• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So there have been quite a few posts and threads recently of people saying "there's no good candidate" and to "not vote for anyone" or they are not going to vote if Joe Biden is nominated. I just wanted to remind these privileged few who don't have to vote that their non-vote is a vote for Trump. Now keep in mind that I was for Warren first, then Harris, and finally Bernie, so I am by no means a "Biden guy", but I will vote for him, and do everything in my power to ensure Trump is defeated. Just so we're clear on what your non-vote means and supports, a quick reminder of things Donald Trump has done in 3 years.

-Emboldened literal nazis and white supremacists who actually murdered someone at a rally. His words literally caused the death of a young lady by a white supremacist.

-Instead of fighting against the rampant murder of black men by law enforcement he has taken the opposite stance and doesn't think police are rough enough on perceived "criminals".

-added 1/3rd of current federal judge appointments, extremely conservative-minded people who are absolutely trampling on the rights to vote, abortion rights, civil rights of people of color. Added Supreme court judges who will strike down Abortion rights when they hear the case.

-dismantled any response the United States had for the global threat facing the world known as climate change

-Kids in cages. That's all I need to say about that horrific policy.

-Transphobia. His administration is not just passively pushing, they are actively trying to enact policies to directly hurt this community.

-He is also negligent in dealing with Puerto Rico's emergencies and his incompetence caused at least 3000 deaths there.

-Qanon, The fucking craziest, looniest people on the net are emboldened by him, and their ridiculous conspiracies are becoming more "mainstream" in some circles. Lest we forget, one of their conspiracies caused a man to try to "save" children he thought were being held in a basement in a pizza shop.

So to put a pin on this rant, a vote for anyone BUT the democratic nominee is a vote in support of all the above-posted items plus many more.

These are just some of the more serious things he's done, not to mention the obvious racism, sexism, homophobia also running rampant.

So to tell people to just "not vote" is asinine and quite frankly insulting to the numerous communities Donald Trump is actively engaged in trying to hurt. And this isn't just theoretical or rhetoric or "my opinion", this is a fact. So while you may be comfortable with four more years of Donald Trump. I'm not and many others are not nor can they afford to be.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't vote for a credibly-accused rapist" is not privilege, and people like you making that argument should feel bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden's brain is turning to slush before our eyes, he's already said he would veto M4A if it ever got to his desk, and he's been credibly accused of assault by a former staffer just in the past few days (yet the Believe Women folks are silent?). What reason do I have to vote for him?

Sep 14, 2019
I've always been "Vote Blue No Matter Who."

With the current accusations, I don't know if I can keep saying that...

And I'm a queer PoC.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
I'd somewhat agree before the recent stuff, but no-one should be forced the moral burden of supporting a potential rapist.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You are letting the time you spend here cause you to think that the majority think this way. There's no large amount of people planning to not vote. Trump is on his way out.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope we can come up with a solution for the entire country to vote remotely.

Joe Biden's brain is turning to slush before our eyes, he's already said he would veto M4A if it ever got to his desk, and he's been credibly accused of assault by a former staffer just in the past few days (yet the Believe Women folks are silent?). What reason do I have to vote for him?

Because, the alternative?

OP
OP
Chrome Hyena

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I'd somewhat agree before the recent stuff, but no-one should be forced the moral burden of supporting a potential rapist.
Well then they support an actual murderer and nazi sympathizer. its really that simple. there's no more room for wishy washy bullshit. People have actually died due to the current guy in office. so i won't pat myself on the back if he wins re-election because i didn't vote.

You are letting the time you spend here cause you to think that the majority think this way. There's no large amount of people planning to not vote. Trump is on his way out.

Hmm.. this may be true. I forget how much of a bubble this place can be at times.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. This take was tired before yesterday. Now it just comes off as bad.

Still you should at least vote down ballot.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
"Don't vote for a credibly-accused rapist" is not privilege, and people like you making that argument should feel bad.

I am not disagreeing with you, but what if these are the choices:

- Credibly-accused rapist who will not outlaw abortion
- Credibly-accused rapist who will outlaw abortion

Is there still no moral argument as to the difference of effect between electing either one?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I won't fault anyone for not wanting to vote for a credibly accused rapist, but I unfortunately agree that elections have consequences. Climate change, women's reproductive rights, SCOTUS, children in cages, etc. are still very important issues.

But holy fuck is the USA a fucked up country, if you get to the point where two sexual predators are competing for the highest office in the land (and two more sit on its highest court).

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Well then they support an actual murderer and nazi sympathizer. its really that simple. there's no more room for wishy washy bullshit. People have actually died due to the current guy in office. so i won't pat myself on the back if he wins re-election because i didn't vote.

People die constantly because of the systems we created and support. This hard cleave between business as usual and the evil of Trump specifically is artificial and a way for people like you to feel like heroes.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Don't vote for Biden. Vote for a Democratic Supreme Court, judges, and an administration that isn't filled with ghouls.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore the people on this site and what they claim they will do with their vote, you're life will be much happier for it. It's really not worth the trouble to make threads like this

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I won't fault anyone for not wanting to vote for a credibly accused rapist, but I unfortunately agree that elections have consequences. Climate change, women's reproductive rights, SCOTUS, children in cages, etc. are still very important issues.

But holy fuck is the USA a fucked up country, if you get to the point where two sexual predators are competing for the highest office in the land (and two more sit on its highest court).

No argument there. And Bidens probably as predictable a 1 term President as can be because of shit like this for sure. So this whole process will be repeated in 4 years, hopefully with better candidates; but Trump is getting out of there, immediately.

