• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
After watching the games that Sony showed in the Paris Game Week I got desires to get one. The games look fantastic. But I'm afraid I will not be able to appreciate it on a full hd TV and without hdr.

It will be much the difference with the versions of ps4 standard? I have a TV LG 43 "

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i got a OG PS4. Sorry.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Honestly, I've never seen the point of buying revisions for any system if you have the original.
It's the same experience.
But that's me.

BlackDove

Oct 31, 2017
If you are buying a console, probably the only one worth buying. The TV limitation impacts your enjoyment of the content to some degree, but still playing the games is equally as fun, even without the bells and whistles.

Oct 25, 2017
I have one but a 1080p TV so I can't use most of the benefits.
Seems about the same in that regard, but I imagine going forward it'll be pretty good for maintaining acceptable performance.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel it was, even with a 1080 Plasma. The performance boost and downsampled games look great.

In fact, I feel like the Pro and X are the 1080 consoles we were promised in 2013 at a more affordable price than we could have had back in 2013.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Bought one, I'm honestly not sure.
Never been the kind to be wooed by graphics and feel like I could done equally well with my old ps4 (that I gifted to my father)

soul

Oct 27, 2017
Of course.

I bet there will be some kick ass Black Friday bundles, you might want to hold off until then.

MikeKlump

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'd say if you have a 4K TV, even without HDR it is worth it. The resolution bump is very noticeable and going back to 1080p games like on the Switch is very noticeable.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want the best performance and visuals for said games yes, that's all there is too it...not sure why people have so much issue and need to create threads. All info is out there, I love my pro, that doesn't mean you will.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a 4K TV? Do you care about a select subset of games running at 60fps? There is your answer.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
These mid cycle console upgrades won't make all your games suddenly 60fps, it's mostly just higher pixels and some higher graphics settings here and there.

I'd say no it's not worth it get a PS4 Slim and use the money saved towards PS5

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The "upgrade price" after selling my old PS4 made it worth it for the higher resolution and performance. I wouldn't say it's night and day, but personally, I like having the best experience per platform within reasonable cost... which is why I'm considering a 1X even though there isn't a lot coming out for it that I want. I'm weird (dumb) like that.

Edit: For context, I am running it on a 4K TV.

Last edited:

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for non 4K TV owners. But with a 4K UHD TV, the PRO is def worth it. I can never go back to a OG PS4 with 1080p.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Is your TV 4K? If so, it may be worth it. I don't have a 4K TV or plan on buying one so I haven't upgraded from my original PS4.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I have one and I think it is worth one if you have a 4K HDR tv and have extra income to afford it.

Arcadia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
England
I've got similar feelings to the OP, so many big games coming up that will surely look great in 4k/HDR, I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out.

That said, as well as the Pro I would need to purchase a decent 4k/HDR TV + upgrade to a 4k/HDR capable AVR.

That all adds up to a lot of money, which dampens my enthusiasm somewhat.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a 1080p TV owner it feels like I've been more disappointed with mine than not but I think overall it's worth it. Tomb raider, Nier and Last Guardian all ran better on Pro by a considerable margin and downsampling is a pretty nice feature to have...when devs decide to actually use it. If you can find a good deal on one this holiday season then get it.

Oct 31, 2017
I bought one before I got a 4KTV and the improved image quality and performance boost was worth it even on my old 1080p TV.

OP
OP
-PyramidSong

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I've got similar feelings to the OP, so many big games coming up that will surely look great in 4k/HDR, I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out.

That said, as well as the Pro I would need to purchase a decent 4k/HDR TV + upgrade to a 4k/HDR capable AVR.

That all adds up to a lot of money, which dampens my enthusiasm somewhat.

I feel you, man. 4K TVs are expensive as hell in my country.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This is what I said to this question on the old forum.

A bit out of context, but short answer, hell yes.
Why? Here is my wall of text:

Question:
Why would you be interested in getting a Pro if you don't plan on using a 4K TV? That makes no sense to me.

Answer from me:
Because Super Sampling is so freaking good, it's out of this world.

For me, it was worth it, 100 times.

So many games use the power of the pro, some with a dramatically difference in performance and graphics, I can't play without one anymore.
Super sampling for 1080p users is amazing and worth every penny, it's a huge difference, in my opinion.
Aliasing is one of the last and biggest problems consoles still had, super sampling eliminates that completely and let games look like art.
Like I say in an old posting, super sampling alone is a game changer.

x3Nzuhp.png

WXAwihe.png

dyb41G6.png

T82RFtM.png

What someone wrote:
I honestly couldn't tell the difference from upgrading to Pro.

What I responded (worth the read)
I think you really have no idea how many games of your library actually have massive Pro support and how many of your games would run way worse on a normal one.

