explain I decided to give magic a try, starting with Demon's Souls, and it blew me away. Not even the gameplay itself, though it was incredibly fun, but how brilliantly this specific game ties sorceries and miracles with the story, and how much deeper and more interesting the lore gets when you start interacting with the NPCs that never even talked to me before because I didn't have the stats and didn't really care.

Starting that mage playthrough not only opened up a world of possibilities in gameplay, making me play every game in the series as a sorcerer and later as a cleric (though Demon's is still the most fun for sorceries, imo), but made me completely fall in love with Demon's Souls in a way I never did before. It was always my least favorite in the series, or at most beating Dark Souls II, couldn't really decide, but after that playthrough, it quickly climbed my list and now sits comfortably as my third favorite, only behind Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1. It's a brilliant game, and manipulating the Soul Arts ties your actions to the story in a way that truly elevates the experience.

It's interesting how it was actually the first Souls game I played, back when the US version came out, but it only really clicked with me many years later.

With that said, it's only logical that my second choice for this game would be the

Talisman of Beasts

talisman-of-beasts-on-hand.jpg

An old wooden amulet resembling the Old One.

It can utilize both miracles and spells.

The symbol of God was nothing more than the Image of the Old One.

Such a simple, yet powerful item description. A haunting twist that brilliantly ties the conflict between clerics and sorcerers with the game's central theme and plot. What a masterpiece this game is. 10/10

Dark Souls

Reinforced Club

Z1BcMGvm.jpg

I know, I know, the most boring ass answer in the world, but this was the weapon I used as I fell in love with this series. As I mentioned before, Demon's was actually the first one I played, but it was with Dark Souls 1, in 2013, that the series really clicked with me, and it became my favorite franchise in gaming. This weapon taught me about scaling, as it slowly got better than that shiny Drake Sword and its higher stats that kept tempting me to go back to it, it taught me about exploring the moveset some more, with its forced jumping attack on R2, taught about how Souls games are balanced and mostly fair, with this shitty-looking weapon from the first real area of the game carrying me through the entire thing and the DLC.

It's mostly an emotional response about the fond memories I have of my first playthrough, but I do find myself going back to it quite often, and it's always a blast. I'd say that it's my favorite weapon in the entire game.

Zweihander

0858f5777493299378cc6a435d59625a.jpg

Ultra Greatswords are so cool. This one you can get very early in the game, has low stat requirements for two handing, is really strong but not quite Black Knight tier, it's the complete package. Each two handed hit just feels so damn good. The animation gives perfect feedback for this weapon. I LOVE doing Lightning Zweihander runs. Not any lore reason or emotional connection to a fond memory, this weapon is just simply awesome to use.

Dark Souls II

Greatsword

darksoulsii2014-05-29deuxk.png

This picture is actually of my own character. Just look at this shit, it's too fucking sick! A lot of people tend to go with the Crypt Greatsword for their Berserk weeb needs, but I just like the way this one looks a lot more. Very fun to use, too, it's one of the very few weapons that I find the Dark Souls II version a lot more interesting than the original. Loooooove this shit.

It also helps that it's not that great, unlike the Zweihander in the original Dark Souls, since II's bosses are a bit on the easy side. Fighting Fume Knight with the Greatsword was amazing.

Dark Souls II is still probably the best in the series for Fashion Souls, too, and I really enjoy that aspect.

Short Bow

khcSrEWm.jpg

Another boring ass answer, but this one is kind of similar to the Reinforced Club story. When Dark Souls II came out and I got the Short Bow very early on, I realized that I never even once used a bow in the first game, and decided to change that. I was forcing myself to use it, even when it didn't feel particularly effective. Just kept it with me, since I had three weapon slots in this game anyway, and used it to snipe some enemies, lure them one by one, this kind of thing. Then, when reading discussion online and seeing the hatred Shrine of Amana was getting, I realized just how incredibly useful this thing proved itself to be. I never really used it much for bosses or anything like that, but just the fact that it made a huge impact in the way I perceived a lot of the game's areas and encounters in a positive way is remarkable.

Unlike the Reinforced Club, though, I didn't stick with this one for the whole playthrough, I used a bunch of different bows, but since this was the one that got me started, I'll mention it.

It's kind of hard to go back to pacient playstyles after a first playthrough, though, so these days I also hate Amana.

Bloodborne

Burial Blade

tumblr_oebyk8ANwG1tt3wuco2_400.gif

My favorite Souls game, and my favorite story in a Souls game, and yet, I don't give a fuck about the lore here, it's just a cool ass scythe. I love edgy scythes in anime, and I couldn't WAIT to finally find this weapon I've been missing that I saw in gifs and screenshots. I saved my single Blood Rock for it, I would go search how to get it after finishing the game, because I didn't want any spoilers, so when I finished the game and saw it, I immediately upgraded it to +10 (finished the game with Burial Blade and Threaded Cane) and went stragiht for a NG+. No pause, no time to discuss the game or whatever, just straight through NG+, got another ending, and then started the late-game Chalice Dungeons, all with this weapon.