TAFAE

Aug 27, 2018
Michigan
Yeah, I will not vote for anyone credibly accused of rape. The Democratic party apparatus has had plenty of time to vet all of their candidates and still has time to make Biden step down. They can fix this problem if they want.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
seems like a system that almost always devolve in to picking two bad choices without giving people the option to vote something else is a bad system.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of people's thoughts on Biden the consequences are much bigger than that. Your point is pretty much spot on that era is filled with privileged people that can easily sit out because they are mad. Most people don't have that luxury.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is there still no moral argument as to the difference of effect between electing either one?

Each person has to decide that for themselves. But vote downticket! Provide as much of a check with Congress as we can.

Reminder that Joe Biden was part of an administration that assassinated an American teenager with drones, without a criminal trial or imminent threat posed. Reminder that Joe Biden was part of an administration that deported record numbers of immigrants.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
People die constantly because of the systems we created and support. This hard cleave between business as usual and the evil of Trump specifically is artificial and a way for people like you to feel like heroes.
Yeah tbh every president is a murderer.

Of the two we got right now though, Biden is a better one, small comfort there.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe stop nominating men for office, They are all bad.

Edit: i meant this in the context of all the men that ran this year. I think there were multiple better female candidates.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a dirty foreigner looking from the outside, is there no realistic recourse to have Biden drop off and replace him with better candidates?
Because I can see how having to choose between two rapists is unpalatable to people, and I'm as utilitarian as they come.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Waiting for his response. Unless this blows up to the point he cannot avoid it, he'll likely take silence as his option.

Which is also terrible. I also am doubting he will drop out unless the donors tell him to.

Going to be really hard to press the button, but with the alternative option ripping apart my family, friends, and nation, I may have to do it anyway.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California

Then our country is lost. In a lot of peoples eyes once you do something like rape. That equals 100% in terms of horrible person (who at the very least shouldn't be in a position of power). There's no 101% just because your raped one more time than the other person. Nor is there a -1% because you happen to have positive ideals on another topic.

On top of this, at least to me a person defending either and making excuses is no better than the supporter of the other. They both done reprehensible things and have yet to be taken to task for their crimes.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
i think that the only way to stop people from not voting for a man who has been accused of r*** is

- and this might be controversial -

not nominating a man who has been accused of r***

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rapist (D) or Rapist (R).

What wonderful options you all have. Amazing to see the defence force for Biden in light of the accusations but when it was PussyGate for Trump....fucking lol.

I'm not gonna shame anyone who doesn't vote this year in the election if their choices are between these two.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, just don't vote for a rapist.
I've always been "Vote Blue No Matter Who."

With the current accusations, I don't know if I can keep saying that...

And I'm a queer PoC.
I will not vote for joe Biden. Let the DNC figure out their nominee.
"Vote for OUR rapist"

Okay, great. So don't check Biden when you go vote, leave that spot blank, and risk 4 more years of Trump.

He's not the only person running in November though, so still show up at the ballot box and vote for down ballot positions. Maybe you don't like Biden, fine, don't vote for him, but I'm sure there's someone running for local, state, or congressional positions that you might like.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I hate to agree with OP because Biden is a shit candidate, but it's true. Biden for better or worse is the best of two really shitty options come this election. Yeah its absolute bullshit you have to vote for a possible rapist, but you either vote Democrat or Trump wins and things get even fucking worse for this country. That's the reality. Nothing is going to change it. The sooner people accept that fact the better.

Edit: To be clear I am not saying everyone should vote for Biden no matter what. If you feel like you can't in good conscience vote for him then that's fine. If you cannot bring yourself to vote for him because you yourself are a survivor of sexual abuse then I completely understand. But you have to realize that it's basically what happened last election. Alot of people didn't like Hillary for whatever reason and chose not to vote at all. That led to Trump winning and the last 3 years of hell that this country has endured. The only way that changes if if the Dems hold the White House. American politics is a flaming trash pile, but we can't fix that before the election. In a perfect world we wouldn't be forced into this kind of bullshit choice, but it's the only choice we have. That's just how it is.

Last edited:

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
This country is a mess. We're now calling people privileged because they can't accept being a hypocrite as easily as you.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can avoid this shit right now by having Biden drop out. Isn't it a display of your privelege to tell people to vote for a rapist? You don't know what certain users reading this have been through....

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I already pmed a mod a while ago about this but I'm fucking tired of seeing people like the OP talking about privilege of people they know nothing about. This shit is exhausting and should be bannable.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Seriously though, you can't shame anyone for not wanting to vote for a rapist.

You could maybe shame them for wanting to vote for a moderate, but a rapist too? Nah.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, I know black, gay, trans, etc. people in far left groups who do not vote. This argument that not voting is pure privilege is just liberal bullshit.

PS. I vote.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We're literally killing immigrants en masse and people are equivocating.

I get Biden is a bad guy, but nowhere near as destructive as trump is for the country as a whole.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Telling women of all persuasions, many of whom are rape and sexual assault survivors, that not voting for Biden is privileged is an interesting strategy to convince them.

Honestly I think the more privileged thinking is operating under the dichotomy that the horrors of the American machine only come to light under Republican candidates, that getting Trump out is the only thing that matters even if it means stepping on and erasing a bunch of minorities to do so.

This whole row presents an interesting challenge that we've yet to solve: how much of your morals are worth sacrificing to make sure the other guy doesn't win?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What about the third choice of not voting for a rapist at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.