Just if I think about my library alone, almost every game I played in the last 9-10 months would I not have wanted to play on a normal PS4 after I saw the improvements.

Games like Horizon, Mass Effect Andromeda, Uncharted 4, Nier Automata, Edith Finch, Shadow of Mordor, The Division, Last Guardian, Hellblade, Crash Bandicoot, Elite Dangerous, Ratchet & Clank, Nioh, Kingdom Hearts, Diablo 3, Ark, Tekken 7, FFXV and many more and even games like Yakuza 0 who only uses the Boost mode (amazing feature) improves from the Pro. Sure, some of them only have have a 1080p upgrade from 900p, some of them only Super Sampling, but most of them run so much better and look so much better as on the standard console, I can't put in in words how happy I am that I own the Pro for these games after I saw several Digital Foundry comparison videos.

I still think this whole "Pro = 4K Console" is the wrong marketing and unfortunately, even most of the NeoGAF user still believes this marketing and that's bad. I can't believe so many people can't look behind it or just don't see for what this console really is in the first place.
Pro = better frame rate/stable frame rate, better textures, better performance. Higher resolution is not or at least should not be the main aspect in your head when you think about the Pro only because the marketing says so. This console is so much more and gives you even more many extra minor features like the Boost mode, 1080p streaming, 1080p remote play, 60 minute and 1080p recording and maybe even more that I don't remember now.

This is not simply a 4K PS4, it's a premium PS4 with many improvements in every little corner, for 4k user and 1080p user too.

The console is worth it just as much for 1080p users as for 4K users and it is a shame that the 4K aspect is the only thing that most people see when they talk about the PS4 pro.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got mine even though I was 1080p myself. Just for the framerate boost/performance boost it was worth it.

I was able to get in a good trade in deal though (ended up buying it for aboutr 140$ CAD). I wouldn't buy it full price otherwise.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's worth it if you can get the base model for 200€ or less (happened last year so you may wait).

It's not really a gamechanger imo. I just bought it because I didn't want to feel like I play inferior versions. Plus the Sony guidelines for pro versions seem to be non existent. Support has been a mixed bag so far.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
After seeing those stunning games from PGW, I'm just a trip from Best Buy away from having one. But I'm going to wait and see if the price drops or if we get some neat bundles (crossing fingers for a Spidey one).

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I've got one with a 1080p TV and I honestly can't tell the difference. It may be better but with no understanding of how new games play on the OG anymore I can't really perceive the benefits. I'm sure they are there but.... Nothing groundbreaking.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I have one with a 1080p TV and do feel the improvements are worth it personally but it's much less noticeable than if you have a 4K display. If you have a 4K set then I would absolutely recommend it.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I have one for a 1080p tv. I will be upgrading to 4K OLED. It's worth it for framerate issues to me. I only got it though because it was cheap on craigslist and I got to sell my OG PS4 for a decent price.

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not worth it if you already have a PS4. It is probably worth it if you don't. I don't see much of a difference in my HDR TV.

Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
In your case you don't need to bother with getting the pro unless you are upgrading your tv in the near future.
I got a Pro at launch despite having only a 1080P tv because the pro offered a significant performance and quality upgrade to the PSVR.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a PS4 Pro on the weekend. It looks great on my 1080p set but after seeing it on my brother's 4K tv I realised that I needed to upgrade so have just ordered a 4K/HDR set. I am getting the X next week though so probably had more incentive to do so.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, here's my take on it.
I was one of the first adaptors of getting a 4k hdr telly when they first come out. I have a PC, PS4, XB1s, and switch.

I have played games in 4k on my PC. I have played 1080p games with HDR on my PS4. Overall, I'd highly prefer the HDR(which you get with standard ps4/XB1) over 4K ANY day.

Not to say 4k isn't worth it, because it is. But another note to make is - I feel consoles need to have a new jump in performance, from a visual and CPU perspective.

TL;DR Ps4 Pro and Xbox one X aren't worth getting for just the 4K. Wait til next generation.(if your TV supports HDR)

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4K tv and recently decided not to get the Pro but got a Slim instead. it came down to saving money and the size of my tv. It is a 43 inch and when I play, I am usually playing across the room on my couch. So the resolution improvements would basically be lost on me. I figured that at this point in the console cycle, I'll go cheap and upgrade in a few years. I was a late adopter for the PS3 and saving money makes sense to me. I am loving he Slim and am enjoying the huge upgrade from my PS3. Again I think the improvements between the Pro and the Slim would be lost on me but this way I can still enjoy current gen games.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have an OG PS4 and no 4K TV, absolutely not. It's okay if you have a 4K TV.