Previous scythes in this series have always been kind of lame to me, but they really hit the mark in how edgy it should be. It's the best. The charged R2 gives me life, as seen in gifs posted here.

Holy Moonlight Sword

tumblr_oebyk8ANwG1tt3wuco5_400.gif

Let's be honest here, everyone knew it was coming. Before they even announced any DLC for this game, everyone knew two things about it: We'd fight Ludwig, and he'd use the Moonlight Greatsword. Still, I wasn't ready for how incredible both the fight and the sword would be. I wanted it for tradition more than anything, but it ended up being one of my favorite weapons in the series, it's just SO much fun.

The arcane damage is kind of irrelevant, but still made me glad that I upgraded that shit on my first character just to see what the Hunter Tools did. It's so beautiful, and Ludwig is such a tragic figure with an interesting lore that isn't explored that much in the game, so having that sword with me just kept me thinking about it all the time. My true mentor, my guiding moonlight.

This is peak Moonlight Greatsword, it can't get any better, that's why I'm not even sad there won't be one in Sekiro.

Dark Souls III

Onikiri and Ubadachi

kamuia.jpg

Really enjoyed the twin weapons in Dark Souls III. Started as a Mercenary on my first playthrough, and I just love them. Some are just horrible, like the Crow Quills, but I still love them even then. And the Sellsword Twinblades are insanely OP, they cut through bosses HP like it's nothing. Before the bleed nerf, that shit was CRAZY. Went with the katanas mostly because of the moveset, I love that jumping attack. Though I was also considering the Irithyll Straight Sword for this spot. It's a very simple straight sword, but oddly enough it was the weapon I used the most the first time through, and I used MANY weapons on my first playthrough of Dark Souls III.

Firelink Greatsword

3044840-screen+shot+2016-04-06+at+12.22.16+pm.jpg

This is a weird choice to me, because, to be honest, I don't really like this weapon or the associated boss all that much. If this was a Dark Souls 1 weapon, I'd never use it. But I guess just because it's the final Souls game it feels right to use it. There are many weapons I think look cooler, or I have more fun playing, but I often find myself just wearing the Firelink Set and using this one. I welcome Déraciné, Sekiro and every other weird game they decide to make, I think it was about time, but I'd be lying if I said I won't miss Souls games. I hope they come back, eventually.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta give my love to the basic Halberd. Simple and unwavering, that range and damage got me through Demon's Souls way back in the day. Eventually moved onto Scythe weapons because of it. Until the Pimp Cane (honorable mention).

chalkshape

Jul 25, 2018
ds1: partizan/black knight halberd
ds2: pursuer ugs/fume sword
ds3: astora gs/vordt's greathammer
bloodborne: whirligig saw/saw cleaver

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I love spears, and Dark Souls possibly has my favourite one in a game.

Silver Knight Spear

It's super long, it's super pokey, it kills ghosts and skellies dead with no fuss. It's my favourite Souls weapon.

8jMjsRT.jpg

That this didn't make a return in 3 was criminal.
This by a LOOOONG poke. Silver Knight Spear is my favourite weapon. If you google it, the top fifth post is my love thread dedicated to the SKS on gamefaq. lol

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne has the best weapon selection of any game.

Gehrman's Scythe and the Threaded Cane are incredible weapons which are a ton of use.

In DS1 I used the Iaito a lot.

In DS3 my favorite is by far Friede's Scythe, and I was close to respeccing my faith into intelligence just to get more use out of it. Might do an NG+ someday to use it. Favorite weapon in the main game was the Brigand Twindaggers, for those backstabs and that sweet, sweet quickstep.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot about Bloodletter. That might replace Kirkhammer for me 🤔

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I had the most fun with the Zweihander in the Dark Souls games - or DS1, at least.

Every hit had one hell of an impact and it could stun damn near every enemy, if I remember correctly. That jump attack was great.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Scraping Spear
scraping-spear-on-hand.jpg

+ Monk fight.

Yes, I'm an asshole.

For those who don't know, it destroys armor and the monk boss fight is an actual player. So I'd just sit in that level waiting to get summoned as a monk and gate keep people with that thing.

2nd place would be any of the curved greatswords from DS2.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've been playing Dark Souls 2 (and enjoying it, sue me) and I started with a pretty boring Fire Longsword, but it wasn't doing the job against bigger enemies, so I switched to a Giant Ass Club and have been loving it. It doesn't work for all situations, and it breaks too fast, but it's the first time I've gone for such a heavy "blunt" object in a Souls game before, and it's a ton of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Dark Souls 2 (and enjoying it, sue me) and I started with a pretty boring Fire Longsword, but it wasn't doing the job against bigger enemies, so I switched to a Giant Ass Club and have been loving it. It doesn't work for all situations, and it breaks too fast, but it's the first time I've gone for such a heavy "blunt" object in a Souls game before, and it's a ton of fun.
It's great. I always went with dex-style weapons in every other game, but the moment I tried my first heavy STR weapon in Souls, my world changed.

It feels so good.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Try Crypt Blacksword! Or just get it and swing it around a bit.